Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default brine question

I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
non-metallic dish"
Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
there a reason why non-metallic is better?
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
> recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
> non-metallic dish"
> Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
> there a reason why non-metallic is better?
> Eddie

Stainless is OK. You want to avoid aluminum or cast iron due to the
corrosiveness of the brine.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:52:48 -0800, Eddie >
wrote:

>I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
>recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
>non-metallic dish"
>Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
>there a reason why non-metallic is better?
>Eddie

Ditto what Ed said. Also avoid copper.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
> recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
> non-metallic dish"
> Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
> there a reason why non-metallic is better?
> Eddie

Here is the site I would refer to when in doubt.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Nov-2010, Eddie > wrote:

> I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
> recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
> non-metallic dish"
> Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
> there a reason why non-metallic is better?
> Eddie

Don't sweat it Eddie. If your SS bowl was going to kill you, you
wouldn't be here to question it.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>I was going to brine before the smoke. While checking out brine
> recipes on line I found this quote. "Place Turkey in large
> non-metallic dish"
> Huh? I have been using a large stainless steel pot to brine. Is
> there a reason why non-metallic is better?
> Eddie

a more accurate recipe would have stated "non-reactive container". That
included stainless steel.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> In any case the bird is in the K7 being smoked with cherry wood.

Sounds good, Eddie. Happy Thanksgiving!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 Nov 2010 21:10:41 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Eddie > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> In any case the bird is in the K7 being smoked with cherry wood.

>Sounds good, Eddie. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks amigo. Hey, as usual my smoked turkey was a hit with everyone.
I put the turkey in the smoker and an hour later I had to go to work.
I couldn't find my probe (as usual, blame the wife) so about three
hours into the smoke I called on my first break. Only my
granddaughter was home so I instructed her how to open the dome, lock
it in place and add one more small log of cherry wood. On the fourth
hour I called and told her how to insert the meat thermometer into the
breast. It read 180 and I told her to take it out right away.
Over all she did a good job. Next lesson will be how to brine.
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >Eddie > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> In any case the bird is in the K7 being smoked with cherry wood.

> >Sounds good, Eddie. Happy Thanksgiving!

> Thanks amigo. Hey, as usual my smoked turkey was a hit with everyone.
> I put the turkey in the smoker and an hour later I had to go to work.
> I couldn't find my probe (as usual, blame the wife) so about three
> hours into the smoke I called on my first break. Only my
> granddaughter was home so I instructed her how to open the dome, lock
> it in place and add one more small log of cherry wood. On the fourth
> hour I called and told her how to insert the meat thermometer into the
> breast. It read 180 and I told her to take it out right away.
> Over all she did a good job. Next lesson will be how to brine.

Good Grandfather. Great Granddaughter!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Thanks amigo. Hey, as usual my smoked turkey was a hit with everyone.
>> I put the turkey in the smoker and an hour later I had to go to work.
>> I couldn't find my probe (as usual, blame the wife) so about three
>> hours into the smoke I called on my first break. Only my
>> granddaughter was home so I instructed her how to open the dome, lock
>> it in place and add one more small log of cherry wood. On the fourth
>> hour I called and told her how to insert the meat thermometer into the
>> breast. It read 180 and I told her to take it out right away.
>> Over all she did a good job. Next lesson will be how to brine.

> Good Grandfather. Great Granddaughter! <---- roger that!

To brine or not to brine Oregonian Haruspex General Cooking 5 02-05-2014 05:41 AM
Question re canning brine fermented dills [email protected] Preserving 39 11-08-2007 07:01 PM
Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ... fatsam Barbecue 10 17-09-2004 04:51 PM
Fat Man Brine Willsey Barbecue 3 19-02-2004 06:38 PM
Turkey Brine Question Annaid General Cooking 4 25-11-2003 11:02 AM