porkbeaks

Default "Deli-Cured Brisket"????

In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
seed. Cook at 220=BA for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
hours or until done.
Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

Reg

porkbeaks wrote:

> In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
> Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
> including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
> pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
> seed. Cook at 220º for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
> hours or until done.
> Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
> pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

You're describing a pretty conventional pastrami recipe. The difference
is that the curing time is very short. Whether you like that or not is
a matter of taste.

I cure mine longer, about 7 days. I take it out and rinse it, then soak it
in cool water for about an hour to remove some of the salt from the surface.
I rub it with a spice mix, wrap it and fridge it overnight, then smoke it to
185-190 F internal.

Be careful of Smoke and Spice, BTW. It contains some very inaccurate
time/temp information.

Reg

porkbeaks wrote:

> In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
> Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
> including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
> pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
> seed. Cook at 220º for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
> hours or until done.
> Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
> pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

You're describing a pretty conventional pastrami recipe. The difference
is that the curing time is very short. Whether you like that or not is
a matter of taste.

I cure mine longer, about 7 days. I take it out and rinse it, then soak it
in cool water for about an hour to remove some of the salt from the surface.
I rub it with a spice mix, wrap it and fridge it overnight, then smoke it to
185-190 F internal.

Be careful of Smoke and Spice, BTW. It contains some very inaccurate
time/temp information.

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:49:11 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>porkbeaks wrote:
>
>> In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
>> Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
>> including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
>> pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
>> seed. Cook at 220º for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
>> hours or until done.
>> Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
>> pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

>You're describing a pretty conventional pastrami recipe. The difference
>is that the curing time is very short. Whether you like that or not is
>a matter of taste.
>
>I cure mine longer, about 7 days. I take it out and rinse it, then soak it
>in cool water for about an hour to remove some of the salt from the surface.
>I rub it with a spice mix, wrap it and fridge it overnight, then smoke it to
>185-190 F internal.
>
>Be careful of Smoke and Spice, BTW. It contains some very inaccurate
>time/temp information.

I have found that cooking temps vary significantly, depending on the
meat and the cooker. I like the stuff in Smoke & Spice but have never
made that particular dish. I like the one made with coffee.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:49:11 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>porkbeaks wrote:
>
>> In the "Smoke & Spice" cookbook, there's a recipe for "Deli-Cured
>> Brisket" in which you marinate (overnight) a 4# flat in a brine
>> including salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. The rub includes black
>> pepper, salt, garlic powder, cracked coriander seed, and cracked mustard
>> seed. Cook at 220º for 3 hours, wrap in foil, and cook for another 2
>> hours or until done.
>> Has anyone ever tried this? Would I end up with anything close to
>> pastrami? Should I marinate longer? pb

>You're describing a pretty conventional pastrami recipe. The difference
>is that the curing time is very short. Whether you like that or not is
>a matter of taste.
>
>I cure mine longer, about 7 days. I take it out and rinse it, then soak it
>in cool water for about an hour to remove some of the salt from the surface.
>I rub it with a spice mix, wrap it and fridge it overnight, then smoke it to
>185-190 F internal.
>
>Be careful of Smoke and Spice, BTW. It contains some very inaccurate
>time/temp information.

I have found that cooking temps vary significantly, depending on the
meat and the cooker. I like the stuff in Smoke & Spice but have never
made that particular dish. I like the one made with coffee.

Harry

Oh goody - I must be cured by now then! Ian Field Diabetic 0 25-04-2014 06:49 PM
Oil cured olives Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 7 05-12-2012 01:58 PM
Dry cured ham - US, Italy or Fish General Cooking 3 14-11-2011 03:17 AM
Dry Cured Ham?? Kent Preserving 3 26-07-2006 08:57 PM
how to air-cured meats KenCo Preserving 2 05-02-2004 06:38 PM