Pete Romfh

Default Smoked ring bologna & pork sausage

My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague so
I'm looking for extra help.

I know there's Mace, salt, and cure in the bologna but it's talking 1oz of
mace in a 100 lb batch of meat. That didn't seem proportional.
The directions for "Smoked sausage" are even more vague, calling for pork,
cold water, cure, and spices. He preferred things simple so the spices might
just be salt & pepper but I'd sure like some clearer ideas.

I'm planning on making a few small batches of each type to clarify and take
pictures. The "smokehouse" will have to be our WSM so I'll be scaling the
recipes down by a factor of 20.

I'd love to hear your ideas and guidance on this.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

"Pete Romfh" > wrote:
> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
> smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
> the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
> description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
> process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague
> so I'm looking for extra help.

Hi Pete,

I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and
Smoked Ring Bologna (p. 205), among many others.

For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder # 1, 6
Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground
ginger, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy protein
concentrate.

For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder #
1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note:
mace], 1 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-fat
dry milk or soy protein concentrate.

Hope this helps.

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote:
> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
> smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
> the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
> description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
> process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague
> so I'm looking for extra help.

Hi Pete,

I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and
Smoked Ring Bologna (p. 205), among many others.

For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder # 1, 6
Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground
ginger, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy protein
concentrate.

For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder #
1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note:
mace], 1 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-fat
dry milk or soy protein concentrate.

Hope this helps.

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Harry Demidavicius

On 10 Dec 2004 21:57:06 GMT, wrote:

>"Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
>> smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
>> the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
>> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
>> description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
>> process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
>> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague
>> so I'm looking for extra help.

>Hi Pete,
>
>I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
>Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and
>Smoked Ring Bologna (p. 205), among many others.
>
>For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder # 1, 6
>Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground
>ginger, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy protein
>concentrate.
>
>For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level tsp. Prague Powder #
>1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs. paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note:
>mace], 1 tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-fat
>dry milk or soy protein concentrate.
>
>Hope this helps.

The only thing that has been recommended to me by my butcher
especially when making a smoked sausage is to cut the salt in half.

Harry
Pete Romfh

> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer).
>> Her dad had a smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a
>> pork sausage that were some of the best I've ever eaten.
>> He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red bologna.
>> I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten
>> his description of the process and a hand written recipe
>> that describes the process and basic ingredients. But it
>> mentions adding "spices" without describing type or
>> quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague so
>> I'm looking for extra help.

> Hi Pete,
>
> I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage
> Recipes and Meat Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked
> Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and Smoked Ring Bologna
> (p. 205), among many others.
>
> For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp.
> Prague Powder # 1, 6 Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white
> pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 Tbs.
> ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy
> protein concentrate.
>
> For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level tsp.
> Prague Powder # 1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2 Tbs.
> paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 tsp.
> allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-
> fat dry milk or soy protein concentrate.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not
> forgotten. Thanks.

This is a good start. I'll post results when I try them.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2004 21:57:06 GMT,
> wrote:
>
>> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>>> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer).
>>> Her dad had a smokehouse on the farm and made rings of
>>> a pork sausage that were some of the best I've ever
>>> eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
>>> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and
>>> have gotten his description of the process and a hand
>>> written recipe that describes the process and basic
>>> ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
>>> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is
>>> just a bit vague so I'm looking for extra help.

>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> I haven't made these myself, but in 'Great Sausage
>> Recipes and Meat Curing', Rytek Kutas describes Smoked
>> Pork Breakfast Sausage (p. 210) and Smoked Ring Bologna
>> (p. 205), among many others.
>>
>> For 10 lbs of Sausage, his spices a 2 level tsp.
>> Prague Powder # 1, 6 Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. ground white
>> pepper, 2 Tbs. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 Tbs.
>> ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 cup soy
>> protein concentrate.
>>
>> For 10 lbs. of Ring Bologna, his spices a 2 level
>> tsp. Prague Powder # 1, 1 Tbs. ground white pepper, 2
>> Tbs. paprika, 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg [note: mace], 1 tsp.
>> allspice, 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 Tbs. salt, 2 cups non-
>> fat dry milk or soy protein concentrate.
>>
>> Hope this helps.

> The only thing that has been recommended to me by my
> butcher especially when making a smoked sausage is to cut
> the salt in half.
>
> Harry

I'll give it a shot.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Louis Cohen

Those are cold-smoked, aren't they? Will you use a hotplate for heat?

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> My wife's family is from Central Wisconsin (Bloomer). Her dad had a
> smokehouse on the farm and made rings of a pork sausage that were some of
> the best I've ever eaten. He also made (and smoked) rings of a dark red
> bologna. I've been trying to capture the recipe and have gotten his
> description of the process and a hand written recipe that describes the
> process and basic ingredients. But it mentions adding "spices" without
> describing type or quantity. At 90 Grandpa's memory is just a bit vague so
> I'm looking for extra help.
>
> I know there's Mace, salt, and cure in the bologna but it's talking 1oz of
> mace in a 100 lb batch of meat. That didn't seem proportional.
> The directions for "Smoked sausage" are even more vague, calling for pork,
> cold water, cure, and spices. He preferred things simple so the spices
> might
> just be salt & pepper but I'd sure like some clearer ideas.
>
> I'm planning on making a few small batches of each type to clarify and
> take
> pictures. The "smokehouse" will have to be our WSM so I'll be scaling the
> recipes down by a factor of 20.
>
> I'd love to hear your ideas and guidance on this.
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Louis Cohen wrote:
> Those are cold-smoked, aren't they? Will you use a
> hotplate for heat?

I'm thinking to use a small fire i.e. 1/2 a chimney. It may take careful
monitoring in the "micro" environment of the WSM. Shooting for a smoke temp
of 170 - 180 initially with a rise to 250 at the end to get the internal
meat temp up to 155. I read that method in some of my reasearch.

I used a hotplate with a cast iron pan and wood chips to make jerky quite a
few years ago. Converted an old refrigerator into a smokehouse. It worked
pretty well except for the call to the fire department by a neighbor about
"a refrigerator on fire next door". Had to give the guy a pound of jerky to
"thank him for watching out for me". =

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Louis Cohen wrote:
> Those are cold-smoked, aren't they? Will you use a
> hotplate for heat?

I'm thinking to use a small fire i.e. 1/2 a chimney. It may take careful
monitoring in the "micro" environment of the WSM. Shooting for a smoke temp
of 170 - 180 initially with a rise to 250 at the end to get the internal
meat temp up to 155. I read that method in some of my reasearch.

I used a hotplate with a cast iron pan and wood chips to make jerky quite a
few years ago. Converted an old refrigerator into a smokehouse. It worked
pretty well except for the call to the fire department by a neighbor about
"a refrigerator on fire next door". Had to give the guy a pound of jerky to
"thank him for watching out for me". =

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:43:39 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:

<snip 48 lines of quoted text>

>I'll give it a shot.

You know, Pete, it really isn't necessary to quote 48 lines of text in
a 1-line followup.
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:43:39 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:

<snip 48 lines of quoted text>

>I'll give it a shot.

You know, Pete, it really isn't necessary to quote 48 lines of text in
a 1-line followup.
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
BOB

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:43:39 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> <snip 48 lines of quoted text>
>>
>> I'll give it a shot.

> You know, Pete, it really isn't necessary to quote 48 lines of text in
> a 1-line followup.
>
> Kevin S. Wilson

But Kevvie,
Please explain why this is more of a problem than all of your posts that
are posted in AFB *AND* in your favorite group (that has nothing to do
with BARBECUE).
Oh, it's only important to *YOU*? That's the difference?

Thanks for playing, BOB

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:43:39 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> <snip 48 lines of quoted text>
>>
>> I'll give it a shot.

> You know, Pete, it really isn't necessary to quote 48 lines of text in
> a 1-line followup.
>
> Kevin S. Wilson

But Kevvie,
Please explain why this is more of a problem than all of your posts that
are posted in AFB *AND* in your favorite group (that has nothing to do
with BARBECUE).
Oh, it's only important to *YOU*? That's the difference?

Thanks for playing, BOB

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:16:21 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:43:39 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>> <snip 48 lines of quoted text>
>>>
>>> I'll give it a shot.

>> You know, Pete, it really isn't necessary to quote 48 lines of text in
>> a 1-line followup.
>>

>But Kevvie,

You don't really think that's clever or original, do you? I hope not.
That would just be sad.

>Please explain why this is more of a problem than all of your posts that
>are posted in AFB *AND* in your favorite group (that has nothing to do
>with BARBECUE).

Just as soon as you explain to me how you happen to know what my
favorite groups is, Kreskin. While you're at it, please explain why
you continue to read a thread that never had anything to do with BBQ.
What exactly are you expecting to find?

You know, it's said that a defining characteristic of insanity is
doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

>Oh, it's only important to *YOU*? That's the difference?

You're not familiar with the logical fallacy of false assumptions, are
you? Before you can talk about any difference, you first have to
establish that the x-posted thread is a problem.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Duwop

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> Oh, it's only important to *YOU*? That's the difference?

Now you got it, my friend! I chuckled, did you chuckle?

Duwop

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> Oh, it's only important to *YOU*? That's the difference?

Now you got it, my friend! I chuckled, did you chuckle?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:58:32 -0600, Nick > wrote:

>I'll second it.
>Your continued replies and those of calitosis to the crossposted
>thread are not appreciated.

So, like Boob, you're going to duck the obvious question. I'll ask it
again:

Why are you reading a thread that never had anything to do with BBQ? I
honestly would like to know what you bozos expect to find there, and
why you keep obsessively looking for it.

Bonus Question: Why aren't you talking to CAL if you're experiencing
serious emotianal trauma over the x-posted thread? You might ask him,
for instance, why he crossposted a message into AFB that had nothing
to do with BBQ.

>GFY

Do you always shout out the punchline before tellling the joke?

>http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Hey, that's original. I'll bet there's at least two newbie lurkers who
haven't seen that site before.

I heard about this one site that has dancing hamsters on it. It's
really LOL.

Do you have a URL to that site in your Favorites Bookmark?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:58:32 -0600, Nick > wrote:

>I'll second it.
>Your continued replies and those of calitosis to the crossposted
>thread are not appreciated.

So, like Boob, you're going to duck the obvious question. I'll ask it
again:

Why are you reading a thread that never had anything to do with BBQ? I
honestly would like to know what you bozos expect to find there, and
why you keep obsessively looking for it.

Bonus Question: Why aren't you talking to CAL if you're experiencing
serious emotianal trauma over the x-posted thread? You might ask him,
for instance, why he crossposted a message into AFB that had nothing
to do with BBQ.

>GFY

Do you always shout out the punchline before tellling the joke?

>http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Hey, that's original. I'll bet there's at least two newbie lurkers who
haven't seen that site before.

I heard about this one site that has dancing hamsters on it. It's
really LOL.

Do you have a URL to that site in your Favorites Bookmark?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
BOB

Duwop wrote:

> Now you got it, my friend! I chuckled, did you chuckle?

The whole time I was typing it.
Thanks for another chuckle.

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson

On 15 Dec 2004 03:53:23 GMT, wrote:

>It took his bringing the a.r.k'ers over here to finally decide me.

Try to keep up. I've repeatedly posted the link to CAL's crossposting
of a thread out of ARK into AFB, a thread that had nothing to do with
BBQ. Here is the link again, with the full post appended below.

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/7c8733e6fc361c22?dmode=source>

So why don't you ask CAL why he "brought the a.r.k'ers over here"? I
figure you don't do so because that would mean admitting that you are
wrong, wrong, wrongitty wrong about who "brought the a.r.k'ers over
here."

Here's the full post, showing CAL crossposting a thread that
originated in ARK and that had nothing to do with BBQ.

http://www.rr.com

.. .

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:37:37 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Duwop wrote:
>>
>> Now you got it, my friend! I chuckled, did you chuckle?
>>

>The whole time I was typing it.
>Thanks for another chuckle.

Nothing surprising here. That's what chuckleheads do.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:29:19 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>I have now also decided to join you in plonking Kevin,

<shrug>

>but I don't really care for the rancour that now inevitably seems to involve his
>posts.

As I've said before, people get back what they serve up. Google the
thread and watch the "rancour" emerge after I politely ask the OP to
trim quoted text from his follow-ups.

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b50217913ed9c67e?dmode=source>

That would be BOB hijacking the thread to engage in humping my leg,
followed closely by the two Nicks doing the same. Of course, Duwop has
to chime in because . . . well, I guess because he can't help himself.

I suggest that you look to the source of the "rancour" while
considering the concept of cause-and-effect. People want to talk
about BBQ? Great, I'm all for that. People want to follow me around to
engage in personal attacks and snarkiness? I'll amuse myself by
mocking and taunting them, since that seems to be what they want.
Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone out of their way to turn the
conversation from BBQ to personal attacks and snarkiness.

Just ONCE I would like to see someone here say, "Gee, BOB, Nick(s),
Duwop, et al., we were talking about BBQ. Why are you hijacking the
thread to express your dislike for Kevin?"

But that would require seeing things in context, such as noting that
the "rancour" in this particular thread began with BOB's hijacking of
it to engage in a personal attack and snarkiness.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:29:19 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>I have now also decided to join you in plonking Kevin,

<shrug>

>but I don't really care for the rancour that now inevitably seems to involve his
>posts.

As I've said before, people get back what they serve up. Google the
thread and watch the "rancour" emerge after I politely ask the OP to
trim quoted text from his follow-ups.

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b50217913ed9c67e?dmode=source>

That would be BOB hijacking the thread to engage in humping my leg,
followed closely by the two Nicks doing the same. Of course, Duwop has
to chime in because . . . well, I guess because he can't help himself.

I suggest that you look to the source of the "rancour" while
considering the concept of cause-and-effect. People want to talk
about BBQ? Great, I'm all for that. People want to follow me around to
engage in personal attacks and snarkiness? I'll amuse myself by
mocking and taunting them, since that seems to be what they want.
Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone out of their way to turn the
conversation from BBQ to personal attacks and snarkiness.

Just ONCE I would like to see someone here say, "Gee, BOB, Nick(s),
Duwop, et al., we were talking about BBQ. Why are you hijacking the
thread to express your dislike for Kevin?"

But that would require seeing things in context, such as noting that
the "rancour" in this particular thread began with BOB's hijacking of
it to engage in a personal attack and snarkiness.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Piedmont

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
snip
> I have now also decided to join you in plonking Kevin, but I don't
> really care for the rancour that now inevitably seems to involve his
> posts.
>
> Harry

I agree, seems like I remember a time when all flamers, those who
started it and those that jumped on it were throttled! There are no
right or wrong, good or bad sides in a flame war, just flammers! It
seems half my time reading AFB is in setting rules to block the
seemingly endless flame threads. Don't care to hear either side!

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Piedmont

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
snip
> I have now also decided to join you in plonking Kevin, but I don't
> really care for the rancour that now inevitably seems to involve his
> posts.
>
> Harry

I agree, seems like I remember a time when all flamers, those who
started it and those that jumped on it were throttled! There are no
right or wrong, good or bad sides in a flame war, just flammers! It
seems half my time reading AFB is in setting rules to block the
seemingly endless flame threads. Don't care to hear either side!

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
Default User

Piedmont wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> snip
> > I have now also decided to join you in plonking Kevin, but I don't
> > really care for the rancour that now inevitably seems to involve

his
> > posts.

> I agree, seems like I remember a time when all flamers, those who
> started it and those that jumped on it were throttled! There are no
> right or wrong, good or bad sides in a flame war, just flammers! It
> seems half my time reading AFB is in setting rules to block the
> seemingly endless flame threads. Don't care to hear either side!

Unfortunately I have been reduced to reading afb through google, so
niceties like filters and killfiles are no longer at my disposal (I
know, I know, world's tiniest violin). That means that idiots like Cal
and Kent have crept back into my view, plus it's harder to ignore
thread branches that have become stupid.

Kevin frustrates me, he knows perfectly well that it's a bad idea to
engage the bozos in a flame war, and he does have useful contributions
on occasion, when not flaming. There was major concerted effort some
time back to discourage people from responding to flame bait. Why he's
doing it now, to the detriment of the group, I couldn't say. Perhaps
because Cal is a resident loony, instead of an outside agitator, but
does that really matter?

Kevin should do what most others have done, killfile Cal, or ignore
him. Otherwise, what you see happening will continue, those that don't
want the flamewars and crossposting will killfile him.

Brian

Kevin S. Wilson

On 15 Dec 2004 14:50:13 -0800, "Default User"
> wrote:
>
>Unfortunately I have been reduced to reading afb through google, so
>niceties like filters and killfiles are no longer at my disposal (I
>know, I know, world's tiniest violin). That means that idiots like Cal
>and Kent have crept back into my view, plus it's harder to ignore
>thread branches that have become stupid.
>
>Kevin frustrates me, he knows perfectly well that it's a bad idea to
>engage the bozos in a flame war, and he does have useful contributions
>on occasion, when not flaming. There was major concerted effort some
>time back to discourage people from responding to flame bait. Why he's
>doing it now, to the detriment of the group, I couldn't say.

Please describe this detriment of the group of which you speak.

> Perhaps
>because Cal is a resident loony, instead of an outside agitator, but
>does that really matter?
>
>Kevin should do what most others have done, killfile Cal, or ignore
>him. Otherwise, what you see happening will continue, those that don't
>want the flamewars and crossposting will killfile him.

From my point of view, there is exactly ONE crossposted thread
currently in play in AFB, and it also the only one I would say comes
even close to constituting a "flame war," whatever that might be. It's
titled "This Sucks! (It Does Now). It was x-posted from ARK into AFB
by CAL, and it never had anything to do with BBQ, and the chances that
it ever will approach zero.

So why would you read the thread if you don't wish to read such
things? Using Google is no excuse; it's easily ignored in Google.

So ignore it. Problem solved (though I fail to see what problem it
constitutes).

BTW, I've asked a half-dozen people why they are reading a thread that
has nothing to to with BBQ and probably never will. So far, not a
single one has answered the question. Funny that.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Brian D.

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> BTW, I've asked a half-dozen people why they are reading a thread that
> has nothing to to with BBQ and probably never will. So far, not a
> single one has answered the question. Funny that.

It's kinda like driving by a car wreck, does anyone ever *not* look??
Brian

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2004 14:50:13 -0800, "Default User"
> > wrote:

> >Kevin frustrates me, he knows perfectly well that it's a bad idea to
> >engage the bozos in a flame war, and he does have useful

contributions
> >on occasion, when not flaming. There was major concerted effort some
> >time back to discourage people from responding to flame bait. Why

he's
> >doing it now, to the detriment of the group, I couldn't say.

> Please describe this detriment of the group of which you speak.

Do I really have to explain to you how flamewars are bad for
newsgroups?

> From my point of view, there is exactly ONE crossposted thread
> currently in play in AFB, and it also the only one I would say comes
> even close to constituting a "flame war," whatever that might be.

Oh come on now, as long as you've been on usenet you're going to
pretend you don't know what a flame war is?

> It's
> titled "This Sucks! (It Does Now). It was x-posted from ARK into AFB
> by CAL, and it never had anything to do with BBQ, and the chances

that
> it ever will approach zero.

And it's not the only time you've engaged Cal and Kent and the like.

> So why would you read the thread if you don't wish to read such
> things? Using Google is no excuse; it's easily ignored in Google.

I don't. But notice that we aren't in that thread, are we?

It's up to you. People have already started plonking you. Were I able
to access afb with my normal news setup (alt groups are gone now, I
have to use grouple) I'd have done as well. What's more important to
you, arguing with the bozos or participating in the group. You can't
win with Cal, you can't change him, the arguments produce nothing of
substance.

This is my last word to you on the subject. You can of course reply,
but I won't be carrying it further.

Brian

Beth Cole

Default User wrote:
> Were I able
> to access afb with my normal news setup (alt groups are gone now, I
> have to use grouple) I'd have done as well.

news.individual.net (Formerly news.cis.dfn.de)

It's a nice, free news server that allows you to read news with your
preferred news reader. They don't carry binary news groups, and they
require registration.

I don't know why anyone would ever use google for reading current postings.

Beth
--
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or
cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men
Beth Cole

> Were I able
> to access afb with my normal news setup (alt groups are gone now, I
> have to use grouple) I'd have done as well.

news.individual.net (Formerly news.cis.dfn.de)

It's a nice, free news server that allows you to read news with your
preferred news reader. They don't carry binary news groups, and they
require registration.

I don't know why anyone would ever use google for reading current postings.

Beth
--
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or
cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men
who can dream of things that never were. --John F. Kennedy
our home page: http://www.IsleOfSky.net
Kevin S. Wilson

On 16 Dec 2004 11:22:46 -0800, "Default User"
> wrote:

>This is my last word to you on the subject. You can of course reply,
>but I won't be carrying it further.

Why didn't you stick your fingers in your ears and start shouting
LA-LA--LA-LA from the start? I wouldn't have bothered reading your
post if I had known you were only asking questions the answers to
which you don't wish to hear.

Come back when you're more capable of carrying on a discussion.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On 16 Dec 2004 11:22:46 -0800, "Default User"
> wrote:

>This is my last word to you on the subject. You can of course reply,
>but I won't be carrying it further.

Why didn't you stick your fingers in your ears and start shouting
LA-LA--LA-LA from the start? I wouldn't have bothered reading your
post if I had known you were only asking questions the answers to
which you don't wish to hear.

Come back when you're more capable of carrying on a discussion.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

4-Lbs. Smoked Pork Sausage (Hot) vinebrother Barbecue 0 04-12-2011 06:14 PM
4-Lbs. Smoked Pork Jalapeno' & Cheese Sausage vinebrother Barbecue 0 04-12-2011 06:10 PM
Need Recipe Hot Pickled Bologna or Sausage Piedmont General Cooking 2 04-03-2006 02:30 PM
smoked bologna fishman99 Barbecue 2 15-06-2005 04:58 PM
Smoked sausage Brian and Maryann Barbecue 5 21-12-2004 02:09 PM