Oven 'barbecued' memphis style dry ribs - question

Old 22-05-2006, 07:57 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

Default Oven 'barbecued' memphis style dry ribs - question

Please don't flame me, I just don't have the WSM ready to go yet, but
had a hankerin' for some oven "bbq" ribs. I have a question about
temperature.

Please know that I like my pork ribs on the dry/crunchy/slightly
overcooked side with a crunchy, even maybe slightly burnt finish,
especially on the bone/membrane side. Again, please don't flame me for
my preference.

I have 2 racks of the St. Louis style ribs well rubbed with my
favorite rub, which includes the following:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
4 tbsp light brown sugar
Touch of liquid smoke rubbed into both sides of the ribs before the
dry rub goes on (I know, I know, but it's just a touch).

I bake the ribs in a convection oven, on a middle rack with good
drainage, so the ribs don't steam in juice. Like I said, I like 'em
dry and a bit crunchy on the top and bottom.

The question relates to temp and cooking times. Is it best to cook the
ribs at a lower temp (320) initially, and them raise the temp near the
end to finish them off, or, is it better to keep a steady temp all the
way through and just wait for then to dry and crisp?

BTW, is use 320 for the bulk of the cooking because sugar begins to
melt and burn at 325.

What temp and timing would you recommend for what I like?

Old 22-05-2006, 08:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

BTW, is use 320 for the bulk of the cooking because sugar begins to
melt and burn at 325.

I meant I use 320 for the ...
Old 22-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:
Please don't flame me, I just don't have the WSM ready to go yet, but
had a hankerin' for some oven "bbq" ribs. I have a question about
temperature.

This is best asked on rec.food.cooking. Why not just call your concoction
oven roasted ribs? Not all cooked ribs have to be bbq -- sometimes I like
to throw some ribs into a crockpot with sauerkraut. If you get "flamed",
it's because of the use of "bbq" even in quotations, not the method of
cooking.

BTW, if you fear that liquid smoke will bring about a negative response, a
"touch" is not a defense that will make it more acceptable to those to whom
it is anathema. No more so than trying to explain to a judge that you are
not guilty because you only committed a "touch" of murder.

As I said, this is a question best asked in the appropriate NG; especially
if you aren't trolling and want a genuine, flame-free response. YMMV.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 22-05-2006, 07:00 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

[...]

OK, point well taken. Will do.
Old 22-05-2006, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:29:13 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Abe wrote:
[...]

Why don't you STFU you ignorant old coot. He asked a question about
temperature, if you don't know the answer why the hell did you bother
to answer him? Oh, thats right, everyone except your little group are
trolls. what a dumbass...

Old 22-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:
snip
What temp and timing would you recommend for what I like?

I'd use one temp, 250F the entire time, cook until ribs 'break' when bent.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Old 22-05-2006, 11:24 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ringo wrote:

Why don't you STFU you ignorant old coot.

Nah.

.. Oh, thats right, everyone except your little group are
trolls. what a dumbass...

The only troll here is you, bubba.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 23-05-2006, 03:43 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 May 2006 15:24:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Ringo wrote:

Why don't you STFU you ignorant old coot.

Nah.

.. Oh, thats right, everyone except your little group are
trolls. what a dumbass...

The only troll here is you, bubba.

I just reviewed a couple of this fellow's posts.

I recommend that

- he take some anger management/civilized behaviour training

- I plonk him.

So - Plonk.

Harry
Old 23-05-2006, 10:46 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

Abe wrote:
[...]

The name of this group is alt.food.barbcue. What is it that you don't
understand about BBQ? BBQ by definition in this group is not done
in an oven. BBQ by definition includes fire and smoke. If you can't
handle that, you can expect to be treated rudely in this group. Dave
(Politely) referred the OP to the appropriate group. Dave is a long
way from an "Old Coot".

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)
Old 23-05-2006, 03:22 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ah, another AFB "classic-in-the-making"

How long will this thread stay alive and off-topic? Will the flames rise
higher than a creosote fire in a 55 gallon grill? Will the "bugg"-ery
continue? Will someone invoke Hitler and racism?

Stay tuned. . .

wrote in message
.. .

Old 23-05-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Keep on Plonkin'" wrote in message
Ah, another AFB "classic-in-the-making"

How long will this thread stay alive and off-topic? Will the flames rise
higher than a creosote fire in a 55 gallon grill? Will the "bugg"-ery
continue? Will someone invoke Hitler and racism?

Stay tuned. . .

Are you typing with both hands on the keyboard or keeping one hand on
your joystick? Damn I'm envious. How do I cultivate a newsgroup groupie?
What's the secret? I've got the decoder ring!

Old 23-05-2006, 10:32 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote in
:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:35:36 -0500, Piedmont wrote:

Abe wrote:
snip
What temp and timing would you recommend for what I like?

I'd use one temp, 250F the entire time, cook until ribs 'break' when
bent.

I agree with Piedmont. And I agree with Dave B about not calling 'em
'barbecued'.

And they're not "Memphis style", either.
Old 24-05-2006, 01:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-May-2006, "Keep on Plonkin'" wrote:

Ah, another AFB "classic-in-the-making"

How long will this thread stay alive and off-topic? Will the flames rise
higher than a creosote fire in a 55 gallon grill? Will the "bugg"-ery
continue? Will someone invoke Hitler and racism?

Stay tuned. . .

wrote in message
.. .

On 22-May-2006, Ringo wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:29:13 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Abe wrote:

Perhaps you will have the balls to identify yourself. Perhaps not.
If not, then **** off. We know who we are. You don't seem to know
who we are. Yet you are actively badmouthing people who have
the ability to seek you out and do you harm.
--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)
Old 24-05-2006, 07:47 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

Thank you for actually answering the question. It was apparent from
the post of the person who actually asked the question, that he had
been lurking in this group for awhile and knew full well that the post
would probably generate a bunch of posts refusing to answer the
question, instead concentrating on the fact that what he is creating
is not bbq. Of course it's not bbq, but the people who follow this
group happen to be the most suitable folks to actually give him an
appropriate answer. Your simple one sentence response will provide
this fella with some decent baked/oven roasted/NOT bbq ribs that will
probably still taste pretty good.

Thanks for your post. I was going to give Dave a piece of my mind, but
as you know, arguing on the internet is a useless waste of time.

Next time I go over to Wenatchee (where Dave is), maybe I'll give Dave
a little smack in the back of the head for being such an elitist BBQ
ahole.
Old 24-05-2006, 07:49 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

I'd use one temp, 250F the entire time, cook until ribs 'break' when bent.
Thatnks. I followed your advice about temp. At 3 hours they were
perfect. Well done, and slighlty crunchy on the outside. Just the way
I like 'em.