Kent H.

Default Baby Back Ribs brining and cooking?

I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.
Thanks for any advice.
Kent
Kent H.

You can brine cure any cut of meat you want with curing salt. It gets a
pinkish texture, more or less depending on the concentration of the
brine and the length of the cure. A relatively brief curing time will
give ribs with a very slight cured ham appearance, texture, flavor, and
taste, but not much. It's an interesting thing to try when you run out
of ideas.
Kent

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
> >salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
> >plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
> >Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
> >If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
> >Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
> >The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
> >fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
> >Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
> >like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
> >I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
> >takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>
> >Thanks for any advice.

> Anytime.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kent H.

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
> >salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
> >plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
> >Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
> >If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
> >Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
> >The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
> >fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
> >Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
> >like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
> >I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
> >takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>
> >Thanks for any advice.

> Anytime.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kent H.

Also, it's very hard to find an injection cured raw ham that you "smoke
cook" in the barbecue. If you barbecue almost all cured and smoked ham
you are essentially warming up something that is already cooked. You
don't gain much. Because of the anatomical nature of pork leg it's
almost impossible to cure it by other than injecting it. Therefore it's
not something you can accomplish at home. Following that you smoke and
cook in the usual barbecue fashion.
One of the few uncooked cured hams around is Burgers Smokehouse Ozark
Ham. Look at:
http://www.smokehouse.com/burgers.nsf/d4cfaba07ae6a652862566b7004faa5f/f96d7e909b2c7a98862568f5006b682e!OpenDocument

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
> >salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
> >plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
> >Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
> >If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
> >Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
> >The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
> >fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
> >Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
> >like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
> >I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
> >takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>
> >Thanks for any advice.

> Anytime.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Kent H.

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
> >salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
> >plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
> >Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
> >If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
> >Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
> >The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
> >fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
> >Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
> >like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
> >I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
> >takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>
> >Thanks for any advice.

> Anytime.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Duwop

I suggest you store all meat in your garage. 2 weekends ago was best, this
weekend was still pretty good for our purpose.

(top posted, un-snipped, and general drivel per thread requirement)

Kent H. wrote:
> Also, it's very hard to find an injection cured raw ham that you
> "smoke
> cook" in the barbecue. If you barbecue almost all cured and smoked ham
> you are essentially warming up something that is already cooked. You
> don't gain much. Because of the anatomical nature of pork leg it's
> almost impossible to cure it by other than injecting it. Therefore
> it's
> not something you can accomplish at home. Following that you smoke and
> cook in the usual barbecue fashion.
> One of the few uncooked cured hams around is Burgers Smokehouse Ozark
> Ham. Look at:

http://www.smokehouse.com/burgers.nsf/d4cfaba07ae6a652862566b7004faa5f/f96d7e909b2c7a98862568f5006b682e!OpenDocument

> "Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
>>> salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65%
>>> nitrite. I
>>> plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
>>> Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
>>> If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
>>> Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
>>> The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
>>> fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
>>> Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
>>> like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before
>>> grilling.
>>> I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as
>>> it
>>> takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

>> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
>> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.

>> Anytime.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin S. Wilson
>> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
>> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
>> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you."
>> --J. Furr

Duwop

Kent H. wrote:
> Also, it's very hard to find an injection cured raw ham that you
> "smoke
> cook" in the barbecue. If you barbecue almost all cured and smoked ham
> you are essentially warming up something that is already cooked. You
> don't gain much. Because of the anatomical nature of pork leg it's
> almost impossible to cure it by other than injecting it. Therefore
> it's
> not something you can accomplish at home. Following that you smoke and
> cook in the usual barbecue fashion.
> One of the few uncooked cured hams around is Burgers Smokehouse Ozark
> Ham. Look at:

http://www.smokehouse.com/burgers.nsf/d4cfaba07ae6a652862566b7004faa5f/f96d7e909b2c7a98862568f5006b682e!OpenDocument

> "Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:56:57 GMT, "Kent H." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
>>> salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65%
>>> nitrite. I
>>> plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
>>> Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
>>> If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
>>> Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
>>> The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
>>> fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
>>> Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
>>> like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before
>>> grilling.
>>> I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as
>>> it
>>> takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

>> Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
>> surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.
>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.

>> Anytime.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin S. Wilson
>> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
>> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
>> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you."
>> --J. Furr

Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
>salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
>plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
>Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
>If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
>Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
>The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
>fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
>Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
>like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
>I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
>takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.

>Thanks for any advice.

Anytime.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>I am brining a rack of baby back ribs in a brine containing .25 cups
>salt/quart. 1/4 or 25% of the salt is curing salt with .65% nitrite. I
>plan to barbecue the ribs today after 48 hours of curing.
>Has anyone tried this with curing salt?
>If so, did you use 100% curing salt, or cut it like I did?
>Does this change your cooking temp. and your cooking time?
>The brine is assertively seasoned[garlic, allspice, pepper, caraway,
>fennel, etc.]. Would you apply a dry rub before cooking?
>Would you paint the ribs with vinegar before cooking, or do anything
>like this? I usually paint with vinegar, usually cider, before grilling.
>I plan to cook indirectly in the Weber at about 225F for as long as it
>takes to get to the "fall apart" stage.

Most people who want to smoke a ham start with a ham. It doesn't
surprise me that you overlooked this crucial first step.

>Thanks for any advice.

Anytime.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Spud

Never done baby backs.

I've brined the loin with success. Cut it in half and brined with Tender
Quick and other spices in a Food Saver container for a week. Great Canadian
Bacon.

I've brined a pork shoulder for two weeks and smoked it at a very low
temperature for 24 hours. Came out great and I'm still alive.

Spud

Kent H.

Thanx Spud: Do you use full strength tender quick or dilute it with
table salt, as I did? The 25% tender quick with ribs worked well, though
I would use less salt/quart. My usual is 1 oz salt, including the tender
quick to 1 quart brine. I used 2 oz total salt/quart.
Kent

Spud wrote:

> Never done baby backs.
>
> I've brined the loin with success. Cut it in half and brined with Tender
> Quick and other spices in a Food Saver container for a week. Great Canadian
> Bacon.
>
> I've brined a pork shoulder for two weeks and smoked it at a very low
> temperature for 24 hours. Came out great and I'm still alive.
>
> Spud

Kent H.