Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Mass market bbq sauce.

Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.

Blues Hog. Big Jim and TFM turned me on to it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

none of it all that, could you share your recipe, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.
>
> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.
>
> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop,
ceed >spewed forth:
> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
> been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
> standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
> store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not
> too tomato flavored.

I don't know if they're MASS marketed but my first choice is

http://www.headcountry.com/Catalog.aspx?ID=4

then

http://aobbq.com/
http://www.bizrate.com/miscellaneous...own-bbq-sauce/

then

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/original.php

all of these are readily available at most grocers here in N. Texas
YMMV

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I buy the stuff on sale and use it as a base. Lately, I have been
buying Sweet Baby Ray's because they have the large sizes at Big Lots
pretty cheap.

I don't use sauce on anything but pulled pork. Not on brisket
(NEVER!), chicken, or even pork chops. Just one quick pass on ribs,
and a super thinned version on pulled pork.

I cut the sauce from the bottle at least 50/50 with apple cider
vinegar, then add onion flakes, black pepper, a little salt, and some
red pepper flakes, all to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes and it's
ready.

If we don't have company that might want to use it, a bottle of
barbecue sauce can last me for months. Still, it is a cheap and
convenient base for better things.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:29:54 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee
>"ceed" > wrote in message
>newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
>> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
>> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
>> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.
>>
>> --
>> //ceed

I'll use Stubs in a pinch, followed by Sweet Baby Rays. But these are
emergency situations.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the third link is what we usually get Lee
"ChairMan" > wrote in message
.com...
> In newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop,
> ceed >spewed forth:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
>> been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
>> standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
>> store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not
>> too tomato flavored.

> I don't know if they're MASS marketed but my first choice is
>
> http://www.headcountry.com/Catalog.aspx?ID=4
>
> then
>
> http://aobbq.com/
> http://www.bizrate.com/miscellaneous...own-bbq-sauce/
>
> then
>
> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/
>
> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/original.php
>

> all of these are readily available at most grocers here in N. Texas
> YMMV

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed > wrote in
newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop:

> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
> been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
> standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
> store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not
> too tomato flavored.

ceed,

Can you find 'Open Pit'? One of the last sauces that isn't smoke
flavored. its been on the market for 30 years.
The so called original Kraft isn't. Its now smoke flavored and it
wasn't originally.

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

SeeSig>(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:28:52 -0500, Stormmee >
wrote:

> none of it all that, could you share your recipe, Lee

Barbecue Sauce

3 bottles Heinz chili sauce
1/2 cup Heinz 57 sauce
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
1 1/2 cup good quality apple cider vinegar (reduce a little if you want it
less tangy)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cup brewed strong black coffee (french roast, but not espresso which
is too strong for this)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients. Simmer for (at least!) 20 minutes.

This is not a purist sauce and some will frown upon the liquid smoke, so
I'm not expecting everyone to like this, but my family and guests sure do!

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:29:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
>> been
>> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard
>> Kraft
>> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
>> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato
>> flavored.

> Try the "HEB Specialties" branded BBQ sauces. It's not "mass
> market", but I figure that really wasn't a requirement.
> There are four "flavors". Memphis, Carolina, Texas, and ...
> Podunk(?). Look for the round bottles with foiled caps at a
> chest-level shelf, not the lower shelves where that $.99 crap is.
> If you like sweet and dark, I think that's Texas or Podunk (Texas
> has heat, too). I use the Carolina 90% of the time. I['m not
> even sure if I've tried any of the others except Texas.

In Texas HEB /is/ mass market. What I meant was readily available, and HEB
surely is! I will try one of those sauces.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee

I find Stubb's to me too tomatoey and light. Good for those who likes that
kind of thing

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:01:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:16:36 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> http://aobbq.com/

> Austin's Own BBQ sauce: I tried this one when they were sampling
> this at Whole Foods and my reaction was immediate and obvious,
> especially when you ask for water to rinse out your mouth. There
> was way too much liquid smoke, and I let it be known.

You won't like my home made sauce that much then. I use liquid smoke!

> Turns out that was the founder/owner. She got my valuable
> feedback that day. They seemed to have toned it down since then,
> but it's still nasty.

LOL. Good story, and I guess there can be too much liquid smoke....

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:14:03 -0500, piedmont > wrote:

> ceed,
> Can you find 'Open Pit'? One of the last sauces that isn't smoke
> flavored. its been on the market for 30 years.
> The so called original Kraft isn't. Its now smoke flavored and it
> wasn't originally.

I add liquid smoke to my home made one. I do not like it that much myself,
but kids and wife demand it, so I do it. I will look int Open Pit also.
Thanks!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6/10/2010 8:13 PM, ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
> been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
> standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
> store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too
> tomato flavored.

If I have to use mass market, I like KC Masterpiece original. DH likes
Stubb's, but I think it might be regional.

It takes only minutes to make a decent BBQ sauce. At lest mine does.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sounds worth a try, thanks for sharing, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vd42nzop325jvr@christian-laptop...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:28:52 -0500, Stormmee >
> wrote:
>
>> none of it all that, could you share your recipe, Lee

> Barbecue Sauce
>
> 3 bottles Heinz chili sauce
> 1/2 cup Heinz 57 sauce
> 1 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
> 1 1/2 cup good quality apple cider vinegar (reduce a little if you want it
> less tangy)
> 3 tablespoons brown sugar
> 2 tablespoon molasses
> 2 tablespoons honey
> 1 1/2 cup brewed strong black coffee (french roast, but not espresso which
> is too strong for this)
> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
>
> Mix all ingredients. Simmer for (at least!) 20 minutes.
>
> This is not a purist sauce and some will frown upon the liquid smoke, so
> I'm not expecting everyone to like this, but my family and guests sure do!
>

>> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
>>> been
>>> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard
>>> Kraft
>>> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
>>> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato
>>> flavored.
>>>
>>> --
>>> //ceed

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

very accurate, description, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vd42rmly325jvr@christian-laptop...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:29:54 -0500, Stormmee >
> wrote:
>
>> I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee

> I find Stubb's to me too tomatoey and light. Good for those who likes that
> kind of thing
>
>> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
>>> been
>>> quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard
>>> Kraft
>>> and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
>>> barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato
>>> flavored.
>>>
>>> --
>>> //ceed

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6/11/2010 1:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:38:29 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> If I have to use mass market, I like KC Masterpiece original. DH likes
>> Stubb's, but I think it might be regional.

> I'm pretty sure Stubb's is a national brand nowadays. They attend
> a lot of the BBQ festivals and homless shelters across the U.S.
> But never in Texas.
>
> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/ftw_tour_schedule.php
>
> -sw

Strange. I thought they were a Texas company

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet,

I meant to ask you fror your sauce did you say you could do it in 20 mins?

Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 6/11/2010 1:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:38:29 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> If I have to use mass market, I like KC Masterpiece original. DH likes
>>> Stubb's, but I think it might be regional.

>> I'm pretty sure Stubb's is a national brand nowadays. They attend
>> a lot of the BBQ festivals and homless shelters across the U.S.
>> But never in Texas.
>>
>> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/ftw_tour_schedule.php
>>
>> -sw

> Strange. I thought they were a Texas company
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I buy stubbs online.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> Janet,
>
> I meant to ask you fror your sauce did you say you could do it in 20 mins?
>
> Lee
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>>> I'm pretty sure Stubb's is a national brand nowadays. They attend
>>> a lot of the BBQ festivals and homless shelters across the U.S.
>>> But never in Texas.
>>>
>>> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/ftw_tour_schedule.php
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Strange. I thought they were a Texas company
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

we have it locally here, not all the selections on line but most of the
sauces and some of the rubs... want me to get you some? Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
>I buy stubbs online.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> Janet,
>>
>> I meant to ask you fror your sauce did you say you could do it in 20
>> mins?
>>
>> Lee

>>> Strange. I thought they were a Texas company
>>>
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <op.vd42u8bi325jvr@christian-laptop>,
ceed > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:01:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:16:36 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
> >
> >> http://aobbq.com/

> > Austin's Own BBQ sauce: I tried this one when they were sampling
> > this at Whole Foods and my reaction was immediate and obvious,
> > especially when you ask for water to rinse out your mouth. There
> > was way too much liquid smoke, and I let it be known.

> You won't like my home made sauce that much then. I use liquid smoke!
> >
> > Turns out that was the founder/owner. She got my valuable
> > feedback that day. They seemed to have toned it down since then,
> > but it's still nasty.

> LOL. Good story, and I guess there can be too much liquid smoke....
> >
> > -sw

When I do use that stuff (which is rarely), I use it drop-wise...
I bought two little bottles of the stuff on Swertz's advice about 3
years ago. They are good, but they will last a very long time. <G>

I bought Mesquite and Hickory.
--
Peace! Om

Â*Only Irish Â*coffee provides in a single glass all four Â*essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar Â*and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 12:18 AM, Omelet wrote:

> When I do use that stuff (which is rarely), I use it drop-wise...
> I bought two little bottles of the stuff on Swertz's advice about 3
> years ago. They are good, but they will last a very long time.<G>
>
> I bought Mesquite and Hickory.

My mom used to make spare ribs, slow cooked in the oven, with a sauce
that included Hickory Liquid Smoke. I probably could have eaten a whole
rack of them or more, plus the sides. No way could she make enough to
have left overs. I would be there finish up what was left, if any. I was
12/13 the last time I remember having those.

I am not one that says "No Liquid Smoke ever". It does have it
advantages. But I do prefer the WSM smoked spares that I make now.

For a Mass Market sauce, Famous Dave's has a few that I use
occasionally. The Rich & Sassy flavor is the most common. I added just a
touch, maybe 1 tbs, to a can of baked beans. Sister commented that they
were pretty spicy. Told her what I added and she thought she got the
Sassy part ! I think it is pretty mild.

The Texas Pit flavor has quite a kick, but no new words are invented ;-)

I know Famous Dave's as a restaurant is national. I don't know if there
sauces are available nationally though.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:47:27 -0500, Stormmee >
wrote:

> sounds worth a try, thanks for sharing, Lee

If you do try it and make improvements, please share!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just got an order, will check key it out next time I come that way.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> we have it locally here, not all the selections on line but most of the
> sauces and some of the rubs... want me to get you some? Lee
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>>I buy stubbs online.
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> Janet,
>>>
>>> I meant to ask you fror your sauce did you say you could do it in 20
>>> mins?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 12:18 AM, Omelet wrote:
>

> > When I do use that stuff (which is rarely), I use it drop-wise...
> > I bought two little bottles of the stuff on Swertz's advice about 3
> > years ago. They are good, but they will last a very long time.<G>
> >
> > I bought Mesquite and Hickory.

> My mom used to make spare ribs, slow cooked in the oven, with a sauce
> that included Hickory Liquid Smoke. I probably could have eaten a whole
> rack of them or more, plus the sides. No way could she make enough to
> have left overs. I would be there finish up what was left, if any. I was
> 12/13 the last time I remember having those.
>
> I am not one that says "No Liquid Smoke ever". It does have it
> advantages. But I do prefer the WSM smoked spares that I make now.

I'll bet. :-)

I still have yet to attempt smoking pork ribs. I've never even
purchased them. I _have_ done some of those huge beef ribs twice tho'.
I braised them first fat side up with a seasoning in my 18 qt. roaster,
then finished them off out in the offset to make them taste right. Made
a huge difference too. <g>

That method worked well. I got moist, tender, smoky ribs with most of
the fat cooked off.

> For a Mass Market sauce, Famous Dave's has a few that I use
> occasionally. The Rich & Sassy flavor is the most common. I added just a
> touch, maybe 1 tbs, to a can of baked beans. Sister commented that they
> were pretty spicy. Told her what I added and she thought she got the
> Sassy part ! I think it is pretty mild.

Interesting idea! Most of the time, when I want commercial BBQ sauce, I
just purchase Kraft regular/original. I really do like it when I'm in
the mood for it which is not often. I've nuked chicken in a covered
corningware in the microwave with it. It has to be cooked tho' to make
it taste right to me.

> The Texas Pit flavor has quite a kick, but no new words are invented ;-)
>
> I know Famous Dave's as a restaurant is national. I don't know if there
> sauces are available nationally though.
>
> BBQ

Not sure.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 8:39 AM, Omelet wrote:

> I still have yet to attempt smoking pork ribs. I've never even
> purchased them. I _have_ done some of those huge beef ribs twice tho'.
> I braised them first fat side up with a seasoning in my 18 qt. roaster,
> then finished them off out in the offset to make them taste right. Made
> a huge difference too.<g>
>
> That method worked well. I got moist, tender, smoky ribs with most of
> the fat cooked off.

Nice idea to pre-cook. I don't do beef ribs often. It's not on sale
that often.

Try spares sometime. Around here they are often $1.99 lb. Sometimes
$1.49 lb. Trim em up St Louis style, rub and cook on the offset, 3-5
hours is my experience.

>> For a Mass Market sauce, Famous Dave's has a few that I use
>> occasionally. The Rich& Sassy flavor is the most common. I added just a
>> touch, maybe 1 tbs, to a can of baked beans. Sister commented that they
>> were pretty spicy. Told her what I added and she thought she got the
>> Sassy part ! I think it is pretty mild.

> Interesting idea! Most of the time, when I want commercial BBQ sauce, I
> just purchase Kraft regular/original. I really do like it when I'm in
> the mood for it which is not often. I've nuked chicken in a covered
> corningware in the microwave with it. It has to be cooked tho' to make
> it taste right to me.

I don't make beans from dry beans often, but I do like to add my own
touch to the canned beans sometimes.

Sauces I don't make often either. Even though I have umpteen recipes
for it ;-) I did make an Orange Barbecue Sauce last summer that I liked
on some pork chops. Good for chicken to. Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle
Barbecue Sauce is one I have wanted to try for a long time. Just never
got around to it ;-(

>> The Texas Pit flavor has quite a kick, but no new words are invented ;-)
>>
>> I know Famous Dave's as a restaurant is national. I don't know if there
>> sauces are available nationally though.
>>

> Not sure.

You could always go into a Famous Dave's and ask for say 20 packets and
get your own sampler bottle ;-) The Rich & Sassy is flavorful, but
pretty mild IMO.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 8:39 AM, Omelet wrote:
>

> > I still have yet to attempt smoking pork ribs. I've never even
> > purchased them. I _have_ done some of those huge beef ribs twice tho'.
> > I braised them first fat side up with a seasoning in my 18 qt. roaster,
> > then finished them off out in the offset to make them taste right. Made
> > a huge difference too.<g>
> >
> > That method worked well. I got moist, tender, smoky ribs with most of
> > the fat cooked off.
> >

> Nice idea to pre-cook. I don't do beef ribs often. It's not on sale
> that often.

I generally hold out until they are $.99 per lb. <g>
Pre-cooking eliminates the risk of them drying out and they tend to be
tough if not cooked long enough.

> Try spares sometime. Around here they are often $1.99 lb. Sometimes
> $1.49 lb. Trim em up St Louis style, rub and cook on the offset, 3-5
> hours is my experience.

Tented in foil or no?

> >> For a Mass Market sauce, Famous Dave's has a few that I use
> >> occasionally. The Rich& Sassy flavor is the most common. I added just a
> >> touch, maybe 1 tbs, to a can of baked beans. Sister commented that they
> >> were pretty spicy. Told her what I added and she thought she got the
> >> Sassy part ! I think it is pretty mild.

> > Interesting idea! Most of the time, when I want commercial BBQ sauce, I
> > just purchase Kraft regular/original. I really do like it when I'm in
> > the mood for it which is not often. I've nuked chicken in a covered
> > corningware in the microwave with it. It has to be cooked tho' to make
> > it taste right to me.
> >

> I don't make beans from dry beans often, but I do like to add my own
> touch to the canned beans sometimes.

Nothing wrong with canned beans imho. <G>

> Sauces I don't make often either. Even though I have umpteen recipes
> for it ;-) I did make an Orange Barbecue Sauce last summer that I liked
> on some pork chops. Good for chicken to. Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle
> Barbecue Sauce is one I have wanted to try for a long time. Just never
> got around to it ;-(

I need to get serious about trying to imitate Cisco's Raspberry
Vinnegrette. It was WONDerful. I had it at a banquet and believe it'd
make an excellent sauce for a lot of things. I've not been successful in
finding a copycat recipe thru google. <sigh>

From the taste of it, it was primarily vinegar and raspberry jelly.

> >> The Texas Pit flavor has quite a kick, but no new words are invented ;-)
> >>
> >> I know Famous Dave's as a restaurant is national. I don't know if there
> >> sauces are available nationally though.
> >>

> > Not sure.

> You could always go into a Famous Dave's and ask for say 20 packets and
> get your own sampler bottle ;-) The Rich & Sassy is flavorful, but
> pretty mild IMO.
>
> BBQ

I'm not a fan any more of really really hot stuff.
It does nasty things to my intestines and causes a great deal of serious
pain...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 4:08 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/2010 8:39 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>

>>> I still have yet to attempt smoking pork ribs. I've never even
>>> purchased them. I _have_ done some of those huge beef ribs twice tho'.
>>> I braised them first fat side up with a seasoning in my 18 qt. roaster,
>>> then finished them off out in the offset to make them taste right. Made
>>> a huge difference too.<g>
>>>
>>> That method worked well. I got moist, tender, smoky ribs with most of
>>> the fat cooked off.
>>>

>> Nice idea to pre-cook. I don't do beef ribs often. It's not on sale
>> that often.

> I generally hold out until they are $.99 per lb.<g>
> Pre-cooking eliminates the risk of them drying out and they tend to be
> tough if not cooked long enough.
>

>> Try spares sometime. Around here they are often $1.99 lb. Sometimes
>> $1.49 lb. Trim em up St Louis style, rub and cook on the offset, 3-5
>> hours is my experience.

> Tented in foil or no?

No foil needed. Unless they are done much earlier then you want to eat.
Then wrap in foil and place in a cooler. Some fill the cooler with
towels to help retain some heat.

I cook mine to about 185°. If getting done earlier then wanted probably
take them off sooner, so they don't literally fall off the
bone when eating them. A slight tug eating them is a good sign of a
good job.

For reheating the next day in a nuker, wrap at least 1/3 rack
unseparated in paper towels. This will help maintain the moisture.

For trimming St Louis Style, Kili and TFM did a Video in yENC a few
years back. I think I have all the parts. If you want to view it and
need them, let me know and I can e-mail them to you. (The only yENC I
viewed from ABF) ! Good Video.

>>> Interesting idea! Most of the time, when I want commercial BBQ sauce, I
>>> just purchase Kraft regular/original. I really do like it when I'm in
>>> the mood for it which is not often. I've nuked chicken in a covered
>>> corningware in the microwave with it. It has to be cooked tho' to make
>>> it taste right to me.
>>>

>> I don't make beans from dry beans often, but I do like to add my own
>> touch to the canned beans sometimes.

> Nothing wrong with canned beans imho.<G>

Well, still watching sodium intake. Canned has lots of it !!! Though
they do have a low sodium Black Beans that I use for Chili, Goulash.

But yea, canned can be just a starter, can add whatever you like,
spices, herbs, pork, etc to give it your touch ! I frequently cook up
the skirt part of spares and cut that up and add to beans. The skirt
part is identified in the Kili/TFM video.

>> Sauces I don't make often either. Even though I have umpteen recipes
>> for it ;-) I did make an Orange Barbecue Sauce last summer that I liked
>> on some pork chops. Good for chicken to. Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle
>> Barbecue Sauce is one I have wanted to try for a long time. Just never
>> got around to it ;-(

> I need to get serious about trying to imitate Cisco's Raspberry
> Vinnegrette. It was WONDerful. I had it at a banquet and believe it'd
> make an excellent sauce for a lot of things. I've not been successful in
> finding a copycat recipe thru google.<sigh>
>
> From the taste of it, it was primarily vinegar and raspberry jelly.

Bummer. I thought Google had everything !

I had a Raspberry Vinaigrette salad dressing. Yea, it was WONDERFUL.
Wondering if it is possible to use that as a base for a sauce.

>>> Not sure.

>> You could always go into a Famous Dave's and ask for say 20 packets and
>> get your own sampler bottle ;-) The Rich& Sassy is flavorful, but
>> pretty mild IMO.
>>
>> BBQ

> I'm not a fan any more of really really hot stuff.
> It does nasty things to my intestines and causes a great deal of serious
> pain...

I never cared for really, really hot stuff. Too much heat from peppers
destroys the enjoyment of the food. If I am 'inventing' new words, it's
too hot :-) But I do like a really good kick.

Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.

I think you would like the Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bbq > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.

Its definitely got a kick! Its also got a nice rich smoky flavor. Up to a
half dozen different kinds of chile peppers. I think he uses hickory for
the smoke. A little goes a long way. For a salsa, try this:

4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 to 1 tsp BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend to taste (Heh! Heh! Heh!)
2 tsp ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Let rest in
'fridge for 1/2 hour before testing.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 5:43 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.

> Its definitely got a kick! Its also got a nice rich smoky flavor. Up to a
> half dozen different kinds of chile peppers. I think he uses hickory for
> the smoke. A little goes a long way. For a salsa, try this:
>
> 4 cups chopped tomatoes
> 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
> 1/4 to 1 tsp BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend to taste (Heh! Heh! Heh!)
> 2 tsp ground cumin
>
> Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Let rest in
> 'fridge for 1/2 hour before testing.

Salsa by Nick - With a little help from BBQ. Love it!!!

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bbq > wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 5:43 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.

> > Its definitely got a kick! Its also got a nice rich smoky flavor. Up to
> > a half dozen different kinds of chile peppers. I think he uses hickory
> > for the smoke. A little goes a long way. For a salsa, try this:
> >
> > 4 cups chopped tomatoes
> > 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
> > 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
> > 1/4 to 1 tsp BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend to taste (Heh! Heh! Heh!)
> > 2 tsp ground cumin
> >
> > Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Let rest
> > in 'fridge for 1/2 hour before testing.

> Salsa by Nick - With a little help from BBQ. Love it!!!

Actually, I don't remember where I got the recipe. It called for canned
Chipotles in Adobo Sauce. I changed that to BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend. I
got the 'let it rest for 1/2 hour before testing' from you. The (Heh! Heh!
Heh!) was a caveat to start with 1/4 tsp and work your way up.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/13/2010 4:09 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Its definitely got a kick! Its also got a nice rich smoky flavor. Up to
>>> a half dozen different kinds of chile peppers. I think he uses hickory
>>> for the smoke. A little goes a long way. For a salsa, try this:
>>>
>>> 4 cups chopped tomatoes
>>> 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
>>> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
>>> 1/4 to 1 tsp BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend to taste (Heh! Heh! Heh!)
>>> 2 tsp ground cumin
>>>
>>> Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Let rest
>>> in 'fridge for 1/2 hour before testing.

>> Salsa by Nick - With a little help from BBQ. Love it!!!

> Actually, I don't remember where I got the recipe. It called for canned
> Chipotles in Adobo Sauce. I changed that to BBQ's Chipotle Pepper Blend. I
> got the 'let it rest for 1/2 hour before testing' from you. The (Heh! Heh!
> Heh!) was a caveat to start with 1/4 tsp and work your way up.

I am confused at what point can you modify someone else's recipe and be
able to say it is yours'. You think Alton Browns recipes are original?

I don't think so. All are modified from some other recipe he has tested.

I got this saved as "Nicks Salsa" and will make it the when I make a
blend my 2010 Chipotle Pepper Blend.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> > Tented in foil or no?
> >

> No foil needed. Unless they are done much earlier then you want to eat.
> Then wrap in foil and place in a cooler. Some fill the cooler with
> towels to help retain some heat.

I've never tried that technique. Finishes cooking them without them
drying out?

> I cook mine to about 185°. If getting done earlier then wanted probably
> take them off sooner, so they don't literally fall off the
> bone when eating them. A slight tug eating them is a good sign of a
> good job.

I totally agree!

> For reheating the next day in a nuker, wrap at least 1/3 rack
> unseparated in paper towels. This will help maintain the moisture.
>
> For trimming St Louis Style, Kili and TFM did a Video in yENC a few
> years back. I think I have all the parts. If you want to view it and
> need them, let me know and I can e-mail them to you. (The only yENC I
> viewed from ABF) ! Good Video.

I might be able to view it on the laptop if send to gmail?

> > Nothing wrong with canned beans imho.<G>
> >>

> Well, still watching sodium intake. Canned has lots of it !!! Though
> they do have a low sodium Black Beans that I use for Chili, Goulash.
>
> But yea, canned can be just a starter, can add whatever you like,
> spices, herbs, pork, etc to give it your touch ! I frequently cook up
> the skirt part of spares and cut that up and add to beans. The skirt
> part is identified in the Kili/TFM video.

I do try to purchase no salt added canned veggies but have yet to find
them in beans.

> > I need to get serious about trying to imitate Cisco's Raspberry
> > Vinnegrette. It was WONDerful. I had it at a banquet and believe it'd
> > make an excellent sauce for a lot of things. I've not been successful in
> > finding a copycat recipe thru google.<sigh>
> >
> > From the taste of it, it was primarily vinegar and raspberry jelly.
> >>

> Bummer. I thought Google had everything !

I wish. <g>

> I had a Raspberry Vinaigrette salad dressing. Yea, it was WONDERFUL.
> Wondering if it is possible to use that as a base for a sauce.

That's what I was thinking. Might be the gods on duck for instance.

> > I'm not a fan any more of really really hot stuff.
> > It does nasty things to my intestines and causes a great deal of serious
> > pain...

> I never cared for really, really hot stuff. Too much heat from peppers
> destroys the enjoyment of the food. If I am 'inventing' new words, it's
> too hot :-) But I do like a really good kick.
>
> Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.
>
> I think you would like the Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy.
>
> BBQ

I might get brave... ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10-Jun-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee
> "ceed" > wrote in message
> newsp.vd320ra1325jvr@christian-laptop...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
> > been
> > quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard
> > Kraft
> > and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
> > barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato
> > flavored.
> >
> > --
> > //ceed

I don't use much sauce myself, but my guests like Sweet Baby Ray's
and Stubbs original. (Actually, they'll eat anything that isn't locked up)

--
Brick (The democracy will cease to exist
when you take away from those

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bbq > wrote:
> On 6/13/2010 4:09 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > > wrote:

> >> Salsa by Nick - With a little help from BBQ. Love it!!!

> > Actually, I don't remember where I got the recipe. It called for canned
> > Chipotles in Adobo Sauce. I changed that to BBQ's Chipotle Pepper
> > Blend. I got the 'let it rest for 1/2 hour before testing' from you.
> > The (Heh! Heh! Heh!) was a caveat to start with 1/4 tsp and work your
> > way up.
> >

> I am confused at what point can you modify someone else's recipe and be
> able to say it is yours'. You think Alton Browns recipes are original?
>
> I don't think so. All are modified from some other recipe he has tested.
>
> I got this saved as "Nicks Salsa" and will make it the when I make a
> blend my 2010 Chipotle Pepper Blend.

I never said it was mine. I said, "For a salsa, try this:"

In a later post, I said, "Actually, I don't remember where I got the
recipe."

Thanks for memorializing that now it IS mine!

BTW I did find the original recipe.

chipotle salsa
Bon Appétit | September 1995

This salsa from Café Iguana in Denver, Colorado is terrific with
tortilla chips.

MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.

Kevin Taylor, Café Iguana, Denver, Colorado

3 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (sold
at Latin American markets)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Jun-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> bbq > wrote:

.. . .

http://www.famousbbqsauce.com/bbqshop.html

--
Brick blurted that out.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/13/2010 3:58 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Tented in foil or no?
>>>

>> No foil needed. Unless they are done much earlier then you want to eat.
>> Then wrap in foil and place in a cooler. Some fill the cooler with
>> towels to help retain some heat.

> I've never tried that technique. Finishes cooking them without them
> drying out?

No they won't dry out if wrapped in foil. I don't know how long they
can be wrapped in foil and keep warm. At least an hour, I would think.

>> I cook mine to about 185°. If getting done earlier then wanted probably
>> take them off sooner, so they don't literally fall off the
>> bone when eating them. A slight tug eating them is a good sign of a
>> good job.

> I totally agree!
>

>> For reheating the next day in a nuker, wrap at least 1/3 rack
>> unseparated in paper towels. This will help maintain the moisture.
>>
>> For trimming St Louis Style, Kili and TFM did a Video in yENC a few
>> years back. I think I have all the parts. If you want to view it and
>> need them, let me know and I can e-mail them to you. (The only yENC I
>> viewed from ABF) ! Good Video.

> I might be able to view it on the laptop if send to gmail?

I sent it off combined all the parts into 1 large file.

>>> Nothing wrong with canned beans imho.<G>
>>>>

>> Well, still watching sodium intake. Canned has lots of it !!! Though
>> they do have a low sodium Black Beans that I use for Chili, Goulash.
>>
>> But yea, canned can be just a starter, can add whatever you like,
>> spices, herbs, pork, etc to give it your touch ! I frequently cook up
>> the skirt part of spares and cut that up and add to beans. The skirt
>> part is identified in the Kili/TFM video.

> I do try to purchase no salt added canned veggies but have yet to find
> them in beans.
>
>>> I need to get serious about trying to imitate Cisco's Raspberry
>>> Vinnegrette. It was WONDerful. I had it at a banquet and believe it'd
>>> make an excellent sauce for a lot of things. I've not been successful in
>>> finding a copycat recipe thru google.<sigh>
>>>
>>> From the taste of it, it was primarily vinegar and raspberry jelly.
>>>>

>> Bummer. I thought Google had everything !

> I wish.<g>
>>
>> I had a Raspberry Vinaigrette salad dressing. Yea, it was WONDERFUL.
>> Wondering if it is possible to use that as a base for a sauce.

> That's what I was thinking. Might be the gods on duck for instance.

Never tried duck.

>>> I'm not a fan any more of really really hot stuff.
>>> It does nasty things to my intestines and causes a great deal of serious
>>> pain...

>> I never cared for really, really hot stuff. Too much heat from peppers
>> destroys the enjoyment of the food. If I am 'inventing' new words, it's
>> too hot :-) But I do like a really good kick.
>>
>> Ask Nick about my Chipotle Pepper Blend.
>>
>> I think you would like the Famous Dave's Rich& Sassy.
>>
>> BBQ

> I might get brave... ;-)

Let me know how you like it if you try it ! I don't think the Rich &
Sassy is spicy, but maybe you will..

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> >> Bummer. I thought Google had everything !

> > I wish.<g>
> >>
> >> I had a Raspberry Vinaigrette salad dressing. Yea, it was WONDERFUL.
> >> Wondering if it is possible to use that as a base for a sauce.

> > That's what I was thinking. Might be the gods on duck for instance.

> Never tried duck.

Duck is different. A bold exception to the "everything tastes like
chicken" rule. <g>

Goose is too, but expensive.

I really do like them both if domestically farmed.
--
Peace! Om