FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dale's Seasoning/Similar Clone Recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/50127-dales-seasoning-similar-clone.html)

Marie 02-01-2005 09:05 AM

Dale's Seasoning/Similar Clone Recipe?

Happy New Year all.

We've been using the Dale's Seasoning for both grilled steaks and jerky with
great results. The biggest problem that we have is the sporadic availability
in the major local supermarket chains that dominate here in So.Fl. (Winn
Dixie/Publix). Both can go months without the marinade on the shelves. The
only other option that we have is the Moore's brand that is a very dismal
second and also subject to the same availability problems. Trying to
duplicate the marinade seems simple at first, as it appears to be similar to
soy sauce with powdered ginger,onion, and garlic added with a healthy dose
of MSG (Shades of a Terryiaki minus the wine and sweetner). Beyond that,
something seems to be missing from the brew. We've tried the only clone
recipe that we could find that adds Wasabi powder,Chinese 5 spice,and
suggests using ground Chipotle powder that we can't find anywhere locally.
The Wasabi powder and 5 spice added to the above dramatically removes the
taste from anything similar to Dale's and knowing the taste of Chipotle, I
hardly think that it is a possible ingredient either.
Has anyone either tried to duplicate the marinade or know of a similar
copycat recipe? Years ago, when Dale's was sold in the little glass
bottles, the company pitched a story that the "secret recipe" was brought
back from Japan following WWII for use in their restaurant. This would lead
one to suspect that the marinade might very well be a derivative of a
traditional Japanese recipe. FWIW, we once found a product sold in latin
markets marketed under the name of Maggi (Nestle Latin Markets) simply
labeled as "Sazon" or Seasoning, but imported from China. The taste was
extremely close.

Can anyone make any suggestions to what else might be in this marinade?

TIA,

Marie

Jack Curry 02-01-2005 04:47 PM

"Marie" > wrote in message
.. .
> Happy New Year all.
>
> We've been using the Dale's Seasoning for both grilled steaks and jerky

with
> great results. The biggest problem that we have is the sporadic

availability
> in the major local supermarket chains that dominate here in So.Fl. (Winn
> Dixie/Publix). Both can go months without the marinade on the shelves. The
> only other option that we have is the Moore's brand that is a very dismal
> second and also subject to the same availability problems. Trying to
> duplicate the marinade seems simple at first, as it appears to be similar

> soy sauce with powdered ginger,onion, and garlic added with a healthy dose
> of MSG (Shades of a Terryiaki minus the wine and sweetner). Beyond that,
> something seems to be missing from the brew. We've tried the only clone
> recipe that we could find that adds Wasabi powder,Chinese 5 spice,and
> suggests using ground Chipotle powder that we can't find anywhere locally.
> The Wasabi powder and 5 spice added to the above dramatically removes the
> taste from anything similar to Dale's and knowing the taste of Chipotle, I
> hardly think that it is a possible ingredient either.
> Has anyone either tried to duplicate the marinade or know of a similar
> copycat recipe? Years ago, when Dale's was sold in the little glass
> bottles, the company pitched a story that the "secret recipe" was brought
> back from Japan following WWII for use in their restaurant. This would

lead
> one to suspect that the marinade might very well be a derivative of a
> traditional Japanese recipe. FWIW, we once found a product sold in latin
> markets marketed under the name of Maggi (Nestle Latin Markets) simply
> labeled as "Sazon" or Seasoning, but imported from China. The taste was
> extremely close.
>
> Can anyone make any suggestions to what else might be in this marinade?
>
> TIA,
>
> Marie

Try buying a bottle of Lauriat dark soy sauce (Philippines). It's
remarkably similar to Dale's. Better IMO. There are many iterations of
dark soy sauce and the ones from Thailand are very sweet, so don't confuse
the two.

Jack Curry

Bill T 02-01-2005 06:48 PM

"Jack Curry" <Jack > wrote in message

> "Marie" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Happy New Year all.
>>
>> We've been using the Dale's Seasoning for both grilled steaks and jerky

> with
>> great results. The biggest problem that we have is the sporadic

> availability
>> in the major local supermarket chains that dominate here in So.Fl. (Winn
>> Dixie/Publix). Both can go months without the marinade on the shelves.
>> The
>> only other option that we have is the Moore's brand that is a very dismal

Go here and you can but it.
Bill

http://www.southernconnoisseur.com/dalsteakseas.html

cl 03-01-2005 01:32 PM

Jack Curry wrote:

> My first attempt at answering apparently got lost in the ether, so if this
> appears twice, sorry.
>

> Try buying a bottle of Lauriat dark soy sauce (Philippines). It's
> remarkably similar to Dale's. Better IMO. There are many iterations of
> dark soy sauce and the ones from Thailand are very sweet, so don't confuse
> the two.
>
> Jack Curry

Don't you guys think Dale's is way too salty?

-CAL

Bud 04-01-2005 05:19 AM

"Marie" > wrote in message
.. .
> Happy New Year all.
>
> We've been using the Dale's Seasoning for both grilled steaks and jerky

with
> great results. The biggest problem that we have is the sporadic

availability
> in the major local supermarket chains that dominate here in So.Fl. (Winn
> Dixie/Publix). Both can go months without the marinade on the shelves. The
> only other option that we have is the Moore's brand that is a very dismal
> second and also subject to the same availability problems. Trying to
> duplicate the marinade seems simple at first, as it appears to be similar

> soy sauce with powdered ginger,onion, and garlic added with a healthy dose
> of MSG (Shades of a Terryiaki minus the wine and sweetner). Beyond that,
> something seems to be missing from the brew. We've tried the only clone
> recipe that we could find that adds Wasabi powder,Chinese 5 spice,and
> suggests using ground Chipotle powder that we can't find anywhere locally.
> The Wasabi powder and 5 spice added to the above dramatically removes the
> taste from anything similar to Dale's and knowing the taste of Chipotle, I
> hardly think that it is a possible ingredient either.
> Has anyone either tried to duplicate the marinade or know of a similar
> copycat recipe? Years ago, when Dale's was sold in the little glass
> bottles, the company pitched a story that the "secret recipe" was brought
> back from Japan following WWII for use in their restaurant. This would

lead
> one to suspect that the marinade might very well be a derivative of a
> traditional Japanese recipe. FWIW, we once found a product sold in latin
> markets marketed under the name of Maggi (Nestle Latin Markets) simply
> labeled as "Sazon" or Seasoning, but imported from China. The taste was
> extremely close.
>
> Can anyone make any suggestions to what else might be in this marinade?
>
> TIA,
>
> Marie

You can also buy it he
http://www.greatsouth.com/gs/product...pf%5Fid=DAL001

I would also recommend Moores, Pilleteri's, and Bud's Marinade from Jasper,
Alabama. We can purchase the latter here at our local Piggly Wiggly in
South Alabama. P's and Bud's are lower in salt and better for my tastes.

Brian Worthey 05-01-2005 03:19 AM

"cl" > wrote in message

> Jack Curry wrote:
> >
> > My first attempt at answering apparently got lost in the ether, so if

this
> > appears twice, sorry.
> >

> > Try buying a bottle of Lauriat dark soy sauce (Philippines). It's
> > remarkably similar to Dale's. Better IMO. There are many iterations of
> > dark soy sauce and the ones from Thailand are very sweet, so don't

confuse
> > the two.
> >
> > Jack Curry

> Don't you guys think Dale's is way too salty?

It is a bit salty sometimes, but is the only thing that goes on my steaks
though. Put it on my burgers too!

B-Worthey

El Penguini 05-01-2005 01:53 PM

My two cents:
1. If you google Dales you'll see you can buy it in bulk from the
manufacturer. Case-wise, not pallet-wise. Hook up with some friends and
split a case.
2. Regarding the comment about being too salty, my experience has been that
you have to be careful about how long you marinate. I got a gift bottle
returned to me becuase the recipient thought it was too salty - they
marinated overnight. Yipes!
3. I find a Dale's marinated meal goes exceptionally well with a red-pepper
sauce for a dip. Like French-Fries and Ketchup.

Enjoy.

nutcase511 17-11-2010 08:55 PM

I love the taste of Dale's Seasoning, and have found a way to make a similar recipe without the MSG (because it's bad for you). I mix about 3 cups of Soy Sauce with 1/2 tsp of ginger, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp powdered garlic or one clove minced garlic, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp of "Liquid Smoke", a little bit of black pepper, and a tiny bit of Paprika. You can easily play with the amounts if you prefer the taste a different way.

I prefer to marinate the steaks by putting them into a Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer for around 2 to 3 hours in the fridge, or just soak them for about 4-6 hours in a Zip-Loc bag.

If you make steaks with these, my favorite way to make it is to...

Using beef:
Marinate in fridge
Preheat grill on high until the grate is hot (drop of water on the grate should boil) or if using a charcoal grill, place majority of charcoal on one side of the grill.
Place steaks above high heat until outside is seared (cooked until browned), flip and do the same to other side. Then place steaks over low heat and cook really slowly (this is why you put the majority of the charcoal on one side of the grill, so one side is "high" and the other is "low").
I like to drizzle meat with sauce every time I flip it, and flip it as little as possible.
If using venison (my favorite):
Same thing, but if there is fat on the piece, start with fat side down so the meat retains as much juice as possible.

Again, this is just how I do it. Let me know what you guys think, would love feedback and new ideas.

-Brandon