Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default HELP please: grilled lamb kebabs

I've been asked to grill kebabs for a B-day bash tomorrow. I've got a
boneless leg of lamb, and I'm looking for a tried-and-true recipe,
marinade, rub, &tc., and any guidance this fine group of people can
offer.

Thanks a heap, in advance,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:21:53 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to grill kebabs for a B-day bash tomorrow. I've got a
> > boneless leg of lamb, and I'm looking for a tried-and-true recipe,
> > marinade, rub, &tc., and any guidance this fine group of people can
> > offer.

> I know this is going to be no help, but I've never had much luck
> with kabobs unless I use tenderloin. The veggies burn before the
> meat is cooked. I do pure meat skewers instead. Do the veggies
> in a grill basket or on thier own skewers.

Second this, the mixed ingredients in a single kebab is an American
thing that looks nice, but isn't very practical unless you cheat and
precook some of the components to equalize the cooking times. One per
skewer, cooked the proper length of time and then de-skewered and served
on a platter is the way to do it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:15:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:21:53 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to grill kebabs for a B-day bash tomorrow. I've got a
>> boneless leg of lamb, and I'm looking for a tried-and-true recipe,
>> marinade, rub, &tc., and any guidance this fine group of people can
>> offer.

>I know this is going to be no help, but I've never had much luck
>with kabobs unless I use tenderloin. The veggies burn before the
>meat is cooked. I do pure meat skewers instead. Do the veggies
>in a grill basket or on thier own skewers.
>
>-sw

Thanks guys, those suggestions are a given.

I went with the 'orange - lime marinade' recipe from epicurious.
Trimming the leg was a PITA; next time (if ever), I'll go with the
tenderloin.

And I'll keep you posted.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:21:53 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to grill kebabs for a B-day bash tomorrow. I've got a
> > boneless leg of lamb, and I'm looking for a tried-and-true recipe,
> > marinade, rub, &tc., and any guidance this fine group of people can
> > offer.

> I know this is going to be no help, but I've never had much luck
> with kabobs unless I use tenderloin. The veggies burn before the
> meat is cooked. I do pure meat skewers instead. Do the veggies
> in a grill basket or on thier own skewers.
>
> -sw

I concur.

I no longer mix meat and veggies on skewers either. They come out a LOT
better if you cook meat and veggies separately.

The cooking times are just too different...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Jun-2010, "Pete C." > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:21:53 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:
> >
> > > I've been asked to grill kebabs for a B-day bash tomorrow. I've got a
> > > boneless leg of lamb, and I'm looking for a tried-and-true recipe,
> > > marinade, rub, &tc., and any guidance this fine group of people can
> > > offer.

> > I know this is going to be no help, but I've never had much luck
> > with kabobs unless I use tenderloin. The veggies burn before the
> > meat is cooked. I do pure meat skewers instead. Do the veggies
> > in a grill basket or on thier own skewers.
> >

> Second this, the mixed ingredients in a single kebab is an American
> thing that looks nice, but isn't very practical unless you cheat and
> precook some of the components to equalize the cooking times. One per
> skewer, cooked the proper length of time and then de-skewered and served
> on a platter is the way to do it.

I'm going to third that. You can have burnt meat or raw veggies. Take your
pick. Separate sticks for each item is the only way to go to get everything
cooked right.

--
Brick said that