Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator

Old 13-02-2006, 12:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator

Hi all;

I bought some packaged baby back ribs from Costco, the kind in the
thick plastic wrapper (cryo-pack?). I meant to bbq them the next day
but with the meteorite strike and the Nobel Peace Prize thing and all,
I couldn't.

So they sat in the refrigerator a few (4-5) days. I think I keep my
fridge pretty cold, jduging by commesnts of freinds who come over and
drink beer.

Today, I opened the bag to cook 'em. I noticed a strong smell, much
stronger than I'm used to. It wasn't a "bad" odor, just a porkish,
meaty smell that was stronger than I'm used to. The ribs (three
racks) looked fine, colorwise, &tc.

How long will the experts in this group keep an unopened cryo-pack of
ribs in the fridge? A pork shoulder? A brisket? A steak? A
tenderloin?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Old 13-02-2006, 01:08 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message

Today, I opened the bag to cook 'em. I noticed a strong smell, much
stronger than I'm used to. It wasn't a "bad" odor, just a porkish,
meaty smell that was stronger than I'm used to. The ribs (three
racks) looked fine, colorwise, &tc.

How long will the experts in this group keep an unopened cryo-pack of
ribs in the fridge? A pork shoulder? A brisket? A steak? A
tenderloin?

The cryovac package will keep stuff fresh for a long time. I've kept
unfrozen for two weeks with no problem and I've seen dates stamped on
product even longer.

The heavy smell is normal. It is an oxygen free environment and when you
first open a package it has a strong odor. This is normal and it goes away
in a short time.

Old 13-02-2006, 03:15 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Never really tested it but if vacuum sealed I think a couple
weeks would be ok. Ya don't think that they sell them things
immediately, right? ;-)

I bought a Foodsaver and vacuum sealing is the only way to
go. If you keep things cold and air away from them their
shelf life increases dramatically.

The strong smell is normal, don't worry about it. Eat and
enjoy.

--
Steve

Old aunts used to poke me in the ribs at weddings cackling,
"you're next." They stopped after I started doing the same
to them at funerals.
Old 13-02-2006, 03:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:54:31 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

[...]

Had that type of smell with a cryo-pack of butt roasts (Farmer John
brand), smoked 'em (about 7 lb apiece) for about 10 hours and they
were great. If they smell "porky", they're prolly OK. If they smell
like rotten eggs, then I think I'd chuck 'em. JMHO, YMMV, etc...

Steve in Sandy Eggo
Old 13-02-2006, 01:39 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
Hi all;

I bought some packaged baby back ribs from Costco, the kind in the
thick plastic wrapper (cryo-pack?). I meant to bbq them the next day
but with the meteorite strike and the Nobel Peace Prize thing and all,
I couldn't.

So they sat in the refrigerator a few (4-5) days. I think I keep my
fridge pretty cold, jduging by commesnts of freinds who come over and
drink beer.

Today, I opened the bag to cook 'em. I noticed a strong smell, much
stronger than I'm used to. It wasn't a "bad" odor, just a porkish,
meaty smell that was stronger than I'm used to. The ribs (three
racks) looked fine, colorwise, &tc.

I've had pork go bad in the fridge and there is no mistaking that
smell. It was ""bad"".

Cam

Old 13-02-2006, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

How long will the experts in this group keep an unopened cryo-pack of
ribs in the fridge? A pork shoulder? A brisket? A steak? A
tenderloin?

Yopu will know when the meat is bad---it smells bad!! Have never kept pork
more than a couple weeks b4 freezing but regulary do keep brisket at least
45days b4 freezing(dedicated meat fridge!)

Buzz

Old 14-02-2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks everyone;

The smell dissipated pretty fast, and based on the color &tc., I went
ahead and cooked it (3 racks).

It went verrrrry well. I took the racks off (now 6 half-racks),
wrapped them in foil and towels, and stuck them in a cooler. Then the
family ate ate 3. THEN, I forgot to take the other 3 out of the towel
and cooler. SO they sat for 24 hrs, until tonight when I went to the
fridge to get them.

RATS!

-Zz