Member

Default Store Bought BBQ Sauce

I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can anyone suggest a good one?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 24, 9:16*am, jayare >
wrote:
> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?
>
> --
> jayare

Sweet Baby Rays. We Que all the time and that is the one we use, when
we use anything. Usually the meat is so good with just the rub, the
sauce
sits on the table.
Enjoy the bird. Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 24, 6:16*am, jayare >
wrote:
> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?
>
> --
> jayare

That looks to be a pretty standard mix used in that recipe, so any ole
store bought thing would do.

Masterpiece, whatever......

Me, I'd follow the cooking directions, but spatchcock the chicken and
do the whole thing on the grill. Just move the chick off to the side
of the flames, the sugar in the sauce will blacken without burning
that way, just flip and coat every 10 minutes or so after the first
flips as stated there.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote

> Masterpiece, whatever......
>
> Me, I'd follow the cooking directions, but spatchcock the chicken and
> do the whole thing on the grill. Just move the chick off to the side
> of the flames, the sugar in the sauce will blacken without burning
> that way, just flip and coat every 10 minutes or so after the first
> flips as stated there.

I spatchcock too, but don't flip at all until the very end. Sauce, flip,
sauce the other side, five minutes and take it off. Rest it, then eat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Mar-2011, jayare > wrote:

> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?
>

> --
> jayare

Sweet Baby Ray's for sweet ad Stubbs original for tart.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jayare wrote:
> I'm just about to break out the grill for the
> season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken
> recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd
> substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive
> one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?

Blues Hog.

'Nuff said.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 24-Mar-2011, jayare > wrote:
>
>> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
>> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
>> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
>> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
>> anyone suggest a good one?
>>

> Sweet Baby Ray's for sweet ad Stubbs original for tart.
>
> Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Sweet Baby Ray's is too sweet.

Everett and Jones BBQ sauce: not so easy to find unless you live in the SF
Bay Area
http://www.super-que.com/purchase.htm and
Kinders BBQ sauce: http://www.kindersbbq.com/bbq-sauce.html

Kent

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
jayare > spewed forth:
> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?

For over the counter I really like Head Country, nice bite.

http://www.headcountry.com/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz > spewed forth:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:00:26 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> For over the counter I really like Head Country, nice bite.
>>
>> http://www.headcountry.com/

> Head Country won 1st place but I've never tried it (nor seen it, I
> don't think). My current favorite is the second place sauce, HEB
> Classic Series "Carolina".
>
> http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...cue_sauces.php
>
> Only available in Texas and Mexico as far as I know.
>
> -sw

youz got Braums down there, don't ya? Both are Okie based companies and in a
pinch I'll pick it up at Braum's
Sams carries it here too as does wallie world. Try it, I believe you'd like
it.
No HEBs here, so I never tried the Carolina.
But I have been enjoying the seasonal Lays Tangy Carolina BBQ chips, though,
does that count?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:26:12 -0700 (PDT), Olde Hippee
> wrote:

>On Mar 24, 9:16*am, jayare >
>wrote:
>> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
>> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
>> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
>> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
>> anyone suggest a good one?
>>
>> --
>> jayare

>Sweet Baby Rays. We Que all the time and that is the one we use, when
>we use anything. Usually the meat is so good with just the rub, the
>sauce
>sits on the table.
>Enjoy the bird. Nan in DE

I've got to agree with you. When I use a store bought, Sweet Baby
Ray's is the only one I'll use. But it's not often I'll use a store
bought sauce.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/24/2011 6:16 AM, jayare wrote:
> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
> anyone suggest a good one?

I'm not a fan of sweet either. I'd be more
inclined to use Woody's Cookin' Sauce. I know
there has to be some respectable commercial BBQ
sauce out there but it's hard to find. For as
crappy as their Q is, Famous Dave's has a few
decent sauces that they sell.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz > spewed forth:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:16:31 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Sqwertz > spewed forth:

>>> Head Country won 1st place but I've never tried it (nor seen it, I
>>> don't think). My current favorite is the second place sauce, HEB
>>> Classic Series "Carolina".
>>>
>>> http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...cue_sauces.php
>>>
>>> Only available in Texas and Mexico as far as I know.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> youz got Braums down there, don't ya?

> Braums? The composer? I didn't know he was playing in Austin.

No, not the composer. the ice cream store

>> Sams carries it here too as does wallie world. Try it, I believe
>> you'd like it.

> I can try Wallyworld. I don't usually spend much time there so I
> wouldn't know if it's there or not.

yeah i know, but they do have some things though as much as I hate them

>> No HEBs here, so I never tried the Carolina.

> I keep forgetting one of the major cities doesn't have HEB's. But you
> do have Central Market, and it should be there if you ever go there.
>
> I don't know why they don't compete against Kroger. They could kick
> their ass. But I have faith the HEB knows what they are doing
> <shrug>.

I wish they were here too. kroger sucks, but I do get .10 off a gallon of
gas after spending $100
I'll look the next time I'm at CM and see if the have it.

>> But I have been enjoying the seasonal Lays Tangy Carolina BBQ chips,
>> though, does that count?

> Here it's loaded chili cheese baked potato flavor.
>
> -sw

The Lays Tangy Carolina BBQ chips are tasty

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 24, 1:21*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote
>

> > Masterpiece, whatever......

> > Me, I'd follow the cooking directions, but spatchcock the chicken and
> > do the whole thing on the grill. Just move the chick off to the side
> > of the flames, the sugar in the sauce will blacken without burning
> > that way, just flip and coat every 10 minutes or so after the first
> > flips as stated there.

> I spatchcock too, but don't flip at all until *the very end. *Sauce, flip,
> sauce the other side, five minutes and take it off. *Rest it, then eat.

The extra flipping adds extra coats of sauce. The first layer is a
nice base for the second one. When done, or overdone if that's your
view, there's a thick later of sauce all over the bird. Hence my
nickname for it : "candied chicken". The wife and family love it that
way *shrug*.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:26:12 -0700 (PDT) in alt.food.barbecue, Olde
Hippee > wrote,
>On Mar 24, 9:16*am, jayare >
>wrote:
>> I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
>> give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
>> Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
>> bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
>> anyone suggest a good one?
>>
>> --
>> jayare

>Sweet Baby Rays.

The worst commercial sauce I ever tried. Might as well take a
decent sauce, like Bullseye, and adulterate it half and half with
Karo syrup.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:16:09 +0000, jayare
> wrote:

>I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
>give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
>Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
>bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
>anyone suggest a good one?

Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL has a mail-order business. I really
like their white sauce with chicken.

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/main.htm

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare View Post
I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can anyone suggest a good one?
---------------------------------

Store Bought BBQ Sauce ...The Results

I prepared three batches of Perdue thighs: 1. Sweet Baby Ray’s. This one got the most recommendations. 2. Stubb’s Original Recipe. Another one that got a strong recommendation. 3. Tyler Florence’s Recipe Sauce. I figured this experiment needed a control at least to remind me.

First Place: Tyler’s Ultimate. Second Place: Sweet Baby Ray’s. Third Place: Stubb’s Original

When it was all said and done I can understand why Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Barbequed Chicken recipe has earned bragging rights not to mention a whopping 274 positive reader reviews on the Food Network. There’s a reason why it’s called the Ultimate. IMO there’s nothing else I’ve tasted home made or store bought that comes close. It has an insidious addictive flavor that comes alive after a couple days in the fridge and never seems to make it to the dinner table because I can’t resist grabbing a chilled thigh at mid morning or heating some up along with yellow rice in the microwave for lunch.

Sweet Baby Ray’s was lost in the crowd of the many sweet sauces out there on the market. Stubb’s was at least an attempt in the right direction but lacked any real substance.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5/4/2011 5:45 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> Sweet Baby Ray’s was lost in the crowd of the many sweet sauces out
>> there on the market. Stubb’s was at least an attempt in the right
>> direction but lacked any real substance.

> Sorry, but I have simple tastes. All those fancy schmancy complicated
> BBQ sauces just don't do it for me.
>
> Flame all you want, but I prefer Kraft regular (traditional).
>
> Simple and inexpensive...

I'm not a fan of "fancy schmancy" BBQ sauce either
but Kraft isn't much more than than catchup, high
fructose corn syrup, and liquid smoke. Honey, I
*know* you've got better taste than that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5/4/2011 11:06 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In raweb.com>,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2011 5:45 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,
>>>
>>> <snipped>

>>> Sorry, but I have simple tastes. All those fancy schmancy complicated
>>> BBQ sauces just don't do it for me.
>>>
>>> Flame all you want, but I prefer Kraft regular (traditional).
>>>
>>> Simple and inexpensive...

>> I'm not a fan of "fancy schmancy" BBQ sauce either
>> but Kraft isn't much more than than catchup, high
>> fructose corn syrup, and liquid smoke. Honey, I
>> *know* you've got better taste than that.

> When it's cooked, it changes...
>
> Frankly tho', most of the time I use no sauce at all. I use BBQ sauce
> maybe once every couple of years when I'm in the mood for it. :-)
>
> GOOD BBQ needs no sauce!

Exactly the reason that if you do use sauce that
had better be something good.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-May-2011, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> jayare > wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> > Sweet Baby Ray’s was lost in the crowd of the many sweet sauces out
> > there on the market. Stubb’s was at least an attempt in the right
> > direction but lacked any real substance.

> Sorry, but I have simple tastes. All those fancy schmancy complicated
> BBQ sauces just don't do it for me.
>
> Flame all you want, but I prefer Kraft regular (traditional).
>
> Simple and inexpensive...
> Peace, Om

Right on Om. Taste is in the mouth of the taster. If there were only
one good BBQ sauce, then there would be only one kind on the shelf.
How does one ever explain the enjoyment of liver and Brussel sprouts
to a person that hates them. Now it happens that I stock both Sweet
Ray's and Stuffs original at my house. That said, I use very little BBQ
sauce.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 05 May 2011 01:06:23 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article om>,
> JD > wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2011 5:45 PM, Omelet wrote:
>> > In >,
>> >
>> > <snipped>

>> > Sorry, but I have simple tastes. All those fancy schmancy complicated
>> > BBQ sauces just don't do it for me.
>> >
>> > Flame all you want, but I prefer Kraft regular (traditional).
>> >
>> > Simple and inexpensive...

>> I'm not a fan of "fancy schmancy" BBQ sauce either
>> but Kraft isn't much more than than catchup, high
>> fructose corn syrup, and liquid smoke. Honey, I
>> *know* you've got better taste than that.

>When it's cooked, it changes...
>
>Frankly tho', most of the time I use no sauce at all. I use BBQ sauce
>maybe once every couple of years when I'm in the mood for it. :-)
>
>GOOD BBQ needs no sauce!
>--

Exactly! I gave my mother a couple pounds of pulled pork last fall.
She tossed in the freezer and forgot about it till a week or so ago.
She finally got it out to try it and asked me what kind of sauce to
put on it. I told her to use whatever she wanted, but I prefer it
without.

She tried it without and now understands that BBQ does NOT mean meat
with sauce on it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote

> Frankly tho', most of the time I use no sauce at all. I use BBQ sauce
> maybe once every couple of years when I'm in the mood for it. :-)
>
> GOOD BBQ needs no sauce!

At work one day we had a discussion about ribs. One fellow said, they had
little flavor, it is the sauce that is important. I brought him some of
mine to try and he changed his mind. Thousands of people have never had
good bbq.

Member

Location: Detroit, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Hippee View Post
On Mar 24, 9:16*am, jayare
wrote:
I'm just about to break out the grill for the season and thought I'd
give that Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ Chicken recipe from the Food
Network another whirl. This time I thought I'd substitute a good store
bought BBQ sauce instead of the labor intensive one in the recipe. Can
anyone suggest a good one?

--
jayare

Sweet Baby Rays. We Que all the time and that is the one we use, when
we use anything. Usually the meat is so good with just the rub, the
sauce
sits on the table.
Enjoy the bird. Nan in DE
What flavor sauce of Sweet Baby Rays do you use?? I've only had the original but am really tempted to checking out another. I had no idea they had rub either. We are going to start stocking this at our store soon because it seems to be one of the fastest growing brands.