Grill Assembly - Trust Home Depot or Do It Myself?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grill Assembly - Trust Home Depot or Do It Myself?

I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?

Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article , Philly Ray wrote:
I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?

Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.

Thanks.

Me and my dad assembled a Sam's Club grill. we barely had enough
manpower to hold the thing in place while tightning screws. The cast
iron compoents were heavy.

I definately could not do it myself. Have no idea what your grill consists of.

greg
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Philly Ray" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?

Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.

Thanks.

It's not as negative as you'd think to assemble a grill, and you really need
to know where the parts are. How is a replacement burner installed, etc.
You'll recognize a part failure and replace it with much less effort if
you've assembled it yourself. Also, you can get lower prices and free
shipping at Amazon, especially if you wait a bit for things to come on sale.
I had Home Depot assemble deliver a Weber gas grill years ago. I wouldn't do
it again. There were a few scratches. Some pieces required tightening of the
screws holding them.

If I were looking for a grill now I'd want to have one with an infrared
element that will sear meat, at a higher temperature than the standard
propane grill. The only midpriced infrared grills at present are the
Charbroil Quantum series at Home Depot. I understand Lowe's, as well, has
name brand grills, probably Charbroil, that are only sold at Lowe's. If you
see a grill you want at Home Depot, you may well have to buy it there.

Consumer Reports recently tested gas grills, and as half expected the
$$$Weber Genesis$$$ was #1. The Charbroil infrared grills did well in their
ratings; one was considered a best buy. They didn't say a word about its
expected higher searing temp. Does it sear better or doesn't it? I have a
feeling that CU doesn't know anything about grilling.

Kent

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

Philly Ray wrote:
I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?

Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.

Thanks.

The time I had Home Depot deliver something, it was a flat charge of
$50.00. I had them deliver shingles. That was a bargain !!!!
My guess is they would deliver the grill assembled or boxed up. Your choice.

If you trust your assembly abilities, I would go for the saving the $40..

BBQ
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 2, 6:25*pm, bbq wrote:
Philly Ray wrote:
[...]

Well, now I'm discovering that Home Depot has an exclusive deal with
Weber to offer cast iron grates with the grill I am looking at (The
Spirit 310). Since the grates normally go for about $70 by
themselves, I still come out ahead about $30 if I buy the grill at HD
as opposed to buying it from Amazon and then buying the grates
separately. I think I am probably going to buy it at Home Depot, but
assemble it myself.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

Omelet wrote:
In ,
(GregS) wrote:

In article
, Philly
wrote:
[...]

My mom and I assembled my New Braunfels grill (and that was when mom was
still healthy!) and it was difficult with two people. That fire box
offset was heavy as hell!

I needed to lift 60 lbs last week. Difficult for me to do alone. I
figured out other ways to get done what I needed. It's difficult for me
to say I can't lift 60 lbs. But my back is worth not ruining either...

I take it your sister was not married yet ;-)

We did it tho'.

I really don't think that one person alone could possibly assemble one.

Lots of assembly needs 4 arms and hands..

Some home stores have services for assembly and installation, but it's
not free.

I hate helping my sister install her room air conditioner each spring.
She wants to do it, because she wants to do it. But needs the extra
hands. Maybe her 20 YO daughter is providing those extra hands now.

I don't know who is providing the swear words though !!!

BBQ
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Aug-2010, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:

In article
,
Philly

--
Peace! Om

I assembled my NB Silver by myself. But I was a mere 66 at the time. It
was a little heavy. I think Om has the NBBD. It's some heavier then the NB
Silver.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)
Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

i saved this fo r dh to look at but what does it run? Lee
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
bbq wrote:

My mom and I assembled my New Braunfels grill (and that was when mom
was
still healthy!) and it was difficult with two people. That fire box
offset was heavy as hell!

I needed to lift 60 lbs last week. Difficult for me to do alone. I
figured out other ways to get done what I needed. It's difficult for me
to say I can't lift 60 lbs. But my back is worth not ruining either...

50 lbs. is do-able for me, but just barely. ;-)
There is a reason for those weekly visits to the Chiropractor.
And why I now pay out of pocket for ART! Soft tissue therapy rulz.

I take it your sister was not married yet ;-)

Not yet. g They'd barely met on the internet and he was still in Ann
Arbor.

We did it tho'.

I really don't think that one person alone could possibly assemble one.

Lots of assembly needs 4 arms and hands..

But the box does not say that! ;-P

Some home stores have services for assembly and installation, but it's
not free.

I hate helping my sister install her room air conditioner each spring.
She wants to do it, because she wants to do it. But needs the extra
hands. Maybe her 20 YO daughter is providing those extra hands now.

I don't know who is providing the swear words though !!!

BBQ

lol Dad used to comment how some plumbing jobs were x-number of
cussword jobs!

Having done a bit of that myself, I understand...

As for your sister's room AC, consider recommending a portable unit. I
was able to install that one myself this Spring on the back porch. They
are wonderful, and a helluva lot longer living and easier to keep clean!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317825-94751...ctId=3192543&c
m_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Danby%2011000-BTU%20Portable%20Air%20Condi
tioner

Or:

http://tinyurl.com/276hz6z

I run the drain hose into a 5 gallon jug and it works fine.

Run the intake INDOORS instead of to the outdoor vent and it works
better. But of course, run the output vent OUT. It's hot air. The slides
for the venting are a dream for a window compared to trying to seal a
damned outdoor window unit.

I detest window units! Pain in the ass, inefficient and dirty as hell
the way mildew builds up inside of them where it's impossible to clean.
Not to mention trying to build a brace to support the friggin' things.
The portable sits on the floor just inside a window. They supply slides
for a sliding glass door too if you need to go that route.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, Lee
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Stormmee" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
[...]

The less expensive of the two available run $400.00.

Hope that helps! I really am pleased with the one I bought.