Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default home made barrel smoker

Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
grill - 35 bucks (booo)

making your own barrel smoker...priceless
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker3.jpg
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker2.jpg - just warming up for ribs today
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/smoker6.jpg
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker1.jpg
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker4.jpg - the guts of the thing, 1500w
grill near the bottom, temp controler up near the grill area.
easily goes as high as 260 (did some chicken breast the other day), perfect
temp control using the bbq controler.
have the ribs on at 225 right now...will report back tonight. The next mod
will be to install a drip pan and a water pan possibly to get better
indirect heat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> grill - 35 bucks (booo)
>
> making your own barrel smoker...priceless

LOL, I saw the first pic and thought "no way!"

Well done. Was the inspiration during the imbiding of it's contents?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> grill - 35 bucks (booo)
>
> making your own barrel smoker...priceless
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker3.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker2.jpg - just warming up for ribs

today
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/smoker6.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker1.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker4.jpg - the guts of the thing, 1500w
> grill near the bottom, temp controler up near the grill area.
> easily goes as high as 260 (did some chicken breast the other day),

perfect
> temp control using the bbq controler.
> have the ribs on at 225 right now...will report back tonight. The next

mod
> will be to install a drip pan and a water pan possibly to get better
> indirect heat.

2 hours later, 2 or more to go www.dustingodwinphoto.com/ribs.jpg ...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> grill - 35 bucks (booo)
>
> making your own barrel smoker...priceless
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker3.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker2.jpg - just warming up for ribs

today
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/smoker6.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker1.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker4.jpg - the guts of the thing, 1500w
> grill near the bottom, temp controler up near the grill area.
> easily goes as high as 260 (did some chicken breast the other day),

perfect
> temp control using the bbq controler.
> have the ribs on at 225 right now...will report back tonight. The next

mod
> will be to install a drip pan and a water pan possibly to get better
> indirect heat.

Close to 5 hours later:
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/ribs2.jpg
home made sauce with about 50/50 red wine vin. and brown sugar+ spices...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> > Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> > 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> > grill - 35 bucks (booo)
> >
> > making your own barrel smoker...priceless

> LOL, I saw the first pic and thought "no way!"
>
> Well done. Was the inspiration during the imbiding of it's contents?
>

> --

Thanks man :-), made a clay pot smoker 2 summers ago but it was
flakey...this is the new imporved version, with part of the old smoker
inside ;-).

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> grill - 35 bucks (booo)
>
> making your own barrel smoker...priceless
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker3.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker2.jpg - just warming up for ribs
> today
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/smoker6.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker1.jpg
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker4.jpg - the guts of the thing, 1500w
> grill near the bottom, temp controler up near the grill area.
> easily goes as high as 260 (did some chicken breast the other day),
> perfect
> temp control using the bbq controler.
> have the ribs on at 225 right now...will report back tonight. The next
> mod
> will be to install a drip pan and a water pan possibly to get better
> indirect heat.

Is there a way to add wood chips or hardwood sawdust to make real smoke?

--Rich

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rich" > wrote in message

> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> > Swish barrel - cost -0.00 (hey I got it for the booze)
> > 2nd hand electric bbq - 5 bucks
> > grill - 35 bucks (booo)
> >
> > making your own barrel smoker...priceless
> > www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker3.jpg
> > www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker2.jpg - just warming up for ribs
> > today
> > www.dustingodwinphoto.com/smoker6.jpg
> > www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker1.jpg
> > www.dustingodwinphoto.com/supersmoker4.jpg - the guts of the thing,

1500w
> > grill near the bottom, temp controler up near the grill area.
> > easily goes as high as 260 (did some chicken breast the other day),
> > perfect
> > temp control using the bbq controler.
> > have the ribs on at 225 right now...will report back tonight. The next
> > mod
> > will be to install a drip pan and a water pan possibly to get better
> > indirect heat.

> Is there a way to add wood chips or hardwood sawdust to make real smoke?
>
> --Rich

Yup, it wouldn't be called a smoker without that ;-) I wrapped cherry wood
in foil and put that on the burner. The sides of the grill are little wings
that flip up so I can change it with tongs or I can just lift the whole
grill out (has handles) for better access. I thought of putting in a little
door near the bottom but I'd rather be smokin stuff in it then working on it
any more :-)

First smoke ever on my home made smoker Marc Barbecue 9 27-06-2006 02:04 PM
Home made smoker Hugh G. Rection Barbecue 36 30-06-2005 11:45 PM
Pics of home made smoker Dirty Harry Barbecue 4 07-07-2004 11:20 PM
Home Made Cold Smoker Fool Barbecue 12 04-04-2004 08:21 PM
Double Barrel Smoker Don Jough Barbecue 2 13-02-2004 01:00 AM