Mike \Piedmont\

Default recipes 2

Tostada's

By: Mike Willsey

Sauce
2 LB. ground beef
30 oz. pinto beans, drained
30 oz. tomato sauce
12 oz. jalapeno, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Toppings
24 corn tortilla, fried
1/2 head lettuce, chopped
3 fresh tomato, chopped
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Cook hamburger & onion, drain, add remaining ingredients, except last 4. Simmer sauce 1 hour. Place tortilla shell, then lettuce, then sauce, then cheese.

Mop

By: The Caterer to the LBJ Ranch: Walter Jetton
From: Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book

Copyright, (1965 By Arthur Whitman
All rights reserved.
Published by Pocket Books, Inc.

Mop for all Barbecue Meats

Use this to rub over meats or to baste them while they are cooking. Put it on with a little dish mop of the kind that you see in the dime store. As you use it, the flavor will change and improve, for you are constantly transferring smoke and grease from the meat back to the mop concoction. If you have any left over, keep it in the refrigerator.

3 tbs. salt (note: Use kosher or canning salt)
3 tbs. dry mustard
2 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. ground bay leaf
2 tbs. chili powder
3 tbs. Lu'siana Hot Sauce (note: I assume this is Tabasco)
2 pints Worcestershire sauce
1 pint vinegar (note: white)
4 quarts bone stock (note: or use canned beef broth)
1 pint oil
3 tbs. MSG or other pep powder (note: Accent)

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup-buy good stout beef bones from the butcher and boil them. Add all the other ingredients and let stand overnight before using.

About 6 quarts

Jack Curry's Pastrami

Graeme...in London >
I'm going to try to replicate Jack Curry's pastrami recipe that he posted on
abf a few months ago but I have a few questions. This is not a cheap cut of
beef in the UK (about 6 dollars per pound) so I don't want to screw up.

Jack Curry said..
"At last, a pastrami that's damned good, made from a brisket flat. No more
pricy corned beef for moi.

Here's how:
1 cup Morton Tenderquick
4 cups of water
1-2 cups of ice to bring the water temp down
2 TBS pickling spice
6-8 cloves of mashed up garlic

Mix all above until it's in solution, then soak a 10-11 lb brisket flat in
it, in the fridge for 72 hours, stirring or flipping the brisket
occasionally."

Question 1
I will get my butcher to cut the brisket from the carcass. How much fat
should I get him to leave on?
"Remove the brisket, wash the spices and stuff off, then soak it fresh,
cold
water, in a food-grade bucket (get one in the bakery department of your
grocery store for free - they get fudge icing in them) for 2-3 days,
changing the water at least 3 times."

Question 2
At this stage, does it still need to be refridgerated. One of those catering
buckets won't fit in my fridge. Is 3 days at room temperature OK?
"Remove, pat dry, sprinkle liberally with a mix of 2/3 cracked coriander
seeds, 1/3 cracked black pepper and a couple of TBS of garlic powder.
Cook at 250? in some oak smoke for about 11 hours, until it passes the fork
test."

Question 3
Oak wood for the full cook or just the 1st few hours and cook it fat side
up?

"Jack Curry
-not salty this time ;0)-"

Graeme
Jack Curry's Pastrami

Jack Curry >
"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> I'm going to try to replicate Jack Curry's pastrami recipe that he posted

on
> abf a few months ago but I have a few questions. This is not a cheap cut

of
> beef in the UK (about 6 dollars per pound) so I don't want to screw up.
> Jack Curry said..
> "At last, a pastrami that's damned good, made from a brisket flat. No

more
> pricy corned beef for moi.
> Here's how:
> 1 cup Morton Tenderquick
> 4 cups of water
> 1-2 cups of ice to bring the water temp down
> 2 TBS pickling spice
> 6-8 cloves of mashed up garlic
> Mix all above until it's in solution, then soak a 10-11 lb brisket flat in
> it, in the fridge for 72 hours, stirring or flipping the brisket
> occasionally."
> Question 1
> I will get my butcher to cut the brisket from the carcass. How much fat
> should I get him to leave on?

If you're paying for fat at brisket prices, I'd have him leave no more than
1/2" fat cap on. When briskets are cheap, I like to have plenty of fat for
the cook and take it off after the meat is done, which makes for a nice
juicy finished product. Make sure you have enough of the cure mix to cover
the meat, following the proportions above as necessary.

> "Remove the brisket, wash the spices and stuff off, then soak it fresh,
> cold
> water, in a food-grade bucket (get one in the bakery department of your
> grocery store for free - they get fudge icing in them) for 2-3 days,
> changing the water at least 3 times."
> Question 2
> At this stage, does it still need to be refrigerated. One of those

catering
> buckets won't fit in my fridge. Is 3 days at room temperature OK?

According to Morton, after corning the meat is fully cured and can be left
without refrigeration, but I'm kinda cautious about doing that. If it won't
fit in your fridge, put the meat/bucket in a cooler or whatever with ice
around it. Add ice as necessary and you won't have to worry about it. Just
don't let it get warm and it should be fine.
Make sure you change the water at least 3 times. The only mistakes I've
ever made doing this is to not remove enough salt by soaking it out and by
undercooking, producing a very chewy pastrami.

> "Remove, pat dry, sprinkle liberally with a mix of 2/3 cracked coriander
> seeds, 1/3 cracked black pepper and a couple of TBS of garlic powder.
> Cook at 250? in some oak smoke for about 11 hours, until it passes

the fork
> test."

> Question 3
> Oak wood for the full cook or just the 1st few hours and cook it fat side
> up?

First few hours of smoke (oak, hickory or pecan) will do the job and fat
down if cooking direct, fat up if indirect. When it reaches 185 internal,
start fork testing. It isn't done until the fork goes in pretty
easily...unless you want to slice it very thin. I prefer it brisket-done,
which doesn't slice thin very well as it falls apart, but that's a matter of
preference.
Good luck Graeme and post some pix on abf.
Jack Curry

I have searched many sources for authentic corned beef/pastrami and gave up! Too many conflicting ingredients and procedures. So I finally got off my butt and opened the good ole stand by - Joy of Cooking, cookbook.

Corned Beef

This salted beef actually has nothing to do with corn but got its name in Anglo-Saxon times when a granular salt the size of a kernel of wheat-"corn" of course to a Briton -was used to process it. To corn, combine:

4 quarts hot water
2 cups coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1-1/2 teaspoons saltpeter or sodium nitrate,

When cool, pour over;

A 5-lb. piece of beef: brisket or tongue
which has been placed in a deep enameled pot or stoneware jar. Add:

3 cloves garlic
Weigh meat to keep it submerged, and cover pot.

Cure in refrigerator 3 weeks, turning meat every 5 days.

To cook for corned beef, wash under running water to remove surface brine; Cover with boiling water and simmer, allowing about 1 hour per pound, or until a fork can penetrate to center. Always slice corned beef thin.

For Pastrami

To convert the corned beef to pastrami, do not boil, the meat must be smoked. After brining wash under running water to remove surface brine, commercial pastrami is cooked entirely by hot smoking. At 320 degrees for 6 top 7 hours, using plenty of oak and or hickory chips.

I bought a jar of McCormick Pickling Spice and the ingredients were as follows, cinnamon, allspice, mustard seed, bay leaves, ginger, chillies, cloves, black pepper, mace, cardamom and sulfiting agents.

Pastrami - meat

3 Tablespoons crushed garlic

3 Tablespoons Whole coriander seeds

3 Tablespoons Whole black peppercorns

1 Tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons saltpeter to keep the meat pink (optional)

1 Flat cut fresh brisket of beef (3 lbs) trimmed but with a little fat on top

1/2 cup mild tasting vegetable oil

3 Tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 Cup distilled white vinegar

1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice

1 Cup firmly packed brown sugar for smoking

Using a mortar and pestle, coarsely crush the garlic, coriander, peppercorns, salt and optional saltpeter. Rub the mixture into the brisket, then place the meat in a ceramic container just large enough to accommodate it. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or with foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the oil, 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar, the vinegar and allspice. Pour the mixture over the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for another 24 hours, turning once. Place the meat on a steamer tray set into a steamer with just enough water to steam the meat for 2-1/2 hours. Pour the marinade over the meat. Some or most of the marinade will drip down into the water below.

Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the water boils constantly to create steam but doesn't boil up and over. Cover the pot tightly with a lid or with foil. Steam for 2-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Turn off heat. Remove the steamer tray with the meat. Clean the steamer pot. Line the bottom and about an inch up the sides with foil.

Place 1 cup brown sugar on the foil. Return the steamer tray with the meat to the steamer, cover, and adjust the heat to medium.

When you start to smell the brown sugar smoking, reduce the heat so that the sugar continues to smoke without burning. Smoke the meat for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the steamer on the burner until cool.

Slice the meat thin, and pile high on rye bread!

Source: "Traditional Jewish Cooking" by B. Goldberg

www.razzledazzlerecipes.com

Black Bottom Pie

2 cups milk
1 envelope plain gelatin
1 tbs. cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs. cold water
4 egg yolks , beaten (use whites later)
2 squares baking chocolate, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped
3 tbs. powdered sugar
2 squares baking chocolate, grated
1 pie shell, baked

Preparation
Soak gelatin in cold water (set aside). Scald milk & add sugar & cornstarch. Stir until smooth. Add beaten egg yolks. Cook in top of a double boiler until thick, stir constantly. Stir in dissolved gelatin. Divide custard into halves. Add chocolate & vanilla to one half. Pour into a baked pie shell. Cool remaining half of custard. Beat egg whites & cream of tartar & slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar. Blend with cooled custard Spread over top of chocolate layer. Chill in refrigerator. Whip cream & sweeten with 3 TBS powdered sugar. Top custard with sweetened whipped cream. Sprinkle grated chocolate on top of whipped cream. Chill well before serving.

Dough

2-3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1 package of rapid rise yeast, 1
cup of tepid water, 1/4 cup salad oil, 2 tablespoonfuls of oil.

Add flour and cornmeal to breadmaker pan, mix well by hand, add yeast to
water and allow to dissolve well, stirring well and allow to sit 15 minutes,
add oils to water stirring well , then add to breadmaker pan with flour and
cornmeal. start breadmaker. Note: allow dough to rise twice! This is
important for a thick yet light crust.

After dough has risen twice, spread dough out in a lightly oiled pan that is
about 13 inches round, the higher the pan wall the better.

Next you will lay down sliced mozzarella cheese, one layer deep all over
dough. Yes, cheese goes on top of dough, this is about 1/2 pound to cover.

Next add your favorite toppings, mine would be broccoli, sweet italian
sausage, pepperoni, onion, mushrooms, black olives, etc...

Taking a step back, before you prepare the dough, take two cans of whole
tomatoes, italian/pear style as they are the meatiest, dump them into a
strainer to drain off the juice, squish the whole tomatoes, draining off
excess juice as you go, then add the following to the squished tomatoes, 1
tsp. basil, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. of minced garlic (3-4
cloves), mixing well, cover and set aside,

Spread or dribble the tomato and seasoning blend on top of the fixings,
applying evenly but don't worry if there isn't perfect coverage, cause
during cooking it will all flow together!

Lastly sprinkle all over the top and dough edges freshly grated parmesan
cheese, then drizzle about 2-3 tablespoon fuls of olive oil on top of
parmesan.

You should have preheated your oven to 450 degrees, that's right 450!, place
pan in bottom 3rd of the oven, always less than the middle of the oven or
top will become too hard. And if you place it on the lowest rack you risk
causing the crust to become too dry.

Bake for 35 minutes, allow to cool for about 15 minutes then slice!

Texas-Style Barbecued Beef Ribs

It is important to use beef ribs with a decent amount of meat, not bony scraps; otherwise, the rewards of making this recipe are few. Because the ribs cook slowly and for an extended period of time, charcoal briquettes,not hardwood charcoal (which burns hot and fast), make a better fuel. That said, do not use Match Light charcoal, which contains lighter fluid for easy ignition. For the wood chunks, use any type of wood but mesquite, which can have an overpowering smokiness. It's a good idea to monitor thegrill heat; if you don't own a reliable grill thermometer, insert an instant-read thermometer into the lid vent to spot-check the temperature. Except when adding coals, do not lift the grill lid, which will allow both smoke and heat to escape. When barbecuing, we prefer to use a Weber 22-inch kettle grill.

Serves 4

Barbecue Sauce

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced onion
1 medium clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups tomato juice
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo
2 tablespoons mild molasses or dark molasses (not blackstrap)
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Ribs

4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
3 - 4 beef rib slabs (3 to 4 ribs per slab, about 5 pounds total)

1. To make the Barbecue Sauce: Heat butter in small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until foaming; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tomato juice, 1/2 cup vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chipotle, molasses, and salt;increase heat to high and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 30 to 40 minutes. Off heat, stir in pepper and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar. Cool to room temperature before serving. (Can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days; bring toroom temperature before serving.)

2. For ribs:Mix chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper in small bowl; rub ribs evenly with spice mixture. Let ribs stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

3. Meanwhile, cover 2 large wood chunks (see note) with water and soak 1 hour. Drain wood chunks. Open bottom grill vents. Using chimney starter, ignite 30 briquettes (about one-third large chimney, or 2 quarts) and burn until covered with thin coating of light gray ash, about 10 minutes. Empty coals into grill, then bank coals against one side of grill, stackingthem 2 to 3 coals high; place 1 soaked wood chunk on top of coals. Position grill grate over coals, cover grill, and adjust lid vents two-thirds open. Heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes; scrape grill grate clean with grill brush. Position ribs, meat-side down, on cool side of grill (theymay overlap slightly); cover, positioning lid so that vents are directlyabove ribs. (Temperature on thermometer inserted through vents should register about 300 degrees.) Cook until grill temperature drops to about 250 degrees, about 1 hour. (On cold, windy days, temperature may drop more quickly, so spot-check temperature. If necessary, add 5 additional briquettes to maintain temperature above 250 degrees during first hour of cooking.)

4. After 1 hour, add 20 more briquettes and remaining wood chunk to coals; using tongs, flip ribs meat-side up and rotate so that edges once closest to coals are now farthest away. Cover grill, positioning lid so that vents are opposite wood chunk; continue to cook until dinner fork can be inserted into and removed from meat with little resistance, meat pulls away from bones when rack is gently twisted, and meat shrinks 1/2 to 1 inch up rib bones, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours longer. Transfer ribs to cutting boardand let rest 5 minutes; using chef's knife, slice between bones to separate into individual ribs. Serve, passing sauce separately.

Rub

By: Mike Willsey

Chicken or Pork

2 tbs. paprika
2 tbs. salt
2 tbs. garlic powder
2 tbs. onion powder
1 tbs. ground red pepper, cayenne
1 tbs. black pepper

This should be applied heavy as the paprika makes it mild.

Cauliflower (Mock-Potato) Salad

This salad is also great made with bright green broccoflor, a hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. For variety, add sliced hardboiled eggs.

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 packets sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
3 green onions, chopped
1 very finely chopped jalapeno pepper or 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
Salt and pepper

1. Cook cauliflower in a large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes, until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar substitute, and mustard. Add cauliflower, green onion and pepper, if using. Mix well until vegetables are evenly coated with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill 30 minutes for flavors to blend.

Amish County Fair Barbecue Sandwich Sauce

Marsha Adams, Cooking in Amish Country

2 tbs. butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1-1/2 cup beef stock
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs. Worcestershire, plus 1 tsp.
1 tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. celery salt
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Sauté onion in butter, add remaining ingredients, mix well, add about 4 pounds (original recipe called for half roasted pork and half roasted beef) of meat. Simmer over low heat until thick, about 15 minutes.

Sauce, Barbecue

By: The Caterer to the LBJ Ranch: Walter Jetton
From: Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book

Copyright, (1965 By Arthur Whitman
All rights reserved.
Published by Pocket Books, Inc.

Barbecue Sauce
This is the secret of the ages I am giving you here, and I would not be surprised if wars have been fought over less. Use this as a plate or table sauce with beef, chicken, pork or almost anything else. Don't cook things in it.

1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups water
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 bays leaves
1 clove garlic
2 tbs. chopped onion
4 tbs. butter
4 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. paprika
Dash of black pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.

About 2-1/2 cups

Mike's Atkinized BBQ Sauce

Contadina Tomato Paste 2-6oz. Cans, plus water (total fluid is 3 cups), place paste in large measuring cup and bring fluid total to 3 cups.

In a blender: (to chop up vegetables)
Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup
Water, 1/2 cup
Yellow Onion, 1/2 cup
Green Pepper, 1/2 cup

After blending, add blender contents to tomato paste/water, plus,

2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar, white
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 cup of Franks or Texas Pete's hot sauce

Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring often, then add and stir in well,
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar

South Carolina Barbecue Assc. (SCBA) Barbecue Sauce

28 ounce tomato puree

3 cups water
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup dark corn syrup

2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon brown

2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons onion power

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all, simmer in a heavy pot for15 minutes. Don't allow to boil.
Makes 3-1/2 cups of sauce.

Source: www.scbarbecue.com

Sauce Sylvia's Barbecue

16 oz. Red Devil Hot Sauce (or, Frank's, Texas Pete's or Louisiana, not Tabasco!)
2-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 small onion, sliced
1 small stalk celery, sliced
3 cups tomato puree
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 lemon sliced

Combine all ingredients in a heavy pot and heat just till hot. Don't bring to a boil or the sauce will turn dark and become thin. Cool the sauce to room temperature, strain, then store it in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.

About 5 cups

Modified from "Sylvia's Soul Food Recipes from Harlem's World Famous Restaurant"

Bratwurst Recipe Jack Schmidling

Bratwurst is made from pork and veal. You can substitute beef for the veal but unless you are making it by the ton, it is not worth the compromise. The recipe is based on a total of one pound of meat. You can work out the ratio for larger quantites.

60% (9.6 oz) Pork, 40% (6.4 oz) Veal 1 lb

Salt(pickling)1 tsp
Onion Salt1/2 tsp
Ground White Pepper 1/2 tsp
Marjoram 1/2 tsp
Parsley 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg 1/4 tsp
Celery Seed 1/4 tsp
Ginger 1/8 tsp
Mace 1/8 tsp
Cardamon 1/8 tsp
Red Wine 2 oz

Grind meat through 3/16" plate.

Mix non-meat ingredients in bowl and add to ground meat and mix thoroughly.

Chill in freezer for 30 min.

Mix again and grind through 1/4" plate.

Stuff into sheep or hog casings and air dry for 30 min or until dry to the touch.

Refrigerate or freeze for use.

SAUSAGE PAGE

PRESERVED FOOD PAGE

HOME PAGE

Jack Schmidling Productions, Inc.
18016 Church Road ~ Marengo IL 60152
Phone:815 923 0031 ~

Breakfast Sausage Recipe Jack Schmidling

PORK, boned 1 lb
SALT, pickling (non iodized) 1 tsp
PEPPER, ground 1/4 tsp
SAGE, rubbed 1/2 tsp
GINGER 1/8 tsp
NUTMEG 1/4 tsp
THYME 1/4 tsp
PAPRIKA 1/4 tsp
WATER 2 oz

Grind pork through a 3/16" plate.

Mix all other ingredients in bowl and then mix into ground meat.

Chill in freezer for 30 min.

Grind through 1/4" plate.

If you just want bulk sausage, you can form into patties or just store in freezer bags, in freezer.

If you are going to stuff.....

Chill in freezer for 30 min.

Stuff into sheep casings.
This is no more difficult than it sounds if you know a few tricks. Just rinse about 3 feet of sheep casings in cold water and after finding the hole in one end, feed this onto the stuffing tube. Just keep sliding it on the tube until you reach the end. Tie a knot at the end and start stuffing. It is a lot easier with a helper to either keep the stuffer full or to do the stuffing.

When the 3 ft casing is full, lay it out on a counter and smooth it out with the hands to a uniform thickness. About 3" from one end, pinch the casing and give the link a full twist. Pinch again about 3" from the first link and twist in the opposite direction. Continue in this manner to the end, always twisting the current link in the opposite direction from the previous.

I always put the meat back into the freezer while linking just to keep it cold. Once the process is learned, you can stuff the whole batch and link them all at one time.

Hang the stuffed sausage in a cool place to dry to the touch, approximately 30 minutes.

Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.

You now have your own home made sausage. All the fresh sausages are made in the same manner.

SAUSAGE PAGE

PRESERVED FOOD PAGE

HOME PAGE

Jack Schmidling Productions, Inc.
18016 Church Road ~ Marengo IL 60152
Phone:815 923 0031 ~

Breakfast Sausage

I just made a 10-pound batch using Rytek Kutas' recipe in his classic work "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing." Here it is: 10 lbs. ground pork butt 5 TBS salt 1 TBS ground white pepper 2 TBS rubbed sage (I had it fresh) 1 TSP ground ginger 1 TBS ground nutmeg 1 TBS ground thyme 1 TBS ground red chile (optional) 1 pint ice water

Title: POLISH SAUSAGE (KIELBASA) Categories: Meats, Main dish Yield: 1 servings 4 ts Coarse (kosher) salt 1 3/4 ts Ground black pepper 3 tb Hungarian (sweet) paprika 1 ts Marjoram 1/2 ts Savory 3 ts Garlic, minced fine 10 oz Beef shin,1/2"dice,chilled 14 oz Fresh pork fat,1/2"dice>>> Chilled 1/3 c Ice water 1 1/4 lb Lean,trimmed pork,1"dice>>>> Chilled Mix together in small bowl, salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram, savory, and garlic. In food processor, combine half the beef, half the pork fat, half the ice water, and half the mixed seasonings. Process very fine.

Indiana Farm Sausage
Ingredients
2 pounds lean ground pork or turkey, at room temperature
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)

Polish Sausage
* 2 lb. Pork butt or shoulder
* 2 teaspoon salt
* Black pepper to taste
* 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/3 c Plus 1 teaspoon ice-cold water
Cut pork into 1 1/2 " cubes, trimming all gristle and bone. Pass through a meat grinder with a coarse blade. Put pork in a large stainless or ceramic crock or bowl. Mix the dry spices in a small bowl. Using your hands, toss the meat while adding the spices a small amount at a time. When half the spices are in, add half the ice water. Mix keeping the meat as loose as possible. Add remaining spices & water as above. At this point you may fry a small patty of the meat to test for seasonings. Adjust if necessary.
Refrigerate the sausage mix overnight
Stuff the mix into about 5' of rinsed casings, tying off links at about 8" lengths.
You may grill, steam or fry the sausages as you prefer.

Breakfast Sausage
* 15 pounds boned pork butts
* 8 tablespoons kosher salt
* 5 teaspoons ground white pepper
* 3 tablespoons of rubbed sage
* 11/2 teaspoons ginger
* 5 teaspoons nutmeg
* 5 teaspoons thyme
* 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 3 cups ice water

Grind all of the pork butts through a three-sixteenths or one-quarter inch plate. Refrigerate the ground pork until well chilled - ideally 32 to 34 degrees Fahrenheit. When the meat is chilled, thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. In a large bowl or lug, thoroughly mix the water and spice mixture with the ground pork. Immediately stuff into 22mm to 24mm lamb casings. Hang the stuffed sausage in a cool place to dry to the touch, approximately 30 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.
If you do not have a sausage stuffer, you can store the sausage in patties or in bulk. Refrigerate or freeze as desired.

Hot-Sweet Italian

This favorite pizza topping is a coarse pork sausage, generally sold in plump links. Italian sausage is usually flavored with garlic and fennel seed or anise seed. It comes in two styles: hot (flavored with hot, red peppers) and sweet (without the added heat). It must be well cooked before serving, and is suitable for frying, grilling or braising. The recipe below is a hybrid of hot and sweet.

* 15 pounds boned pork butts
* 2 3/4 cups very cold red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon works nicely)
* 7 tablespoons kosher salt
* 7 tablespoons fennel
* 6 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon ground coriander
* 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
* 2 teaspoons oregano
* 11/2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 11/2 teaspoons sugar
* 11/2 teaspoons caraway seed
* 1 teaspoon MSG

Grind all of the pork butts through a one-quarter inch or three-eighths inch plate. Refrigerate the ground pork until well chilled - ideally 32 to 34 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the meat is chilled, thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. In a large bowl or lug, thoroughly mix the wine and spice mixture with the ground pork. Immediately stuff into 32mm to 35mm hog casings. Hang the stuffed sausage in a cool place until the casings are dry to the touch. Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.
If you do not have a sausage stuffer, you

Bratwurst

* 3 feet small (1-1/2-inch-diameter) hog casings
* 1 1/2 lb. lean pork butt, cubed
* 1 lb. veal, cubed
* 1/2 lb. pork fat, cubed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground white-pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Prepare the casings.
Grind the pork, veal, and pork fat separately through the fine blade of the grinder.
Mix the ground meats and grind again.
Add the remaining ingredients to the meat mixture and mix thoroughly.
Stuff the mixture into the casings and twist off into four or five-inch lengths.
Refrigerate for up to two days.
Bratwurst can be pan fired or grilled over charcoal.

How to Make Klobasa (Slovak Sausage)
posted 18 March 04

An excerpt from The Romanchik Family Slovak Cookbook by Dan Romanchik

I must have been eight or nine when my father and grandfather decided to start making sausage again. I say again because this was an annual activity back when my grandfather lived on the farm. To make that first batch, my grandfather bolted a hand-cranked grinder to a bench, and we all took turns cranking it. It was hard work.

The sausage turned out great, though, and sausage-making has become a family tradition. About twice a year, my family will gather to make sausage. It's not uncommon for us to make 80 pounds, and one Christmas we made over 100 pounds. It's nearly impossible to do this by hand-after that first time we bought an electric grinder.

Ingredients
10 pounds pork butt
1 head garlic
1 tablespoon pepper
3 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon marjoram
3 cups water or ice
1/4 pound sausage casings

The secret to making good klobasa is using just the right amount of garlic. When my family makes sausage, Brenda and I are in charge of adding the garlic. The first thing we do is peel one head of garlic for each ten pounds of meat. We then put the garlic in a blender, add some water, chop the garlic, and then let the mixture set for at least half an hour.

Next, we cut the pork butts, also known as Boston roasts. The butts average about 8 pounds and have a bone. To make sausage, you have to cut out the bone and then cut the meat into small cubes. While cutting, look for and remove any glands within the fat.

Cut away and discard unwanted fat and gristle, but don't throw it all away. Fat absorbs the garlic and marjoram, and without it, the sausage will not be as flavorful as it could be.

Place the meat into a tub, add the spices, garlic, water or ice, and mix. We use ice instead of water. This adds the appropriate amount of moisture and keeps the meat fresh at the same time.

To get the proper amount of garlic, my sister and I add some garlic to the meat, lean over the tub and smell the mixture. Then, we look at each other, and say, "More garlic." We repeat this until the smell is strong enough to suit us. One way we know that we've added enough garlic is if our mother can smell the garlic as she comes into the house.

After you've added enough garlic, let the meat mixture marinate for at least an hour. In the meantime, you can clean the casings. Natural casings come packed in salt, and before you can use them you have to rinse them, both inside and out with cold water.

The final step is to grind the meat and stuff the casings. The grinder we use has a sausage stuffer attachment so we grind and stuff in one step. To do this, you take a length of casing, tie a knot in one end, and slide the casing onto the sausage attachment. With this arrangement, the grinder grinds the meat right into the casing.

We package the sausage in plastic freezer bags and freeze most of it. In a good bag, the sausage will keep up to six months in the freezer.

Preparation
You can make klobasa many different ways. For Sunday-morning breakfasts, my mother would pan-fry it. First, put a little water in frying pan, add the sausage, and cover. Boil the sausage for a short while to cook, then uncover and boil off the water. Brown the sausage on one side, then turn and brown the other side.

For dinner, I will sometimes make klobasa with sauerkraut. First, put a little water in a frying pan, add the sausage and cover. Boil for about half an hour. Take the pan off the stove and drain the water. Next, add the sauerkraut to the pan and add some more water. Boil until the sauerkraut is heated. Serve with a good bread.

Italian Cheese and Red Wine Sausage

The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian

4 pounds boneless pork, shoulder or butt
1 tablespoon coarse ground fennel seed
2 bay leaves, crushed
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3/4 Cup dry red wine
4 yards sausage casings
Olive oil for cooking

Grind the meat using the coarse blade.

Mix all ingredients together and allow the mixture to sit for 1 hour before
stuffing into casings.

To cook, place in a frying pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and just enough
water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook until the water evaporates. Then, continue to
brown, turning once.

Sausage Italian, Hot-Sweet

[...]

Italian Sausage With Parsley And Cheese

The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian

2 pounds pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 pound pork fat, coarsely ground
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Put all the ingredients together, and mix them well. Let an hour and mix again. Stuff into casings.

Italian Sausage Recipe Jack Schmidling

Pork 1 lb
Red Wine 2 oz
Salt (pickling) 1 1/2 tsp
Fennel 1 1/2 tsp
Black pepper 1/8 tsp
Ground coriander 1/4 tsp
Oregano 1/2 tsp
Garlic powder 1/8 tsp
Caraway seed 1/8 tsp

Measure out spices, mix with wine and set aside.

Cut meat into 1" strips and grind them through a 3/16" plate. Meat should be as cold as possible when grinding. Partially frozen is best if the grinder can handle it.

Add spice mix to meat and mix thoroughly. Chill in freezer for 30 minutes.

Run the mixture through 1/4" plate. If you are going to stuff into casings, return to freezer while setting up stuffer. If bulk sausage is all that is required, just divide it up into lumps as required, wrap in plastic or freezer bags and freeze till needed.

For sandwiches, stuff into 32mm to 35mm hog casings. Hang the stuffed sausage in a cool place until the casings are dry to the touch. Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.

SAUSAGE PAGE

PRESERVED FOOD PAGE

HOME PAGE

Jack Schmidling Productions, Inc.
18016 Church Road ~ Marengo IL 60152
Phone:815 923 0031 ~

Sausage Italian Sweet Fennel

3 lbs pork butt
3/4 lb pork fat
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp fennel seed
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1/8 tbsp ground allspice
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup dry red wine

medium hog casings

Grind the pork and fat together in a food grinder with a 3/8 inch plate. Add garlic, salt, spices, and wine.

Mix well with your hands. Shape into patties or stuff into casings. Keeps 3 days in refrigerator or 2-3 months frozen.

Sausage_Italian Sweet

5 lb Coarse Ground Pork Butt
3 tsp Fennel seed
2 tsp White Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Sage Leaves
5 each Cloves pressed garlic
3 tsp Salt
1 cup White wine

Combine all ingredients, mix well and stuff into hog casing or make patties.

Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe

3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
1 lb. pork butt
1 lb. smoked bacon
4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Polish Sausage Recipe Jack Schmidling

Note: If you are new to sausage making, please read the general information on the Sausage page and the detailed processing steps on the Breakfast Sausage page linked below.

Pork 1 lb
Salt (pickling) 1 1/2 tsp
Black pepper 1/4 tsp
Sugar 1/4 tsp
Marjoram 1/4 tsp
Prague #1 (Smoked only) 1/4 tsp
Garlic 1 clove

Measure out spices, and set aside.

Cut meat into 1" strips and grind them through a 3/16" plate. Meat should be as cold as possible when grinding. Partially frozen is best if the grinder can handle it.

Add spice mix to meat and mix thoroughly. Chill in freezer for 30 minutes.

Run the mixture through 1/4" plate.

Stuff into hog casings and air dry for 30 min or until dry to the touch.

Fresh: Refrigerate or freeze immediately after drying.

Smoked: Smoke at 130F for 5 hours.

The smoked version must also be cooked before serving but can be refrigerated or frozen as with fresh sausage. It can also be cooked in the smoker to an internal temp of 155F but I prefer to cook it just before serving.

Jack Schmidling Productions, Inc.
18016 Church Road ~ Marengo IL 60152
Phone:815 923 0031 ~

Sausage Recipes

Compiled by: Mike Willsey

These are all various sausage recipes that I have found on the Internet and then modified to suit my families taste. All of the recipes are made basically the same way, cube the meat, then add all other ingredients, mixing very well, in the water use crushed ice, then grind. From there you can shape patties using an old lid of some sort that is covered with a sheet of plastic wrap, then add ground sausage, then fold over plastic wrap, press into a patty. Or, stuff into casings.
*
Italian - Hot (leave out the red pepper or reduce)

10 pounds pork butt
Optional: Add 2 pounds preferably of pork fat, or the fattest blandest bacon you can find, preferably bacon that isn't smoke flavor.
1/4 pickling salt or non-iodized table salt
1/4 cup fennel seed
1/4 cup ground black pepper
3 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Splenda or sugar
1 teaspoon caraway seed
2/3 teaspoon MSG (Accent)
1-1/3 teaspoons oregano
*
Polish

10 pounds pork butt
Optional: Add 2 pounds preferably of pork fat, or the fattest blandest bacon you can find, preferably bacon that isn't smoke flavor.
1-2/3 cups water, with crushed ice
3-1/3 tablespoons pickling salt or non-iodized table salt
2-1/2 tablespoons Splenda or sugar
1-2/3 tablespoons ground black pepper
2-1/2 teaspoons thyme
1-1/4 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons garlic powder (as much as you like and/or use fresh minced cloves)
1-1/4 teaspoons mustard seed
*
Breakfast

10 pounds pork butt
Optional: Add 2 pounds preferably of pork fat, or the fattest blandest bacon you can find, preferably bacon that isn't smoke flavor.
1-3/4 cups water with crushed ice
1-2/3 tablespoons ground red (cayenne) pepper (may be reduced)
2-1/2 teaspoons ground or rubbed sage
2-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
2-1/2 teaspoons MSG (Accent)
*

Sausage_Sicilian 2

2 LBs lean pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 LBs pork fat, coarsely ground
1 Tb coarsely ground fennel seed
2 bay leaves, crushed
1 Tb dried parsley
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tsp of salt
1/4 tspn ground black pepper
4 Tb dry white wine

Mix all the ingredients together. Let stand one hour.

Mix again and stuff into casings.

Another variation is to omit the parsley and white wine, but add 1/2 cup of
red wine.

Sausage_Sicilian

10lbs. Pork Butt
4 Tbl. Canning Salt
3 tsp. Fresh ground Black Pepper
1 Tbl. ground Coriander
1 Tbl. Sugar
1 1/2 ozs. Fennel Seed
2 tsp. Anise seed
2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbl. dried Parsley
8 oz. Cold water

Grind the pork butt thru a 1/4" hole plate. Mix in the spices and water with the meat. Mix thoroughly.

Stuff into 35mm Hog casings, and twist into 6" links. Let sausage age in the Fridge for 1 day. Then use or wrap and freeze.

Sausage Sicilian

10lbs. Pork Butt
4 Tbl. Canning Salt
3 tsp. Fresh ground Black Pepper
1 Tbl. ground Coriander
1 Tbl. Sugar
1 1/2 ozs. Fennel Seed
2 tsp. Anise seed
2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbl. dried Parsley
8 oz. Cold water

Grind the pork butt thru a 1/4" hole plate. Mix in the spices and water with the meat. Mix thoroughly.

Stuff into 35mm Hog casings, and twist into 6" links. Let sausage age in the Fridge for 1 day. Then use or wrap and freeze.

Chili - Wendy's

2 LB. hamburger browned and drained.
29 oz. tomato sauce
29 oz. can kidney beans, with juice
29 oz. can pinto beans, with juice
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup jalapeno, chopped, use seeds
1/4 cup celery, diced
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
3 tbs. chili powder
1-1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 cups water

Optional: 2 cans of mushrooms

Brown hamburger, discard fat, crumble meat. Combine all ingredients (use juice in cans of beans too) in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, place pot, covered in the oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.

Real Barbecue Spare Ribs
Cuchulain Libby
Texas, USA

From: "Cuchulain Libby" >

Barbecue does not include foil or crockpots and bbq sauce is to be served at the table. Good barbecue ribs simply do not require and are not improved by sauce. As for rubs, I submit a recipe to get you started but salt and pepper work fine and you should find a mixture you like with salt and pepper as the main ingredients and the rest as flavorings.

Not all of us have nor want a cinder block lined hole in the ground with a bedspring as the grill or a $1000 steel plate 3-chamber log burner (what I cook in). Adequate bbq is easily made in a $30 Brinkman H2O Smoker or a Weber kettle. It cannot be replicated in one's kitchen. Nor is it a "recipe", it really is a technique. Some define it as poor cuts of meat that, when subjected to the proper combination of time and smoke, become sublime. That works for me.

As for fuel, a small hot fire is better than a large smoldering one. The smoke should be wispy and blue, not billowing clouds and if you see dark smoke, you are choking it. In order of preference is hardwood logs, hardwood chunks, lump, and lastly briquettes and chips.

1 rack pork spare ribs, 3 1/2 pounds or less, ideally.
1 cup Barbecue Rub
Yellow Mustard (optional)

Barbecue rub:
1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 cup fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup good Paprika
1/3 cup onion/garlic powder
1/3 cup good chili powder or favorite ground chile powder
1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tablespoon roasted/ground each of cumin and coriander seeds
1 Tablespoon Coleman's dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne

Method:
Let the ribs come to room temperature and start the fire. Rinse and dry rack. Trim flap and small end if desired. With the end of a spoon, lift off part of the membrane, grab with a paper towel and pull off as much as you can. Slather the ribs with some mustard. Don't fret about the flavor, it's just the mortar to hold the rub. I use a big spice jar with the perforated lid as a shaker to apply the rub. If you forego the mustard, just spoon on
the rub and lightly press it into the meat. Both sides in either case. When the temperature is stabilized in the pit, about 225* F, place ribs bone side up and cook approximately five hours.
If you use a kettle: Bank the coals to one half with a single layer on the other half. Put the ribs on the hot side and cook for about 1/2 hour turning often then put the ribs on the cool side, place the lid so the vents are over the ribs and cook about an hour. You may have to add more coals to the hot side. For fuel, lump is OK, as are chunks. A chimney starter can be used to pre-burn the coals for adding during a session.

To test for doneness, grab one end and try to fold the ribs in half, if they fold easily let rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

Hound

Montreal Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
1/2 tablespoon dehydrated garlic
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried fennel

Mix together and store in a shaker. Shake or rub 1 tablespoon
seasoning onto 1 pound steaks, pork chops and hamburgers
before grilling or broiling.