Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default "Spatchcocking" a chicken.

I've seen this term several times- what does it mean to spatchcock a
bird?

Thanks,

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin wrote:
> I've seen this term several times- what does it mean to spatchcock a
> bird?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JimnGin

With poultry shears cut out the backbone. (save it for stock)

Place the chicken breast up and mash it down flat.

Now you can grill an entire chicken and get it all done properly. Takes
less time as well.

--
TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin wrote:

> I've seen this term several times- what does it mean to spatchcock a
> bird?

It's a term some of these guys like for butterflying the chicken. Cut
out the backbone, spread it flat. Speeds up cooking time but takes more
space and doesn't give a nice whole bird for presentation, if that
matters (usually the grub is more important).

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2006 18:39:28 GMT, "Default User"
> > wrote:
>
> > It's a term some of these guys like for butterflying the chicken.
> > Cut out the backbone, spread it flat. Speeds up cooking time but
> > takes more space and doesn't give a nice whole bird for
> > presentation, if that matters (usually the grub is more important).

> There's really no practical way to grill a whole bird without
> spatchcocking. I think it looks much more presentable than
> grilling individual pieces, fer sure.

Oh sure, for a whole bird in direct heat heat application. For indirect
heat, it's not as necessary.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin wrote:
> I've seen this term several times- what does it mean to spatchcock a
> bird?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JimnGin

As the others mentioned, you cut out the backbone and spread it open.
Then after it's spread open, you make a slit in the cartilage covering
the breasbone and you can pop it out. This part was easier than I
thought it was going to be, and it makes the bird lie totally flat.
This also seems like it would be a logical step in "halving" a chicken,
since it seems like it would now be very easy to cut into two
symetrical pieces.

I think the chicken looks really neat layed flat like this.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:12:05 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On 5 Mar 2006 18:39:28 GMT, "Default User"
> wrote:
>
>>It's a term some of these guys like for butterflying the chicken. Cut
>>out the backbone, spread it flat. Speeds up cooking time but takes more
>>space and doesn't give a nice whole bird for presentation, if that
>>matters (usually the grub is more important).

>There's really no practical way to grill a whole bird without
>spatchcocking. I think it looks much more presentable than
>grilling individual pieces, fer sure.
>
>-sw

Here are directions on spatchcocking with pics:

http://tinyurl.com/e8oec

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:53:11 -0800, Chef Juke >
> wrote:
>
>> Here are directions on spatchcocking with pics:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/e8oec

> Thanks for the pic-link, Juke (saved)--but I quibble with some of the
> text the "Hints: Don't use smoke - chicken absorbs it REALLY well
> and, after 1 hour, you might not like the results."
>
> eeeek. I *love* the flavor smoke imparts to birds. Problem of course
> is to get that and crispy skin. Especially a problem for me, as I
> don't have a grill. Vertical watersmoker, yes. Oh well. I can do
> w/o the skin.

My K7 has a 8 lb spatchcocked chicken in it with four modest sized
chunks of black cherry. I _always_ smoke poultry when it's on the K.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:53:11 -0800, Chef Juke >
> wrote:
>
> > Here are directions on spatchcocking with pics:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/e8oec

> Thanks for the pic-link, Juke (saved)--but I quibble with some of the
> text the "Hints: Don't use smoke - chicken absorbs it REALLY well
> and, after 1 hour, you might not like the results."
>
> eeeek. I love the flavor smoke imparts to birds. Problem of course
> is to get that and crispy skin. Especially a problem for me, as I
> don't have a grill. Vertical watersmoker, yes. Oh well. I can do
> w/o the skin.

I tend to agree. I don't use a lot of smoke in this situation, but a
small piece of apple wood lends a nice understated flavor to it.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:21:10 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:53:11 -0800, Chef Juke >
>wrote:
>
>>Here are directions on spatchcocking with pics:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/e8oec

>Thanks for the pic-link, Juke (saved)--but I quibble with some of the
>text the "Hints: Don't use smoke - chicken absorbs it REALLY well
>and, after 1 hour, you might not like the results."
>
>eeeek. I *love* the flavor smoke imparts to birds. Problem of course
>is to get that and crispy skin. Especially a problem for me, as I
>don't have a grill. Vertical watersmoker, yes. Oh well. I can do
>w/o the skin.

Uhh...

Well, dang it. I just looked at the pics for showing the
spatchcocking...didn't actually READ the thing...

My Bad.

"Smoke GOOD!"
-Frankie Stein

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 5 Mar 2006 18:39:28 GMT, "Default User"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's a term some of these guys like for butterflying the chicken. Cut
> >out the backbone, spread it flat. Speeds up cooking time but takes more
> >space and doesn't give a nice whole bird for presentation, if that
> >matters (usually the grub is more important).

> There's really no practical way to grill a whole bird without
> spatchcocking. I think it looks much more presentable than
> grilling individual pieces, fer sure.
>
> -sw

Rotisserie works well but is more work/prep than spatchcocking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:38:30 -0800, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:21:10 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:53:11 -0800, Chef Juke >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Here are directions on spatchcocking with pics:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/e8oec

>>Thanks for the pic-link, Juke (saved)--but I quibble with some of the
>>text the "Hints: Don't use smoke - chicken absorbs it REALLY well
>>and, after 1 hour, you might not like the results."
>>
>>eeeek. I *love* the flavor smoke imparts to birds. Problem of course
>>is to get that and crispy skin. Especially a problem for me, as I
>>don't have a grill. Vertical watersmoker, yes. Oh well. I can do
>>w/o the skin.

>Uhh...
>
>Well, dang it. I just looked at the pics for showing the
>spatchcocking...didn't actually READ the thing...
>
>My Bad.
>
>"Smoke GOOD!"
>-Frankie Stein
>
>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
>www.chefjuke.com

It seems that hardly anybody does research anymore, Juke.

I have posted on Kamado Forum and on the binary group [with pics]
about how to spatch a chicken an get crispy skin - it is so easy that
now I let my 10-year old Ruglet Unit do it.

Mind you she's a pretty good cook.

When our 'First Born' [her mother], was that age, she could/did set up
a 4 ribber roast beast with all the accompaniments [Yorkshire, gravy,
veg & sides], She is an accomplished [but not all that creative - but
The Ruglet Unit is Both. We are quite delighted with her.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:38:35 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> > wrote:
>
>> My K7 has a 8 lb spatchcocked chicken in it with four modest sized
>> chunks of black cherry. I _always_ smoke poultry when it's on the K.

> 8!!! pounds??? You sure that isn't a very young turkey?

Yes. Perdue roaster chickens range from 6.5 to 8 lbs. The local
Hannaford brand roasters run up to 9.5 #. Both are minimally processed,
tender and juicy. Whenever the Hannaford brand are on sale (.59-.69 per
lb) we stock up the freezer.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:52:26 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> > wrote:
>
> >Denny Wheeler wrote:
> >> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:38:35 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"

> >> 8!!! pounds??? You sure that isn't a very young turkey?

> >Yes. Perdue roaster chickens range from 6.5 to 8 lbs. The local
> >Hannaford brand roasters run up to 9.5 #. Both are minimally processed,
> >tender and juicy. Whenever the Hannaford brand are on sale (.59-.69 per
> >lb) we stock up the freezer.

> So where's 'local'? I wouldn't mind some of those--but I've never
> seen nor heard of such here in the NorthWet.
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth

unannounced?"

> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ford%2Cchicken
-----------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/jp5nx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
news

>>> So where's 'local'? I wouldn't mind some of those--but I've never
>>> seen nor heard of such here in the NorthWet.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -denny-

>>http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ford%2Cchicken
>>-----------------------------
>>http://tinyurl.com/jp5nx

> Well, I suppose Florida may be a hair less local to me--but Maine is
> definitely not in my shopping zone. Oh well.
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
> unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

I can't remember where I read this, I think it was in a blog, but someone
was writing about telling their father-in-law that they were about to
spatchcock a chicken to which he replied "Oh yeah? I'm gonna bitchslap a
sirloin."

I spit beer out of my nose and onto my monitor reading that.

Chris