pizza stone = quarry stone

Old 03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Woogeroo
Usenet poster

Default pizza stone = quarry stone

Heya folks

I have red/seen that a 'unglazed quarry stone' which is used as tile,
available at 'building supply stores' is just as good as the 30-40
pizza stones.

'unglazed quarry stone' - I don't know wnaythgin about them nor where
to get one. no luck at home depot or lowes... which isn't
surprising... I've never seen such a big place have so little I
actually need. hehe

Thanks...

-W

-Woogeroo

- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Default User
Usenet poster

Woogeroo wrote:

Heya folks

I have red/seen that a 'unglazed quarry stone' which is used as tile,
available at 'building supply stores' is just as good as the 30-40
pizza stones.

Tiles, not stones.

'unglazed quarry stone' - I don't know wnaythgin about them nor where
to get one. no luck at home depot or lowes... which isn't
surprising... I've never seen such a big place have so little I
actually need. hehe

Lowes lists 8x8 unglazed quarry tiles on their website:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...18967-367-DC88

Normally though, you want 12x12. I'd check with places that sell tile in
your area. Check the yellow pages.

Brian Rodenborn

Old 04-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Bob Hayden
Usenet poster

Just make sure the stones/tiles are "unglazed". Glazed tiles could give off
noxious fumes.
Bob in RSM, CA

Old 04-08-2004, 07:53 AM
BurbankTony
Usenet poster

Woogeroo wrote in message . ..
Heya folks

I have red/seen that a 'unglazed quarry stone' which is used as tile,
available at 'building supply stores' is just as good as the 30-40
pizza stones.

'unglazed quarry stone' - I don't know wnaythgin about them nor where
to get one. no luck at home depot or lowes... which isn't
surprising... I've never seen such a big place have so little I
actually need. hehe

Thanks...

-W

-Woogeroo

I looked into quarry stone at a gravel and stone place. The tile they
had was very thin. To tile floors you don't want thick tile. I don't
think it would hold much heat and I think it might crack. I didn't buy
any so this is just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Gene Williams
Usenet poster

I picked up two at Home Depot just a week ago. They were at the very back of
the floor tile isle, seperate from the rest.. Red brick color, $.98 apiece.
Careful, the glazed ones were right beside the unglazed and looked the same
except for a slight sheen to the surface, and the boxes were marked
"Special" for glazed and "Standard" for unglazed. Alton Brown had a show on
them, awhile back, and I wanted to give them a try. Can't tell you how they
work yet, but they've laid on the bottom rack of my oven, through a couple
of bakings of corn bread and they are still together. I did notice that the
oven heats up slower with them in there.

Good luck,
Gene