Smoked Sailfish

Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bk

Default Smoked Sailfish

Looking for advice on smoking a piece of Sailfish that we just got. I don't
think that I should do the same as with Salmon.
Please help.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

bk wrote:

Looking for advice on smoking a piece of Sailfish that we just got. I don't
think that I should do the same as with Salmon.
Please help.

I've never heard of people eating sailfish. Are you sure it isn't
swordfish?

I have smoked a lot of different fish. Many will say that salmon,
trout, kingfish, tuna, and the other oily fish are the only species you
can smoke.

I'm close to the ocean and I and friends, have smoked dolphin, wahoo,
snapper, grouper, etc. It's all a matter of time. Fish smokes quickly
so never overdo it.

Eat it hot, cold, or in a dip. My preference is a good smoked fish dip.

Drop a post when you are done.

Dan
Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bk

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
bk wrote:

Looking for advice on smoking a piece of Sailfish that we just got. I
don't think that I should do the same as with Salmon.
Please help.

I've never heard of people eating sailfish. Are you sure it isn't
swordfish?

I have smoked a lot of different fish. Many will say that salmon, trout,
kingfish, tuna, and the other oily fish are the only species you can
smoke.

I'm close to the ocean and I and friends, have smoked dolphin, wahoo,
snapper, grouper, etc. It's all a matter of time. Fish smokes quickly so
never overdo it.

Eat it hot, cold, or in a dip. My preference is a good smoked fish dip.

Drop a post when you are done.

Dan

Dan,
Turns out that you're correct, it's Swordfish. Up until my teens we ate
smoked marlina and sail, but not in years. Used to be a smokehouse in Miami
that did dolphin jerky, smoked king...
So do these sal****er fish need to be cured as the salmon? And is Swordfish
ok for smoking? Only have had it grilled, usually served too dry for me, but
I'l try almost anything.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Good advice on smoking fish.

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

OTOH, most people grill steak and smoke brisket or pork butt. The fish
that you got is more like steak, I think, and would be better grilled
hot and hot.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm close to the ocean and I and friends, have smoked dolphin, wahoo,
snapper, grouper, etc. It's all a matter of time. Fish smokes quickly
so never overdo it.

Eat it hot, cold, or in a dip. My preference is a good smoked fish dip.

Dan, could you post a recipe for a good smoked fish dip? I'd love to try
it!

Thanks.

Sheila

Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:
"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm close to the ocean and I and friends, have smoked dolphin, wahoo,
snapper, grouper, etc. It's all a matter of time. Fish smokes quickly
so never overdo it.

Eat it hot, cold, or in a dip. My preference is a good smoked fish dip.

Dan, could you post a recipe for a good smoked fish dip? I'd love to try
it!

Thanks.

Sheila

Smoked Fish Dip

* 1 cups crumbled smoked fish
* 1/2 cup milk
* 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
* 1/4 cup finely minced onion
* 1 stalk finely chopped celery
* 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
* Cayenne, salt and pepper to taste

Put the smoked fish in a medium bowl and add the milk. Cover and chill
for 30 minutes to an hour. Stir in the cream cheese, onion, celery,
parsley, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne, salt and pepper
to taste.
Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours until flavors have blended.
Serve with your favorite crackers.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:23 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

bk wrote:

[...]

They should all be prepared with a brine. It's just a simple mixture of
water, salt and a little brown sugar for a few hours in the
refrigerator. The amount of salt you choose is a matter of taste based
on the fish.

Dan
Old 04-06-2006, 04:23 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...
WhansaMi wrote:
[...]

Sounds pretty darn easy. I've got just about all the ingredients, too.
Thanks, Dan!

kili

Old 04-06-2006, 05:01 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

WhansaMi wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

I like to go a bit heavier on the fish and often skip the fresh parsley
and add a bit of the dried variety. I have also used a dash of onion
powder if I didn't have a fresh onion to chop up.

I'm not a fan of Mayo based smoked fish dips. This is the best I've
found so far. Bring on any others!

Dan