Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default charbroil cast iron

I bought a charbroil gas grill about 8 months ago.
It was fairly economical for a grill of it's size (around
$200.oo), had stainless cover, the rest powder coated.
But it was a large sq.in. grill area which is what I needed.
However it was the first cast iron grate grill I had ever
tried and I was wondering if it might stick. Well the first
few times I used it I sprayed pam cooking oil on the grates
and heated it to cure them. I never really had much of a
sticking problem even then if I got the grate really hot
before applying meat and then left it alone till seared.
The grill works great! And I can preheat it as hot as
I desire for a really good sear when I first put the meat
on. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
search for cast iron grates for any future grill.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Cliff

"G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message ...
>I bought a charbroil gas grill about 8 months ago.
> It was fairly economical for a grill of it's size (around
> $200.oo), had stainless cover, the rest powder coated.
> But it was a large sq.in. grill area which is what I needed.
> However it was the first cast iron grate grill I had ever
> tried and I was wondering if it might stick. Well the first
> few times I used it I sprayed pam cooking oil on the grates
> and heated it to cure them. I never really had much of a
> sticking problem even then if I got the grate really hot
> before applying meat and then left it alone till seared.
> The grill works great! And I can preheat it as hot as
> I desire for a really good sear when I first put the meat
> on. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
> the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
> but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
> search for cast iron grates for any future grill.

Ditto! That was one of the primary reasons I bought my Charbroiler.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

G wrote:
> I bought a charbroil gas grill about 8 months ago.
> It was fairly economical for a grill of it's size (around
> $200.oo), had stainless cover, the rest powder coated.
> But it was a large sq.in. grill area which is what I needed.
> However it was the first cast iron grate grill I had ever
> tried and I was wondering if it might stick. Well the first
> few times I used it I sprayed pam cooking oil on the grates
> and heated it to cure them. I never really had much of a
> sticking problem even then if I got the grate really hot
> before applying meat and then left it alone till seared.
> The grill works great! And I can preheat it as hot as
> I desire for a really good sear when I first put the meat
> on. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
> the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
> but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
> search for cast iron grates for any future grill.

Glad that you're having good experiences with yours, at least so far.
If you live in a humid area, such as the northeastern US, good luck
preventing the rusting of said grates. I threw mine out and got
porcelain-enameled grates that work just as well.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You know at first I was also concerned about that.
But we use ours at least every two weeks and the
amount of grease from the meat and olive oil marinate
keeps the grate coated with cooked on oil and grease.
I scrub it before using, then the grill has a "preheat"
setting that heats up to 600 degrees. This bakes the
last residue of grease and oil onto the grate like a cured
cast iron pan. Then as I put the meat on it sears
immediately and gives the meat those marks, then I
immediately turn the dial down to lower heat and close
the cover. It has a barbecue setting of 250 degrees that
works great if you're not in a hurry. It takes about an hour
or longer for most things and I never have flare ups on this
setting. Cheers

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

"G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message ...
>. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
> the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
> but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
> search for cast iron grates for any future grill.

ditto those feelings on cast iron--new Wber gas grill has them and so does
my 30+yr old Charbroil charcoal--worst that happens is an occasional rust
spot that brushes off easily! CI rocks---imo of course

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Burnt Food Dude

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>G wrote:
>> I bought a charbroil gas grill about 8 months ago.
>> It was fairly economical for a grill of it's size (around
>> $200.oo), had stainless cover, the rest powder coated.
>> But it was a large sq.in. grill area which is what I needed.
>> However it was the first cast iron grate grill I had ever
>> tried and I was wondering if it might stick. Well the first
>> few times I used it I sprayed pam cooking oil on the grates
>> and heated it to cure them. I never really had much of a
>> sticking problem even then if I got the grate really hot
>> before applying meat and then left it alone till seared.
>> The grill works great! And I can preheat it as hot as
>> I desire for a really good sear when I first put the meat
>> on. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
>> the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
>> but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
>> search for cast iron grates for any future grill.
>>

> Glad that you're having good experiences with yours, at least so far.
> If you live in a humid area, such as the northeastern US, good luck
> preventing the rusting of said grates. I threw mine out and got
> porcelain-enameled grates that work just as well.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then
> a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than just one night"

Cast iron has to be seasoned before use. After use do not use soap and water
to clean. Just use water and a brush (non metal) or run your cooker heat up
and burn it clean. After you burn it clean apply more cooking oil to grate
while still warm.

You may have to re-apply oil the first few time you use cast iron but after
a while it will "deep" season then very little maintainence is necessary.
Humidity or not it should keep. But then again you have to use it every once
in a while.

BFD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete C.

G wrote:

> You know at first I was also concerned about that.
> But we use ours at least every two weeks and the
> amount of grease from the meat and olive oil marinate
> keeps the grate coated with cooked on oil and grease.
> I scrub it before using, then the grill has a "preheat"
> setting that heats up to 600 degrees. This bakes the
> last residue of grease and oil onto the grate like a cured
> cast iron pan. Then as I put the meat on it sears
> immediately and gives the meat those marks, then I
> immediately turn the dial down to lower heat and close
> the cover. It has a barbecue setting of 250 degrees that
> works great if you're not in a hurry. It takes about an hour
> or longer for most things and I never have flare ups on this
> setting. Cheers

You could also simply store the cast iron grates indoors when not in
use.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

G wrote:
> You know at first I was also concerned about that.
> But we use ours at least every two weeks and the
> amount of grease from the meat and olive oil marinate
> keeps the grate coated with cooked on oil and grease.
> I scrub it before using, then the grill has a "preheat"
> setting that heats up to 600 degrees. This bakes the
> last residue of grease and oil onto the grate like a cured
> cast iron pan. Then as I put the meat on it sears
> immediately and gives the meat those marks, then I
> immediately turn the dial down to lower heat and close
> the cover. It has a barbecue setting of 250 degrees that
> works great if you're not in a hurry. It takes about an hour
> or longer for most things and I never have flare ups on this
> setting. Cheers

Concerned about *what*?!? You included no quoted text so
that anyone can tell what what you're refering to...

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
<snip>

> Cast iron has to be seasoned before use. After use do not use soap and water
> to clean. Just use water and a brush (non metal) or run your cooker heat up
> and burn it clean. After you burn it clean apply more cooking oil to grate
> while still warm.
>
> You may have to re-apply oil the first few time you use cast iron but after
> a while it will "deep" season then very little maintainence is necessary.
> Humidity or not it should keep. But then again you have to use it every once
> in a while.
>
> BFD

I know all about CI. I use Griswolds in my kitchen all the
time, but I would never leave them outside.

CI + Humidity = rust

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

G wrote:
> You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

Who? Why should people have to open other posts to make sense of your
posts? Would it kill you to provide some context?

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote:
> You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

I think it would be far easier to quote enough of the thread to put your
post in contaxt, rather than expect others to go on a research binge.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

G wrote:

> You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

Aside from the fact that it is pure nonsense to do as you said, not to
mention a breach of netiquette protocol, most folks set their newsreaders --
like me -- to delete posts which have been read. Besides, just who are *you*
to insist that I take additional time and effort to figger out just what the
heck you're talking about?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:09:48 -0500, "G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote:

>You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

Apparently, you don't understand how Usenet works.

Please read "Playing Nice on Usenet," particularly the section titled
"Quote it Right" and the article linked from that section, "The
advantages of Usenet's quoting conventions." Here you go:

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

And, please, please, please don't come back here and tell us why your
approach to Usenet is superior and much more desirable. We've heard it
all before.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

G wrote:
> You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

If you're talking to me, (again, no quotes) learn some
newsgroup etiquette. You could also benifit by researching
how news-servers function.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:41:53 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>G wrote:
>> You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.
>>

>If you're talking to me, (again, no quotes) learn some
>newsgroup etiquette. You could also benifit by researching
>how news-servers function.

Of course, G's using Outlook Express--that's a handicap from the
get-go.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:41:53 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>>G wrote:
>>
>>>You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.
>>>

>>If you're talking to me, (again, no quotes) learn some
>>newsgroup etiquette. You could also benifit by researching
>>how news-servers function.

> Of course, G's using Outlook Express--that's a handicap from the
> get-go.

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:41:53 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>>G wrote:
>>
>>>You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.
>>>

>>If you're talking to me, (again, no quotes) learn some
>>newsgroup etiquette. You could also benifit by researching
>>how news-servers function.

> Of course, G's using Outlook Express--that's a handicap from the
> get-go.

I saw that as well. Poor software choices however are no
excuse for not following accepted practices in whatever
medium you choose to attempt to participate in.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:20:29 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>> Of course, G's using Outlook Express--that's a handicap from the
>> get-go.
>>

>It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

It's a worse workman who uses the wrong tool.

"when all you have is a hammer, ...."

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:09:48 -0500, "G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote:

>You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.

WTF are you replying to?

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:03:29 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:09:48 -0500, "G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote:
>
>>You must be kidding. Try reading the thread I replied to for clues.
>>

>WTF are you replying to?

A post the idiot won't bother to quote. But he, she, or it is
obviously the center of the universe, right?

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
LewZephyr

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:09:01 -0600, I needed a babel fish to
understand "2fatbbq" > :

>"G" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message ...
>>. The cast iron grates won't warp from high heat like
>> the wire coated ones I've used before. I have nothing
>> but good to say about cast iron grates. I will always
>> search for cast iron grates for any future grill.
>>

>ditto those feelings on cast iron--new Wber gas grill has them and so does
>my 30+yr old Charbroil charcoal--worst that happens is an occasional rust
>spot that brushes off easily! CI rocks---imo of course
>

>Buzz

I have a Weber One Touch Silver for my grilling... its a Charcoal
typical kettle. I went to the Weber site looking for possible
replacements for the grill, and the only replacement parts they list
are for like the handle, wheels, and ash catch.
Am I just looking in the wrong spot? Id like to go cast iron for the
grill instead of the thinner wire that is default on the system.

Thanks
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke