Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Iowan style barbecue

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:24:36 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime
> wrote:

>The most important thing to remember when doing barbecue in
>the style of the Iowans is to soak your wood in Iowan corn
>whisky first. Let it soak for at least one week.

Snip

And then light the wood and stand back in amazement as the fire ball
reaches Chicago.

Sorry, sounds like a troll.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 11, 4:51*am, Gene > wrote:
> On Tue, *9 Nov 2010 21:24:36 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime
>
> > wrote:
> >The most important thing to remember when doing barbecue in
> >the style of the Iowans is to soak your wood in Iowan corn
> >whisky first. *Let it soak for at least one week.

> Snip
>
> And then light the wood and stand back in amazement as the fire ball
> reaches Chicago.
>
> Sorry, sounds like a troll.

Must be a troll. I've never heard of soaking wood in whisky before.
It might fly if you're super rich or something, but for the average
every day barbecue, I don't think so.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:37:36 -0800 (PST), A Moose In Love
> wrote:

>On Nov 11, 4:51*am, Gene > wrote:
>> On Tue, *9 Nov 2010 21:24:36 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >The most important thing to remember when doing barbecue in
>> >the style of the Iowans is to soak your wood in Iowan corn
>> >whisky first. *Let it soak for at least one week.

>> Snip
>>
>> And then light the wood and stand back in amazement as the fire ball
>> reaches Chicago.
>>
>> Sorry, sounds like a troll.

>Must be a troll. I've never heard of soaking wood in whisky before.
>It might fly if you're super rich or something, but for the average
>every day barbecue, I don't think so.

Jack Dan. sells wood from the oak they age their whisky in. Good for a
FAST GRILLING, imho, not much good for a long smoke. The wood is
dried real well so that all the KABOOM juice has left the wood by
smoke time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Hey Gene, have not seen you for awhile. :-) How're ya doing?

A-OK! Been lurkin, reading, sometimes laughing, sometimes shaking my
head.

LOL!

Not too much to comment on here these days. If I did I might end up on
the wrong side of some silly argument!

How you been???

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:51:32 -0600, Gene wrote:

> Sorry, sounds like a troll.

Do us all a favor and killfile it, and the server it came from
(rip.ax.lt).

If it sounds like a troll, it is.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:42:17 -0600, Gene wrote:

> snip
>
>>Hey Gene, have not seen you for awhile. :-) How're ya doing?

> A-OK! Been lurkin, reading, sometimes laughing, sometimes shaking my
> head.
>
> LOL!
>
> Not too much to comment on here these days. If I did I might end up on
> the wrong side of some silly argument!

You snipped who posted the name of the person you're responding to.

(both sides are wrong)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:56:12 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> snip
>>
>> >Hey Gene, have not seen you for awhile. :-) How're ya doing?

>> A-OK! Been lurkin, reading, sometimes laughing, sometimes shaking my
>> head.
>>
>> LOL!

>I know the feeling. <g>
>

>> Not too much to comment on here these days. If I did I might end up on
>> the wrong side of some silly argument!
>>
>> How you been???

>Surviving. :-)
>
>You going to start hanging out on a.b.f. again?

I might. Not much by way of pics to post of late.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:24:36 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime
> wrote:
>
>>The most important thing to remember when doing barbecue in
>>the style of the Iowans is to soak your wood in Iowan corn
>>whisky first. Let it soak for at least one week.

>Snip
>
>And then light the wood and stand back in amazement as the fire ball
>reaches Chicago.
>
>Sorry, sounds like a troll.

I'm guessing that most of the alcohol would evaporate off leaving...
um... corn flavor??? Hm... Seems like it would be just as effective
to burn up a couple of corn cobs in the firebox. Can't say I ever
wanted corn flavor in my meat, but I might be missing something.

That said, when grilling chicken (not slow smoking) I make a basting
sauce out of beer, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and red
pepper. Cook it to a slow boil, then add 151 rum. It's hard to pour
in the rum since it seems like a waste,,, but it really adds to the
resulting flavor. Don't think I would waste it on wood chips, and
can't see corn whiskey (shine???) doing anything like that though, but
I could be wrong. It happened before once... HA!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 11/13/2010 5:05 PM, mike wrote:

Snip

> but I could be wrong. It happened before once... HA!

Was that the time you THOUGHT you were wrong?

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:33:20 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:56:12 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >I know the feeling. <g>

>> >Surviving. :-)
>> >
>> >You going to start hanging out on a.b.f. again?

>> I might. Not much by way of pics to post of late.

>That never stopped me... <g> I have a back log but have been too
>preoccupied with other things to take the time to set them up for it.

See, the prob I have is that I have to shrink everything in order to
post it. Turns into a real pain in the ass sometimes. LOL!

I get what your sayin!

I still lurk there. But I don't say much.

Is there going to be a Sec. Santa thing this year?

Peace

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:38:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:42:17 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> snip
>>
>>>Hey Gene, have not seen you for awhile. :-) How're ya doing?

>> A-OK! Been lurkin, reading, sometimes laughing, sometimes shaking my
>> head.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> Not too much to comment on here these days. If I did I might end up on
>> the wrong side of some silly argument!

>You snipped who posted the name of the person you're responding to.
>
>(both sides are wrong)
>
>-sw

Who gives a funk?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:29:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:51:32 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> Sorry, sounds like a troll.

>Do us all a favor and killfile it, and the server it came from
>(rip.ax.lt).
>
>If it sounds like a troll, it is.
>
>-sw

You make me laugh

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:05:35 -0500, mike > wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:51:32 -0600, Gene >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:24:36 +0100 (CET), Anne Onime
> wrote:
>>
>>>The most important thing to remember when doing barbecue in
>>>the style of the Iowans is to soak your wood in Iowan corn
>>>whisky first. Let it soak for at least one week.

>>Snip
>>
>>And then light the wood and stand back in amazement as the fire ball
>>reaches Chicago.
>>
>>Sorry, sounds like a troll.

>I'm guessing that most of the alcohol would evaporate off leaving...
>um... corn flavor??? Hm... Seems like it would be just as effective
>to burn up a couple of corn cobs in the firebox. Can't say I ever
>wanted corn flavor in my meat, but I might be missing something.
>
>That said, when grilling chicken (not slow smoking) I make a basting
>sauce out of beer, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and red
>pepper. Cook it to a slow boil, then add 151 rum. It's hard to pour
>in the rum since it seems like a waste,,, but it really adds to the
>resulting flavor. Don't think I would waste it on wood chips, and
>can't see corn whiskey (shine???) doing anything like that though, but
>I could be wrong. It happened before once... HA!

Someone once said I was wrong about forgetting I was wrong. They were
wrong. Unless I'm wrong.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:21:37 -0600, Gene wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:38:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:42:17 -0600, Gene wrote:
>>
>>> snip

>>> A-OK! Been lurkin, reading, sometimes laughing, sometimes shaking my
>>> head.
>>>
>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> Not too much to comment on here these days. If I did I might end up on
>>> the wrong side of some silly argument!

>>You snipped who posted the name of the person you're responding to.
>>
>>(both sides are wrong)

> Who gives a funk?

Well, actually - I did. Because I didn't see the post you were
responding to.

So I start a "silly argument" for you.

-sw (still wondering who was kissing up to you)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>You going to start hanging out on a.b.f. again?

> I might. Not much by way of pics to post of late.

Who knows? He might get "The Book".

craigster

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:32:57 -0600, bbq > wrote:

>On 11/13/2010 5:05 PM, mike wrote:
>
>Snip
>

>> but I could be wrong. It happened before once... HA!

>Was that the time you THOUGHT you were wrong?
>
>BBQ

Nope, I actually thought I was right, but was proven wrong... It was
a very sad day...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:23:15 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>Someone once said I was wrong about forgetting I was wrong. They were
>wrong. Unless I'm wrong.

However, if you weren't wrong about forgetting you were wrong, then
you are wrong for doubting your unwrongness, which is wrong.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:27:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:21:37 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:38:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>You snipped who posted the name of the person you're responding to.
>>>
>>>(both sides are wrong)

>> Who gives a funk?

>Well, actually - I did. Because I didn't see the post you were
>responding to.
>
>So I start a "silly argument" for you.
>
>-sw (still wondering who was kissing up to you)

Oops. Sorry, It was OM.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:11:48 -0500, mike > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:23:15 -0600, Gene >
>wrote:
>

>>Someone once said I was wrong about forgetting I was wrong. They were
>>wrong. Unless I'm wrong.

>However, if you weren't wrong about forgetting you were wrong, then
>you are wrong for doubting your unwrongness, which is wrong.

Unless I'm never wrong that is.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 00:02:43 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:11:48 -0500, mike > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:23:15 -0600, Gene >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Someone once said I was wrong about forgetting I was wrong. They were
>>>wrong. Unless I'm wrong.

>>However, if you weren't wrong about forgetting you were wrong, then
>>you are wrong for doubting your unwrongness, which is wrong.

>Unless I'm never wrong that is.

Very true, or maybe not...