FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brining Pork Butt (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/29109-re-brining-pork-butt.html)

Dave Bugg 25-07-2004 12:33 AM

Brining Pork Butt

Mark Reichert wrote:

> Seems to be a case of upping the moisture content to make sure the all
> too lean modern pork is still moist at the end, as well as getting
> some seasoning into the interior cells of the meat.

That's Alton's reasoning, but the reality for shoulders, picnics and butts
is that they are usually not that lean. Unless, of course, you have a
maniacally enthusiastic butcher that hates fat. It's just not necessary to
brine.

Jack Curry 25-07-2004 12:37 AM

Brining Pork Butt

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Mark Reichert wrote:
>
> > Seems to be a case of upping the moisture content to make sure the all
> > too lean modern pork is still moist at the end, as well as getting
> > some seasoning into the interior cells of the meat.

> That's Alton's reasoning, but the reality for shoulders, picnics and butts
> is that they are usually not that lean. Unless, of course, you have a
> maniacally enthusiastic butcher that hates fat. It's just not necessary to
> brine.

Ditto to Dave. I've never had a butt turn out dry. There's plenty of fat
in a Boston butt to keep the meat moist without brining.

Jack Curry

Bob 25-07-2004 09:43 AM

Brining Pork Butt

"Mark Reichert" > wrote
> There was an argument on why Alton Brown would advise brining a pork
> butt before smoking. Well for his actual words, there's a link to the
> transcript he
>
> Seems to be a case of upping the moisture content to make sure the all
> too lean modern pork is still moist at the end, as well as getting
> some seasoning into the interior cells of the meat.

You can achieve the same thing by injecting apple juice with your favorite
spices mixed in.

Bob 25-07-2004 09:43 AM

Brining Pork Butt

Tyler Hopper 25-07-2004 08:16 PM

Brining Pork Butt

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Mark Reichert wrote:
>
> > Seems to be a case of upping the moisture content to make sure the all
> > too lean modern pork is still moist at the end, as well as getting
> > some seasoning into the interior cells of the meat.

> That's Alton's reasoning, but the reality for shoulders, picnics and butts
> is that they are usually not that lean. Unless, of course, you have a
> maniacally enthusiastic butcher that hates fat. It's just not necessary to
> brine.

Then don't buy the boneless butts from Costco. Not only do they remove the bone.
Most of the intra-muscular fat is gone too. My last batch turned out so dry I
had to moisten it up with some broth and rub.

Tyler

Tyler Hopper 25-07-2004 08:16 PM

Brining Pork Butt

cory 25-07-2004 11:55 PM

Brining Pork Butt

Jack Curry wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>
>>Mark Reichert wrote:
>>

>>>Seems to be a case of upping the moisture content to make sure the all
>>>too lean modern pork is still moist at the end, as well as getting
>>>some seasoning into the interior cells of the meat.

>>That's Alton's reasoning, but the reality for shoulders, picnics and butts
>>is that they are usually not that lean. Unless, of course, you have a
>>maniacally enthusiastic butcher that hates fat. It's just not necessary to
>>brine.
>>

> Ditto to Dave. I've never had a butt turn out dry. There's plenty of fat
> in a Boston butt to keep the meat moist without brining.
>
> Jack Curry

I suspect the main benefit of brining the butt is delivering salt to the
meat, which of course could be accomplished by ... salting the meat.

cory 25-07-2004 11:55 PM

Brining Pork Butt

Woogeroo 26-07-2004 06:30 PM

Brining Pork Butt

I'm guessing one would use a syringe of some type for injecting... but
I'm not sure. Could you enlighten me on the tools and methods for
trying this? or send me along to a webpage that has some information
already on it?

It reads yummy.

-W

>You can achieve the same thing by injecting apple juice with your favorite
>spices mixed in.

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo 26-07-2004 06:30 PM

Brining Pork Butt

Bill 27-07-2004 07:53 AM

Brining Pork Butt

In article >, says...

> I'm guessing one would use a syringe of some type for injecting... but
> I'm not sure. Could you enlighten me on the tools and methods for
> trying this? or send me along to a webpage that has some information
> already on it?
>
> It reads yummy.
>
> -W
>

> >You can achieve the same thing by injecting apple juice with your favorite
> >spices mixed in.
> >

> -Woogeroo

Here's a start:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...ring/index.htm