Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
bbq bbq is offline

Default Big Jim Memorial Gathering

On 1/13/2015 1:47 PM, hrbricker wrote:
> I believe that no one is truly gone until no more stories are told. In Big
> Jim's
> case, that is going to be a long time indeed. BJ threw an open invitation
> BBQ
> party every New Years for several decades. And that wasn't all. He usually
> hosted a gathering at least once every summer. I only knew him since about
> 2003, but I managed to attend a number of his soirees myself. I even
> documented
> a few via digital movies. I made a bunch new friends through those meetings
> that I would have in no ways met any other way. Dave Bugg from Washington
> State, Jim and Moira Stewart from Ft Myers, FL, Bob and Ginger from Milan,
> GA
> and a host of others.
>
> Davey Whitten, son of Big Jim, is hosting a Memorial Gathering on the
> 24th of January, 2015, location yet to be defined. But, it will likely be in
> the vicinity of Micanopy, FL Anybody and everybody that remembers
> Big JIm Whitten is encouraged to attend. Davey is pretty busy these
> days, so for lack of any better contact point feel free to email me at
> my regular "not so private" address or .
> between us, we'll see that Davey gets the information he needs.
>
> In the meantime, I'm hoisting a cool one in BJ's direction.
>
> Brick

Thank You for letting us know. A little far for me to travel, but I
will be sure to do something in his honor on that day.

Rick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 19-Jan-2015, bbq > wrote:

> > Davey Whitten, son of Big Jim, is hosting a Memorial Gathering on the
> > 24th of January, 2015, location yet to be defined. But, it will likely
> > be in
> > the vicinity of Micanopy, FL Anybody and everybody that remembers
> > Big JIm Whitten is encouraged to attend. Davey is pretty busy these
> > days, so for lack of any better contact point feel free to email me at
> > my regular "not so private" address or .
> > between us, we'll see that Davey gets the information he needs.
> >
> > In the meantime, I'm hoisting a cool one in BJ's direction.
> >
> > Brick
> >

> Thank You for letting us know. A little far for me to travel, but I
> will be sure to do something in his honor on that day.
>
> Rick

For those who may be interested, BobInGa and the lovely Ginger are
tentatively planning a BBQ gathering at their place in Milan, GA on
the 24th of April. I'll try to update information as events unfold.

Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
bbq bbq is offline

Default Bean-less chili volume

I signed up to be in a Chili Cook-Off. This is not any kind of Chili
Society sanctioned contest. Just an annual local contest. It is
sponsored by Schells, Grain Belt and City Pages (a local freebie weekly
newspaper). So there is some respectable prize money involved. $1000
for 1st place, $300 for 2nd place and $200 for 3rd place.

Basic rules a
No beans
No pasta
No pre-cooked meat
All fresh ingredients need to be prepared on-site
Canned, jarred or bottled ingredients are acceptable
Sounds like I can pre-mix a Chlil seasoning
Have to make a minimum of 5 Gallons of Chili
No power supplied, so it looks like I will need a turkey fryer or
something similar to cook this volume.

Five gallons is a lot of chili to cook. Making it a bean-less chili,
makes it more challenging.

How much chili ground chuck roast will I need to make 5 gallons? I
anticipate to use canned crushed tomatoes, fresh chopped
onions/garlic/peppers, plus the spices/herbs.

Other recipes I have seen call for 12-20 lbs of meat for 5 gallons of
bean-less chili. Twenty lbs. of a chili grind chuck roast at $4.99/lb.
will make this contest quite expensive to participate in.

I suppose I could try and do a white chili(using chicken), but this
being a "general public" voting contest, I am not so sure that would
have a chance at the grand prize. :-)

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
bbq bbq is offline

On 1/30/2015 10:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:57:16 -0600, bbq wrote:
>
>> How much chili ground chuck roast will I need to make 5 gallons?

> [Raising hand Horshack style] Ooh! Oooh! I know this one Mr Kotter!
>
> Zero!
>
> Because you need to use 3/4-1" dice (not ground!) chuck or sirloin
> instead. You should be able to get it for $5 or under at a restaurant
> supply or big box store. A whole top sirloin (for example) should
> weigh about 12. There's about 7 pounds of lean, raw meat in a gallon.
>
>> anticipate to use canned crushed tomatoes, fresh chopped
>> onions/garlic/peppers, plus the spices/herbs.

> I suggest you research your recipes carefully and don't try and wing
> it at the last minute. You're gonna spend $100+ on this thing.
>
> A recent article and recipe of sorts for the real deal.
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/dining/texas-chili-makes-a-welcome-guest.html?mabReward=CTM&action=click&pgtype=Homep age&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp &WT.nav=RecEngine&_r=2>
>
> -sw

Thanks. I checked out a few recipes today that called for 2 1/2 lbs or
so of chuck and was reported to be about 6-8 servings. But did not say
if they were 1 cup servings (which seems small to me as a typical
serving size) or a more typical serving size that might be more like 1
1/2 to 2 cups,

I have a cook partner, so we will split the cost and the work in cutting
up the beef into chunks instead of being ground up.

I joined the Kansas City Barbecue Society, so I have permission to shop
and purchase at Restaurant Depot.

Found a turkey fryer with a 29 qt pot and 38,000 BTU burner for $28.00.
Still need to get a tank and propane. Yea, I will have some bucks into
this.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 00:07:05 -0600, bbq > wrote:

> I joined the Kansas City Barbecue Society, so I have permission to shop
> and purchase at Restaurant Depot.

Long story short, I went to the California Barbecue Association and
followed their link to supported charities. I found a local charity
that focuses on supporting exited foster children, so I went to their
web site to see how I could help and found the link to Amazon Smile.

If you're already an Amazon shopper, this is a way for you to "do some
good" while you shop! They have a variety of non-profits to choose
from if you haven't chosen one to support through Amazon already.
http://smile.amazon.com/about Bottom line: if you're shopping at
Amazon anyway, you might as well team up with them and send your
favorite non-profit some monetary support. It will cost you nothing.

I'm hoping this is news to someone who uses Amazon already because it
sounds like a terrific program.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 1/30/2015 9:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I know this one Mr Kotter!
>
> Zero!

STFU, woman stalker:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw