Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber Summit gas rotisserie cooking question

I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
in less than 10 minutes.

I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
> I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
> liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
> Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
> rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
> in less than 10 minutes.
>
> I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
> but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
> and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
> experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
> almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why you
can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.

I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses, [
http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks ] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
That's what Id like to create in the back yard.

Good Luck,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/23/2010 10:25 AM, Kent wrote:
> "Mark > wrote in message
>> I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
>> liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
>> Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
>> rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
>> in less than 10 minutes.
>>
>> I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
>> but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
>> and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
>> experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
>> almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark
>>

> I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
> horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
> pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why you
> can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.
>
> I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
> steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses, [
> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks ] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
> just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
> That's what Id like to create in the back yard.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent

Tried one, short answer, no. I was able to get my neighbor's up to the
mid 800s, but a commercial operation like Ruth's works at 1200-1500f. I
don't think anything back yard can hit that, save for a grease fire ;-)

And you nailed it on the cold-smoking and salmon, back to Costco...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
> On 3/23/2010 10:25 AM, Kent wrote:
>> "Mark > wrote in message
>>> I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
>>> liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
>>> Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
>>> rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
>>> in less than 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
>>> but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
>>> and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
>>> experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
>>> almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark
>>>

>> I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
>> horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
>> pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why
>> you
>> can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.
>>
>> I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
>> steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses, [
>> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks ] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
>> just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
>> That's what Id like to create in the back yard.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Kent

> Tried one, short answer, no. I was able to get my neighbor's up to the mid
> 800s, but a commercial operation like Ruth's works at 1200-1500f. I don't
> think anything back yard can hit that, save for a grease fire ;-)
>
> And you nailed it on the cold-smoking and salmon, back to Costco...

The product used by Ruth Chris is made by a company called Salamandar.
Apparently it broils from above, like an oven. Costco has had a home version
of that made by the same company.

I like to make gravlax when I can get fresh wild salmon at decent? prices.
A senior lady in a high brow market told me she makes the gravlax, and then
paints a bit of liquid smoke on the raw fish to create cold smoked salmon.
Sacreligious, but I'm going to try it.

BTW Trader Joes has decent cold smoked salmon at decent prices. You can get
it in small packages.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/23/2010 2:13 PM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
>>> horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
>>> pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why
>>> you
>>> can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.
>>>
>>> I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
>>> steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses, [
>>> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks ] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
>>> just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
>>> That's what Id like to create in the back yard.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Tried one, short answer, no. I was able to get my neighbor's up to the mid
>> 800s, but a commercial operation like Ruth's works at 1200-1500f. I don't
>> think anything back yard can hit that, save for a grease fire ;-)
>>
>> And you nailed it on the cold-smoking and salmon, back to Costco...
>>

> The product used by Ruth Chris is made by a company called Salamandar.
> Apparently it broils from above, like an oven. Costco has had a home version
> of that made by the same company.

Check the prices, $1679 for a full unit! Wow.

> I like to make gravlax when I can get fresh wild salmon at decent? prices.
> A senior lady in a high brow market told me she makes the gravlax, and then
> paints a bit of liquid smoke on the raw fish to create cold smoked salmon.
> Sacreligious, but I'm going to try it.
>
> BTW Trader Joes has decent cold smoked salmon at decent prices. You can get
> it in small packages.
>
> Kent

I've had theirs, like the rest of their products, it's excellent.

I like the Costco Kasilof brand a lot too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 23, 11:25*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

> > I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
> > liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
> > Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
> > rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
> > in less than 10 minutes.

> > I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
> > but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
> > and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
> > experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
> > almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.

> > Thanks
> > Mark

> I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
> horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
> pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why you
> can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.
>
> I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
> steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses, [http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
> just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
> That's what Id like to create in the back yard.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

The searing is not via infrared. There is an extra vertical burner
between the two middle burners that gives extra heat output. There are
total 5 burners and another one under the smoker attachment. So far I
tried to sear a flank steak and it was not bad at all. Much better
searing than my old Genesis. I'll try more expensive cuts once I get
used to it.
I really love the heavy SS grates on this Summit. They don't get as
cruddy as enamel ones. BTW, the model I got is S470. Not cheap but way
way better than Genesis I had for 20 years or so. When I do have time
on my hands, WSM is still the only grill I trust for good Q. The
Summit has a SS smoker box on the side of the grate, but since there
is no fan, I'm not sure how smoke will get to the meat. Will try soon.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
On Mar 23, 11:25 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

> > I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
> > liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
> > Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
> > rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
> > in less than 10 minutes.

> > I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
> > but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
> > and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
> > experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
> > almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.

> > Thanks
> > Mark

> I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
> horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
> pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why
> you
> can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time.
>
> I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
> steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses,
> [http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
> just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
> That's what Id like to create in the back yard.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

The searing is not via infrared. There is an extra vertical burner
between the two middle burners that gives extra heat output. There are
total 5 burners and another one under the smoker attachment. So far I
tried to sear a flank steak and it was not bad at all. Much better
searing than my old Genesis. I'll try more expensive cuts once I get
used to it.
I really love the heavy SS grates on this Summit. They don't get as
cruddy as enamel ones. BTW, the model I got is S470. Not cheap but way
way better than Genesis I had for 20 years or so. When I do have time
on my hands, WSM is still the only grill I trust for good Q. The
Summit has a SS smoker box on the side of the grate, but since there
is no fan, I'm not sure how smoke will get to the meat. Will try soon.

That's very interesting. I've been wondering when Weber was going to give us
infrared burners on all their gas grills. I thought this was their first
step. As we know to sear meat you need infrared heat. That's why charcoal
sears.

Have you considered trying porceleinized cast iron grates? Cast iron holds
heat and sears much better than stainless steel. I was ready to junk my
Genesis until I replaced the enamel grates with cast iron. I'm still,
however, using charcoal 85% of the time, either in the Performer or the WSM.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 24, 1:56*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

> On Mar 23, 11:25 am, "Kent" > wrote:
>

> > "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message

> > > I've been using the Weber bullet (WSM) for ages and love it. Never
> > > liked the gas Webers since they didn't get hot enough for searing.
> > > Just picked up a new Summit SS NG that has a "searing station" and a
> > > rotisserie. Very impressive heat output I must say. Gets to over 700
> > > in less than 10 minutes.

> > > I tried using the spit with only the infrared burner (as per manual),
> > > but a friend told me that a better way is to use the bottom burners
> > > and lay a pan under the chickens. Just wanted to confirm with the
> > > experts here. The infrared only chickens came out ok but it took
> > > almost 2 hours for two 3 pound birds.

> > > Thanks
> > > Mark

> > I don't have specific experience with the Summit. I think it has three
> > horizontal burners as do most of the other Weber grills. I'd use the drip
> > pan under the middle burner and leave it off. I don't see any reason why
> > you
> > can't use the front and back burners, and the infrared at the same time..

> > I'm very interested in the infrared searing burner. Can it char grill a
> > steak like a steak at the Ruth Chris' steak houses,
> > [http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks] ,a steak without grill marks, but with
> > just char and pink rare edge to edge? Look at the NY strip on the menu.
> > That's what Id like to create in the back yard.

> > Good Luck,

> > Kent- Hide quoted text -

> The searing is not via infrared. There is an extra vertical burner
> between the two middle burners that gives extra heat output. There are
> total 5 burners and another one under the smoker attachment. So far I
> tried to sear a flank steak and it was not bad at all. Much better
> searing than my old Genesis. I'll try more expensive cuts once I get
> used to it.
> I really love the heavy SS grates on this Summit. They don't get as
> cruddy as enamel ones. BTW, the model I got is S470. Not cheap but way
> way better than Genesis I had for 20 years or so. When I do have time
> on my hands, WSM is still the only grill I trust for good Q. The
> Summit has a SS smoker box on the side of the grate, but since there
> is no fan, I'm not sure how smoke will get to the meat. Will try soon.
>
> That's very interesting. I've been wondering when Weber was going to give us
> infrared burners on all their gas grills. I thought this was their first
> step. As we know to sear meat you need infrared heat. That's why charcoal
> sears.
>
> Have you considered trying porceleinized cast iron grates? Cast iron holds
> heat and sears much better than stainless steel. I was ready to junk my
> Genesis until I replaced the enamel grates with cast iron. I'm still,
> however, using charcoal 85% of the time, either in the Performer or the WSM.
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

I don't actually know what infrared really means. The burner is gas,
only looks like some sort of ceramic is around it. Someone can explain
to me maybe the infrared terminology. Never tried the cast iron grates
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
On Mar 24, 1:56 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> [...]

> That's very interesting. I've been wondering when Weber was going to give
> us
> infrared burners on all their gas grills. I thought this was their first
> step. As we know to sear meat you need infrared heat. That's why charcoal
> sears.
>
> Have you considered trying porceleinized cast iron grates? Cast iron holds
> heat and sears much better than stainless steel. I was ready to junk my
> Genesis until I replaced the enamel grates with cast iron. I'm still,
> however, using charcoal 85% of the time, either in the Performer or the
> WSM.
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

I don't actually know what infrared really means. The burner is gas,
only looks like some sort of ceramic is around it. Someone can explain
to me maybe the infrared terminology. Never tried the cast iron grates

This should explain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue_grill .

With an infrared grill you get heat radiation up to 1000F or so depending on
how much you spend, and can grill a steakhouse seared steak, as you would
get at a Ruth Chris steakhouse. A NY strip there is $55! and I don't think
that includes your salad! The flame from a propane grill doesn't begin to do
that, as it doesn't have infrared radiation. Whatever sear you get is from
grate marks. A fraction of charcoal heat radiation is infrared, and you get
a much better sear to produce the char-rare steak. Straight infrared heat
radiation is hotter and the effect is greater. The infrared patent held by
the TEC company just expired, and now any grill company can now make an
infrared grill. At the moment a number of high buck companies are producing
infrared grills. One low buck company, Charbroil, has infrared grills. They
are cheap. I think they were produced with $/BTU in mind rather than heat
output. They're not hot enough.

I wish Weber would get on the bandwagon and produce an infrared grill. To
now they haven't. I'm really not surprised. Weber has excellent quality, and
customer service. There are a lot of simple things they could do to make
their grills and smokers much much better. That's a different subject.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> [...]

> get is from grate marks. A fraction of charcoal heat radiation is
> infrared, and you get a much better sear to produce the char-rare steak.
> Straight infrared heat radiation is hotter and the effect is greater. The
> infrared patent held by the TEC company just expired, and now any grill
> company can now make an infrared grill. At the moment a number of high
> buck companies are producing infrared grills. One low buck company,
> Charbroil, has infrared grills. They are cheap. I think they were produced
> with $/BTU in mind rather than heat output. They're not hot enough.
>
> I wish Weber would get on the bandwagon and produce an infrared grill. To
> now they haven't. I'm really not surprised. Weber has excellent quality,
> and customer service. There are a lot of simple things they could do to
> make their grills and smokers much much better. That's a different

One would think that a supposed doctor would have a better grasp on the
English language than Kent...

I called his number, a retard answered. I didn't feel like speaking to him
at the moment, so I hung up.

It'll take a lot of malt liquor to get me down to his level of conversation,
but I can do it!

TFM®