FoodBanter.com

-   -   sugar in a dry rub (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/34187-sugar-dry-rub.html)

A. Kesteloo 09-09-2004 01:03 PM

sugar in a dry rub

Hi there

I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
this not burn? I aim for 250 F range

Adriaan

Larry Noah 09-09-2004 01:25 PM

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:03:07 +0200, "A. Kesteloo"
> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
>this not burn? I aim for 250 F range
>
>Adriaan

For spareribs check out the rub on this page. I have a recipe if you
want for a rub for beef ribs. Both rubs are sugarless.

Larry Noah 09-09-2004 01:25 PM

Larry Noah 09-09-2004 01:27 PM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:25:46 GMT, Larry Noah >
wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:03:07 +0200, "A. Kesteloo"
> wrote:
>
>>Hi there
>>
>>I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
>>this not burn? I aim for 250 F range
>>
>>Adriaan
>>

>For spareribs check out the rub on this page. I have a recipe if you
>want for a rub for beef ribs. Both rubs are sugarless.

I am asleep. The web page is
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib2.html .

Steve Calvin 09-09-2004 01:38 PM

A. Kesteloo wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
> this not burn? I aim for 250 F range
>
> Adriaan

I generally don't use sugar but last cook I decided to try it. I
figured that "ya never know unless you try" so I made a dry rub which
included brown sugar. I also run at 250-260dF. The sugar doesn't burn
but does kinda caramelize. After trying it we prefer the sugarless
rubs but everone's different.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin 09-09-2004 01:38 PM

Duwop 09-09-2004 03:15 PM

Steve Calvin wrote:
> I generally don't use sugar but last cook I decided to try it. I
> figured that "ya never know unless you try" so I made a dry rub which
> included brown sugar. I also run at 250-260dF. The sugar doesn't burn
> but does kinda caramelize. After trying it we prefer the sugarless
> rubs but everone's different.

I didn't know what the heck the guys were talking about eating their ribs
without sauce or anything until I went simple with salt and pepper. Lots of
course ground pepper. Now that's meat.

Duwop 09-09-2004 03:15 PM

Dana Myers 09-09-2004 03:51 PM

A. Kesteloo wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
> this not burn? I aim for 250 F range

It doesn't burn so much as caramelize. After trying it
both ways for a while, I've decided I prefer no brown
sugar in the rub, and glaze the ribs after cooking with a
tangy-sweet sauce.

My dry rub is something like:

Approximately equal quantities of:
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Ground Coriander
- Paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder

Smaller doses of:
- Celery seed
- Ground ginger
- Sometimes ground cumin

If I use a tablespoon each of salt, etc., I use
about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the above.

I sprinkle and gently rub the ribs. Then I mop with
olive oil, and then apply a sprinkling of:

Approximately equal doses of:
- Dill seed
- Fennel seed
- Coriander seed

that have been freshly cracked.

I make a sauce by reducing one bottle of white
whine (usually Sauv Blanc or Gewurtztraminer)
with onions and garlic, some sugar and white
wine vinegar, and glaze the ribs when they're
cooked.

Since my son is allergic to nightshade vegetables
(peppers and tomatoes), I go easy on pepper. Sure,
I use paprika but the quantity used doesn't seem to
bother him. He used to complain that he could not
have sauce; now he wonders why people put sauce on
ribs. For those that like it spicier, I usually
offer sauces on the side.

Most everyone will have their own rub recipe.
My experience with commercial rubs is that they're
often too high in salt, but I was surprised how
well it worked once to mix Pappy's with brown sugar.

Cheers,
Dana

Dana Myers 09-09-2004 03:51 PM

Steve Calvin 09-09-2004 05:29 PM

Duwop wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>I generally don't use sugar but last cook I decided to try it. I
>>figured that "ya never know unless you try" so I made a dry rub which
>>included brown sugar. I also run at 250-260dF. The sugar doesn't burn
>>but does kinda caramelize. After trying it we prefer the sugarless
>>rubs but everone's different.

> I didn't know what the heck the guys were talking about eating their ribs
> without sauce or anything until I went simple with salt and pepper. Lots of
> course ground pepper. Now that's meat.

That's the conclusion that we came to after experimenting a bit.
Depending on our mood we may have a dipping sauce on the side though.

Steve Calvin 09-09-2004 05:29 PM

Frank Mancuso 09-09-2004 05:52 PM

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm looking for a dry rub to bbq ribs. most rub's I find contain sugar. will
> this not burn? I aim for 250 F range
>
> Adriaan

Here's one I use quite a bit on steaks, ribs, pork loins. It makes a
nice char-crust:

Ancho Coffee Dry Rub

* ½ cup Salt
* ½ cup Brown sugar
* ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
* ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)
* ¼ cup Granulated garlic
* ¼ cup Ground black pepper

frohe 09-09-2004 11:33 PM

Duwop wrote:
> I didn't know what the heck the guys were talking about eating their
> ribs without sauce or anything until I went simple with salt and
> pepper. Lots of course ground pepper. Now that's meat.

Ya forgot the garlic powder. <g>
--
frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry