dry rub for ribs

Old 17-06-2011, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default dry rub for ribs

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

Old 17-06-2011, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" wrote in message
Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
8 hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

I apply rub up to 24 hours before smoking. Usually it's overnight. If you do
this you should be careful with salt.

Kent

Old 17-06-2011, 10:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" wrote
How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. At
least the consensus I've gathered. I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.

Most I've ever done is maybe a half hour. Usually 4 - 5 minutes.
Old 17-06-2011, 03:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 16, 10:35*pm, "Dimitri" wrote:
Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

We use a rub that isn't super sweet, but has some brown sugar in it.
We
put it on the night before usually. or in the morning if he is doing
an overnight cook.
Nan in DE
Old 17-06-2011, 03:37 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

I pull the ribs out of the fridge onto baking sheets, apply the rub and
let them come up to room temperature while I fire up the smoker. I'd
estimate that's somewhere in the 1hr range and it does allow time for
moisture to crust the rub.
Old 17-06-2011, 03:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Jun-2011, "Dimitri" wrote:

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

I personally apply rub just before throwing the meat into the pit. Usually
less then two hours before. That, however, is not what I'd like to do. I
would rather apply the rub the day before and let it 'marinate' at least
overnight. I've seen several BBQ contestants lately declare that they
rub a day in advance and some of those are folks that usually score
in the top ten.
--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Old 17-06-2011, 04:12 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 17, 7:44*am, "Brick" wrote:
On 16-Jun-2011, "Dimitri" wrote:

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

I personally apply rub just before throwing the meat into the pit. Usually
less then two hours before. That, however, is not what I'd like to do. I
would rather apply the rub the day before and let it 'marinate' at least
overnight. I've seen several BBQ contestants lately declare that they
rub a day in advance and some of those are folks that usually score
in the top ten.
--

Danny Gladden of the BBQ FAQ comes to mind. His "recipe" call for a
lot of spices with a drizzle of veg oil, and wrap in saran wrap

Old 17-06-2011, 07:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:
Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour
up to 8 hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

Hi, Dimitri.

I completely dry my slabs and let them sit out at room temp for about 45- 60
minutes. Shortly before going into the pit, I wipe each slab with a thin,
thin smear of vegetable oil. I then liberally apply the rub. The slabs go
into the pit about 5 minutes later. I find that putting on the rub much in
advance, it makes things a wet mess. If I want to add a lot of additional
flavor to the meat, I'll marinade well in advance.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------

Old 18-06-2011, 01:23 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:44 -0700, "Dimitri"
wrote:

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. I've
put it on the night before, and from 5 min to an hour before the cook.
The salt does pull moisture out of the racks when it's had the
overnight time; I've not noticed much effect in an hour, but I think
there's some.

I think my best luck--and best ribs--have come from the combo of a
light coat of CYM followed by the rub, and then into the pit in no
more than a half-hour.

But again, this is with a somewhat salt-laden rub. I suspect that
with little or no salt in the rub, you could easily go overnight with
no ill effects.

Now, on a butt, I think overnight with the salty rub works
nicely--though with a butterflied Costco boneless butt it'd likely be
different. Haven't tried one of those yet, but will this year.

Old 18-06-2011, 05:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 17, 5:23*pm, Denny Wheeler
wrote:

I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. *I've

"Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

Old 19-06-2011, 03:25 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. *I've

"Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

Then who's Gluden - CYM's brother?

-sw

that's quite the typo, y is nowhere near a on the keyboard

Cam
Old 19-06-2011, 04:57 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. I've

"Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

Then who's Gluden - CYM's brother?

-sw

that's quite the typo, y is nowhere near a on the keyboard

Cam

Huh? Cheap Yellow Mustard

Old 22-06-2011, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz

On Jun 16, 11:26*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:44 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. *At
least the consensus I've gathered. *I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.

The meat should be dry when you put it in the smoker. *You can't do
that if you've pre-salted the meat and it's drawing out moisture.
Sure, you can take some paper towels to it, but then you're taking off
the rub, too.

Even if you're not using salt in your rub, there is no penetration of
flavors into the meat unless you used some sort of marinade.

-sw

I guess smoking is also useless since it can't penetrate?
Oh I guess you can't reply since your reply will be deleted.

Greg
Old 23-06-2011, 01:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:
[...]

That's a nonsensical analogy, Greg. Steve is correct. And of course Steve
can reply. There is no moderator to delete his reply, and as such it will
show up on AFB for all to read, should he choose to reply.