Spatchcock a duck?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Spatchcock a duck?

Have any spatchcocked and grilled a duck? Are there any special steps,
particularly to deal with the fat rendering? I have a small 4lb duck to
grill. I occasionally grill duck indirectly at a medium temp to render all
the fat into a drip pan. Generally we rotisserue a duck indoors on the
Farberware, an excellent way. The fat is great for cassoulet.
Any thoughts or hints?
TIA,

Kent
--
,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

Have any spatchcocked and grilled a duck? Are there any special steps,
particularly to deal with the fat rendering? I have a small 4lb duck to
grill. I occasionally grill duck indirectly at a medium temp to render all
the fat into a drip pan. Generally we rotisserue a duck indoors on the
Farberware, an excellent way. The fat is great for cassoulet.
Any thoughts or hints?
TIA,

It'll work. You might want to use a slightly lower the temp
(than say, chicken) to give it extra time for all that
rendering. Be prepared for a boatload of fat to come off.

I've done it successfully with goose too, though it's not
something I'd ever do again.

Also, I found that no skin cuts are required for spatchcocked
duck/goose. It was not good actually, the skin ended up falling
apart.

--
Mort