cleaning grill - before or after cooking?

Old 30-07-2004, 01:23 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default cleaning grill - before or after cooking?

This was briefly mentioned in an above post about the ultimate steak, but
there seems to be two schools of thought of when is the right time to
clean off your grill 1) right after cooking, when the crud is still warm,
2) right before you start to cook, the crud "protects and seasons" your
grill between cooking.

I am about to purchase a Weber Genesis from Home Depot and it should come
with the enamel coated cast iron grill. So I would like to hear
everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!

--
Kevin

Do you really need to email to reply? Just post it!
Otherwise: 'ah' underscore 'chang' at sign hotmail period com
Old 30-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
Usenet poster

wrote in message
nk.net...
This was briefly mentioned in an above post about the ultimate steak, but
there seems to be two schools of thought of when is the right time to
clean off your grill 1) right after cooking, when the crud is still warm,
2) right before you start to cook, the crud "protects and seasons" your
grill between cooking.

Depends.

If really cruddy and greasy, I'll crank it up and burn it out now rather
than wait. I'd rather not have to wait for smoky flames to die down before
I start to grill a hot dog for lunch. It thee is little residue, say from
cooking a hot dog for lunch, I'll let it go.
Ed

Old 30-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Paul
Usenet poster

Kevin,

Good question. I just got a Weber Summit Silver and bought the Home Depot
enamel coated cast iron grates for my grill. I called Weber customer
service on an unrelated issue and cleaning the enamel coated cast iron
grates came up. I was told to use a brass bristle brush to clean the grates
when cold, NOT hot, as the enamel could get damaged. If I were you, I'd
call Weber yourself and ask, as sometimes two different customer service
reps will tell you two different answers to the same question.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Paul

nk.net...

Old 30-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Paracelsus
Usenet poster

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:23:01 +0000, look wrote:

This was briefly mentioned in an above post about the ultimate steak, but
there seems to be two schools of thought of when is the right time to
clean off your grill 1) right after cooking, when the crud is still warm,
2) right before you start to cook, the crud "protects and seasons" your
grill between cooking.

I am about to purchase a Weber Genesis from Home Depot and it should come
with the enamel coated cast iron grill. So I would like to hear
everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!

I clean my grill/smoker between uses when it's cooled down to ambient temp.
And touch up paint, tighten fasteners, etc. at the same time.
I know it's anal but I live three blocks from the Pacific ocean and rust
is a big problem.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Matt Davis
Usenet poster

From experience, I would strongly suggest cleaning it after cooking if you
used a tomato based finishing sauce, as the acid in the tomatoes can easily
eat through even porcelain coated metal. I like to run the grill on high for
about 5 minutes after cooking (while the meat is standing) and scraping it
with a wire brush. And I always oil the grill just before putting on the
meat.

--Matt

Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
pilgrim13
Usenet poster

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Kevin,

Good question. I just got a Weber Summit Silver and bought the Home Depot
enamel coated cast iron grates for my grill. I called Weber customer
service on an unrelated issue and cleaning the enamel coated cast iron
grates came up. I was told to use a brass bristle brush to clean the grates
when cold, NOT hot, as the enamel could get damaged. If I were you, I'd
call Weber yourself and ask, as sometimes two different customer service
reps will tell you two different answers to the same question.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Paul

I bought a Weber Gold C for Father's Day. A few days ago, bought the
enamel coated cast iron grates as an upgrade. Just got off the phone
with Weber, I was told that they recommend doing the burn off when
your finished grilling and to go ahead and clean the grates after the
burn off, while still hot/warm. They stipulated that this would be
okay and would not harm the enamel providing you only use the soft
brass bristle brush and not the steel one.
Additionally, lightly oil the grates prior to use. So now we have 2
different suggestions from Weber.

I'm really looking forward to the benefits I've read about using the
PCCI grates. Breaking it in this weekend.

Cheers
Stan (Who's SS grates will go into storage...Just in case).

Weber grill experience Han Barbecue 8 09-12-2011 08:18 AM
Tapioca-my new secret delight Goomba38 General Cooking 32 05-04-2004 11:28 PM
Contact grill with timer that actually turns off grill ? Steve Parus Cooking Equipment 0 18-12-2003 04:46 PM
? Need Speedie Marinade Recipe? Willsey General Cooking 2 04-12-2003 10:17 PM