Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best style

I'm new to this group, but have been around 'Q a few times,
<grin> I certainly don't hold myself to be as good as the
more dedicated barbecuers, but I've not caused anybody to
choke yet, and a few people have even come back for seconds.
My bride and I grew up in central MO on KC-style ribs,
greens, banana pudding and pintos in barbecue sauce. Later,
we moved to NC, where we learned to enjoy and then love
NC-style of 'Q, with the hot vinegar sauce and more banana
pudding. During that time in our life, we also tried and
then decided we really liked dry rubbed ribs of the Memphis
style.

To complicate our life more, I did a lot of business in
Texas and later on my son moved to Austin. He had been a
student in Greenville, NC, where he became a fanatic on the
NC style. Then, in Austin, he discovered that you could
cook a cow and call it brisket. He also discovered hot links
at Rudy's, and thinks that they're about as good as it gets,
also. He'd already had his fill of my turkey and chicken in
NC, but now tells me that it's better in Texas.

I guess one of the reasons I'm finally raising my old head
in this astute group is to ask which is best. Perhaps some
of the wiser folks here could list the best meat t in
descending order and then add a subcategory of the best
cooking method. Finally, a ranking of KC style, NC style,
Lexington style and dry rubs would finally let me get my
priorities right.

By the way, I don't mean this as a troll or to start some
kind of fight. I go back to the days of Dave Linebeck's
maillist and his updates on building Wilbur 1, have eaten
Belly's ribs at the Waco cookoff and had a wonderful
conversation with Ms. Susy (RIP). I got away from the
barbecue talk for a few years, but sure enjoy the positive
things in this newsgroup and hope to learn a lot more. Now,
how about straightening me out on which is the best Q? Is
it better in a gas or electric oven?

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> I guess one of the reasons I'm finally raising my old head in this astute
> group is to ask which is best. Perhaps some of the wiser folks here could
> list the best meat t in descending order and then add a subcategory of the
> best cooking method. Finally, a ranking of KC style, NC style, Lexington
> style and dry rubs would finally let me get my priorities right.

They are all the best. Depending on my mood, I'll do one or the other or
even a couple at the same time. Sort of like asking if sex is good. Is it
ever bad?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
SNIP
> I guess one of the reasons I'm finally raising my old head in this
> astute group is to ask which is best. Perhaps some of the wiser folks
> here could list the best meat t in descending order and then add a
> subcategory of the best cooking method. Finally, a ranking of KC style,
> NC style, Lexington style and dry rubs would finally let me get my
> priorities right.

SNIP

> Nonnymus

Its all good, as long as it isn't burnt or still raw.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> I guess one of the reasons I'm finally raising my old head
> in this astute group is to ask which is best. Perhaps some
> of the wiser folks here could list the best meat t in
> descending order and then add a subcategory of the best
> cooking method.

My favourite is more.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:35:18 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Perhaps some
>of the wiser folks here could list the best meat t in
>descending order and then add a subcategory of the best
>cooking method. Finally, a ranking of KC style, NC style,
>Lexington style and dry rubs would finally let me get my
>priorities right.

Afterward, we can decide what's the very best ice cream flavor in the
whole wide world!

>By the way, I don't mean this as a troll or to start some
>kind of fight.

<snip>

> Now,
>how about straightening me out on which is the best Q? Is
>it better in a gas or electric oven?

Why do those last two sentences seem so at odds with "I don't mean
this as a troll . . ."?

PS: Electric, of course, for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Nonnymus > wrote:

> I guess one of the reasons I'm finally raising my old head
> in this astute group is to ask which is best.

Almost always, the Best Q is the stuff which is piled high on the plate in
front of me. Second best is the stuff I make at home after hours and
hours of work.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>>Now,
>>how about straightening me out on which is the best Q? Is
>>it better in a gas or electric oven?

> Why do those last two sentences seem so at odds with "I don't mean
> this as a troll . . ."?

exactly what I thought. I was with 'im 'till that sentance
and then said "aw shit, here's another one just trying to
stir the pot"...

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>>> Now, how about straightening me out on which is the best Q? Is it
>>> better in a gas or electric oven?

>> Why do those last two sentences seem so at odds with "I don't mean
>> this as a troll . . ."?

> exactly what I thought. I was with 'im 'till that sentance and then said
> "aw shit, here's another one just trying to stir the pot"...

Nah, I was just grinning as I was typing. We live in Las
Vegas, now, and cook outside almost every night. It's just
silly to cook indoors and generate all that heat when you're
having to also run the air conditioner. Sadly, out here
there it really isn't that practical to cook with genuine
wood and even charcoal is a problem. The lot sizes are very
small and the back yard is typically filled with a pool, spa
and a few big rocks.

Back in the Carolinas and Missouri, where I have experience
with real 'Q, the lots are large and there is room for
smokers, stacks of wood and places to dump the ashes. In my
case, the gas grill we have at least includes a drawer with
burner below that I can fill with wood chips for at least
some smoke flavor. Instead of chips, I use natural charcoal
to cut down on that blasted creosote you get from wood that
hasn't been preburned. It isn't perfect, but it's better
than nothing.

OK, I started off my "introduction" with a little grin that
some might have thought was a troll. Sorry. By way of
apology, here's a URL to Harbor Freight and one of the best
toys a barbecuer or outdoor person can have. I just got one
for $3 at our local store, but they can also be ordered. The
darned things are well made and work great.
http://tinyurl.com/m2a7d I hope that this makes amends. <Grin>

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> OK, I started off my "introduction" with a little grin that some might
> have thought was a troll. Sorry. By way of apology, here's a URL to
> Harbor Freight and one of the best toys a barbecuer or outdoor person
> can have. I just got one for $3 at our local store, but they can also
> be ordered. The darned things are well made and work great.
> http://tinyurl.com/m2a7d I hope that this makes amends. <Grin>
>
> Nonnymus

Phew... feeling much better now. ;-) It's just that there
has been a rash of crap around here lately and the
"Nonnymus" handle didn't sit well either...

My choice for baby backs is "naked". Remove membrane, room
temp, S&P, on the WSM at 250dF until they "break" when bent
and sauce served on the side.

Wanna flavor 'em at your place though, I ain't got a problem
with that. You're eatin' it. ;-D

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Phew... feeling much better now. ;-) It's just that there has been a
> rash of crap around here lately and the "Nonnymus" handle didn't sit
> well either...
>
> My choice for baby backs is "naked". Remove membrane, room temp, S&P, on
> the WSM at 250dF until they "break" when bent and sauce served on the side.
>
> Wanna flavor 'em at your place though, I ain't got a problem with that.
> You're eatin' it. ;-D

Well, I'm glad I didn't really start out on the wrong foot.
I used to post under my own name, years ago, but when a
kook started emailing my kids, enough was enough.

When I cook baby backs, nowadays that I don't have a decent
smoker, I'm forced to improvise. With my gas grill, I can
easily do three racks at a time, cutting each rack in half.
Like you, I generally strip out the pleural membrane and
cut off any tags, loose ends and even remove any gross fat.
I still get misty eyed when I remember how good it was on
a smoker, so I admit to putting on a little rub and sticking
some charcoal flakes into the smoker drawer.

The rub is something I've refined over the years, and I make
it up using "1/4 cups" as the ingredient measure. It's easy
to put it into seal-down lid jars, and I keep excess in the
freezer. When I use it, I've been known to put a couple
tbsp of it into the mortar and pestle to freshen it up a
tad. I'll post it under a separate subject line, in case
folks aren't following this particular thread. It also
makes a darned good Christmas present.

Our grill is a 3-burner type and the drawer for the wood
chips is on the left side. When I do ribs or most anything
that will take time, I light just the left burner and the
burner under the wood tray. That is my version of an offset
and it pretty much works. I use the left burner to regulate
the heat, but with 100f outside temperatures for about 3
seasons of the year, here, holding 250f or so with just the
charcoal flakes isn't that hard.

Nonnymus

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:06:37 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:

> I used to post under my own name, years ago, but when a
>kook started emailing my kids, enough was enough.

Dan Krueger?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Well, I'm glad I didn't really start out on the wrong foot. I used to
> post under my own name, years ago, but when a kook started emailing my
> kids, enough was enough.

Exactly. That only needs to happen once to change your
approach to the internet. It's not the fear factor at
issue (at least for me - if I had kids it might be different),
it's the time and effort involved in dealing with whatever
some nutcase decides to do. It can be very time consuming.

I don't blame you a bit for nyming, and I'm glad you decided
to stick around.

ObBBQ: Sliced the ribs off a choice grade rib roast, which
was aged about a week. Getting ready to toss them in the
smoker.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:06:37 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
>> I used to post under my own name, years ago, but when a
>> kook started emailing my kids, enough was enough.

> Dan Krueger?

Nope, but I've heard his name.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Well, I'm glad I didn't really start out on the wrong foot. I used to
> post under my own name, years ago, but when a kook started emailing my
> kids, enough was enough.

Yeah, that'd torque me right up!

> Our grill is a 3-burner type and the drawer for the wood chips is on the
> left side. When I do ribs or most anything that will take time, I light
> just the left burner and the burner under the wood tray. That is my
> version of an offset and it pretty much works. I use the left burner to
> regulate the heat, but with 100f outside temperatures for about 3
> seasons of the year, here, holding 250f or so with just the charcoal
> flakes isn't that hard.
>
> Nonnymus

Before I got the WSM I did mine on the Weber gasser similar
to you. Certainly good eatin' but watch out for grease build
up on the bottom of the unit.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:06:37 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:
>

>> I used to post under my own name, years ago, but when a
>>kook started emailing my kids, enough was enough.

> Dan Krueger?

You should be very careful what you post, Kevin. This kind of shit can
get you into trouble you never imagined.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
snip
> Back in the Carolinas and Missouri, where I have experience with real
> 'Q, the lots are large and there is room for smokers, stacks of wood and
> places to dump the ashes. In my case, the gas grill we have at least
> includes a drawer with burner below that I can fill with wood chips for
> at least some smoke flavor. Instead of chips, I use natural charcoal to
> cut down on that blasted creosote you get from wood that hasn't been
> preburned. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

snip
> Nonnymus

I almost cried, what a downturn for ya!
--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Piedmont wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
> snip
>> Back in the Carolinas and Missouri, where I have experience with real
>> 'Q, the lots are large and there is room for smokers, stacks of wood
>> and places to dump the ashes. In my case, the gas grill we have at
>> least includes a drawer with burner below that I can fill with wood
>> chips for at least some smoke flavor. Instead of chips, I use natural
>> charcoal to cut down on that blasted creosote you get from wood that
>> hasn't been preburned. It isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

> snip
>> Nonnymus

> I almost cried, what a downturn for ya!

Thanks for the sentiment. (guessing from your name you live
in the Piedmont) We had some darned good 'Q over in
Greensboro when a neighbor kid graduated. I don't remember
the name of the place, but it had a big woodshed and pile of
sawed hardwood over on the west side of the parking lot. I
talked to the owner/manager/guy on the cash register and he
said that they used wood 100%, which explained the good 'Q.
Do you happen to know of the place? Do you get to
Raleigh? We almost lived at Barbecue Lodge and Don Murray's.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Before I got the WSM I did mine on the Weber gasser similar to you.
> Certainly good eatin' but watch out for grease build up on the bottom of
> the unit.

The smaller one we had from Sam's had a tray that fitted
below the burners and could be removed for cleaning from the
rear.
The newer and bigger cabinet model has the same type of
shelf/tray, but it slides out from the front. It's much
more convenient.

Cleaning is sure simple. Long ago, cooking on charcoal, I
learned that aluminum foil can make life really simple. If
grilling on charcoal, spread aluminum foil over the grill
when you're done cooking. The residual heat and fire will
clean the grate to a white powder. With our gas grill, I
put foil on the grates when I start it up and withing 15
minutes, it's stopped smoking and I have a white powder on
the grates. I brush it off and spray on Pam for Grills and
am ready to rock and roll.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dan Krueger wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:06:37 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:
>>

>>> I used to post under my own name, years ago, but when a kook started
>>> emailing my kids, enough was enough.

>> Dan Krueger?

> You should be very careful what you post, Kevin. This kind of shit can
> get you into trouble you never imagined.

Amen. I hate not using my own name anymore, but there are
literally millions of people worldwide who read newsgroups.
It only takes one troubled person to take offense at
something you say, don't say, believe, don't believe or even
imply for it to get really nasty.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Cleaning is sure simple. Long ago, cooking on charcoal, I learned that
> aluminum foil can make life really simple. If grilling on charcoal, spread
> aluminum foil over the grill when you're done cooking. The residual heat
> and fire will clean the grate to a white powder. With our gas grill, I
> put foil on the grates when I start it up and withing 15 minutes, it's
> stopped smoking and I have a white powder on the grates. I brush it off
> and spray on Pam for Grills and am ready to rock and roll.
>
> Nonnymus

Hey- That's a very good tip, thanks. I do like learning something new
(to me).

Brian

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Whatever someone puts in front of me when I'm hungry.

Nonnymus

Canadian-style Yellow Split-Pea Soup with a beer base - A question of style? Peter LaFrance General Cooking 10 06-09-2013 03:49 PM
Create Your Style [email protected] Barbecue 0 21-04-2008 09:54 AM
Style FAQ TechMyst Beer 11 23-08-2006 06:27 PM
what style of cooking? Ted Shoemaker General Cooking 4 03-06-2004 05:06 AM