Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Prime Rib

Got this from America's Test Kitchen, have used it, and find that it
makes the best prime rib I have ever had.

I age it for 7 days. Also, I cut the meat off the rib and THEN TIE IT
BACK ONTO THE BONES before I roast it. This way it holds up well and
is easier to slice before serving.

Buy the ribs that are the 10,11, and 12th ribs as they are not a fatty
but still fatty enough.

Why this recipe works:

Most of us cook prime rib only once a year, if that, and don’t want to
risk experimenting with the cooking method—especially when the results
are no better than mediocre. We thought that a special-occasion roast
deserved better and wanted to find the best way to get the juicy,
tender, rosy meat that prime rib should have. The principal question
for roasting prime rib was oven temperature, and our research turned
up a wide range of recommendations. Most delivered meat that was
well-done on the outside but increasingly rare toward the center—not
too bad, but not exactly great. Surprisingly, the roast we cooked at a
temperature of only 250 degrees was rosy from the center all the way
out. Additionally, it retained more juice than a roast cooked at a
higher temperature, and the internal temperature rose less during
resting, so we had more control over the final degree of doneness.
Searing before roasting gave us a crusty brown exterior. For
seasoning, prime rib needs nothing more than salt and pepper. Now that
we’d found a dependable cooking method, we could serve this
once-a-year roast with confidence. (less)

For a roast that's as pink, juicy, and tender at the surface as it is
in the center, sear it first, then roast it long and low.

Serves 6 to 8

Remember, even a day or two of aging in the refrigerator will help.

Ingredients

1 first-cut beef rib roast , 3 ribs (about 7 pounds), set at room
temperature for 3 hours, tied twice between the rib bones (see
illustration below)
Salt and ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat
large roasting pan over two burners set at medium-high heat. Place
roast in hot pan and cook on all sides until nicely browned and about
1/2 cup fat has rendered, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Remove roast from pan. Set wire rack in pan, then set roast on
rack. Generously season with salt and pepper.

3. Place roast in oven and roast until meat registers 130 degrees (for
medium-rare), about 3 1/2 hours (or about 30 minutes per pound). Let
stand 20 minutes (a bit longer is fine) before serving.

4. Transfer to cutting board and carve in accordance with the
instructions below.

Technique
Tying and Carving the Prime Rib

1. To carve, remove the twine and set the roast on a cutting board,
rib bones perpendicular to the board. Using a carving fork to hold the
roast in place, cut along the rib bones to sever the meat from the
bones.

2. Set the roast cut side down; carve the meat across the grain into
thick slices.

We didn't tie the first few prime ribs that we roasted. We found out
pretty quickly, though, that unless the roast was tied, the outer
layer of meat pulled away from the rib-eye muscle, causing the roast
to look a little unattractive. Separated from the main roast, this
outer flap of meat also tended to overcook. To solve this problem
easily, tie the roast at both ends running parallel to the bone.

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Gene
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Tying and Carving the Prime Rib
>
> 1. To carve, remove the twine and set the roast on a cutting board,
> rib bones perpendicular to the board. Using a carving fork to hold the
> roast in place, cut along the rib bones to sever the meat from the
> bones.
>

> 2. Set the roast cut side down; carve the meat across the grain into
> thick slices.
>

> We didn't tie the first few prime ribs that we roasted. We found out
> pretty quickly, though, that unless the roast was tied, the outer
> layer of meat pulled away from the rib-eye muscle, causing the roast
> to look a little unattractive. Separated from the main roast, this
> outer flap of meat also tended to overcook. To solve this problem
> easily, tie the roast at both ends running parallel to the bone.
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.

You cooked it in the oven?? You must have moved your oven outside onto the
patio. It's somewhat of interest that your post immediately follows the "afb
FAQ" post.

I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the cut
ends of a prime rib. I'm going to try it next time. I usually paint the cut
ends with rendered bacon fat. I'll brown the cut ends in bacon fat, and save
the non fatty part of the pan residue for the Yorkshire pudding. I would
leave the other surfaces alone to render the fat and drippings that are the
principal ingredients of the Yorkshire pudding you make with the roast. I'm
going to, as always, roast the standing rib indirectly on the Weber at 250F,
though only to 120-125F. The temp will rise five degrees during the resting
period while you're making the "Yorkie".

I think your point about the "butt end" cut is a very good one. The last
roast we had, however, was a bit on the dry side. I always look carefully at
the piece of meat I'm going to buy. It needs to have enough fat.

I'd to try the above on The WSM smoker. However. with the water pan full,
the temp. doesn't quite reach 250F.

Kent

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the cut
> ends of a prime rib.

ever had the guts to trim your posts?

joe
dark as shit, alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 19, 6:59*pm, Gene > wrote:
> [...]
>
> TechniqueTyingand Carving the Prime Rib
>
> 1. To carve, remove the twineand set the roast onacutting board,rib bones perpendicular to the board. Usingacarving fork to hold theroastin place, cutalong the rib bones to sever the meat from the
> bones.
>
> 2. Set the roast cut side down; carve the meatacross the grainintothick slices.
>
> We didn't tie the first few prime ribs that we roasted. We found outpretty quickly, though, that unless the roast was tied, the outerlayer of meat pulledaway from the rib-eye muscle, causing the roastto lookalittle unattractive. Separated from the main roast, thisouter flap of meatalso tended to overcook. To solve this problemeasily, tie the roastat both ends running parallel to the bone.
>
> Itisasolemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meatisinferior to pork.- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927Mark Twain

This is from my restaurant days. Using a convection oven.
Put prime rib in a convection oven that has been preheated to 500F.
Leave at that temp for 1/2 hour.
Turn down heat to 200F.
Roast until desired doneness is reached. If memory serves correct our
roasts were not in that long. Perhaps 2 to 3 hours? It's been well
over three decades. 1977. I was a big ole' night chef working the
Maître d'Hôtel Butter station in a big ole' steak house. My assistant
would pass the finished steak to me, and I'd put a lil' ole' scoop of
Maître d'Hôtel Butter on top. Needless to say, the pace was fast and
furious.
Also, if you're not using a convection oven, you will need more
time.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:28:55 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:59:43 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> Buy the ribs that are the 10,11, and 12th ribs as they are not a fatty
>> but still fatty enough.

>Good. Save the large ends, ribs 6-8, for me. I love those muscles
>that surrounds the "eye" (longissimus dorsi?) of the roast, which is
>smaller in the large end. The small end of the rib roast (10-12) is
>practically all eye. Nyeh.
>
>This is why I like the (true) chuck eye steaks as well.
>
>-sw

10-12 is lots a fat too. But that's OK if that is what you want.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>You cooked it in the oven?? You must have moved your oven outside onto the
>patio. It's somewhat of interest that your post immediately follows the "afb
>FAQ" post.

WTF are you talking about on both points?

>I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the cut
>ends of a prime rib.

Then learn how to cook.

I'm going to try it next time. I usually paint the cut
>ends with rendered bacon fat. I'll brown the cut ends in bacon fat, and save
>the non fatty part of the pan residue for the Yorkshire pudding. I would
>leave the other surfaces alone to render the fat and drippings that are the
>principal ingredients of the Yorkshire pudding you make with the roast. I'm
>going to, as always, roast the standing rib indirectly on the Weber at 250F,
>though only to 120-125F. The temp will rise five degrees during the resting
>period while you're making the "Yorkie".

Nobody asked about Yorkshire pudding.

>I think your point about the "butt end" cut is a very good one. The last
>roast we had, however, was a bit on the dry side. I always look carefully at
>the piece of meat I'm going to buy. It needs to have enough fat.
>
>I'd to try the above on The WSM smoker. However. with the water pan full,
>the temp. doesn't quite reach 250F.

Try sand

>Kent
>

>Kent

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:27:48 -0900, "just joe" >
wrote:

>> I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the cut
>> ends of a prime rib.

>ever had the guts to trim your posts?
>
>joe
>dark as shit, alaska

They are in the garage in the brining turkey.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>This is from my restaurant days. Using a convection oven.
>Put prime rib in a convection oven that has been preheated to 500F.
>Leave at that temp for 1/2 hour.
>Turn down heat to 200F.
>Roast until desired doneness is reached. If memory serves correct our
>roasts were not in that long. Perhaps 2 to 3 hours? It's been well
>over three decades. 1977. I was a big ole' night chef working the
>Maître d'Hôtel Butter station in a big ole' steak house. My assistant
>would pass the finished steak to me, and I'd put a lil' ole' scoop of
>Maître d'Hôtel Butter on top. Needless to say, the pace was fast and
>furious.
>Also, if you're not using a convection oven, you will need more
>time.

Yep, that is the TRADITIONAL way to do it. It worked well. I just
prefer the ATK way of doing it. I find it produces a more even and
consistent result. The 500F for 1/2 hour in effect brows the roast.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>I consider the meat composition more important than the fat content.
>
>-sw

Fine. Then eat it.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:26:07 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:28:55 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Good. Save the large ends, ribs 6-8, for me. I love those muscles
>>>that surrounds the "eye" (longissimus dorsi?) of the roast, which is
>>>smaller in the large end. The small end of the rib roast (10-12) is
>>>practically all eye. Nyeh.
>>>
>>>This is why I like the (true) chuck eye steaks as well.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> 10-12 is lots a fat too. But that's OK if that is what you want.

> I consider the meat composition more important than the fat content.

who doesn't?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>I find the instructions overly complicated. Lemme guess - Cooks
>Illustrated./ATK? They're good at making up overly complicated
>solutions to non-problems.
>
>-sw

Oh WTF Steve. I said it was from ATK from the start. I like it. It
works well.

You don't like it? Ignore it.

Why does everything seem to have to be some kind of contest or
argument with you?

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:57:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:00:51 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> snip
>>
>>>I consider the meat composition more important than the fat content.
>>>

>> Fine. Then eat it.

>I don't need your blessing to do so. I'm just expressing my
>preference. No reason to get snotty.
>
>-sw

I'm not getting snotty. I'm just saying to each his/her own.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

he does that to hide the fact he can't follow simple instructions, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
news
> snip
>

>>I find the instructions overly complicated. Lemme guess - Cooks
>>Illustrated./ATK? They're good at making up overly complicated
>>solutions to non-problems.
>>
>>-sw

> Oh WTF Steve. I said it was from ATK from the start. I like it. It
> works well.
>
> You don't like it? Ignore it.
>
> Why does everything seem to have to be some kind of contest or
> argument with you?
>
> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>Oh, so that means only YOU can share YOUR opinion? I suppose we
>should all be bowing down to Kent, too?
>
>I didn't blame the errors in this on you, so don't take it too ****ing
>personally, OK?
>
>Sheesh, dude. Take a pill.
>
>-sw

OK, maybe I over reacted a bit. Can't really blame me after the last
time you craped all over me. If you recall, you had mistaken me for
someone else. It went on for some time.

No harm, no foul.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Your instructions are defective. They say 250F in the introduction,
> then the directions say 200F. 200F is too low and unnecessary. And
> adds about 2 hours onto the cook time at which time the moisture is
> lost and safety becomes an issue.

I am curious if ATK said 200 or 250 degrees.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:32:46 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>he does that to hide the fact he can't follow simple instructions, Lee

I really don't want to start any crap.

This group is about BBQ and grilling right? With some other cooking
tips thrown in along the way.

And having some fun.

Someone asked how to do a prime rib. Now this entire thread is going
to (and is already starting to) go down the shitter.

I gotta say, ANY newsgroup should be about like minded people, and
helping others who come here for assistance. Why does it seem that it
almost always comes down to an argument?

I stopped posting here awhile ago because my newsgroup program got
messed up. I could read but not post. But I really was not in any
hurry to fix it because I got very discouraged.

Why does it always devolve to shit in this group? Where is the REAL
fun in that?

Immaturity I guess.

Or sad, lonely, boring lives? I don't know.

Peace.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

you are of course exactly correct, i am in a foul mood i just did the final
walk through on my house today... there were only minor things to adress but
i started freaking about the cost of refurnishing it... and i liked your
recipe btw, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:32:46 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>he does that to hide the fact he can't follow simple instructions, Lee

> I really don't want to start any crap.
>
> This group is about BBQ and grilling right? With some other cooking
> tips thrown in along the way.
>
> And having some fun.
>
> Someone asked how to do a prime rib. Now this entire thread is going
> to (and is already starting to) go down the shitter.
>
> I gotta say, ANY newsgroup should be about like minded people, and
> helping others who come here for assistance. Why does it seem that it
> almost always comes down to an argument?
>
> I stopped posting here awhile ago because my newsgroup program got
> messed up. I could read but not post. But I really was not in any
> hurry to fix it because I got very discouraged.
>
> Why does it always devolve to shit in this group? Where is the REAL
> fun in that?
>
> Immaturity I guess.
>
> Or sad, lonely, boring lives? I don't know.
>
> Peace.
>

> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:01:15 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>you are of course exactly correct, i am in a foul mood i just did the final
>walk through on my house today... there were only minor things to adress but
>i started freaking about the cost of refurnishing it... and i liked your
>recipe btw, Lee

snip

Purchasing a house is a very trying time. Once you sign you are locked
into what ever you agreed on. Small things can and do become big
things over time. Small steps help. No one says you HAVE to refurnish
all at once. take your time. Don't over extend yourself. It will be
home because you are in it.

ICW the recipe. It's not mine, well, most of it isn't. But it serves
me well

Best of luck!!!!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this is the new house we built when ours burnt over a year ago... i gave up
part of the ins money for contents to not have to barrow more to get the
house done... and we are at least going to make it, i don't beleive in
barrowing money for consumer goods so we will purchase one thing at a time,
but good lord, so many things you have just "run across" and "picked up"
that the mind boggles, i started making a list and ended up dividing it into
the rooms...

and can you guess, the one for the kitchen even minus a basic shop is still
the longest.

Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:01:15 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>you are of course exactly correct, i am in a foul mood i just did the
>>final
>>walk through on my house today... there were only minor things to adress
>>but
>>i started freaking about the cost of refurnishing it... and i liked your
>>recipe btw, Lee

> snip
>
> Purchasing a house is a very trying time. Once you sign you are locked
> into what ever you agreed on. Small things can and do become big
> things over time. Small steps help. No one says you HAVE to refurnish
> all at once. take your time. Don't over extend yourself. It will be
> home because you are in it.
>
> ICW the recipe. It's not mine, well, most of it isn't. But it serves
> me well
>
> Best of luck!!!!
>

> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:49:39 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>> Your instructions are defective. They say 250F in the introduction,
>> then the directions say 200F. 200F is too low and unnecessary. And
>> adds about 2 hours onto the cook time at which time the moisture is
>> lost and safety becomes an issue.
>>

>I am curious if ATK said 200 or 250 degrees.

I watched the vid of it and they said 250. They said 200-220 is best
but that ovens very so to do it best at home 250 is best. Ovens can be
off by 50-60 degrees.

Best bet is to set your oven to 150, use a thermometer to verify, set
it to 250, 450 etc.

Most ovens are never calibrated on installation.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>and can you guess, the one for the kitchen even minus a basic shop is still
>the longest.

If you think the kitchen is expensive try designing one for a
restaurant!

Cost me a small fortune!

LOL!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

way to familar in that arena as well, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>>and can you guess, the one for the kitchen even minus a basic shop is
>>still
>>the longest.

> If you think the kitchen is expensive try designing one for a
> restaurant!
>
> Cost me a small fortune!
>
> LOL!
>
> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>I didn't know if that was you or not, or whether you were the other
>guy I had confused with. But I didn't even think of that until
>afterwards. I don't a persistent grudge long unless somebody keeps
>renewing it :-)
>
>-sw

Yea I agree.

Peace

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Speaking of somebody who keeps "renewing a grudge" Lee is a ****.
>Always sniping at something I say out of the blue, playing her
>top-postiong handicap card.

Snip

I wouldn't know. I don't know Lee very well. Either way, **** is a
very strong word to use. Not that I have a problem with the word it's
self, just that it is often used to really **** off a woman. If you
really want a reaction, call a woman a ****. Lee has never had an
unkind work for me.

>It's not dead yet. I think Kent has already come and gone, so it can
>only get better from now on :-) Prime Rib is one of Kent's "5 Anal
>Passions" (along with dry cured ham, infrared grilling, cold smoking,
>and I forgot #5...;-)
>
>-sw

Oh Kent isn't finished with Prime Rib yet. He is just thinking about
how he can push buttons in his next post. It will be something
intended to make this Prime Rib thing go on and on and on. Think about
it. He has already tried to turn it into a bread pudding thing....

I have not paid attention to Kent's infrared grilling deal. But I
really like my infrared grill...for some things, not all. Great for
some steaks, over rated for all kinds of things. $300 grill I got at a
garage sale for $20. Used once. Guy sold it because he had no idea how
to use it.

#5...how could you remember? There are way to many to keep track of

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sadly i ended up filtering sw after i defended him and he went all kent on
me, he can't offend me for two reasons, first off i rarely see his posts,
and second, he would have to be important enough to make a difference, and
since he doesn't his opinion doesn't either, but back to your earlier point,
you called me out for being snarky, i agreed with you and instead of letting
it go he has to start up old things, now how sad is that... on to other
things...

my new house has an outside plug set up so the el smoker is back on the list
but well down it, i am still getting the one marty pointed out to me, the
one with pucs, i got to see one at, calballas, sp and the slide settings are
so easy that i moved it back and forth, ask dh which were the top and bottom
numbers and took a few stabs by having him say a temp then trying to set it
myself, got like twelve of thirteen...

Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>>
>>Speaking of somebody who keeps "renewing a grudge" Lee is a ****.
>>Always sniping at something I say out of the blue, playing her
>>top-postiong handicap card.

> Snip
>
> I wouldn't know. I don't know Lee very well. Either way, **** is a
> very strong word to use. Not that I have a problem with the word it's
> self, just that it is often used to really **** off a woman. If you
> really want a reaction, call a woman a ****. Lee has never had an
> unkind work for me.
>

>>It's not dead yet. I think Kent has already come and gone, so it can
>>only get better from now on :-) Prime Rib is one of Kent's "5 Anal
>>Passions" (along with dry cured ham, infrared grilling, cold smoking,
>>and I forgot #5...;-)
>>
>>-sw

> Oh Kent isn't finished with Prime Rib yet. He is just thinking about
> how he can push buttons in his next post. It will be something
> intended to make this Prime Rib thing go on and on and on. Think about
> it. He has already tried to turn it into a bread pudding thing....
>
> I have not paid attention to Kent's infrared grilling deal. But I
> really like my infrared grill...for some things, not all. Great for
> some steaks, over rated for all kinds of things. $300 grill I got at a
> garage sale for $20. Used once. Guy sold it because he had no idea how
> to use it.
>
> #5...how could you remember? There are way to many to keep track of
>
> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>my new house has an outside plug set up so the el smoker is back on the list
>but well down it, i am still getting the one marty pointed out to me, the
>one with pucs, i got to see one at, calballas, sp and the slide settings are
>so easy that i moved it back and forth, ask dh which were the top and bottom
>numbers and took a few stabs by having him say a temp then trying to set it
>myself, got like twelve of thirteen...

I personally would not buy a smoker that takes any special smoking
fuel for several reasons. I do not want to be at the mercy of anybody
for a fuel that I can only get from THEM. Also, what's wrong with
wood? Been around for a long time

I converted to an electric smoker when I bought one and loaned out my
charcoal/gas smoker. Other than a lack of smoke ring, I love my
electric. Consistent, easy to control. The only issue is that I can
not do a whole hog. That will change next summer when I get another
rig. But for now I love my Smoke Hallow Electric.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

what became the deciding factor is that i want to be able to use it
independently, we looked at several el. smokers that i think would probably
do better/easier cooks, but they would require me to ask for help with it,
since i am the one who is interested in smoking more than dh it seemed
selfish, and might be frusterating if i woke up and wanted to smoke and he
was away or not feeling well... I hope that makes sense, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>

>>my new house has an outside plug set up so the el smoker is back on the
>>list
>>but well down it, i am still getting the one marty pointed out to me, the
>>one with pucs, i got to see one at, calballas, sp and the slide settings
>>are
>>so easy that i moved it back and forth, ask dh which were the top and
>>bottom
>>numbers and took a few stabs by having him say a temp then trying to set
>>it
>>myself, got like twelve of thirteen...

> I personally would not buy a smoker that takes any special smoking
> fuel for several reasons. I do not want to be at the mercy of anybody
> for a fuel that I can only get from THEM. Also, what's wrong with
> wood? Been around for a long time
>
> I converted to an electric smoker when I bought one and loaned out my
> charcoal/gas smoker. Other than a lack of smoke ring, I love my
> electric. Consistent, easy to control. The only issue is that I can
> not do a whole hog. That will change next summer when I get another
> rig. But for now I love my Smoke Hallow Electric.
>
> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message
tions...

>> I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the
>> cut ends of a prime rib.

> ever had the guts to trim your posts?
>
> joe
> dark as shit, alaska

I think a thread pretty much should remain intact throughout. An exception
would be something like your comment aboave. I think each point in Gene's
meticulously written post about standing rib was excellent. Though long, it
was all good valid material. If you're referring to my rhetoric alone, I
don't think I wrote anything inappropriate.

I also feel post text should be reversed. The most recent message should be
on top. The reader can read down as far as he wants to. That's probably not
going to happen.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>
>>You cooked it in the oven?? You must have moved your oven outside onto the
>>patio. It's somewhat of interest that your post immediately follows the
>>"afb
>>FAQ" post.

> WTF are you talking about on both points?

The afb FAQ written in the late 90's defined this NG as being about cooking
"low and slow" outside the house, usually with charcoal, almost always with
wood. I don't think you broke the standard with an electric oven as long as
you put some wood in it and moved the oven out of the house.

>>I've never had the guts to risk my investment by browning directly the cut
>>ends of a prime rib.

> Then learn how to cook.

I know how to cook. These days a good standing rib roast in CA is $10/lb.
That's $100 for a 10 lb roast. That's an investment you want to pay off on
the table.

> I'm going to try it next time. I usually paint the cut
>>ends with rendered bacon fat. I'll brown the cut ends in bacon fat, and
>>save
>>the non fatty part of the pan residue for the Yorkshire pudding. I would
>>leave the other surfaces alone to render the fat and drippings that are
>>the
>>principal ingredients of the Yorkshire pudding you make with the roast.
>>I'm
>>going to, as always, roast the standing rib indirectly on the Weber at
>>250F,
>>though only to 120-125F. The temp will rise five degrees during the
>>resting
>>period while you're making the "Yorkie".

> Nobody asked about Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire pudding is a mandatory component of any standing rib roast dinner.
To waste the drippings and the rendered fat and leave the Yorkshire pudding
out is like cooking half the dish. In the UK you'd be laughing stock.

>>I think your point about the "butt end" cut is a very good one. The last
>>roast we had, however, was a bit on the dry side. I always look carefully
>>at
>>the piece of meat I'm going to buy. It needs to have enough fat.
>>
>>I'd to try the above on The WSM smoker. However. with the water pan full,
>>the temp. doesn't quite reach 250F.

> Try sand
>
> Gene

I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in this
NG.

Thanks,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:09:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 02:50:30 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> I have not paid attention to Kent's infrared grilling deal. But I
>> really like my infrared grill...

>Uh-Oh, NOW you've done it! Get ready for 8 questions in rapid
>succession.
>
>-sw

Turn on to high and flame the shit out of everything is my answer to
all 8

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:09:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 02:50:30 -0600, Gene wrote:
>>
>>> I have not paid attention to Kent's infrared grilling deal. But I
>>> really like my infrared grill...

>>Uh-Oh, NOW you've done it! Get ready for 8 questions in rapid
>>succession.
>>
>>-sw

> Turn on to high and flame the shit out of everything is my answer to
> all 8
>
> Gene

What brand and model of infrared do you have? I'd appreciate knowing.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:09:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 02:50:30 -0600, Gene wrote:
>>
>>> I have not paid attention to Kent's infrared grilling deal. But I
>>> really like my infrared grill...

>>Uh-Oh, NOW you've done it! Get ready for 8 questions in rapid
>>succession.
>>
>>-sw

> Turn on to high and flame the shit out of everything is my answer to
> all 8
>
> Gene

wouldn't a long slow burn be more satisfying?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> It's not dead yet. I think Kent has already come and gone, so it can
> only get better from now on :-) Prime Rib is one of Kent's "5 Anal
> Passions" (along with dry cured ham, infrared grilling, cold smoking,
> and I forgot #5...;-)

Charred rare, or some such pretentious nonsense.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
> this NG.

It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>wouldn't a long slow burn be more satisfying?

Come to think of it...YES!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:00:31 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Kent wrote:
>
>> I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
>> this NG.

>It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.

Just keeps getting better eh?

That is the 1st thing I tried that I saw mentioned on this NG years
ago. Been doing it ever since.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:16:32 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>This is bogus, IMO. All you need to do is preheat the oven to 50-0F,
>throw in the roast, turn down the heat to 250F after 5-10 minutes
>depending on how well your oven retains heat, and then let it go until
>125-130F.

Have you ever tried reversing that order? I roast at 250 until it hits
115 and then crank the oven to 500 and pop it back in for another 15
minutes. I get a great crust and nice med-rare beef every time.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2011, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
> > I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
> > this NG.

> It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
> --
> Dave
> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
> Robert Heinlein

That was a very kind comment Dave. You know and I know and
everybody knows that Kent has been around this NG for long time.
The subject of water pan with water/sand/ dry/no pan at all has
been beaten to death. Nuff said.
--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:54:15 -0500, Orlando Enrique Fiol

>>Turn on to high and flame the shit out of everything is my answer to
>>all 8

>It might not be apparent that Lee is blind as am I. Smoking with wood is
>generally not the safest thing for blind folks to do independently.
>
>Orlando

The turn it on high comment was to Steve about Kent and his infrared
cooker.

As for blind smoking, an electric smoker would be best I would think
for various reasons. Wood pucks or pellets are an expensive solution,
aside from the issue of obtaining them when you run out and you need
some today.

Gene

Prime Rib? vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 08-01-2011 11:21 PM
Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 06:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM