Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches)

Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches)

Hey kids,

So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.

Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?

TIA,

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/12/2010 12:01 PM, Chef Juke wrote:
Hey kids,

So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.

Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?

TIA,

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com

I normally consider getting about 60 percent of pulled pork from a butt.
Though I never weighed it accurately after the cook.

Lets consider 65 percent for this, being on a tighter budget.

A healthy sandwich to me is 1/3 lb. You will need approximately 65 lbs
of pulled pork. This is easy math... You will need approximately 100 lbs
of pork to start out with.

A pork shoulder is 11-14 lbs. Let's say average is 12. 8 pork shoulders
and a 7 lb butt will get you the 100 lbs. to start with.

Not sure of the cost of shoulders. Walmart Super store sells them
occasionally. Let's hope no more than $1.49 lb. Maybe a distributer can
get you a better price if they support the fundraiser.

Are you really going to pull all that? That's a lot of pulling !!
I went to a pig roast and instead of pulling, they sliced it. Fairly
thick. Maybe 1/2 inch or more. Made for a nice sandwich. Nice and
tender, easy eating.

Enjoy the cook.

BBQ
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?

4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.

17 sandwiches per butt.

I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
at each calculation/estimation.

-sw

Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
being 7 lbs.

We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)

BBQ
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq

On 6/12/2010 1:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:33:59 -0500, bbq wrote:

A pork shoulder is 11-14 lbs. Let's say average is 12. 8 pork shoulders
and a 7 lb butt will get you the 100 lbs. to start with.

A whole shoulder, but he said butts. A boneless butt from CostCo
is going to weight about 7-7.5lbs.

True. I forgot he specified butt as I was typing out my response.
The boneless butts at Cub are around 4-5 lbs. Kinda small. They are tied
up. After cooking, a PIA to cut and pull the string.

And you should be getting your butts at Costco even if they costs
an extra $.20/lb.

Have been to a Sams club around here. Never been to Costco though.

BBQ
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:
Hey kids,

So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.

Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?

What size hamburger buns were you thinking of using, Pat?

--
Dave

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" wrote in message
When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
complaints.

yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Old 13-06-2010, 12:03 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message
When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
complaints.

yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Well, who ever complained more that once?

--
Steve
Old 13-06-2010, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
Wallace wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message
When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were
no complaints.

yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Well, who ever complained more than once?

I think they called those guys "the volunteers" for additional duty.

Old 13-06-2010, 02:09 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Where I worked there were plenty. Gave those city boys beans and cornbread
once and the wanted it every week after that. Actually had toe commander
ask me to do that. Think after a point the complaints become be****in.

Old 13-06-2010, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" wrote in message
my spell checker tried to change the Bit**ing.

Thanks - I was struggling on that one!

Old 13-06-2010, 07:12 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 12, 4:03*pm, Steve Calvin wrote:
Wallace wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message
When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
person before the sauce. *This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
complaints.

yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army? *

Well, who ever complained more that once?

--
Steve

Nope, it's one of the basic enlisted soldiers rights to bitch all they
want. Just as it's the everyone elses right to ignore it.

Seriously, enlisted men take their right to bitch (mostly amongst
themselves) to heart, nobody messes with it either.
Old 13-06-2010, 05:02 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:44:58 -0500, bbq wrote:

On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?

4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.

17 sandwiches per butt.

I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
at each calculation/estimation.

-sw

Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
being 7 lbs.

Well, yeah--Sqwertz was meaning "4 1/2 lb of cooked meat" which is
about right for a 7 lb butt.

We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)

1/4 lb of meat is a pretty fair sized PP sandwich, really.

Old 14-06-2010, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Jun-2010, bbq wrote:

On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?

4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.

17 sandwiches per butt.

I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
at each calculation/estimation.

-sw

Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
being 7 lbs.

We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)

BBQ

Back when I started this smoking game, I weighed everything I cooked before
and after. You can count on butts to lose 40% minimum. Out typical butts
around here are 7 to about 8.5 lbs. Good average is about 7.5 lbs with bone.
Shredded and or chopped pork is pretty light per volumn. I'm afraid I have
never weighed the amount of meat that will fit on a bun, but I have to guess
at about 1/4 lb and maybe a bit less. (Without sauce). It'll be heavier if
you
mix sauce into it. Based on that I come out with 11 butts with no safety
factor. I'd cook 13. Cooks get grumpy if they have to turn hungry people
away. You have to allow for male teen agers also. They tend to eat three
times as much as their femaile peers.

--
Brick (Stumbling around in the dark)