Price alert: Beef tenderloin at Costco

Old 26-06-2010, 06:25 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Price alert: Beef tenderloin at Costco

I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz
Old 26-06-2010, 06:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/26/2010 12:25 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz

It may be a good price, but not a price I purchase at.

BBQ
Old 26-06-2010, 12:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:09:10 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

That's regular price for USDA Choice peeled tenderloin here in
Austin. They sell USDA prime for $1 more. And unpeeled for
$7.99.

Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for $5.99/lb.
Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the HEB
vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

--
//ceed
Old 26-06-2010, 03:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Jun-2010, bbq wrote:

On 6/26/2010 12:25 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz

It may be a good price, but not a price I purchase at.

BBQ

I buy them untrimmed, 3 to a bag for $4.99/lb. Only one store that I've
ever seen does that though. I buy NY strips and Delmonico, whole
and untrimmed also. It may not be such a good deal if you don't have
a use for the trimmings. The trimmings from tenderloin are pretty
poor. I use them in curry like concoctions which I eat with eggs or
rice. The steak trimmings make pretty good chili. I partially render
those first to separate the lard and then make the chili. The result
is a very rich, beefy chili.

--
Brick (Too soon old and too late smart)
Old 26-06-2010, 03:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:25:18 -0700, Zz Yzx
wrote:

I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz

Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
$8.99/lb.
In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
for $11.99/lb.
Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

Ross.
Old 26-06-2010, 05:37 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz

Well, around here, at Costco it usually goes for $10.99 - $12.99 per
lb.

And get this: the local Costco store often sells two tenderloin butt
ends, packed end to end, for the full price. Go figure.
Old 26-06-2010, 08:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:32:58 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:46:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
$8.99/lb.
In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
for $11.99/lb.
Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

That's probably USDA Select beef. CostCo only carries choice and
higher, ans it's always flavorful (USDA Choice doesn't always mean
it's going to taste good, just that it has more fat).

-sw

Yep. I just checked the flyers and they're both Canada Grade AA or
higher which translates to USDA Select or higher.

Ross
Old 26-06-2010, 10:32 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:31:22 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
$5.99/lb.
Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the
HEB
vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

**** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
18-20lbs?

No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

Why?

--
//ceed
Old 27-06-2010, 12:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:11:46 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:32:21 -0500, ceed wrote:

No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

That's waaaay too much. I've never seen an 8lb bag of Rancher. I
think they're at least 18lbs.

Okay, I'll check the freezer and get back. I may be wrong

I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

Why?

I don't know - cause they give it beer and massage it daily? I'm
sure CostCo has a different feed program and higher standards than
the mass-market supermarket pork. You can taste the difference
between HEB pork and CostCo pork, no doubt about that. I went
back to CostCo pork a year ago after a 9 year hiatus and I
realized I forgot what pork tasted like until then.

Interesting. I've gotta check it out then I guess.

-sw

--
//ceed
Old 27-06-2010, 01:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:46:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
$8.99/lb.
In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
for $11.99/lb.
Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

That's probably USDA Select beef. CostCo only carries choice and
higher, ans it's always flavorful (USDA Choice doesn't always mean
it's going to taste good, just that it has more fat).

-sw

Yep. I just checked the flyers and they're both Canada Grade AA or
higher which translates to USDA Select or higher.

Ross

Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

BBQ
Old 27-06-2010, 01:20 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/26/2010 5:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:32:21 -0500, ceed wrote:

No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

That's waaaay too much. I've never seen an 8lb bag of Rancher. I
think they're at least 18lbs.

I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

Why?

I don't know - cause they give it beer and massage it daily?

I know cattle raised for Kobe beef get that treatment. I didn't some
pigs get that to ;-)

I'm sure CostCo has a different feed program and higher standards than
the mass-market supermarket pork.

CostCo is not mass-market?

You can taste the difference between HEB pork and CostCo pork, no doubt about that. I went
back to CostCo pork a year ago after a 9 year hiatus and I
realized I forgot what pork tasted like until then.

Will have to try them out. One is nearby me. Do they have a
complimentary 1 day membership for a trial?

BBQ
Old 27-06-2010, 02:17 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/26/2010 8:00 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:11:00 -0500, bbq wrote:

Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

All grades are technically, humanly consumable unless processed in
a non-acceptable way. I have ever seen the next lowest grade
(Standard) sold in retail. Lower grades are used for Dinty More,
Underwood, and prisoners.

-sw

"and prisoners"

LoL

BBQ
Old 27-06-2010, 01:34 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:15:42 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Okay, I'll check the freezer and get back. I may be wrong

Never mind. I thought you were talking about Rancher Charcoal.
Not Rancher Reserve (that nasty-assed meat that Safeway and
Randall's sells Duh!

To be honest I do not think it's nasty at all. It's not as good as the
grass fed beef I get from Ross's in Granger (TX), but it has it's ups and
downs like the HEB stuff does.

--
//ceed
Old 27-06-2010, 01:36 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:12 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:20:17 -0500, bbq wrote:

CostCo is not mass-market?

Nope. It's a very exclusive club ;-)

People who shop at Walmart generally do not shop at CostCo.

People who shop at CostCo have a much better eye for quality and
don't mind paying the extra $1.

I'm a retail whore. I shop where they've got what I want at a price I want
to pay. I draw a line though: Wal-Mart meats.

People who shop at Walmart wouldn't even consider paying $50 for
the privilege of shopping at CostCo.

Meat sold at Walmart is the same price and is sold in smaller
quantities. That is all that matters to Walmart shoppers. taste
is of no concern.

Take a look here and then compare it to the clientel at CostCo.
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9804

I could go on...

Then there are all the degrees of quality in between Walmart and
CostCo.

Will have to try them out. One is nearby me. Do they have a
complimentary 1 day membership for a trial?

Only when they first open a store.

Find somebody who has a membership or just buy one. I'm kinda
sick of trying to convince people to shop at CostCo over the
years. Those of us who do shop there know they have great quality
stuff, for the most part. It may not always be the cheaper than
the local grocery store sales, but it's consistently better. I
have yet to get burned on anything there and I'm sure I've bought
over $50,000 of food there in 23 years (including Price Club).

-sw

--
//ceed