Fix my sauce!! :-)

Old 25-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Charles Howse
Usenet poster

Default Fix my sauce!! :-)

Hi,
I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.

TIA,
Charles

Old 25-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Dave Bugg
Usenet poster

Charles Howse wrote:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? ....

Hi, Charles. Add equal amounts of brown and white sugars in 1 tablespoon
increments until it is at the sweetness level you'd like. As to the salt,
use a large grained salt -- kosher or pickling, etc -- and start with half
of what you used. Table salt, by volume, will give more saltiness than an
equal measure of kosher.

Vinegar-based sauces are great with pork!!! That said, it is something that
may take folks some getting used to if they have never had Carolina-styled
sauces.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Old 25-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Chef Juke
Usenet poster

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse"
wrote:

Hi,
I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.

TIA,
Charles

Charles,

Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
up with 2 cups of sauce.

Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
taste.

The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a
fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
texture and cut the sharpness a little.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Old 25-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Charles Howse
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

Good point, that's what I'll do next time. I'm determined to learn how to
make this stuff.

The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a

Actually, I've grown up here in West Tennessee eating vinegar sauce on my
BBQ sandwiches, and prefer it to something like Bullseye.

fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
texture and cut the sharpness a little.

I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he wasn't
looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of white
sugar, black pepper, and crushed cayenne...everyone still reacts violently
when tasting it. ;-) Too much vinegar!
I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to see if some of the
vinegar will evaporate.

I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central time.

If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our local
BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

Old 25-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Jack Curry
Usenet poster

Charles Howse wrote:

stuff snipped-

I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he
wasn't looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1
tablespoon of white sugar, black pepper, and crushed
cayenne...everyone still reacts violently when tasting it. ;-) Too
much vinegar! I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to
see if some of the vinegar will evaporate.

I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central
time.
If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our
local BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

As Chef Juke said,
"The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce...."

Here's a traditional recipe for NC Vinegar Sauce and as you'll see, it's all
vinegar.

1 C white vinegar
1 C cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Me...I love vinegar, especially on pulled pork. Others (you, I think)
don't, but that's why there are endless options to choose from. I suggest
you cut your losses, pitch the stuff you don't like and try a mustard or
tomato-based sauce.

This is my family's favorite:

Jack Curry's BBQ Sauce

14 oz catsup
3 TBS CYM (cheap yellow mustard)
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c cider vinegar
2 1/2 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix it, bring it to a boil, simmer 30 minutes.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Old 25-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Bruce

wrote:

Hi,
I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.

TIA,
Charles

When using this on pulled pork you only need a few drops. Make it
again and cut the salt in half or leave it out.

I usually use just cider vinegar and some peppers. Texas Pete makes a
nice clear vinegar/pepper sauce. You might try it.

Bruce

Old 25-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Thomas Cormen
Usenet poster

Chef Juke writes:

I added some tomato paste to a recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce
when I was trying to reproduce one I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's
for those who care ) and it added some texture and cut the sharpness
a little.

I care!! It's been over 6 years since we were in Lexington, but I
still have fond memories of Jimmy's. I read recently, however, that
Jimmy has switched over to...dare I say it...an electric smoker.

Nevertheless, CJ, if you have a recipe for a clone of Jimmy's sauce,
wouldja mind posting it?

On a completely different topic, let me add my best wishes to Dave
Bugg on the opening of his Q joint. I'm way too far and way too busy
to get over there for the big event, but I sure wish I could be there
to meet the afb crew. I lurk here constantly, post rarely, but I feel
like I know so many of you. Yet the closest I've come to meeting any
of you was meeting Big Jim's son in Macintosh last March. Anyway,
Dave, here's to you and your venture.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Old 26-09-2004, 12:19 AM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

"Charles Howse" wrote in message
Hi,
I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.

TIA,
Charles

Hey Charles, this is the sauce I make. Its alot like the sauces we would get
at the Q joints back home in Birmingham. Its got just a bit of ketchup in it
but trust me, its good sauce. And its really easy, too. You can adjust the
ketchup content to your liking. After you make the recipe taste it and just
add whatever you want til its the way you like it. Since you don't actually
cook anything it makes it simple to adjust.

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Old 26-09-2004, 12:22 AM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

a slight addition to the recipe is:

"Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using."

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Old 26-09-2004, 12:22 AM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

a slight addition to the recipe is:

"Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using."

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Jar Tomato Sauce Evaluation & Opinion [email protected] General Cooking 10 25-08-2004 02:11 PM
Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce (7) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 01:37 PM
Sauce recipe Captin-Hook Barbecue 9 26-01-2004 07:14 PM
cooking with Coke Raelene General Cooking 28 09-01-2004 11:19 PM
Dipping Sauces (11) Collection luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 06-01-2004 02:38 PM