Default grill questions

Good people of this news-group, I need your assistance.

I am looking at picking up a offset-smoker for my mother-in-law, and am
having a little difficulty in deciding which one to get. She is looking
for something that will last a long time, is relatively easy to use,
and is readily adaptable for anything from cooking a steak for two
after work if her date is coming for dinner to feeding the whole family
for a weekend cookout.

So far, she has been happy with her gas grill, but after 5 years, it's
on it's last leg. She decided to replace it, but wants to go with a
grill/smoker so family events can be more than the usual grill fare of
hotdogs/hamburgers/chicken/spam/whatever.

We have been looking around, and she decided that an offset smoker was
what she wanted. I tried to convince her that something like the WSM
would be better, but she has her mind set. With that in mind, I kept
looking for her, and finally narrowed it down to two. Keep in mind I am
having to work with budget constraints, her skill level, and use.

Budget Constraint- $200 or under

Skill level- Great cook, but used a gas grill for last 10-15 years

Use- she lives alone, but is dating someone and has two married
daughters with 3 grandkids total

The two I have it down to is the new Char-Broil Quickset smoker for
$168.44 at Wallyworld or the Char-Griller Super Pro grill/smoker at
Lowes for $169.98 (thats $119.99 for the grill with the optional $49.99
offset firebox for a grand total of $169.98.) Both run under $200, so
any accessories (thermo, cover, etc.) can be picked up at the same
time.

Has anyone owned/used either of these grills or know anything about
either company. The main things we are looking for is durability and
ease of use. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Jon

Duwop

> wrote in message
> Good people of this news-group, I need your assistance.
>
> The two I have it down to is the new Char-Broil Quickset smoker for
> $168.44 at Wallyworld or the Char-Griller Super Pro grill/smoker at
> Lowes for $169.98 (thats $119.99 for the grill with the optional $49.99
> offset firebox for a grand total of $169.98.) Both run under $200, so
> any accessories (thermo, cover, etc.) can be picked up at the same
> time.
>
> Has anyone owned/used either of these grills or know anything about
> either company. The main things we are looking for is durability and
> ease of use. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

A few of us have a ChargrillerPro, if you do a google search on this NG
you'll find some stuff. I wouldn't expect either of these to last more than
10 years, if that. Thin tines on the firegrates is my main complaint, I
started to burn through them in 2 years, but they do get a lot of use. The
body could be thicker, but hell, what can you expect for less than $200?
That said, it's the best, most versatile cooker I've ever owned. I've tried
finding other offsets that can grill and they just aren't there. Klose makes
one, but it's $2,000. I've bitched at him and Tejas about that, maybe one of
them will come out with one eventually, but until then, those guys make non
grilling offsets. But why am I even discussing those, they're out of the
target pricing.

I'd go with the CharGriller just for cooking space, it's got 830sq in
compared to 638 for the CharBroil. The Chargriller will fit 4 full sized rib
slabs for BBQ, no racks or gimicking needed.

If that's what you do end up getting, look for the mods we've posted to the
group previously.

Good luck, you a good son-in-law.

Brick

On 29-Apr-2005, " >
wrote:

> Good people of this news-group, I need your assistance.
>
> I am looking at picking up a offset-smoker for my mother-in-law, and am
> having a little difficulty in deciding which one to get. She is looking
> for something that will last a long time, is relatively easy to use,
> and is readily adaptable for anything from cooking a steak for two
> after work if her date is coming for dinner to feeding the whole family
> for a weekend cookout.

<major snippage>

> Has anyone owned/used either of these grills or know anything about
> either company. The main things we are looking for is durability and
> ease of use. Any ideas or comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

For openers, your MIL needs to know that charcoal fed smokers are not
set and forget cookers. They need quite a bit of attention for the duration
of the cook. That can be quite a lot of hours. They eat a lot of fuel. My
NB Silver (Char-Broil Silver) eats one to one and a half chimneys of lump
every hour. And that fuel has to be added about every hour or the fire will
die.

That Char-Broil QuikSet that you mentioned with the offset firebox gets
some pretty good press in this group.

The plus side of these offsets is that you can grill with a very hot fire
or smoke/roast below 250°. Keep in mind that it takes some skill to
manage one of these machines at the desirable 225°. Frankly, I cook
at 250° to 300° because it's a lot easier with the cooker I have.
If she's bound and determined, I'd recommend you go to Home Depot
and order her a Char-Broil Silver, if they don't have one in stock. If she
does'nt need the grilling volumn of the offset, I would seriously suggest
she go with the WSM. The WSM can grill in small quantities, but it can
smoke a considerable amount at one time.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

BOB

Brick wrote:

> For openers, your MIL needs to know that charcoal fed smokers are
> not
> set and forget cookers.

Huh? Maybe for the offset type that is being discussed by the OP, but
surely there are some charcoal fed smokers that are set and forget.
There are a couple of these on my patio.

Everything else in your post (and Dale's) is pretty damned good, but I
just couldn't let that small statement go.

BOB
with a charcoal fire stabilized @ 225°F and a brisket cooking, and I'm
heading for a TGIF in Cocoa. I'll be home around midnight/1 AM and
nothing is tending my pit except my pre-set damper openings.

Brick

On 29-Apr-2005, " BOB" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> >
> > For openers, your MIL needs to know that charcoal fed smokers are
> > not
> > set and forget cookers.

> Huh? Maybe for the offset type that is being discussed by the OP, but
> surely there are some charcoal fed smokers that are set and forget.
> There are a couple of these on my patio.
>
> Everything else in your post (and Dale's) is pretty damned good, but I
> just couldn't let that small statement go.
>
> BOB
> with a charcoal fire stabilized @ 225°F and a brisket cooking, and I'm
> heading for a TGIF in Cocoa. I'll be home around midnight/1 AM and
> nothing is tending my pit except my pre-set damper openings.

BOB, I think you need to go back and read the OP. MIL wants an
offset smoker. Your comments about set and forget are moot. I
think I did explain that a WSM would be preferable if she only
needed to grill in small quantities.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

midocr

I have been using a Chargriller for a couple years. Great starter
smoker! Here's something I put together a couple years ago that might help:

http://home.woh.rr.com/midocr/smoker.html

--
See ya,
Mike

"There is absolutely no problem that a man
cannot drink his way through!"
cc0112453

If she likes messing with a fire, even if it is only charcoal, with a off
set smoker you are looking at a learning curve and even after you get the
hang of it you still have to tend to it. Some people enjoy that sort of
thing. The cheaper off sets tend to not be as efficient as the high end
models and can be cranky on a cool windy day. If she wants ease of
operation and something that can hold a steady temp for a while on one load
of coals a WSM for smoking and a gas grill for the other stuff. You can buy
some of the off sets without their fire box and still use them as smokers.
They are actually a bit more efficient that way because there is less heat
loss. I used my CharGriller that way until I got the fire box and it
actually was easier to use before I installed it. You just build your
charcoal fire on one side and smoke on the other side. Problem with
grilling at the same time is that you let all of the heat out when you open
the lid.

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 29-Apr-2005, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:
>> >
>> > For openers, your MIL needs to know that charcoal fed smokers are
>> > not
>> > set and forget cookers.

>> Huh? Maybe for the offset type that is being discussed by the OP, but
>> surely there are some charcoal fed smokers that are set and forget.
>> There are a couple of these on my patio.
>>
>> Everything else in your post (and Dale's) is pretty damned good, but I
>> just couldn't let that small statement go.
>>
>> BOB
>> with a charcoal fire stabilized @ 225°F and a brisket cooking, and I'm
>> heading for a TGIF in Cocoa. I'll be home around midnight/1 AM and
>> nothing is tending my pit except my pre-set damper openings.

> BOB, I think you need to go back and read the OP. MIL wants an
> offset smoker. Your comments about set and forget are moot. I
> think I did explain that a WSM would be preferable if she only
> needed to grill in small quantities.
>
> Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Agreed - quite the good son-in-law.

I agree with the comments above on the Chargriller and Duwop makes a
great argument.

And if your M-i-Law can put away four racks of ribs... well - then I
see why you cater to her wishes...

Trey Borman
www.outdoorculinary.com

Matthew L. Martin

Duwop wrote:

> Jon, ignore the worshippers of the suppository, they know not what they
> miss. 90% of the cooking most do is grilling, and the Chargriller is great
> at that. It's more than adequate for BBQ as well, the suppository is easier
> to control, but so what? It sux at grilling.

IME, the WSM doesn't suck at grilling. It actually does it quite nicely.
The problem is the very low capacity of the 17 1/2" grill. After using
my WSM for all my grilling for a few months I became convinced that I
couldn't use a Kamado #5 as my only cooker.

Wait for it....

So I got a K7 and a K9. I'll never run out of space with those two. I
also still have the WSM.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Matthew L. Martin

Duwop wrote:

> Jon, ignore the worshippers of the suppository, they know not what they
> miss. 90% of the cooking most do is grilling, and the Chargriller is great
> at that. It's more than adequate for BBQ as well, the suppository is easier
> to control, but so what? It sux at grilling.

IME, the WSM doesn't suck at grilling. It actually does it quite nicely.
The problem is the very low capacity of the 17 1/2" grill. After using
my WSM for all my grilling for a few months I became convinced that I
couldn't use a Kamado #5 as my only cooker.

Wait for it....

So I got a K7 and a K9. I'll never run out of space with those two. I
also still have the WSM.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Duwop

"David G." > wrote in message
> I've been doing 100 % of my grilling on a WSM for over a year now, and I'm
> quite happy with the results.
> Granted .. I am grilling for a small group. I would want a kettle to do

more
> than I do.

(for M. Martin too)
Well, you can't adjust the height of the fire, you can't put the fire on one
side and a whole chicken just off the fire, etc.. I'm sure you *can* grill
things well on one, just not *as* well, or maybe easy is a better
desciption, as with something like the Chargriller with all the grate room
and adjustable fire grate. I'd rank the kettle lower than a large adjustable
for the same reasons, I cooked over a kettle for years too, made some fine
food on it, but gimme adjustable grates, they're great. Best grill I've ever
owned. Decent for BBQ too.

> Dale...maybe if you got a suppository, you wouldn't be so ornery :-)

lol, Feeling my oats, refereed (as an AR) a very rough BU19 class one soccer
game today that was more like a hockey game, fists flew, three red cards, 4
yellows, players complaining, parents screaming bloody murder ( I wasn't
aware of just how stupid and ignorant I am, but I've been corrected on that
account by one teams parents), cops were even called (no biggy there, the
cop showed up after the brouhaha was long over and didnt want to deal with
kids sports as assault). So you might say I had some pent up agressions,
couldn't take it out on soccer moms after all.

Dale
(a stoopid ornery referee)

Duwop

"David G." > wrote in message
> I've been doing 100 % of my grilling on a WSM for over a year now, and I'm
> quite happy with the results.
> Granted .. I am grilling for a small group. I would want a kettle to do

more
> than I do.

(for M. Martin too)
Well, you can't adjust the height of the fire, you can't put the fire on one
side and a whole chicken just off the fire, etc.. I'm sure you *can* grill
things well on one, just not *as* well, or maybe easy is a better
desciption, as with something like the Chargriller with all the grate room
and adjustable fire grate. I'd rank the kettle lower than a large adjustable
for the same reasons, I cooked over a kettle for years too, made some fine
food on it, but gimme adjustable grates, they're great. Best grill I've ever
owned. Decent for BBQ too.

> Dale...maybe if you got a suppository, you wouldn't be so ornery :-)

lol, Feeling my oats, refereed (as an AR) a very rough BU19 class one soccer
game today that was more like a hockey game, fists flew, three red cards, 4
yellows, players complaining, parents screaming bloody murder ( I wasn't
aware of just how stupid and ignorant I am, but I've been corrected on that
account by one teams parents), cops were even called (no biggy there, the
cop showed up after the brouhaha was long over and didnt want to deal with
kids sports as assault). So you might say I had some pent up agressions,
couldn't take it out on soccer moms after all.

Dale
(a stoopid ornery referee)

Duwop

"David G." > wrote in message
> I've been doing 100 % of my grilling on a WSM for over a year now, and I'm
> quite happy with the results.
> Granted .. I am grilling for a small group. I would want a kettle to do

more
> than I do.

(for M. Martin too)
Well, you can't adjust the height of the fire, you can't put the fire on one
side and a whole chicken just off the fire, etc.. I'm sure you *can* grill
things well on one, just not *as* well, or maybe easy is a better
desciption, as with something like the Chargriller with all the grate room
and adjustable fire grate. I'd rank the kettle lower than a large adjustable
for the same reasons, I cooked over a kettle for years too, made some fine
food on it, but gimme adjustable grates, they're great. Best grill I've ever
owned. Decent for BBQ too.

> Dale...maybe if you got a suppository, you wouldn't be so ornery :-)

lol, Feeling my oats, refereed (as an AR) a very rough BU19 class one soccer
game today that was more like a hockey game, fists flew, three red cards, 4
yellows, players complaining, parents screaming bloody murder ( I wasn't
aware of just how stupid and ignorant I am, but I've been corrected on that
account by one teams parents), cops were even called (no biggy there, the
cop showed up after the brouhaha was long over and didnt want to deal with
kids sports as assault). So you might say I had some pent up agressions,
couldn't take it out on soccer moms after all.

Dale
(a stoopid ornery referee)

I'll respond to everyone, but just had to start with this one...

> On second thought....she is your MIL. you better just do what she

says.

Agreed, since I don't enjoy sleeping on the couch

I actually have a very good MIL, and have no problem getting her what
she wants. One of her hobbies is woodworking (which she is very good
at), and she is a very independant lady, so I have no problem with her
wanting to learn the true art of BBQ. She bypassed the WSM's, (which I
actually started learning on) and went with what she saw as the most
versatile.

I had almost decided on the Chargriller when I asked the NG, and she
seems to prefer it as well. It seemed to have a wider cooking area,
where the Char-broil is longer and a bit narrower. Also, the one we
were looking at had Cast Iron grates instead of the porcelain wire
grates.

We had spoke about the immobile fire grates, but since her brother is a
welder, we both felt getting him to fabricate different grates with
risers would be easy.

thanks for all of the info. I will search tomorrow for the previous
articles and print a few, along with this one, for her to read.
Hopefully she will be spending Mother's Day learning and playing with
her new toy.

Thanks again,
Jon

Duwop

> wrote in message
>
> We had spoke about the immobile fire grates, but since her brother is a
> welder, we both felt getting him to fabricate different grates with
> risers would be easy.

Just one comment, if the dimensions are anything like my NBSilver, it *may*
be too shallow to get any benefit from. Mine's got a 6.5-7" drop from
cooking grate to fire grate as the lowest setting, which is good for
chicken, etc. With the Chargrill's narrower barrell, I'd think the drop
would need to be even more.

That said, have you downloaded the BBQ Faq yet? You're missing out if you
haven't. Google search this group for it if you want it.

Dale

Duwop

> wrote in message
>
> We had spoke about the immobile fire grates, but since her brother is a
> welder, we both felt getting him to fabricate different grates with
> risers would be easy.

Just one comment, if the dimensions are anything like my NBSilver, it *may*
be too shallow to get any benefit from. Mine's got a 6.5-7" drop from
cooking grate to fire grate as the lowest setting, which is good for
chicken, etc. With the Chargrill's narrower barrell, I'd think the drop
would need to be even more.

That said, have you downloaded the BBQ Faq yet? You're missing out if you
haven't. Google search this group for it if you want it.

Dale

Duwop

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Just one comment, if the dimensions are anything like my NBSilver, it

*may*
> be too shallow to get any benefit from. Mine's got a 6.5-7" drop from
> cooking grate to fire grate as the lowest setting,

Clarification: The Chargriller has a 6.5" drop, not the NBSilver.

Duwop

Duwop wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > We had spoke about the immobile fire grates, but since her brother

is a
> > welder, we both felt getting him to fabricate different grates with
> > risers would be easy.

> Just one comment, if the dimensions are anything like my NBSilver, it

*may*
> be too shallow to get any benefit from. Mine's got a 6.5-7" drop from
> cooking grate to fire grate as the lowest setting, which is good for
> chicken, etc. With the Chargrill's narrower barrell, I'd think the

drop
> would need to be even more.
>
> That said, have you downloaded the BBQ Faq yet? You're missing out if

you
> haven't. Google search this group for it if you want it.
>

> Dale
> --

yup, found the FAQ right after I found this NG. But, I had completely
forgotten it when I was advising her. I will have to go back this
weekend and show it to her, give her something to check out while she
is seasoning her new grill. (sorry, but I don't trust anything to be
"pre-seasoned")

She has decided to go with the Chargriller, and she wants to go pick it
up friday night. That way, after work saturday, she can season it and
have it ready to try out sunday for mothers day.

She also wanted me to thank everyone for the advice. She really
appreciated it.

Jon

Duwop wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > We had spoke about the immobile fire grates, but since her brother

is a
> > welder, we both felt getting him to fabricate different grates with
> > risers would be easy.

> Just one comment, if the dimensions are anything like my NBSilver, it

*may*
> be too shallow to get any benefit from. Mine's got a 6.5-7" drop from
> cooking grate to fire grate as the lowest setting, which is good for
> chicken, etc. With the Chargrill's narrower barrell, I'd think the

drop
> would need to be even more.
>
> That said, have you downloaded the BBQ Faq yet? You're missing out if

you
> haven't. Google search this group for it if you want it.
>

> Dale
> --

yup, found the FAQ right after I found this NG. But, I had completely
forgotten it when I was advising her. I will have to go back this
weekend and show it to her, give her something to check out while she
is seasoning her new grill. (sorry, but I don't trust anything to be
"pre-seasoned")

She has decided to go with the Chargriller, and she wants to go pick it
up friday night. That way, after work saturday, she can season it and
have it ready to try out sunday for mothers day.

She also wanted me to thank everyone for the advice. She really
appreciated it.

Jon

Duwop

> wrote in message
> yup, found the FAQ right after I found this NG. But, I had completely
> forgotten it when I was advising her. I will have to go back this
> weekend and show it to her, give her something to check out while she
> is seasoning her new grill. (sorry, but I don't trust anything to be
> "pre-seasoned")

All 500 hundred pages of it?

> She has decided to go with the Chargriller, and she wants to go pick it
> up friday night. That way, after work saturday, she can season it and
> have it ready to try out sunday for mothers day.

One more bit of advice, get yourself some hi temp black (or hell, chevy red,
yellow, blue, whatever) spray paint before the seasoning, like for car
engines or exhaust (maybe someone has specific suggestions for this?). My
firebox's paint started to burn off during the 1st hot fire. Main box has
been fine, no paint has burnt off it, but the firebox was another story.
Then you'll be ready to scrape and repaint it as soon as it's cooled off
before rust sets in. Mostly the lid and the door.

I didn't and it hasn't hurt none and adds a bit of color to the thing,
but...................

" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> yup, found the FAQ right after I found this NG. But, I had completely
> forgotten it when I was advising her. I will have to go back this
> weekend and show it to her, give her something to check out while she
> is seasoning her new grill. (sorry, but I don't trust anything to be
> "pre-seasoned")
>
> She has decided to go with the Chargriller, and she wants to go pick it
> up friday night. That way, after work saturday, she can season it and
> have it ready to try out sunday for mothers day.
>
> She also wanted me to thank everyone for the advice. She really
> appreciated it.

Good on her, Jon! (you, too) Here's wishing her years of good Q and a Happy
Mothers' Day. Let us know and, if possible, post some pics on a.b.f

--
Nick. To send your support to Any of Our Troops in Harm's Way, go to:
http://anysoldier.com/