Edwin Pawlowski

Default BBQ Woods

Lost the origins of this but the information is still valid.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

BBQ WOODS

On the subject of BBQ woods, I have found the best results to be from nut
and fruit bearing trees, cut down from 6 months to 2 years old. Like Oak,
Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan, Peach, Pear, Apple, Apricot, & Maple to list a
few. These are the safest types to use for cooking. I have found that wood
over two years old tends to produce a dirty taste in the food more often
than not. Wood can be cut down whole, and split after five or so months of
seasoning. I recommend splitting three days or so before cooking with it.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Hard to find commercially.
Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with
poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor, available white or

black. Good with fish and red meats.

BLACK WALNUT - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter wood
like hickory or mesquite. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats
and game.

CHERRY - Mild, fruity, but slightly bitter if it comes from chokecherry
trees. Good with poultry, pork and beef (turns skin brown).

GRAPE VINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Expensive.
Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good
with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and
lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese,
and small game birds.

MESQUITE - One of the hottest burning. Strong earthy flavor. Good with
beef, fish, chicken and game.

OAK - Lighter version of mesquite. Red oak is good on ribs, white oak makes
the best coals burning longer. Good with red meat, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE - Light and citrusy. Good with pork and game birds.

PECAN - A cool burner. Nutty and sweet. Tasty with a subtle character.
Good with steaks, ribs and cheese.

HERBS & SPICES - Don't forget you can add soaked garlic, peppers, onions,
herbs and spices directly to your fire. Good with all meats and vegetables.
You can use some woods green for cooking, but under no circumstances should
you to use green mesquite for smoking. It will produce a bitter taste in the
pit for years that cannot be sandblasted out. People have used this before
because they saw someone in a restaurant using it. That was grilling with
it, not smoking where there is top capturing the bitter smoke. That stuff
will black your eyes it's so strong. Also don't use any pine limbs. I saw a
man cook with the heart of pine, promptly promoting some of the nastiest red
splotches all over the skin of the unhappy diners, making them extremely
sick. I think the antigens got in their bloodstream. Yuck! Stay away from
pines. Try apple chips soaked in water, placed on your charcoals when you
cook duck or goose in your smoker. It will taste like you rubbed your bird
for hours with honey. Delicious... Also try smoking a cherry pie on pecan
wood. Great... "Let there be Smoke

Dave Bugg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Lost the origins of this but the information is still valid.

Thanks, Ed.

Dave Bugg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Lost the origins of this but the information is still valid.

Thanks, Ed.

Dave Bugg

BBQ Woods Brick[_5_] Barbecue 0 24-06-2011 01:45 AM
BBQ Woods Ed Pawlowski[_2_] Barbecue 2 24-06-2011 12:15 AM
Woods Not to use [email protected] Barbecue 10 06-08-2009 08:10 PM
Reading Ed Woods gw Sourdough 10 26-02-2005 12:08 AM
Woods to use in smokers Edward Barbecue 0 31-10-2004 12:27 AM