Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WSM versus Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker

Does anyone have experience with the Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body
Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker?
I am trying to decide between the Weber Smokey Mtn. and a gas smoker.
would like to smoke at a very low temp, as low as 100F, as well as the
usual
225F and I would like to leave the smoker alone for a long time
without concern.
Any thoughts from users of the Great Outdoors product would be highly
appreciated, as well as experiences of other gas grills.
Thanks,
Kent

Attached Images

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34"
> Wide Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker?

Kent, I have customers who use the Great Outdoors smoker, and they seem to
like it. When I've talked about their experiences using it, I have the
impression that it lacks the air tightness of the WSM and so would be
difficult to regulate temp via lump or charcoal alone. With the gas burner,
however, you can just dial in the temp, using wood chunks to provide the
smoke.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body
> Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker?
> I am trying to decide between the Weber Smokey Mtn. and a gas smoker.
> would like to smoke at a very low temp, as low as 100F, as well as the
> usual
> 225F and I would like to leave the smoker alone for a long time
> without concern.
> Any thoughts from users of the Great Outdoors product would be highly
> appreciated, as well as experiences of other gas grills.
> Thanks,
> Kent

NO! If you want low temperature stability, with smoke, this
unit won't do it for you.

The lowest you'll be able to generate smoke with this unit,
*and* maintain a stable temp is around 150-160 F.

Trust me on this Kent, I've tried it. It's a great smoker, but
not for that temp range.

If you want smoke at 100 F, see my previous post(s) about
"smoke without heat". Just ask these guys, they'll back
me up on this

Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...
> Kent wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience with the Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide
>> Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker?
>> I am trying to decide between the Weber Smokey Mtn. and a gas
>> smoker. I
>> would like to smoke at a very low temp, as low as 100F, as well as
>> the usual
>> 225F and I would like to leave the smoker alone for a long time
>> without concern.
>> Any thoughts from users of the Great Outdoors product would be
>> highly
>> appreciated, as well as experiences of other gas grills.
>> Thanks,
>> Kent

> NO! If you want low temperature stability, with smoke, this
> unit won't do it for you.
>
> The lowest you'll be able to generate smoke with this unit,
> *and* maintain a stable temp is around 150-160 F.
>
> Trust me on this Kent, I've tried it. It's a great smoker, but
> not for that temp range.
>
> If you want smoke at 100 F, see my previous post(s) about
> "smoke without heat". Just ask these guys, they'll back
> me up on this

> Reg

Reg, I remember clearly your post and again, thanks. I'm absolutely sure
you're right on. The certified tightwad in me requires me to chase any and
all possible cheap low temp. choices. My late mother would turn over in her
cremation urn if I didn't.
Thanks again,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:28:49 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Reg" > wrote in message
et...
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with the Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide
>>> Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker?
>>> I am trying to decide between the Weber Smokey Mtn. and a gas
>>> smoker. I
>>> would like to smoke at a very low temp, as low as 100F, as well as
>>> the usual
>>> 225F and I would like to leave the smoker alone for a long time
>>> without concern.
>>> Any thoughts from users of the Great Outdoors product would be
>>> highly
>>> appreciated, as well as experiences of other gas grills.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kent

>> NO! If you want low temperature stability, with smoke, this
>> unit won't do it for you.
>>
>> The lowest you'll be able to generate smoke with this unit,
>> *and* maintain a stable temp is around 150-160 F.
>>
>> Trust me on this Kent, I've tried it. It's a great smoker, but
>> not for that temp range.
>>
>> If you want smoke at 100 F, see my previous post(s) about
>> "smoke without heat". Just ask these guys, they'll back
>> me up on this

>> Reg
>>

>Reg, I remember clearly your post and again, thanks. I'm absolutely sure
>you're right on. The certified tightwad in me requires me to chase any and
>all possible cheap low temp. choices. My late mother would turn over in her
>cremation urn if I didn't.
>Thanks again,
>Kent

Must.....resist...temptation...

It....would....be.....tasteless........

<We interrupt this newsgoup post to report that Chef Juke is suffering
from a bout of temporary apoplexy. Family members report that he was
stricken while trying to refrain from making a somewhat tasteless
humourous comment in response to an internet post he had just read.
Mr. Juke is expected to make a full recovery after a stern talking to
by his wife indicating that a humourous comment combining BBQ
terminology and funeral urns would be WHOLLY inappropriate.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup>

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:28:49 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>>"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...

>>> NO! If you want low temperature stability, with smoke, this
>>> unit won't do it for you.
>>>
>>> The lowest you'll be able to generate smoke with this unit,
>>> *and* maintain a stable temp is around 150-160 F.
>>>
>>> Trust me on this Kent, I've tried it. It's a great smoker, but
>>> not for that temp range.
>>>
>>> If you want smoke at 100 F, see my previous post(s) about
>>> "smoke without heat". Just ask these guys, they'll back
>>> me up on this

>>> Reg
>>>

>>Reg, I remember clearly your post and again, thanks. I'm absolutely sure
>>you're right on. The certified tightwad in me requires me to chase any and
>>all possible cheap low temp. choices. My late mother would turn over in
>>her
>>cremation urn if I didn't.
>>Thanks again,
>>Kent
>>

> Must.....resist...temptation...
>
> It....would....be.....tasteless........
>
> <We interrupt this newsgoup post to report that Chef Juke is suffering
> from a bout of temporary apoplexy. Family members report that he was
> stricken while trying to refrain from making a somewhat tasteless
> humourous comment in response to an internet post he had just read.
> Mr. Juke is expected to make a full recovery after a stern talking to
> by his wife indicating that a humourous comment combining BBQ
> terminology and funeral urns would be WHOLLY inappropriate.
>
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup>
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Hi Juke,
Just a quick aside. I knew Ken Wolfe in a non cooking capacity before he
retired and visited him at his Lafayette home. He gave me a copy of this
cookbook. I had some fresh sturgeon roe from the delta, and he cured it into
the best cavier we have ever had. I had heard he passed away. A good man,
and a great chef/teacher.
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default This somehow got reposted; sorry for the clutter

I don't have the foggiest how this happened. Again, sorry for the
unnecessary
clutter. God knows we get enough of that
..
Kent

BTW, it would be my view that this message should be top posted.
Have a productive, enlightened day!

"TastelessOne" > wrote in message
> Chef Juke said
>
>> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:28:49 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Reg" > wrote in message
.net...

>>>Reg, I remember clearly your post and again, thanks. I'm
>>>absolutely sure you're right on. The certified tightwad in me
>>>requires me to chase any and all possible cheap low temp.
>>>choices. My late mother would turn over in her cremation urn if I
>>>didn't. Thanks again,
>>>Kent
>>>

>> Must.....resist...temptation...
>>
>> It....would....be.....tasteless........
>>
>> <We interrupt this newsgoup post to report that Chef Juke is
>> suffering from a bout of temporary apoplexy. Family members
>> report that he was stricken while trying to refrain from making a
>> somewhat tasteless humourous comment in response to an internet
>> post he had just read. Mr. Juke is expected to make a full
>> recovery after a stern talking to by his wife indicating that a
>> humourous comment combining BBQ terminology and funeral urns
>> would be WHOLLY inappropriate.
>>
>> We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup>

> OK, I'll post it for you. Funeral urns are known to be very
> airtight and make excellent smokers. Just make sure you remember
> which ashes are for keeping and which are not.
>
> Close?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
>I don't have the foggiest how this happened. Again, sorry for the
>unnecessary
> clutter. God knows we get enough of that
> .
> Kent
>
> BTW, it would be my view that this message should be top posted.
> Have a productive, enlightened day!

Whatever.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:50:06 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>BTW, it would be my view that this message should be top posted.

And you would be wrong. Again.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:50:06 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>BTW, it would be my view that this message should be top posted.

> And you would be wrong. Again.

More Clutter???

More on the Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain(sold by Walmart)... 43fan Barbecue 0 22-10-2006 03:11 PM
Great Outdoors Grill Banjo Barbecue 13 31-03-2005 08:09 PM
Great Outdoors Smoker HS Barbecue 4 17-07-2004 11:41 PM
New Great Outdoors Big Block Gas Smoker? Dave K. Barbecue 5 27-03-2004 03:30 PM
Smokey Mountain Series by Great Outdoors David Barbecue 1 13-03-2004 02:16 PM