BOB

Default 48 hr brine, too long?

Eddie wrote:
> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> Just curious if longer is better.
> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> Eddie
> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

Try he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...n%27s+brine%22

Piedmont

Eddie wrote:

> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> Just curious if longer is better.
> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> Eddie
> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

Eddie,
It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I do
TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1 or 2
days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I have
brine pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.

The Fat Man's Brine

2 gallons water
1 1/4 cup pickling salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground sage
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsb fresh black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage)

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

bk

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Eddie wrote:
>
>> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
>> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
>> Just curious if longer is better.
>> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
>> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
>> Eddie
>> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

> Eddie,
> It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I do
> TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1 or 2
> days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I have brine
> pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.
>
> The Fat Man's Brine
>
> 2 gallons water
> 1 1/4 cup pickling salt
> 3/4 cup brown sugar
> 3 tbsp. garlic powder
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1 tbsp ground sage
> 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
> 1 tbsb fresh black pepper
> 4 bay leaves
> 1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
> 1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
> 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage)
>

> --
> Mike Willsey
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>

>Is that 2 tbsp each of Italian seasoning or a total of 2 tbsp.

bk

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Eddie wrote:
>
>> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
>> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
>> Just curious if longer is better.
>> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
>> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
>> Eddie
>> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

> Eddie,
> It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I do
> TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1 or 2
> days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I have brine
> pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.
>
> The Fat Man's Brine
>
> 2 gallons water
> 1 1/4 cup pickling salt
> 3/4 cup brown sugar
> 3 tbsp. garlic powder
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1 tbsp ground sage
> 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
> 1 tbsb fresh black pepper
> 4 bay leaves
> 1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
> 1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
> 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage)
>

> --
> Mike Willsey
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>

>Is that 2 tbsp each of Italian seasoning or a total of 2 tbsp.

kilikini

bk wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> Eddie wrote:
>>
>>> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read
>>> recommended time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
>>> Just curious if longer is better.
>>> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
>>> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
>>> Eddie
>>> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

>> Eddie,
>> It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I
>> do TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1
>> or 2 days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I
>> have brine pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.
>>
>> The Fat Man's Brine
>>
>> 2 gallons water
>> 1 1/4 cup pickling salt
>> 3/4 cup brown sugar
>> 3 tbsp. garlic powder
>> 1 tbsp chili powder
>> 1 tbsp ground sage
>> 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
>> 1 tbsb fresh black pepper
>> 4 bay leaves
>> 1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
>> 1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
>> 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and
>> sage)
>>

>> --
>> Mike Willsey
>> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>>

>> Is that 2 tbsp each of Italian seasoning or a total of 2 tbsp.

2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning - it already comes mixed with the herbs.

kili

Brick

On 24-Dec-2004, Eddie > wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:52:44 -0000, Bubbabob
> > wrote:
>
> >Eddie > wrote:
> >
> >> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
> >> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.

> >I've done turkeys for 72 hrs and they came out fine.

> Thx, nice to know I ain't gonna ruin the birds. My bad experience
> happened when I marinaded chicken for, IIRC, 24 hours or so. Well,
> that taught me a quick lesson. The meat came out almost mushy. I now
> know brining and marinading are two different animals.
> Eddie

I don't like to speculate, but IIRC, marinating is supposed to break down
tough cuts of meat. Depending on what you use for brine, it will have
varying effects on tenderness. For instance a straight salt brine would
do little to break down the texture of the meat, wheras lots of citrus
could practically dissolve it given enough time.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Piedmont

Eddie wrote:

> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> Just curious if longer is better.
> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> Eddie
> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

Eddie

Go to this link: Click on AFB Recipes Brine, it is a "text" document
that I have partially (in the construction phase) compiled of brine info
articles and recipes, all about brining. You can download and save it on
your PC if you wish.

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...c_p=%2FRecipes

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Secret experiments to make females obsolete gone awry! or, Men, are you
feeling a little bitchy today?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../intersex_fish

Piedmont

bk wrote:

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>
>>Eddie wrote:
>>

>>>If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
>>>time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
>>>Just curious if longer is better.
>>>Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
>>>Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
>>>Eddie
>>>getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

>>Eddie,
>>It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I do
>>TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1 or 2
>>days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I have brine
>>pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.
>>
>>The Fat Man's Brine
>>
>>2 gallons water
>>1 1/4 cup pickling salt
>>3/4 cup brown sugar
>>3 tbsp. garlic powder
>>1 tbsp chili powder
>>1 tbsp ground sage
>>2 tbsp crushed red pepper
>>1 tbsb fresh black pepper
>>4 bay leaves
>>1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
>>1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
>>2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage)
>>

>>--
>>Mike Willsey
>>http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>>

>>Is that 2 tbsp each of Italian seasoning or a total of 2 tbsp.

2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning which is comprised of the,
(ingrediants)

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Secret experiments to make females obsolete gone awry!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../intersex_fish

Piedmont

bk wrote:

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>
>>Eddie wrote:
>>

>>>If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
>>>time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
>>>Just curious if longer is better.
>>>Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
>>>Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
>>>Eddie
>>>getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

>>Eddie,
>>It all depends on what your brining and how much salt you've used. I do
>>TFM turkey brine and brine for 3 days and prefer that time over 1 or 2
>>days, doesn't seem to get as much flavor unless I go 3 days. I have brine
>>pork steaks in TFM brine for 1 day and they were done.
>>
>>The Fat Man's Brine
>>
>>2 gallons water
>>1 1/4 cup pickling salt
>>3/4 cup brown sugar
>>3 tbsp. garlic powder
>>1 tbsp chili powder
>>1 tbsp ground sage
>>2 tbsp crushed red pepper
>>1 tbsb fresh black pepper
>>4 bay leaves
>>1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
>>1 tbsp Dave's Insanity Sauce
>>2 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage)
>>

>>--
>>Mike Willsey
>>http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>>

>>Is that 2 tbsp each of Italian seasoning or a total of 2 tbsp.

2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning which is comprised of the,
(ingrediants)

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Secret experiments to make females obsolete gone awry!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../intersex_fish

Piedmont

Brick wrote:

snip
> I don't like to speculate, but IIRC, marinating is supposed to break down
> tough cuts of meat. Depending on what you use for brine, it will have
> varying effects on tenderness. For instance a straight salt brine would
> do little to break down the texture of the meat, wheras lots of citrus
> could practically dissolve it given enough time.

Brick,
Yes, correct, marinades are to tenderize, hence high acid content or
what not to attack meat.

"TFM® \(Kitchen Computer\)" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Eddie > wrote:
> >> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read
> >> recommended time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> >> Just curious if longer is better.
> >> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> >> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> >> Eddie
> >> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

> > What I've got. He may have modified it since.
> >
> > TFM's Brine
> > 1 gal water
> > 5/8 cups pickling salt.
> > 1 1/2 tbs light brown sugar
> > 1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
> > 1/2 tbs chili powder
> > 1/2 tbs ground sage
> > 1 tbs crushed red pepper
> > 1/2 tbs fresh black pepper
> > 2 whole bay leaves
> > 1/2 tbs old bay seasoning
> > 1 tbs italian seasoning
> >
> > Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, turn
> > heat down to a simmer. Simmer and stir frequently until all the
> > ingredients are dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature before
> > immersing the meat. Use for 2 chickens.

> Somebody modified my original in that version. I never heated the brine,
> I just used a stick blender to get everything into solution.

Thanks for the clarification, TFF®.

--
Nick. Listening to Anna Netrebko, drinking an Aberlour a'bunadh rocks and
dreaming of the Huygens Probe drifting down to Titan. Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

"TFM® \(Kitchen Computer\)" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Eddie > wrote:
> >> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read
> >> recommended time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> >> Just curious if longer is better.
> >> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> >> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> >> Eddie
> >> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

> > What I've got. He may have modified it since.
> >
> > TFM's Brine
> > 1 gal water
> > 5/8 cups pickling salt.
> > 1 1/2 tbs light brown sugar
> > 1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
> > 1/2 tbs chili powder
> > 1/2 tbs ground sage
> > 1 tbs crushed red pepper
> > 1/2 tbs fresh black pepper
> > 2 whole bay leaves
> > 1/2 tbs old bay seasoning
> > 1 tbs italian seasoning
> >
> > Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, turn
> > heat down to a simmer. Simmer and stir frequently until all the
> > ingredients are dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature before
> > immersing the meat. Use for 2 chickens.

> Somebody modified my original in that version. I never heated the brine,
> I just used a stick blender to get everything into solution.

Thanks for the clarification, TFF®.

--
Nick. Listening to Anna Netrebko, drinking an Aberlour a'bunadh rocks and
dreaming of the Huygens Probe drifting down to Titan. Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Vitaille.com

Eddie wrote:
> If I brine for 36 to 48 hours am I doing any harm? I read recommended
> time to brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hr.
> Just curious if longer is better.
> Also, did Hound's brine for TG day. Thinking of doing TFM brine for
> Xmas. Couldn't find it using google. Anyone have it?
> Eddie
> getting ready, chomping at the mouth, two in the K soon

Brining Tip #1
Because water is a heat conductor you will typically find that a brined
item will cook faster than an non-brined item
Brining Tip #2:
If you want your poultry to have a golden and crispy skin it needs to
sit in the refrigerator for several hours after you remove it from the
brine so that the meat can absorb the moisture from the skin. Whole
poultry is the exception however. To get a crispy, brown skin whole
birds should be removed from the brine, wrapped in foil or plastic and
put in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 12 hours.

Brining Tip #3:

The saltier the brine, the shorter time is required. And the brine will
penetrate a chicken breast or pork chop much faster than a large thick
muscle like a whole pork loin or turkey.
Brining Tip #4:

Water is optional. Any liquid will do for brining; just keep in mind my
discussion about being too acid. You can substitute some or all of the
water with whatever you heart desires. Wine, beer, fruit juices
(especially good is apple), or vinegars all make a good liquid base for
your brine. Just remember our discussion about making the brine to
acidic. If you add more acid to your mixture, I would decrease the
brining time.

Brining Tip #5:
Any herb, spice, sweetener, fruit, vegetable will work; let your
imaginations run wild. Think of a brine as a soup, there can be a lot of
complexity in soup or just simple ones.
Brining Tip #6:
You need enough brine to completely submerge the meat without any part
being out of the liquid. Some items might need to be weighted down to
stay under.
Brining Tip #7:
How much liquid will you need? Take the meat you plan to brine and place
it in the container. Cover with liquid. Now you know! Measure the amount
and you’ll know how much brine to make.

Brining Tip #8:
Almost any container will work as long as it’s non-reactive to salt.
Brining Tip #9:
You don't want the brine cooking the meat, always add your meat to a
cold brine, not a hot one.
Brining Tip #10:
You don’t need to boil the entire gallon of liquid to create your brine.
Start with a quart, add your salts and sugars and create a super
saturated solution. After boiling, mix your remaining liquid,
thoroughly; this way you don’t have to use a really big pot to boil
with. If you need to cool this super solution down quickly, mix with ice
water.
Brining Tip #11:
Lighter more tender meats needs less brining time
Brining Tip #12:
Denser meats like pork, need longer times.
Brining Tip #13:
Remember that the longer you brine the stronger the flavor will be.
Brining Tip #14:
You do not need to rinse unless you were using a high salt concentration
in the brine.
Brining Tip #15:
Want to preserve the color of the meat. Add 1 Tablespoon of Cure
(Saltpeter, Tenderquick, Prague Powder) per gallon of liquid. This will
help Another trick used by chefs is to add 1 tablespoon of saltpeter per
gallon of liquid. If the color is important to you, consider the cure.