Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

Default sub for peanut oil in turkey fryer?

What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people coming
is allergic to peanuts.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
> We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people
> coming is allergic to peanuts.
>
> Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
> breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
> option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.
>
> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>> What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
>> We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people
>> coming is allergic to peanuts.
>>
>> Ms P

That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also out.
Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message
"That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also out.
Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things."

Some people have allergies so severe they can have a reaction to food
prepared on a surface which has come into contact with their trigger food.
How well seasoned is your fry pot in peanut oil? Whenever I'm in doubt
about the severity of an allergy, I recommend the fruit cup to such people.
You'd be surprised how many back peddle the severity of their "supposed"
allergy to minor or just dislike for some aspect of the item served.

I find allergies are one of the most misused gastronomique claims people use
to get what they want. The people who misuse allergies to feed their own
petulant picky tastes create a real danger to those who have genuine and
dangerous allergies. Remember! You can't be helpful or cautious with
genuine allergies. It's lucky that helpful and cautious double as severe
and tight with the people trying to manipulate your menu with their
supposedly "severe" allergies.

> Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:29:00 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
>breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
>option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.

Generally I can find canola oil for lower prices than corn oil. But
since ms. peacock's friend is also allergic to corn, that's moot.

Canola's definitely a good all-round oil.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete C.

"D. Winsor" wrote:

> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> "That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also out.
> Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things."
>
> Some people have allergies so severe they can have a reaction to food
> prepared on a surface which has come into contact with their trigger food.
> How well seasoned is your fry pot in peanut oil? Whenever I'm in doubt
> about the severity of an allergy, I recommend the fruit cup to such people.
> You'd be surprised how many back peddle the severity of their "supposed"
> allergy to minor or just dislike for some aspect of the item served.
>
> I find allergies are one of the most misused gastronomique claims people use
> to get what they want. The people who misuse allergies to feed their own
> petulant picky tastes create a real danger to those who have genuine and
> dangerous allergies. Remember! You can't be helpful or cautious with
> genuine allergies. It's lucky that helpful and cautious double as severe
> and tight with the people trying to manipulate your menu with their
> supposedly "severe" allergies.
> >
> > Ms P

I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
landing area for the medivac heli.

I'm only half joking on this too, recall the recent death in Canada from
peanut allergy. At some point someone will be sued because they kissed
someone they knew to have a peanut allergy after having had a Snickers
bar earlier in the day.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"D. Winsor" > wrote in message

> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> "That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also
> out. Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things."
>
> Some people have allergies so severe they can have a reaction to food
> prepared on a surface which has come into contact with their trigger food.
> How well seasoned is your fry pot in peanut oil? Whenever I'm in doubt
> about the severity of an allergy, I recommend the fruit cup to such
> people. You'd be surprised how many back peddle the severity of their
> "supposed" allergy to minor or just dislike for some aspect of the item
> served.
>
> I find allergies are one of the most misused gastronomique claims people
> use to get what they want. The people who misuse allergies to feed their
> own petulant picky tastes create a real danger to those who have genuine
> and dangerous allergies. Remember! You can't be helpful or cautious with
> genuine allergies. It's lucky that helpful and cautious double as severe
> and tight with the people trying to manipulate your menu with their
> supposedly "severe" allergies.

He can walk into a McDonalds and tell if they're using peanut oil in the
fryer. There's one here he can't eat at because they use peanut oil.

I know exactly how severe his allergies are, he's my oldest kid.

The fry pot is brand new and has never had any oil of any kind in it and
will never have either peanut or corn oil in it.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> "D. Winsor" wrote:
>>
>> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>> "That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also
>> out.
>> Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things."
>>
>> Some people have allergies so severe they can have a reaction to food
>> prepared on a surface which has come into contact with their trigger
>> food.
>> How well seasoned is your fry pot in peanut oil? Whenever I'm in doubt
>> about the severity of an allergy, I recommend the fruit cup to such
>> people.
>> You'd be surprised how many back peddle the severity of their "supposed"
>> allergy to minor or just dislike for some aspect of the item served.
>>
>> I find allergies are one of the most misused gastronomique claims people
>> use
>> to get what they want. The people who misuse allergies to feed their own
>> petulant picky tastes create a real danger to those who have genuine and
>> dangerous allergies. Remember! You can't be helpful or cautious with
>> genuine allergies. It's lucky that helpful and cautious double as severe
>> and tight with the people trying to manipulate your menu with their
>> supposedly "severe" allergies.
>> >
>> > Ms P
>> >

> I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
> multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
> have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
> landing area for the medivac heli.
>
> I'm only half joking on this too, recall the recent death in Canada from
> peanut allergy. At some point someone will be sued because they kissed
> someone they knew to have a peanut allergy after having had a Snickers
> bar earlier in the day.
>
> Pete C.

It's tough when it's your own kid not to "host" him.

He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them because
he's picky and didn't like them.

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done with
canola that's what we'll do.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

ms_peacock wrote:

> We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be
> done with canola that's what we'll do.

Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer shortening"
at costco for a pittance.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Pete C. wrote:

> I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
> multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
> have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
> landing area for the medivac heli.

I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
accomodate their request ( I really don't). I tell them -- in a very polite
fashion -- that, due to their risk level, it would be best to not eat there.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:44:24 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Pete C. wrote:
>
>> I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
>> multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
>> have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
>> landing area for the medivac heli.

>I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
>list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
>food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
>accomodate their request ( I really don't).

Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
issue.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> "D. Winsor" wrote:
>>
>> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message

<snip a bunch here>

It's tough when it's your own kid not to "host" him.

He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them because
he's picky and didn't like them.

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done with

canola that's what we'll do.

Ms P

You can get by easily with canola oil Ms P. I do it all the time. I fry
many of the common items including chicken and french fries in
my benchtop Krupps deep fat fryer filled with canola oil. After each
fry, I drain the oil into a tightly capped jug for use again later. Remember
that oil exposed to the air will rapidly deteriorate into an unuseable
product. Also, while canola oil is originally a poly-unsaturated oil,

prolonged exposure to heat turns it toward a saturated oil . While
it never actually solidifies, it nevertheless takes on the bad
characteristics
of saturated fat.
--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
> folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
> issue.

This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone who
is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:56:12 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
>> folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
>> issue.

>This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone who
>is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

Doesn't sound cold; it's a good point.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ms_peacock" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>
> He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
> eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them
> because he's picky and didn't like them.
>
> We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done
> with canola that's what we'll do.

Jeez, he's gonna have a tough row ta hoe. I hope he doesn't discover any
other allergies along the way, like cranberry sauce! How is he with butter
or clarified butter? Any cheeses OK? Hope y'all enjoy yer fried turkey.

Happy New Year!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Glenn

DON'T use anything that has been used in peanut oil. There can be
enough residue to cause problems.

Kent wrote:
> Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
> breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
> option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.
>
> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>
>>What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
>>We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people
>>coming is allergic to peanuts.
>>
>>Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

> wrote in message
> "ms_peacock" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>
>> He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
>> eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them
>> because he's picky and didn't like them.
>>
>> We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done
>> with canola that's what we'll do.
>>

> Jeez, he's gonna have a tough row ta hoe. I hope he doesn't discover any
> other allergies along the way, like cranberry sauce! How is he with butter
> or clarified butter? Any cheeses OK? Hope y'all enjoy yer fried turkey.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and

Yeah, he keeps developing new allergies. The latest one was milk. He was
allergic to it when he was a baby and then got over it and drank milk for
years and years but it's back to making him sick. So far cheese and butter
are okay. That doesn't mean it'll stay that way though.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:56:12 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>>
>>> Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
>>> folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
>>> issue.

>>This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone
>>who
>>is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

> Doesn't sound cold; it's a good point.
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
> unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

Most people that have severe allergies already pretty much know what kind of
places they're going to be able to eat in anyway.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:29:00 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
>>breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
>>option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.

> Generally I can find canola oil for lower prices than corn oil. But
> since ms. peacock's friend is also allergic to corn, that's moot.
>
> Canola's definitely a good all-round oil.
>
> --
> -denny-
> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
> unannounced?"
>
> "It's come as you are, baby."
>
> -over the hedge

Thanks. We decided to just go with the canola oil. You can get it in
gallon jugs for a reasonable price. It's not as cheap as the peanut oil but
it's still not all that expensive.

Ms P

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 27-Dec-2005, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> ms_peacock wrote:
>
> > We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be
> > done with canola that's what we'll do.

> Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer
> shortening"
> at costco for a pittance.
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

The attraction of peanut oil is it's higher smoke point, but canola or olive
oil
both contain far less saturated fat with canola holding a clear advantage.
Also canola is is probably the most 'tasteless' oil of them all. For some
that
might be an advantage,but others prefer particular oils for their taste.
Mario
Batali uses a particlular brand of olive oiln for that reason. Of course he
doesn't have to count his pennies. I pay about $US7.00/gal for canola and
US$23 for the olive oil I use. The better olive oils cost considerable more.
While peanut oil seems to be the clear favorite for turkey fryers, there's
no
law that says it must be used.

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:38:08 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>ms_peacock wrote:
>
>> We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be
>> done with canola that's what we'll do.

>Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer shortening"
>at costco for a pittance.

I'm almost too frightened to ask, Dave, but, how would you know that?
Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:13:06 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 27-Dec-2005, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> ms_peacock wrote:
>>
>> > We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be
>> > done with canola that's what we'll do.

>> Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer
>> shortening"
>> at costco for a pittance.
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

>The attraction of peanut oil is it's higher smoke point, but canola or olive
>oil both contain far less saturated fat with canola holding a clear advantage.
>Also canola is is probably the most 'tasteless' oil of them all. For some
>that might be an advantage,but others prefer particular oils for their taste.
>Mario Batali uses a particlular brand of olive oiln for that reason. Of course he
>doesn't have to count his pennies. I pay about $US7.00/gal for canola and
>US$23 for the olive oil I use. The better olive oils cost considerable more.
>While peanut oil seems to be the clear favorite for turkey fryers, there's
>no law that says it must be used.

I used to keep Canola & Olive 'in stock' in two tins, Howard.
Every once in a while I cleaned both tins - the Olive tin would clean
up with a hot water rinse; the rape needed dynamite to get it off an
SS tin. I figured if it can adhere that way to SS, what the Hell was
it doing to me!!!! I've never used it since & I don't care what the
growers claim.

My Colavita EVOO/fcp price has risen again - it's now almost $27 for a
3 litre tin. [It was about $12 when I first began buying it]. Boo!

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

wrote:

>Pete C. wrote:
>
>> I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
>> multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
>> have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
>> landing area for the medivac heli.

>I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
>list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
>food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
>accomodate their request ( I really don't). I tell them -- in a very polite
>fashion -- that, due to their risk level, it would be best to not eat there.

Why don't you just make up a list of stuff that you use, and hand
those folks a copy of it, Dave? You'd not be giving away any trade
secrets . . . You know - like Penzeys list all the stuff in their rubs
etc, but don't ask them about their proportions.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:00:17 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:56:12 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
>> wrote:

>>>This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone
>>>who
>>>is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

>> Doesn't sound cold; it's a good point.
>>
>> --
>> -denny-
>> "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
>> unannounced?"
>>
>> "It's come as you are, baby."
>>
>> -over the hedge

>Most people that have severe allergies already pretty much know what kind of
>places they're going to be able to eat in anyway.
>
>Ms P

I agree - But it's when some idiot 'chef' decides to thicken the chili
with peanut butter that inevitably nails some poor schlubb. It nearly
did in my SiL a few years ago. If she as much as gets downwind of a
peanut, she's in trouble.

With Dave's food it's quite simple - there's meat and there are
spices. List the spices & it's done. I bet there's no peanut butter
on his property unless he brings his lunch to work, eh.

Folks with serious allergies automatically avoid sauces & gravies.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Karl Kingston

In article >,
Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:44:24 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
>wrote:
>
>>Pete C. wrote:
>>
>>> I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
>>> multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
>>> have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
>>> landing area for the medivac heli.

>>I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
>>list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
>>food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
>>accomodate their request ( I really don't). I tell them -- in a very polite
>>fashion -- that, due to their risk level, it would be best to not eat there.

>Why don't you just make up a list of stuff that you use, and hand
>those folks a copy of it, Dave? You'd not be giving away any trade
>secrets . . . You know - like Penzeys list all the stuff in their rubs
>etc, but don't ask them about their proportions.
>
>Harry

Like Dave said, there's too much of a liability here.

I can see why Dave doesn't want them eating there--someone knows there's
peanut oil/peanut products being used, they end up eating there, and then have
an reaction. People are too eager to sue in this country nowadays.

I deepfried a turkey on Thanksgiving and before I even started, I was told my
brother-in-law had a peanut allergy (Don't know how bad it is) so I used canola
oil. I told him how I cooked the turkey and he really appreciated the info.
But since this is for family, it's not too bad.

But when you do it for a lot of people, gotta be careful!

-Karl

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:00:17 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>Doesn't sound cold; it's a good point.
>>>
>>>--
>>>-denny-
>>>"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth
>>>unannounced?"
>>>
>>>"It's come as you are, baby."
>>>
>>>-over the hedge

>>Most people that have severe allergies already pretty much know what kind of
>>places they're going to be able to eat in anyway.
>>
>>Ms P
>>

> I agree - But it's when some idiot 'chef' decides to thicken the chili
> with peanut butter that inevitably nails some poor schlubb. It nearly
> did in my SiL a few years ago. If she as much as gets downwind of a
> peanut, she's in trouble.
>
> With Dave's food it's quite simple - there's meat and there are
> spices. List the spices & it's done. I bet there's no peanut butter
> on his property unless he brings his lunch to work, eh.
>
> Folks with serious allergies automatically avoid sauces & gravies.
>
> Harry

It seems like 10 years ago you never heard of a peanut allergy and there
were no "produced in a facility that also processes peanuts" labels on
food. Is this a fairly new allergy or did people always suffer from it
until it was isolated?

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Beth Cole

Dan Krueger wrote:
> It seems like 10 years ago you never heard of a peanut allergy and there
> were no "produced in a facility that also processes peanuts" labels on
> food. Is this a fairly new allergy or did people always suffer from it
> until it was isolated?

I've suffered with varying levels of allergy to peanuts & soybeans since
I was an infant 33 years ago. Trying to get the school cafeteria to
understand that I had to have a real beef hamburger and not one that was
the usual beef & soy meal mixture was a constant problem.

Today, I can do a large bowl of hot & sour soup (with its tofu), or a
peanut butter & jelly sandwich, but not both in under 72 hours without
starting to look like a pink balloon. A single black bean is enough to
make my lips swell; an entire serving might send me into a fullon
anaphyactic shock if I went insane and ate them. Veggie burgers, which
I do like, generally contain enough soy to cause issues as well.

I don't think that peanut & soy allergies were as widespread when I was
growing up, but obviously they existed. The allergist I've seen blames
the use of soy-based formula fed to infants when I was a child who are
now having children of their own who are super-sensitized to certain
proteins that are common to both soybeans & peanuts.

Beth

--
Evolution takes no prisoners. -- Mandy, "The Grim Adventures of Billy &
Mandy"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:23:57 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
wrote:

>I used to keep Canola & Olive 'in stock' in two tins, Howard.
>Every once in a while I cleaned both tins - the Olive tin would clean
>up with a hot water rinse; the rape needed dynamite to get it off an
>SS tin. I figured if it can adhere that way to SS, what the Hell was
>it doing to me!!!!

Are your innards made of stainless steel? If so, you merely need to
keep this small green mineral in your canola oil.
<denny hands Harry a piece of Kryptonite and walks away, whistling>

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:57:10 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>Yeah, he keeps developing new allergies. The latest one was milk. He was
>allergic to it when he was a baby and then got over it and drank milk for
>years and years but it's back to making him sick. So far cheese and butter
>are okay. That doesn't mean it'll stay that way though.

There are some clinical studies suggesting that a milk 'allergy' is
normal.

Also--there are some naturopaths who seem able to cure some allergies.
Might want to look into that.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> I'm almost too frightened to ask, Dave, but, how would you know that?

It's what I use in my deep fryer for the hush puppies and chix wings. It
runs about $15.00 for five gallons (about 40 #).
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Why don't you just make up a list of stuff that you use, and hand
> those folks a copy of it, Dave? You'd not be giving away any trade
> secrets . . . You know - like Penzeys list all the stuff in their rubs
> etc, but don't ask them about their proportions.

If only it were that simple. I can't guarantee that the ingredients like
veggies, potatoes, eggs, etc haven't had a case of nuts sitting next to them
in the truck, thus serving as a potential source of unknown cross
contamination. Not to mention the fact that I have PBJ eaters who bring
their PBJs to work for a snack. They do a great job with tongs and gloves
and handwashing, but evryone slips up now and then.

The "I'm allergic to gluten" folks are the worst. They want guarantees that
no bread products have even come near the food they're served. That's an
impossible situation. I have bread all around -- white bread, hamburger
buns, stadium rolls, hush puppies. I even had one women claim that she
would die if even a slight crumb got in her food!!!???

I have a great base of science knowledge, medical knowledge (health district
17 years, midwife 22 years), and there is a whole bunch of hyperbolic crap
surrounding food allergies. The problem is that there are also some serious
issues that some really do face. I just don't want to fool with more
stresses than I need to.
-
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:05:37 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:23:57 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
>wrote:
>
>>I used to keep Canola & Olive 'in stock' in two tins, Howard.
>>Every once in a while I cleaned both tins - the Olive tin would clean
>>up with a hot water rinse; the rape needed dynamite to get it off an
>>SS tin. I figured if it can adhere that way to SS, what the Hell was
>>it doing to me!!!!

>Are your innards made of stainless steel? If so, you merely need to
>keep this small green mineral in your canola oil.
><denny hands Harry a piece of Kryptonite and walks away, whistling>

Opps - my secret is out . . . .

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 28-Dec-2005, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:13:06 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:

> >> Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer
> >> shortening"
> >> at costco for a pittance.
> >> --
> >> Dave
> >> www.davebbq.com

> >The attraction of peanut oil is it's higher smoke point, but canola or
> >olive
> >oil both contain far less saturated fat with canola holding a clear
> >advantage.
> >Also canola is is probably the most 'tasteless' oil of them all. For some
> >that might be an advantage,but others prefer particular oils for their
> >taste.
> >Mario Batali uses a particlular brand of olive oiln for that reason. Of
> >course he
> >doesn't have to count his pennies. I pay about $US7.00/gal for canola and
> >US$23 for the olive oil I use. The better olive oils cost considerable
> >more.
> >While peanut oil seems to be the clear favorite for turkey fryers,
> >there's
> >no law that says it must be used.

> I used to keep Canola & Olive 'in stock' in two tins, Howard.
> Every once in a while I cleaned both tins - the Olive tin would clean
> up with a hot water rinse; the rape needed dynamite to get it off an
> SS tin. I figured if it can adhere that way to SS, what the Hell was
> it doing to me!!!! I've never used it since & I don't care what the
> growers claim.
>
> My Colavita EVOO/fcp price has risen again - it's now almost $27 for a
> 3 litre tin. [It was about $12 when I first began buying it]. Boo!
>
> Harry

I use canola only in the deep fryer. I only deep fry once or twice a month.
In between I keep the filtered oil in a plastic gallon jug. There is no
cleaning problem involved. The fryer itself requires only a soapy rinse.
All of my pan/skillet frying is done with EVOO. (The canola gets replaced
about every third use.)

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:46:37 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> Why don't you just make up a list of stuff that you use, and hand
>> those folks a copy of it, Dave? You'd not be giving away any trade
>> secrets . . . You know - like Penzeys list all the stuff in their rubs
>> etc, but don't ask them about their proportions.

>If only it were that simple. I can't guarantee that the ingredients like
>veggies, potatoes, eggs, etc haven't had a case of nuts sitting next to them
>in the truck, thus serving as a potential source of unknown cross
>contamination. Not to mention the fact that I have PBJ eaters who bring
>their PBJs to work for a snack. They do a great job with tongs and gloves
>and handwashing, but evryone slips up now and then.
>
>The "I'm allergic to gluten" folks are the worst. They want guarantees that
>no bread products have even come near the food they're served. That's an
>impossible situation. I have bread all around -- white bread, hamburger
>buns, stadium rolls, hush puppies. I even had one women claim that she
>would die if even a slight crumb got in her food!!!???

That's a little rich isn't it?

>I have a great base of science knowledge, medical knowledge (health district
>17 years, midwife 22 years), and there is a whole bunch of hyperbolic crap
>surrounding food allergies. The problem is that there are also some serious
>issues that some really do face. I just don't want to fool with more
>stresses than I need to.
>-
>Dave
>www.davebbq.com

A reasonable explanation & guess I now agree with you, Dave. I used
to always tell folks that I was allergic to liver - I'm not; I just
cant' stand the stuff. Today I advise that Cardiac Cowboys are
discouraged from eating organ meats.

My nephew's and his aunt's allergies are pretty real though. If she
goes out to eat [at friends' or to restaurants, she brings her own
meal. He just knows what to stay away from & does. Just got caught
the once when he had chili at a Wendy's & they had used PB in it as
thickener. [Not a standard practice at Wendy's just this one person's
idea].

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

Here's info on the smoke point of most common oils.

Up to 220F
Unrefined canola oil (smoke point is below 225 F)
Unrefined flaxseed oil (smoke point is below 225 F)
Unrefined safflower oil (smoke point 225 F)
Unrefined sunflower oil (smoke point is below 225 F)

Up to 315F
Unrefined corn oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined olive oil (smoke point is below 320)
Unrefined peanut oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Semirefined safflower oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined soy oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined high-Oleic sunflower oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined walnut oil (smoke point is below 320 F)

Up to 345F
Semirefined canola oil (smoke point is below 350 F)
Unrefined sesame oil (smoke point is below 350 F)
Semirefined soy oil (smoke point is below 350 F)

Up to 395F
Refined canola oil (smoke point is below 400 F)
Semirefined walnut oil (smoke point is below 400 F)

Up to 445
Refined corn oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined peanut oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined safflower oil (smoke point is below blow 450 F)
Semirefined sesame oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined soy oil (smoke point is below blow 450 F)
Semirefined sunflower oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined high-oleic sunflower oil (smoke point is below 450 F)

Up to 515F
Refined avocado oil (smoke point is below 520 F)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>

>>Why don't you just make up a list of stuff that you use, and hand
>>those folks a copy of it, Dave? You'd not be giving away any trade
>>secrets . . . You know - like Penzeys list all the stuff in their rubs
>>etc, but don't ask them about their proportions.

> If only it were that simple. I can't guarantee that the ingredients like
> veggies, potatoes, eggs, etc haven't had a case of nuts sitting next to them
> in the truck, thus serving as a potential source of unknown cross
> contamination. Not to mention the fact that I have PBJ eaters who bring
> their PBJs to work for a snack. They do a great job with tongs and gloves
> and handwashing, but evryone slips up now and then.
>
> The "I'm allergic to gluten" folks are the worst. They want guarantees that
> no bread products have even come near the food they're served. That's an
> impossible situation. I have bread all around -- white bread, hamburger
> buns, stadium rolls, hush puppies. I even had one women claim that she
> would die if even a slight crumb got in her food!!!???
>
> I have a great base of science knowledge, medical knowledge (health district
> 17 years, midwife 22 years), and there is a whole bunch of hyperbolic crap
> surrounding food allergies. The problem is that there are also some serious
> issues that some really do face. I just don't want to fool with more
> stresses than I need to.
> -
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Who would bring PB&J sandwiches to work at a BBQ joint? I would fire
those people immediately!

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe > wrote:
> Here's info on the smoke point of most common oils.

Where is this info from, Abe? I regularly use EVOO at 365 to 370 F.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Dan Krueger wrote:

> Who would bring PB&J sandwiches to work at a BBQ joint? I would fire
> those people immediately!

LOL!! Just for snacks. Each employee gets a free meal either at the end of
the shift (for the part-timers) or mid-shift. Believe me, they enjoy the
perk :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe

>Where is this info from, Abe? I regularly use EVOO at 365 to 370 F.
This is from: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/143

There is a more complete list at:
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Colle...mokePoints.htm

Ther are some small disagreements between the lists.

Unrefined EVOO is supposedly good to 320, while the refined EVOO is
good to about 400.

oil-less turkey fryer Moe Jones Barbecue 9 07-09-2007 02:41 PM
Peanut Oil in Canada for Turkey Deep fryer [email protected] General Cooking 9 09-08-2005 07:41 PM
Turkey Fryer Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 26 09-11-2004 08:40 PM
turkey fryer StocksRus® Barbecue 17 27-08-2004 06:54 AM
Turkey Fryer Aria Barbecue 9 19-11-2003 12:54 AM