Piranah

Default Stainless steel grill question

I have a brand new grill. Its a pretty nice all stainless steel
CharBroil. It cost about $900.
I read that you should season the grill before using it. The
instructions I read said to turn the grill on high for 30 min, let it
cool, then coat everything with vegetable oil and let it run on high
for 30 mins again. I did this, but when I went outside after 30 mins,
the grill was at 700 degrees and the lid (which I had closed) looked
strange. It had copperish colored streaks all over the lid. I dont
know if the steel was distressed from being overheated or what but the
streaks are permanent.
That was about 2 weeks ago. Today I wanted to clean trhe grill
because Ive used it several times and there is food gunked on the
grates. The instructions said to run it on high to let the the greese
and other stuff gunked on the grates "cook off". Well it disinigrated
everything into ashes but now the discoloration on the lid is even
worse. What gives? What is the proper procedure for cleaning the
grill. Is heating it up like this improper and did I damage the
grill?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Piranah" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a brand new grill. Its a pretty nice all stainless steel
> CharBroil. It cost about $900.
> I read that you should season the grill before using it. The
> instructions I read said to turn the grill on high for 30 min, let it
> cool, then coat everything with vegetable oil and let it run on high
> for 30 mins again. I did this, but when I went outside after 30 mins,
> the grill was at 700 degrees and the lid (which I had closed) looked
> strange. It had copperish colored streaks all over the lid. I dont
> know if the steel was distressed from being overheated or what but the
> streaks are permanent.
> That was about 2 weeks ago. Today I wanted to clean trhe grill
> because Ive used it several times and there is food gunked on the
> grates. The instructions said to run it on high to let the the greese
> and other stuff gunked on the grates "cook off". Well it disinigrated
> everything into ashes but now the discoloration on the lid is even
> worse. What gives? What is the proper procedure for cleaning the
> grill. Is heating it up like this improper and did I damage the
> grill?

SS will discolor when heated to high temperatures. I think it is kind of
neat looking. Call it patina and learn to live with it. It is not going
away. It will get worse as you use lots of high heat. Happens with very
expensive SS pots also and the owners get all stressed out. It is a tool,
use it as one.

As for cleaning the grates, what you did works fine. If you want them to
look as good as new (aside from some discoloration) soak them overnight in a
solution with ammonia.

JD

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
|| "Piranah" > wrote in message
|| om...
||| I have a brand new grill. Its a pretty nice all stainless steel
||| CharBroil. It cost about $900.
||| I read that you should season the grill before using it. The
||| instructions I read said to turn the grill on high for 30 min, let
||| it cool, then coat everything with vegetable oil and let it run on
||| high
||| for 30 mins again. I did this, but when I went outside after 30
||| mins, the grill was at 700 degrees and the lid (which I had closed)
||| looked strange. It had copperish colored streaks all over the lid.
||| I dont
||| know if the steel was distressed from being overheated or what but
||| the streaks are permanent.
||| That was about 2 weeks ago. Today I wanted to clean trhe grill
||| because Ive used it several times and there is food gunked on the
||| grates. The instructions said to run it on high to let the the
||| greese
||| and other stuff gunked on the grates "cook off". Well it
||| disinigrated everything into ashes but now the discoloration on the
||| lid is even
||| worse. What gives? What is the proper procedure for cleaning the
||| grill. Is heating it up like this improper and did I damage the
||| grill?
|| SS will discolor when heated to high temperatures. I think it is
|| kind of neat looking. Call it patina and learn to live with it. It
|| is not going away. It will get worse as you use lots of high heat.
|| Happens with very expensive SS pots also and the owners get all
|| stressed out. It is a tool, use it as one.
|| As for cleaning the grates, what you did works fine. If you want
|| them to look as good as new (aside from some discoloration) soak
|| them overnight in a solution with ammonia.

He could go to his neighborhood motorcycle shop and get himself a bottle of
BlueAway as used on exhaust pipes but I think that's being just a bit
obsessive.

JD