Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Big Daddy's Carolina Sauce

Who's yore Daddy? Why I am of coarse.
Initially, I wasn't going to post this repice, because it has so many ingredients, and I thought that some of youse would get lost. Then I thought, well let's separate the wheat form the chaff. So for those of you who fail, I suggest making barbecue sauce this way: reduce ketchup by half.
For the select few...
(btw, in the comments below, is an opinion on hot spicy slaw. I lost my recipe for hot pickled slaw. I've only made it once, and it was great. The ingredients were heated; oil, vinegar, mustard, bayleaf, celery seed? But other stuff too.
I'd appreciate a good recipe for hot pickled slaw. Mine was kind of yellow in colour due to mustard.)
http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesauc...r/blb00114.htm
{
Big Daddy says, "This is Carolina style barbecue sauce." This means that it is vinegar and mustard based, as opposed to the ketchup and molasses based sauces of the mid and southwest. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors brings out the absolute best in grilled or smoked pork or chicken.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes about 2 1/4 cups
Ingredients:

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Preparation:
Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
}
Comments:
I feed large amounts of people a couple of times year. At one luncheon I make pulled pork and this is my third year of using Big Daddy's Carolina Sauce. I love mustard and vinegar, so this sauce is perfect for me. I warn people that it is spicy and full of vinegar. I have to make it because there are a few people who appreciate North Carolina style pulled pork. Unfortunately, here in Southern California, most people want their pork smothered in a sweet, ketchup based BBQ. I refuse to smother my pulled pork in ketchup!. I provide my BBQ sauces on the side. I serve my pulled pork with a very spicy vinegar based coleslaw. It is the best!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"The Public Library" > wrote in message
[...]

With the mustard it is a "SOUTH" Carolina style sauce.
Looks excatly like my Mustard sauce recipe except for the Liquid Smoke.
In North Carolina there are 2 sauces. Eastern and Western. One is simply
vinegar and red pepper flakes with a little salt and pepper. Some might add
a touch of sugar. The other is pretty much the same except that ketchup is
added.
Here is my over 15 year old recipe. It was adapted from and existing South
Carolina mustard sauce recipe. I used this in my BBQ Joint.
I doubt you my Daddy. You'd have to be over 90 and be a drunk<g>
· BIG JIM' S MUSTARD SAUCE

1 CUP MUSTARD

1/2 CUP SUGAR

1/2 CUP CIDER VINEGAR

1/4 CUP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR

2 TABLESPOONS CHILI POWDER

1 TEASPOON PEPPER

1 TEASPOON WHITE PEPPER

1 TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER

1 TABLESPOON HOT SAUCE

1 TEASPOON DARK SOY SAUCE

2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER

DIRECTIONS

· Mix all of the ingredients except soy sauce and butter, adding the
vinegar last. Simmer for 10 minutes.

· Remove from heat and add butter and soy sauce.