Wally Bedford

Default How to prep cast iron grills for cooking?

As the new owner of a Char-griller, and first time round with cast iron,
I realize that you should oil the grill when it is hot, and before you
toss food on there.

What do you all use to do that with? Seems a lenghty process with a
pastry brush. I'm thinking of some kind of mop, heat resistant, about
the size of a tennis ball. Something that can hold more oil than a
pastry brush.

Does such an animal exist?

TIA,

Wally
dwacon

"Wally Bedford" > wrote in message
> As the new owner of a Char-griller, and first time round with cast iron, I
> realize that you should oil the grill when it is hot, and before you toss
> food on there.
>
> What do you all use to do that with? Seems a lenghty process with a
> pastry brush. I'm thinking of some kind of mop, heat resistant, about the
> size of a tennis ball. Something that can hold more oil than a pastry
> brush.
>
> Does such an animal exist?

We don't do nothing fancy like that... an old rag (laundered, naturally) is
good enough -- and can be tossed when done (and, especially, if it
accidentally catches on fire).

--
The (new and improved) Runaway Bride...
See Bride Run... Run, Bride... Run!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-4, 06/24/2005
Tested on: 6/24/2005 3:40:57 PM

Brick

On 24-Jun-2005, Wally Bedford > wrote:

> As the new owner of a Char-griller, and first time round with cast iron,
> I realize that you should oil the grill when it is hot, and before you
> toss food on there.
>
> What do you all use to do that with? Seems a lenghty process with a
> pastry brush. I'm thinking of some kind of mop, heat resistant, about
> the size of a tennis ball. Something that can hold more oil than a
> pastry brush.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wally

Yes, they do. They look like a miniature yarn kitchen mop. Many of the
video's I've seen of contests show contestants using them.
--
The Brick® said that (Work harder; millions on welfare depend on you. )

News=3D=3D----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ =

Newsgroups
> ----=3D East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =

=3D----

If there's one near you, World Market has them for just $2.99.

Jim

Wally Bedford wrote:
> As the new owner of a Char-griller, and first time round with cast iron,
> I realize that you should oil the grill when it is hot, and before you
> toss food on there.
>
> What do you all use to do that with? Seems a lenghty process with a
> pastry brush. I'm thinking of some kind of mop, heat resistant, about
> the size of a tennis ball. Something that can hold more oil than a
> pastry brush.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wally

Actually, when I seasoned my grates, I just used a can of Olive Oil
non-stick spray. Went over both sides of the grates, both before and
after I heated them for seasoning. Of course, you can also find a
natural bristle paint brush, the aforementioned mop, or a clean cotton
cloth. Any would work.