Propane adapters

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Propane adapters

Hi all,

I just had to replace an old propane grill and discovered that all the
new grills come with Type 1 connections.

My problem is that I have a number of propane tanks which have
built-in quick disconnect (i.e. they were not adapted, but came stock
with QD hardware). The tanks all have at least a few years of life
left in them and I would prefer not to replace them just now if I
don't have to.

Does anyone know of an adapter to connect a Type 1 grill to a QD tank?

Thanks,
George
Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:55:25 -0500, George Neuner
wrote:

Hi all,

I just had to replace an old propane grill and discovered that all the
new grills come with Type 1 connections.

My problem is that I have a number of propane tanks which have
built-in quick disconnect (i.e. they were not adapted, but came stock
with QD hardware). The tanks all have at least a few years of life
left in them and I would prefer not to replace them just now if I
don't have to.

Does anyone know of an adapter to connect a Type 1 grill to a QD tank?

Thanks,
George

Maybe you can find something he www.bigway.com

About Propane Cylinder Connectors...

The Federal government prohibited the sale and use of POL valves found
on older DoT type propane cylinders. (POL is an abbreviation for
Prest-O-Lite, for the company that first produced the valve). These
valves have the familiar female left-hand-thread in the valve and are
the type most of us currently have. Cylinders with this type valve
were discontinued beginning in the year 2000, and may no longer be
refilled. The old POL valves were replaced by a new Acme type which
uses a QCC (Quick Closing Coupling) connector. This connector has an
external (male) right-hand thread on the valve. A pigtail hose can be
connected and disconnected by hand... no wrench required. These valves
also have the old-style POL internal left-hand thread, so they can be
used directly in place of the old valves without modifying your RV. If
you like the no-tools convenience of new style connector you may want
to replace your pigtail hoses with new ones having the QCC connectors.
The new ACME or QCC valve also contains an OPD (Overfill Protection
Device). So you may find them called ACME valves, OPD valves or QCC
valves, depending on the supplier. The OPD feature prevents accidental
overfill of the cylinder. An internal float mechanism shuts off the
valve when the propane tank is 80% filled. The 20% empty space is
necessary to prevent the cylinder from venting large amounts of
propane when the temperature rises. (ASME type cylinders in most
motorhomes have had this OPD feature for many years). The new OPD
valve also contains another safety feature - it will not release gas
unless the pigtail hose is properly connected, even with the valve
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I checked Bigway, but AFAICS they have nothing
suitable.

My tanks are _not_ POL with quick-disconnect adapters ... if they were
I could get QCC1-POL adapters and be done. My tanks have a
_one_piece_ female quick-disconnect valve with OPD - there are no
threaded openings at all. There is no manufacturer name visible on
the valve.

I've been told I can swap empty tanks for new Type-1 tanks, but I have
2 full tanks and another that is ~90% (about $80 worth of gas total).
The local propane vendors won't take tanks back unless they're empty
.... or unless I let them vent the tanks and eat the cost of the gas.
They all claim the state does not allow them to pump gas out of
portable tanks into their own storage and that is the only way they
could transfer the gas to new tanks (this may be bullshit but I've
heard the same story from 3 different vendors).

So I'm still looking for some kind of adapter that will let me connect
my new Type-1(QCC1) grill to a pigtail for quick-disconnect tanks. It
seems like there is an adapter or hose for every situation except
mine.

George
Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Neuner View Post
Hi all,

I just had to replace an old propane grill and discovered that all the
new grills come with Type 1 connections.

My problem is that I have a number of propane tanks which have
built-in quick disconnect (i.e. they were not adapted, but came stock
with QD hardware). The tanks all have at least a few years of life
left in them and I would prefer not to replace them just now if I
don't have to.

Does anyone know of an adapter to connect a Type 1 grill to a QD tank?

Thanks,
George
QUOTE=danc;1437040]Try this link,PES Propane Equipment & Supply Heating Mr. Heater Accessories I think the quick connect to pol,or acme,qcc1 is what your looking for if not try changing hoses ie;use your old hoses being sure to check for leaks after you switch them with the new ones,soap and water poured over the connections with the valve turn on looking for any bubbles.