Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kurtk

Default smoked oysters

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with smoking oysters?

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

kurtk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have any experience with smoking oysters?
>
> Kurt

It's one of my favorites. It comes out nothing like the
stuff in cans (I'm pretty conviced most of what is sold
as "smoked" oysters is bathed in liquid smoke).

You can cook them on the half shell or on those fine meshed
seafood screens. Smoke them at 180-200 F just until the
start to set up a bit, about 30 minutes. The smoke should
be at least moderate, not too light. I use hickory for
oysters.

I serve them with the classic mignonette sauce. You can
also sauce them before smoking, but I don't bother.

I distinguish this method slightly from grilled oysters,
which cook faster and have much less smoke flavor (almost
none, by my tastes).

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kurtk

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> "kurtk" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anyone have any experience with smoking oysters?
>>
>> Kurt
>>

> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rs%22&qt_ g=1
>

> Ahm on a roll!

Nice try Einstein! I know that my search criteria prior to posting this
message was a lot more comprehensive than what you had to offer.

"smoked oysters", "smoked oyster recipes"

They don't draw much information!

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

kurtk wrote:

> Hi Reg,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> My oysters are already shucked and frozen. Have you had any experience
> smoking them in that state?

Sure. In that case I recommend using one of those seafood
grid accessories, the finer the mesh the better. You want
enough smoke to come through from the bottom, and you don't
want the metal surface to cook the oysters, otherwise
they can be a bit tough were they came in contact with
the metal. Oil the grid well before using.

Don't thaw them too fast, you don't want to damage
the texture. I'd do it in the fridge overnight.

The lower you keep the pit temp, the more smoke exposure
you'll get. I like a lot of smoke, so I try and keep
it no higher than 180 F. I've gone as long as 45 minutes
at that temp and they came out great, quite tender and
nice smoke flavor.

Another tip is if you have any oyster liquor left over,
mix that into your sauce.

Smoked oysters are great by themselves and also very
versatile in other dishes. Here's one recipe I like:

Smoked Oyster Roll

Makes 1 medium roll.

1 clove garlic
2 green onion
1 - 250 g pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
25 ml (1-1/2 tbsp.) mayonnaise
5 ml (1 tsp.) Worcestershire sauce
Dash Tabasco (optional)
10 medium size oysters, smoked or cooked
45 ml (3 tbsp.) finely chopped parsley

Combine chopped garlic and onion in a bowl
Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce and
Tabasco

Spread mixture onto a piece of aluminum foil forming a square
of about 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 in.)
Spread smoked oysters over the cream cheese mixture
Cover with plastic wrap
Refrigerate for approximately 2 to 3 hours, or until firm.

Using the foil as a guide, roll up like a jelly roll.
Push the mixture from the foil with a long metal spatula or
knife.
Shape into a log
Sprinkle parsley over the log
Serve with crackers or bread rounds

Note: If covered and refrigerated, this recipe will keep up for
3 days.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kurtk

"Reg" > wrote in message
> kurtk wrote:
>
>> Hi Reg,
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> My oysters are already shucked and frozen. Have you had any experience
>> smoking them in that state?

> Sure. In that case I recommend using one of those seafood
> grid accessories, the finer the mesh the better. You want
> enough smoke to come through from the bottom, and you don't
> want the metal surface to cook the oysters, otherwise
> they can be a bit tough were they came in contact with
> the metal. Oil the grid well before using.
>
> Don't thaw them too fast, you don't want to damage
> the texture. I'd do it in the fridge overnight.
>
> The lower you keep the pit temp, the more smoke exposure
> you'll get. I like a lot of smoke, so I try and keep
> it no higher than 180 F. I've gone as long as 45 minutes
> at that temp and they came out great, quite tender and
> nice smoke flavor.
>
> Another tip is if you have any oyster liquor left over,
> mix that into your sauce.
>
> Smoked oysters are great by themselves and also very
> versatile in other dishes. Here's one recipe I like:
>
> Smoked Oyster Roll
>
> Makes 1 medium roll.
>
> 1 clove garlic
> 2 green onion
> 1 - 250 g pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
> 25 ml (1-1/2 tbsp.) mayonnaise
> 5 ml (1 tsp.) Worcestershire sauce
> Dash Tabasco (optional)
> 10 medium size oysters, smoked or cooked
> 45 ml (3 tbsp.) finely chopped parsley
>
> Combine chopped garlic and onion in a bowl
> Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce and
> Tabasco
>
> Spread mixture onto a piece of aluminum foil forming a square
> of about 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 in.)
> Spread smoked oysters over the cream cheese mixture
> Cover with plastic wrap
> Refrigerate for approximately 2 to 3 hours, or until firm.
>
> Using the foil as a guide, roll up like a jelly roll.
> Push the mixture from the foil with a long metal spatula or
> knife.
> Shape into a log
> Sprinkle parsley over the log
> Serve with crackers or bread rounds
>
> Note: If covered and refrigerated, this recipe will keep up for
> 3 days.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Nice Reg!!!! Your info really gives me something to go by!! Muchas Gracias!

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jack Schidt®

"Reg" > wrote in message
> kurtk wrote:
>
>> Hi Reg,
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> My oysters are already shucked and frozen. Have you had any experience
>> smoking them in that state?

> Sure. In that case I recommend using one of those seafood
> grid accessories, the finer the mesh the better. You want
> enough smoke to come through from the bottom, and you don't
> want the metal surface to cook the oysters, otherwise
> they can be a bit tough were they came in contact with
> the metal. Oil the grid well before using.

<snippage>

This thing is great from Brinkmann: http://tinyurl.com/cpkue

(long url
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...uipment&id=358)

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

kurtk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have any experience with smoking oysters?
>
> Kurt

They usually get lung cancer and die early in life.

--
Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kurtk

"Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> kurtk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anyone have any experience with smoking oysters?
>>
>> Kurt

> They usually get lung cancer and die early in life.
>
> --
> Regards, Mike (Piedmont)
>
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn

That's what I thought...Oh well, gotta go some way!

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

kurtk wrote:

> Nice Reg!!!! Your info really gives me something to go by!! Muchas Gracias!

You're welcome. I'm about to do a load of some big fat sea
scallops myself (the method is pretty much the same for
oysters, scallops and mussels).

They'll end up as a stuffed smoked scallop houres de ouevres
on Tday. Have a good one.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>
>>Sure. In that case I recommend using one of those seafood
>>grid accessories, the finer the mesh the better. You want
>>enough smoke to come through from the bottom, and you don't
>>want the metal surface to cook the oysters, otherwise
>>they can be a bit tough were they came in contact with
>>the metal. Oil the grid well before using.
>>

> <snippage>
>
> This thing is great from Brinkmann: http://tinyurl.com/cpkue
>
> (long url
> <http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...uipment&id=358)>
>
> Jack

That's the ticket. The mesh "screen" types are much
better than the ones that are just a piece of metal with
holes drilled in it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jack Schidt®

"Reg" > wrote in message
m...

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
>> "Reg" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Sure. In that case I recommend using one of those seafood
>>>grid accessories, the finer the mesh the better. You want
>>>enough smoke to come through from the bottom, and you don't
>>>want the metal surface to cook the oysters, otherwise
>>>they can be a bit tough were they came in contact with
>>>the metal. Oil the grid well before using.
>>>

>> <snippage>
>>
>> This thing is great from Brinkmann: http://tinyurl.com/cpkue
>>
>> (long url
>> <http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...uipment&id=358)>
>>
>> Jack

> That's the ticket. The mesh "screen" types are much
> better than the ones that are just a piece of metal with
> holes drilled in it.

Very true as you need all the smoke you can get per minute of cook time when
it's oysters or clams smoking. It's the diameter of an ECB so it think it
would work in a WSM too. I don't know the comparative sizes offhand.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB

Jack Schidt® wrote:
:: "Reg" > wrote in message
:: m...
:::
::: Jack Schidt® wrote:
:::
:::: This thing is great from Brinkmann: http://tinyurl.com/cpkue
::::
:::: (long url
::::
<http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...uipment&id=358)>
::::
:::: Jack
:::
::: That's the ticket. The mesh "screen" types are much
::: better than the ones that are just a piece of metal with
::: holes drilled in it.
:::
::
:: Very true as you need all the smoke you can get per minute of cook
time when
:: it's oysters or clams smoking. It's the diameter of an ECB so it
think it
:: would work in a WSM too. I don't know the comparative sizes
offhand.
::
:: Jack

WallyWorld has similar, either round or rectangular for about $.99
each during grill season (whatever that is). Maybe less now, in a
clearance bin.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List