Duwop

"Lewzephyr" > wrote in message
> Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
> This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
> 2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......

At your price point I don't know of anything that size. The Chargriller Pro
comes pretty close with a cooking area of 21"D X 28"W. It'd fit everything
but the links as long as the briskets were small enough. Or, one packer cut
brisket, 2 butts and 2 chickens.
Give you another approximation, it'll fit 4 full sized rib slabs side by
side. About $180 or so.

Careful of the specs some of these websites give ya, they often include some
funny stuff, like awkward racks and firebox grates. You want barrell length
and more importantly, diameter, which is depth of course. Like I notice that
the "Longhorn" with a 20" diameter barrell (figure 19" usable mebbe) lists
itself as having 1,054 sq. inches of cooking space. Well with a 19" deep
grill, that sucker would have to be over 55" long (1,054/19) if it were one
rack. And I don't think that barrell is almost 6 feet long. So they're
including something extra.

> Now, the smoker I listed in the subject:
> http://www.nbsmoker.com/smokers.html
> I am looking at the Bandera line.... in hopes that it has more
> cooking room.
> Anyone have experience in using this particular smoker? How much meat
> can that sucker hold? does it cook similar to the silver smoker?
> Does it work decent for grilling? (I like multitaskers)

As far as know none of these will grill AND BBQ. Well, you can grill on
anything I suppose, but with such small diameter barrell's and no adjustable
fire grate I'll let you be the judge of how good they are at it.
But buy the Chargriller Pro for grilling and buy the add-on firebox and you
will have both.

Lewzephyr

Default Request info on the New Braunfels Smoker

Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......
Issue is the smoker does not have much cooking space to do all that in
one session. What I usually do (as I did this weekend) is cook the
Brisket the day before (because the time on it tends to be less
consistent than the pork shoulder) and do the Shoulder and Chicken
the day of.
What I would like to have is a smoker I could do em all at the same
time... obviously each would have a separate starting time... but
hopefully a close ending time.

By the way... all the brisket was gone, and most of the pork as
well... chicken had some issues because I attempted to use a portion
of the smoker as a grill for some bacon wrapped jalapeno. (ya, my dumb
ass dint think about losing the heat) it came out ok, but took much
longer than I intended (as in after all had ate already.)

Now, the smoker I listed in the subject:
http://www.nbsmoker.com/smokers.html
I am looking at the Bandera line.... in hopes that it has more
cooking room.
Anyone have experience in using this particular smoker? How much meat
can that sucker hold? does it cook similar to the silver smoker?
Does it work decent for grilling? (I like multitaskers)

I do tend to smoke more than grill, but like to have the option.
Rather use lump than gas any day.

FYI the reason I am looking at that particular model... is due to my
price limitations... as well as I would use the smoker as a grill on
certain occasions.

If you have a suggestion for another smoker that covers my concerns,
please throw them out. (More smoking space, ability to grill, and
preferred to stay under the $250.00 range.

Much appreciate the input.
"I fear that all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant, and filled it with
a desire for vengeance. "

Lewzephyr wrote:
> Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
> This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
> 2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......
> Issue is the smoker does not have much cooking space to do all that in
> one session. What I usually do (as I did this weekend) is cook the
> Brisket the day before (because the time on it tends to be less
> consistent than the pork shoulder) and do the Shoulder and Chicken
> the day of.
> What I would like to have is a smoker I could do em all at the same
> time... obviously each would have a separate starting time... but
> hopefully a close ending time.

Lewzephyr-

Before you buy the Bandera try this (as suggested by another NB owner
on this list):

Add a few cooking grates under the ones you already have. The currently
unused space below could easily fit two boston butts, some ribs,
chickens or 1 brisket.

At least then you'd have some flexibility as to how much to cook
without heating the extra (vertical) cooking space in the Bandera and
spending the extra $$ to upgrade.

HTH,
Rob
Q 4 all

Brick

On 1-Jun-2005, " > wrote:

> Lewzephyr wrote:
> > Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
> > This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
> > 2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......
> > Issue is the smoker does not have much cooking space to do all that in
> > one session. What I usually do (as I did this weekend) is cook the
> > Brisket the day before (because the time on it tends to be less
> > consistent than the pork shoulder) and do the Shoulder and Chicken
> > the day of.
> > What I would like to have is a smoker I could do em all at the same
> > time... obviously each would have a separate starting time... but
> > hopefully a close ending time.
> >

> Lewzephyr-
>
> Before you buy the Bandera try this (as suggested by another NB owner
> on this list):
>
> Add a few cooking grates under the ones you already have. The currently
> unused space below could easily fit two boston butts, some ribs,
> chickens or 1 brisket.
>
> At least then you'd have some flexibility as to how much to cook
> without heating the extra (vertical) cooking space in the Bandera and
> spending the extra $$ to upgrade.
>
> HTH,
> Rob
> Q 4 all

I'm guilty of posting about the bottom grate possibility in the NBS. The top

grates are 34 X 16 for 544 Sq In of grate. I lose 10 Sq in at the lowered
chimney.

The bottom grate(s) 34 X 10 for 340 Sq in of grate. Total after chimney
mod,
874 Sq in. of cooking area.

Finally, get Mathew Martin to teach you how to properly load a smoker and
you should be able to feed 50 people or more with one load.
--
The Brick® said that ( Keep the rubber on the road )

Brick

On 31-May-2005, "Duwop" > wrote:

> "Lewzephyr" > wrote in message
> > Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
> > This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
> > 2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......

< snip>

> > Does it work decent for grilling? (I like multitaskers)
> >

> As far as know none of these will grill AND BBQ. Well, you can grill on
> anything I suppose, but with such small diameter barrell's and no
> adjustable
> fire grate I'll let you be the judge of how good they are at it.
> But buy the Chargriller Pro for grilling and buy the add-on firebox and
> you
> will have both.
>
> --

I have grilled a number of times on my NBS (Father of the Charbroil
Silver). My grilling is generally a short time cook, so fighting the
top grates to add fuel isn't an issue. I have no difficulty getting enough
heat to satisfy me. I doubt that it reaches Kamado heat, but it does
reach selfcleaning heat whatever that is. It's not much of a problem to
get the belly of the beast Cherry Red. Not that I would want to do that,
but I did accidently once and it neatly took the powder coat off the bottom
of the barrel.

I don't grill in my firebox for the simple reason that my barrel smoker is
so close to the firedoor on my NBS that tending fuel via that access is
a PITA. Once I rearrange my screen room, I'll change my modus
operendi because the firebox grate is more then big enough for my
grilling needs.

I'm trying to understand how the chargriller with side firebox is going to
be an appreciable improvement over the existing Charbroil Silver. If the
man truly wants serious cooking area, he's not going to get it on the
low side of $250.
--
The Brick® said that ( Keep the rubber on the road )

Lewzephyr

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:13:30 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
"Brick" > :

>On 1-Jun-2005, " > wrote:
>
>> Lewzephyr wrote:
>> > Presently I am using the Charbroiler Silver Smoker with side firebox.
>> > This weekend I did a large spread of 2 Briskets, 2 Pork Shoulders and
>> > 2 Chicken... and some links to be thrown in......
>> > Issue is the smoker does not have much cooking space to do all that in
>> > one session. What I usually do (as I did this weekend) is cook the
>> > Brisket the day before (because the time on it tends to be less
>> > consistent than the pork shoulder) and do the Shoulder and Chicken
>> > the day of.
>> > What I would like to have is a smoker I could do em all at the same
>> > time... obviously each would have a separate starting time... but
>> > hopefully a close ending time.
>> >

>> Lewzephyr-
>>
>> Before you buy the Bandera try this (as suggested by another NB owner
>> on this list):
>>
>> Add a few cooking grates under the ones you already have. The currently
>> unused space below could easily fit two boston butts, some ribs,
>> chickens or 1 brisket.
>>
>> At least then you'd have some flexibility as to how much to cook
>> without heating the extra (vertical) cooking space in the Bandera and
>> spending the extra $$ to upgrade.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Rob
>> Q 4 all

>I'm guilty of posting about the bottom grate possibility in the NBS. The top
>
>grates are 34 X 16 for 544 Sq In of grate. I lose 10 Sq in at the lowered
>chimney.
>
>The bottom grate(s) 34 X 10 for 340 Sq in of grate. Total after chimney
>mod,
>874 Sq in. of cooking area.
>
>Finally, get Mathew Martin to teach you how to properly load a smoker and
>you should be able to feed 50 people or more with one load.

Thank you all for the responses...
I had looked at the Bandera(via web pictures) and the firebox,
appeard like it would be an easy use as a grill, when not smoking that
is. 8 )
I would love to be educated by Mathew Martin (hes the one with the
charcoal website yes?) on how to prperly load my Silver Smoker to
ensure all get eats. Know of any homemade Mathew Martin Lures?

What I am thinking I will just do for my grilling needs is make the
final call Lump or Gas... If going coal I will probly go with the
weber One Touch Silver 22-1/2 in. (the gold dosent appear to be sold
at any of the stores I have seen.) Is the price difference worth it
between teh silver and gold? The only difference I see is one has a
ash pan, and the other looks like an ash bucket.
And if gas... it will probly be one of those cheapo's for sub 150.00
and make a goal to save up for a biger purchase... (man those weber
look sweet.... but I dont have the 350 plus to buy one at this
juncture.)

Thanks again, all of you, for your time and insight.
"I fear that all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant, and filled it with
a desire for vengeance. "
Lewzephyr

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:01:32 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
Lewzephyr > :

>I would love to be educated by Mathew Martin (hes the one with the
>charcoal website yes?)

Hmm... my bad... that would be the thenakedwhiz guy....
"I fear that all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant, and filled it with
a desire for vengeance. "
Matthew L. Martin

Lewzephyr wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:13:30 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
> "Brick" > :
>
>>Finally, get Mathew Martin to teach you how to properly load a smoker and
>>you should be able to feed 50 people or more with one load.

> Thank you all for the responses...
> I had looked at the Bandera(via web pictures) and the firebox,
> appeard like it would be an easy use as a grill, when not smoking that
> is. 8 )
> I would love to be educated by Mathew Martin (hes the one with the
> charcoal website yes?) on how to prperly load my Silver Smoker to
> ensure all get eats. Know of any homemade Mathew Martin Lures?

I think that Brick had his tongue firmly in his cheek:-) I do know how
to get the most into (and out of) my ECBX2 <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>
but am clueless about loading an offset. I can smoke 17 whole chickens
at a time in the ECBX2 and have done enough chicken pieces for ~30
hungry people using only three 15 1/2" grates in it. Once I get my home
computer fixed, I'll repost pictures on a.b.f.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Brick

On 13-Jun-2005, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> Lewzephyr wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:13:30 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
> > "Brick" > :
> >
> >>Finally, get Mathew Martin to teach you how to properly load a smoker
> >>and
> >>you should be able to feed 50 people or more with one load.

> > Thank you all for the responses...
> > I had looked at the Bandera(via web pictures) and the firebox,
> > appeard like it would be an easy use as a grill, when not smoking that
> > is. 8 )
> > I would love to be educated by Mathew Martin (hes the one with the
> > charcoal website yes?) on how to prperly load my Silver Smoker to
> > ensure all get eats. Know of any homemade Mathew Martin Lures?

> I think that Brick had his tongue firmly in his cheek:-) I do know how
> to get the most into (and out of) my ECBX2 <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>
> but am clueless about loading an offset. I can smoke 17 whole chickens
> at a time in the ECBX2 and have done enough chicken pieces for ~30
> hungry people using only three 15 1/2" grates in it. Once I get my home
> computer fixed, I'll repost pictures on a.b.f.
>
> --
> Matthew

Methinks you might be a bit overly modest Mathew, but I'll hasten to
explain what I was really thinking of. Scattered amongst your posts
were a variety of tips and gimmicks for maximizing the use of space
in your cooker. I'm thinking that those practices and gimmicks could
be applied to most any kind of cooker when push comes to shove and
one needs to cook a lot of food. The kicker is that I don't recollect
any single compilation to those tricks.

It turns out that my archive, despite being pretty large, is not very
easy to search. My search for ECBX2 came up with just one hit
that led me to about 5 other pics. I didn't go to google, because
I didn't feel like wading through eleventy seven hundred text posts
to get to the pictures.

--
The Brick® said that ( Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak,
throats become dry, and they think irrationally

?? .....BECAUSE SHE SMELLS LIKE A NEW TRUCK )

Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:
> On 13-Jun-2005, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
>

>>Lewzephyr wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:13:30 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
>>>"Brick" > :

>>>Thank you all for the responses...
>>> I had looked at the Bandera(via web pictures) and the firebox,
>>>appeard like it would be an easy use as a grill, when not smoking that
>>>is. 8 )
>>>I would love to be educated by Mathew Martin (hes the one with the
>>>charcoal website yes?) on how to prperly load my Silver Smoker to
>>>ensure all get eats. Know of any homemade Mathew Martin Lures?

>>I think that Brick had his tongue firmly in his cheek:-) I do know how
>>to get the most into (and out of) my ECBX2 <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>
>>but am clueless about loading an offset. I can smoke 17 whole chickens
>>at a time in the ECBX2 and have done enough chicken pieces for ~30
>>hungry people using only three 15 1/2" grates in it. Once I get my home
>>computer fixed, I'll repost pictures on a.b.f.
>>
>>--
>>Matthew

> Methinks you might be a bit overly modest Mathew, but I'll hasten to
> explain what I was really thinking of. Scattered amongst your posts
> were a variety of tips and gimmicks for maximizing the use of space
> in your cooker. I'm thinking that those practices and gimmicks could
> be applied to most any kind of cooker when push comes to shove and
> one needs to cook a lot of food. The kicker is that I don't recollect
> any single compilation to those tricks.
>
> It turns out that my archive, despite being pretty large, is not very
> easy to search. My search for ECBX2 came up with just one hit
> that led me to about 5 other pics. I didn't go to google, because
> I didn't feel like wading through eleventy seven hundred text posts
> to get to the pictures.

My home computer is dead. It won't boot. The motherboard is still under
warranty so I'll pursue that with Intel. Once I get it back up and
running, I'll find and repost the pictures. It might be a good idea to
setup a website that can be used to demonstrate specific methods with
pictures.

I wish I had the time to do that. Not that I would, I just wish I had
the time:-)

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

J.D.

I had a NBBD smoker for 3 years before I upgraded to a Banderra. I am
extremely happy with my Banderra after about 2 years of using it. The
vertical firebox maintains a more consistant temperature throughout than the
long horizontal smokers, and you can really fit alot of food in it at once.
I actually put off the purchase since it was a little expensive at $288, but
in retrospect it has been well worth it.