K. Reece

Default "no-roll" t-bones

I have some "no-roll" grade t-bone steaks. Hubby says they're the grade
below select. They tasted like it too. They might not have been quite as
bad if they hadn't been severely over cooked. (company department picnic)

Got any suggestions for marinades? They really are pretty dry. I've never
marinated a grilling steak but these things really need some help. I've got
5 of them in the freezer.

Or should I just turn them into a simmered steak?

Kathy

Red Hook

K. Reece wrote:

> I have some "no-roll" grade t-bone steaks. Hubby says they're the grade
> below select. They tasted like it too. They might not have been quite as
> bad if they hadn't been severely over cooked. (company department picnic)
>
> Got any suggestions for marinades? They really are pretty dry. I've never
> marinated a grilling steak but these things really need some help. I've got
> 5 of them in the freezer.
>
> Or should I just turn them into a simmered steak?
>
> Kathy

Do a Google search for Hound's "Hogan's Famous" chili recipe. I bet
those steaks would fit in pretty well.
Red Hook

K. Reece wrote:

> I have some "no-roll" grade t-bone steaks. Hubby says they're the grade
> below select. They tasted like it too. They might not have been quite as
> bad if they hadn't been severely over cooked. (company department picnic)
>
> Got any suggestions for marinades? They really are pretty dry. I've never
> marinated a grilling steak but these things really need some help. I've got
> 5 of them in the freezer.
>
> Or should I just turn them into a simmered steak?
>
> Kathy

Do a Google search for Hound's "Hogan's Famous" chili recipe. I bet
those steaks would fit in pretty well.
Red Hook

K. Reece wrote:

> I have some "no-roll" grade t-bone steaks. Hubby says they're the grade
> below select. They tasted like it too. They might not have been quite as
> bad if they hadn't been severely over cooked. (company department picnic)
>
> Got any suggestions for marinades? They really are pretty dry. I've never
> marinated a grilling steak but these things really need some help. I've got
> 5 of them in the freezer.
>
> Or should I just turn them into a simmered steak?
>
> Kathy

Do a Google search for Hound's "Hogan's Famous" chili recipe. I bet
those steaks would fit in pretty well.
Elvis Gratton

I find that a beer and one enveloppe of Onion Soup do a good marinade,
you can also add your favorite steak spice to the marinade. Let them
soak for the afternoon. I also find that meat is more tender if it is
room temperature before throwing it on the grill.

K. Reece

"Default User" > wrote in message
> K. Reece wrote:
>
> > I have some "no-roll" grade t-bone steaks. Hubby says they're the
> > grade below select.

> Actually, "no roll" means the carcass they came from wasn't graded at
> all (no stamp was rolled on it). The grade below select is standard.
> It's hard to say exactly what this beef is, it could be equivalent to
> standard or even below that.

He says they don't do canner or cutter so they're probably standard.
There's a slight chance they are select and were just severely over cooked
at the picnic. They were cooked until they were very well done. They
didn't have much fat at all in the end though so I think they were probably
standard.

> > Got any suggestions for marinades? They really are pretty dry. I've
> > never marinated a grilling steak but these things really need some
> > help. I've got 5 of them in the freezer.

> Frankly, I wouldn't even try to turn them into a grilling steak.
>
> > Or should I just turn them into a simmered steak?

> That's a better idea, I think. Good old-fashioned swiss steak perhaps?

Swiss steak is high on our favorites list so I may do that with a couple of
them. I do a mushroom steak that's pretty good too.

Thanks for the suggestions Brian.

Kathy

Default User

K. Reece wrote:

> He says they don't do canner or cutter so they're probably standard.
> There's a slight chance they are select and were just severely over
> cooked at the picnic. They were cooked until they were very well
> done. They didn't have much fat at all in the end though so I think
> they were probably standard.

Probably. Kind of like the time I bought frozen "steaks in a box" at a
store that didn't normally have fresh meat. Really tough, really lean.

> Swiss steak is high on our favorites list so I may do that with a
> couple of them. I do a mushroom steak that's pretty good too.

Sounds good too.

> Thanks for the suggestions Brian.

You're welcome.

Brian

No bones? Goomba38 General Cooking 38 28-11-2006 07:33 AM
Material for making spring roll summer roll Rice paper chanh khang General Cooking 1 17-11-2005 03:54 PM
Banh Trang Vietnam for making spring roll / summer roll Rice paper chanh khang Asian Cooking 0 17-11-2005 03:35 PM
"Soup Bones" vs. "Beef Marrow Bones" [email protected] General Cooking 22 17-02-2005 08:23 PM
Bones Veracosa Sushi 12 13-10-2003 03:44 AM