None

Default You guys are good....

Yesterday the cooker got loaded up with a butt and
4 racks of spares. I used some pecan wood to warm
up the cooker and for smoke and then Picnic Lump
for the cooking process.

I have done briskets and ribs (babybacks) before,
but never a butt and never 'real' ribs. Thanks to
the advice that I have been reading on here for
the past (mumble) months everything came out
great. I still need to work on learning the
cooker for fire control and my timing needs some
work, but the meat is all quite tasty.

S&P and some garlic before meat hit the grill and
that was it.

The biggest downside was my not starting things
early enough in the day. The butt didn't finish
until midnight, thankfully I had some ribs to
munch on while I was waiting!

Also because of this group I am the proud owner of
a Food Saver so I have little doubt that all the
meat will be 'safe' until it gets a chance to get
eaten. I also want to take the chance to plug the
TILA customer service folks. They stepped up and
fixed a problem that I had with the first unit
that I bought and I am VERY HAPPY WITH TILA.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the
help and I'm looking forward to my first pulled
pork meal.

Kevin
Steve Calvin

None wrote:
> Yesterday the cooker got loaded up with a butt and 4 racks of spares. I
> used some pecan wood to warm up the cooker and for smoke and then Picnic
> Lump for the cooking process.
>
> I have done briskets and ribs (babybacks) before, but never a butt and
> never 'real' ribs. Thanks to the advice that I have been reading on
> here for the past (mumble) months everything came out great. I still

Sounds like you had a good first cook. GREAT! Only gets better form
there. ;-)

Glad you like the Tilia too. Only reason I don't like mine is 'cause the
dang thing won't break so I can get a new model. ;-)

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.
Duwop

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> None wrote:
> > I have done briskets and ribs (babybacks) before, but never a butt and
> > never 'real' ribs. Thanks to the advice that I have been reading on
> > here for the past (mumble) months everything came out great. I still

> Sounds like you had a good first cook. GREAT! Only gets better form
> there. ;-)

Congratulations dood! Tending the fire will get easier over time, I'm a slow
learner, took me till the third year to really get comfortable. The first
year was was all observation, the second trying to act on them, the third
perfecting 'em.

But that's all about ease of use and saving labor, the meat doesn't taste
any better for it. Okay, I did learn there are max temps for ribs and if I
go over 250 for too long, parts get a little like jerky and porkbutt don't
care how hot ya get within reason.

Steve Calvin

Duwop wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>None wrote:
>>
>>>I have done briskets and ribs (babybacks) before, but never a butt and
>>>never 'real' ribs. Thanks to the advice that I have been reading on
>>>here for the past (mumble) months everything came out great. I still

If temp control is really an issue ya can always get a Guru.
http://thebbqguru.com/

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.

Fridge Flakes and the Good Guys hutchndi Sourdough 11 22-11-2009 05:52 PM
Hi guys!! Matt[_11_] Baking 5 18-11-2009 02:32 PM
When Bad Guys Were Once Good Dave Bugg Barbecue 7 06-11-2007 01:48 PM
Hey Guys, I Have Few Good Words To Share [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-03-2005 01:37 PM
WOW, These guys are GOOD! Steve Calvin General Cooking 20 31-01-2005 01:56 AM