Best wood for beef?

Old 23-05-2010, 08:30 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best wood for beef?

SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.
Old 23-05-2010, 09:05 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chemiker wrote:
SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I only use mesquite for high temperature grilling; it is way too 'iffy' for
bbq. Any of the others will work just fine, although I am partial to pecan.

--
Dave

Old 23-05-2010, 09:13 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 May 2010 14:30:14 -0500, Chemiker
wrote:

SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

I mostly mix oak or pecan with one fruit tree wood for beef. It's always
oak and apple for brisket though. Stay away from mesquite unless you are
very sure that's the flavor you want and do not mind that everything
tastes like mesquite for the next few months (or you are from Texas.. )
Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

--
//ceed
Old 23-05-2010, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chemiker wrote:
SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

If I were you I'd go with the pecan and maybe some apple mixed in.

--
Steve
Old 23-05-2010, 09:34 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:28:43 -0500, Steve Calvin
wrote:

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

Mesquite is good if you like the flavor. Some do, others don't

If I were you I'd go with the pecan and maybe some apple mixed in.

Agreed.

--
//ceed
Old 23-05-2010, 09:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

Mesquite is good if you like the flavor. Some do, others don't

True enough. My 'beef' with mesquite has never been about the flavor per se.
It is more about the ease of crossing the line from flavor to absolute
putrid bitterness. I learned early, and nearly ruined an ECB in the process
(it wanted to retain the bitterness from the smoke and pass it on during
other bbq sessions). Mesquite also burns 'hotter' than most other woods, so
it is more difficult to control for bbq cooking. To use mesquite, one should
always remain diligent and be very cautious.
--
Dave

Old 23-05-2010, 09:57 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chemiker" wrote in message
SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

I'd go with the oak, but the others would probably work well too.

Old 23-05-2010, 10:17 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on my BBQ when I combine oak and
mesquite. I start the fire and get a bed of coals with post oak, then
toss on a bit of mesquite. I have plenty of both.

I also have quite a bit of hackberry to use up now (once it dries out)
and that burns long and hot but I add oak to that also.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 23-05-2010, 10:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

Mesquite is good if you like the flavor. Some do, others don't

If I were you I'd go with the pecan and maybe some apple mixed in.

Agreed.

Thank you guys for your input. Fire's about ready, the meat has been
rubbed, and I will go with the Pecan and apple.

Alex
Old 23-05-2010, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

Chemiker wrote:
SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

If I were you I'd go with the pecan and maybe some apple mixed in.

Mesquite is meant to be used with a light hand. I learned that the hard
way once when I used just mesquite for smoking as I have a lot of it at
the moment.

I'll never do that again!

It's working fine for me now tho' as a top dressing in small amounts.
--
Peace! Om

Old 23-05-2010, 10:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
"Dave Bugg" wrote:

True enough. My 'beef' with mesquite has never been about the flavor per se.
It is more about the ease of crossing the line from flavor to absolute
putrid bitterness.

Yep! Bitter is right! I tried rescuing the meat by stewing it in the
crockpot to dilute it out, but just ended up wasting those extra
ingredients. Even the dogs would not eat it!

I still use mesquite because I do like the flavor, but I'll never again
use it straight!
--
Peace! Om

Old 23-05-2010, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 23 May 2010 14:30:14 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

Alex,

there isn't a 'traditional' 'smoking' wood for beef brisket IMHO,
although it seems a few q'rs in texas are drawn towards mesquite as a
fuel, you know, we all use what we have available to us in our locality.
but anyway, i wouldn't add smoke to a brisket. but that's my personal
preference.

--
´╗┐regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Old 23-05-2010, 10:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Chemiker spewed forth:
SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
I have the following woods available:

Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.

Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.

Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?

I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.

Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
smoked salt.

TIA and good cookin'.

Alex, checking out his library.

Pecan and oak, would be my choices

Old 24-05-2010, 12:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

IMO, the best use for mesquite is a campfire...

Mesquite is good if you like the flavor. Some do, others don't

True enough. My 'beef' with mesquite has never been about the flavor per se.
It is more about the ease of crossing the line from flavor to absolute
putrid bitterness. I learned early, and nearly ruined an ECB in the process
(it wanted to retain the bitterness from the smoke and pass it on during
other bbq sessions). Mesquite also burns 'hotter' than most other woods, so
it is more difficult to control for bbq cooking. To use mesquite, one should
always remain diligent and be very cautious.

Well, the campfire crack was more "tongue in cheek" but also semi-true
(for us anyhow)

We're definitely in the "others don't" camp for meats. SWMBO does love
me to do some chicken hinted with mesquite. So I do a bunch of that in
the wsm periodically and she vac seals it and into the freezer but on
meat, we're in the "no thank you" camp.... As said earlier, YMMV.
Some people love the flavor I guess, everyone has their own likes and
dislikes, which is part of what makes things interesting.

I'd still go with the pecan and maybe apple. ;-)

--
Steve
Old 24-05-2010, 12:45 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

Mesquite is meant to be used with a light hand. I learned that the hard
way once when I used just mesquite for smoking as I have a lot of it at
the moment.

I'll never do that again!

It's working fine for me now tho' as a top dressing in small amounts.

That's probably the best description of a good use of mesquite that I've
seen.

If I could use graphics, there'd be an applauding smilie here... ;-)

On poultry we do like a hint, on meat; no so much, but to each their own

--
Steve