Heating smoked turkey

Old 18-11-2005, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Usenet poster

Default Heating smoked turkey

Received my shipment of a smoked whole turkey yesterday. Curious what is
the preferred method for warming it up on Thanksgiving Day and not drying
it out in the process?

Old 19-11-2005, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Usenet poster

Jim wrote:

Received my shipment of a smoked whole turkey yesterday. Curious what is
the preferred method for warming it up on Thanksgiving Day and not drying
it out in the process?

They didn't give you instructions for reheating? I don't know, but just
guessing, put it in a hot oven, maybe a covered pan and heat it up till
it's as warm as you want.

BBQ
Old 19-11-2005, 12:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Usenet poster

Jim wrote:
Received my shipment of a smoked whole turkey yesterday. Curious what is
the preferred method for warming it up on Thanksgiving Day and not drying
it out in the process?

Depending on how it was smoked:

Fully cooked:

Put in a large enough pan on a rack, add water enough to cover pan, but
not enough to cover the top of the rack, cover with aluminum foil and
put into 325F oven until hot.

Cold smoked:

(as above) remove when thigh/body joint reaches 161F. Rest and carve.

At least both of those have worked for me.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Old 22-11-2005, 03:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Usenet poster

It would have to be completely cooked to be shipped to your home. All you
need to do is heat it to the
temperature that you want to eat it. In our home that would be as low as
125F and at most 140F. Do this as slowly as possible with a very low oven
temp 225-250F, fully covered, to prevent it from drying out. Heat it in your
oven, not your grill.
All you're doing is to warm it to serving temp, no more. Any more heating
will dry it out, and accomplish absolutely nothing.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.
Kent

BTW, where did you buy it?? Give us a report on it. We would all appreciate
that.