DxP

Default Types of wood for smoking

Hi There

Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what types of
meat?

I've just starting this "smoking" thing with Hickory chips and steak, and
while it imparts the most amazing flavour, I'm somewhat hooked and I am now
looking for some further inspiration to experiment with.

Cheers

Dave

----

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.... your hair... your clothes... but doesn't it
taste good

Dave Bugg

DxP wrote:

> Hi There
>
> Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what
> types of meat?
>
> I've just starting this "smoking" thing with Hickory chips and steak,
> and while it imparts the most amazing flavour, I'm somewhat hooked
> and I am now looking for some further inspiration to experiment with.

You really will value the BBQ FAQ, which covers that information, and so
much more.
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Ch

Not sure if the faq mentions...
At least when it comes to Hickory, the bark gives much more flavor!! in my
opinion.
"DxP" > wrote in message
> Hi There
>
> Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what types of
> meat?
>
> I've just starting this "smoking" thing with Hickory chips and steak, and
> while it imparts the most amazing flavour, I'm somewhat hooked and I am

now
> looking for some further inspiration to experiment with.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
> ----
>
> Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.... your hair... your clothes... but doesn't it
> taste good

Graeme...in London

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> DxP wrote:
>
> > Hi There
> >
> > Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what
> > types of meat?
> >
> > I've just starting this "smoking" thing with Hickory chips and steak,
> > and while it imparts the most amazing flavour, I'm somewhat hooked
> > and I am now looking for some further inspiration to experiment with.

> You really will value the BBQ FAQ, which covers that information, and so
> much more.
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

These are good links for information on wood that I have found useful.
Unfortunately I struggle to get some of the varieties in the UK.

http://www.cbbqa.com/grilling/Woodforgrilling.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing

Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:08:43 +0000 (UTC), "DxP"
> wrote:
>
>Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what types of
>meat?

Go he

http://powlusr.tripod.com/Wood/wood.htm

Scroll down to the blue table.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

BOB

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> You really will value the BBQ FAQ, which covers that information, and so
>> much more.
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>>

> These are good links for information on wood that I have found useful.
> Unfortunately I struggle to get some of the varieties in the UK.
>
> http://www.cbbqa.com/grilling/Woodforgrilling.html
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing
>
> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)

In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great, but
relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced it up
too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.

BOB
but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

BOB

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> You really will value the BBQ FAQ, which covers that information, and so
>> much more.
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>>

> These are good links for information on wood that I have found useful.
> Unfortunately I struggle to get some of the varieties in the UK.
>
> http://www.cbbqa.com/grilling/Woodforgrilling.html
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing
>
> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)

In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great, but
relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced it up
too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.

BOB
but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

BOB

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> You really will value the BBQ FAQ, which covers that information, and so
>> much more.
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>>

> These are good links for information on wood that I have found useful.
> Unfortunately I struggle to get some of the varieties in the UK.
>
> http://www.cbbqa.com/grilling/Woodforgrilling.html
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing
>
> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)

In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great, but
relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced it up
too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.

BOB
but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

Jack Curry

snipped stuff-

> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)
>
> In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great,

but
> relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced

it up
> too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.
>
> BOB
> but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

What BOB said. I have lime wood, orange and grapefruit and can't tell 'em
apart. BOB's right, they're mild smoke and very pleasant. I prefer bay (or
alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
I can ever get my hands on some pecan...I did a cook with pecan shells once
and they smelled divine.

Jack Curry
-we got wood in Fladera <grin>-

Jack Curry

snipped stuff-

> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)
>
> In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great,

but
> relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced

it up
> too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.
>
> BOB
> but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

What BOB said. I have lime wood, orange and grapefruit and can't tell 'em
apart. BOB's right, they're mild smoke and very pleasant. I prefer bay (or
alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
I can ever get my hands on some pecan...I did a cook with pecan shells once
and they smelled divine.

Jack Curry
-we got wood in Fladera <grin>-

Jack Curry

snipped stuff-

> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)
>
> In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great,

but
> relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced

it up
> too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.
>
> BOB
> but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)

What BOB said. I have lime wood, orange and grapefruit and can't tell 'em
apart. BOB's right, they're mild smoke and very pleasant. I prefer bay (or
alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
I can ever get my hands on some pecan...I did a cook with pecan shells once
and they smelled divine.

Jack Curry
-we got wood in Fladera <grin>-

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:19:14 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I prefer bay (or
>alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
>I can ever get my hands on some pecan

Pecan is an excellent all-round smoking/grilling wood. Wish I had more
than the few chunks I'm down to.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I prefer bay (or
>alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
>I can ever get my hands on some pecan

Pecan is an excellent all-round smoking/grilling wood. Wish I had more
than the few chunks I'm down to.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Tyler Hopper

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:19:14 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
> @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >I prefer bay (or
> >alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
> >I can ever get my hands on some pecan

> Pecan is an excellent all-round smoking/grilling wood. Wish I had more
> than the few chunks I'm down to.

Pecan is about all I use anymore except for mesquite here and there. 'Round
these parts there's plenty of pecan orchards so supply isn't a problem.

I can go to a couple of wood yards and get a pickup load of chunks & logettes
for ~$40.

_________
ht_redneck

Leonardo

Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door neighbor)

Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?

Popular in the UK, I've heard.

Too radical? un-American?

Lenny

Duwop

Leonardo wrote:
> Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door
> neighbor)
>
> Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>
> Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>
> Too radical? un-American?

Try simply too scarce? Where do you get your peat?
Some people cook over burning buffalo turds too, guess its not common in the
USA because it's un-american eh?
And you know mutton is not beloved either, and therefore not commonly
available, understand it's an aquired taste (read forced fed to you as a
child).

Radical, Un-american? Why you throwing those words around, trying to stir up
controversy, need a life?

Graeme...in London

"Leonardo" > wrote in message

> Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door

neighbor)

> Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>
> Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>
> Too radical? un-American?
>

> Lenny

Lenny,

It's top of my agenda the next visit back to the Holy Land (Scotland). Peat
is popular while cold smoking (mostly salmon), and I'll bring a few pieces
back and see how it works while hot smoking. It may work, it may not, but
I'm keen to give it a shot.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Leonardo" > wrote in message

> Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door

neighbor)

> Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>
> Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>
> Too radical? un-American?
>

> Lenny

Lenny,

It's top of my agenda the next visit back to the Holy Land (Scotland). Peat
is popular while cold smoking (mostly salmon), and I'll bring a few pieces
back and see how it works while hot smoking. It may work, it may not, but
I'm keen to give it a shot.

Graeme

Leonardo

Duwop wrote:

> Leonardo wrote:
>
>>Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door
>>neighbor)
>>
>>Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>>
>>Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>>
>>Too radical? un-American?
>>

> Try simply too scarce? Where do you get your peat?

I've never tried it, that's why I asked.

It can be purchased at

http://www.irishsmoke.ie/products1.htm

and I'm sure there are other sources

> Some people cook over burning buffalo turds too, guess its not common in the
> USA because it's un-american eh?
> And you know mutton is not beloved either, and therefore not commonly
> available, understand it's an aquired taste (read forced fed to you as a
> child).

Like McDonalds?

> Radical, Un-american? Why you throwing those words around, trying to stir up
> controversy, need a life?

Didn't mean to push anybody's buttons. Just joking around.

I'll be more careful with my choice of words next time. There is so much
hyper-sensitivity in the air these days.

Lenny

Leonardo

Duwop wrote:

> Leonardo wrote:
>
>>Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door
>>neighbor)
>>
>>Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>>
>>Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>>
>>Too radical? un-American?
>>

> Try simply too scarce? Where do you get your peat?

I've never tried it, that's why I asked.

It can be purchased at

http://www.irishsmoke.ie/products1.htm

and I'm sure there are other sources

> Some people cook over burning buffalo turds too, guess its not common in the
> USA because it's un-american eh?
> And you know mutton is not beloved either, and therefore not commonly
> available, understand it's an aquired taste (read forced fed to you as a
> child).

Like McDonalds?

> Radical, Un-american? Why you throwing those words around, trying to stir up
> controversy, need a life?

Didn't mean to push anybody's buttons. Just joking around.

I'll be more careful with my choice of words next time. There is so much
hyper-sensitivity in the air these days.

Lenny

Tyler Hopper

"Leonardo" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
> > Leonardo wrote:
> >
> >>Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door
> >>neighbor)
> >>
> >>Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
> >>
> >>Popular in the UK, I've heard.
> >>
> >>Too radical? un-American?
> >>

> > Try simply too scarce? Where do you get your peat?

> I've never tried it, that's why I asked.
>
> It can be purchased at
>
> http://www.irishsmoke.ie/products1.htm
>
> and I'm sure there are other sources

Peat is a non-renewable resource if that means anything to you.

Tyler

Tyler Hopper

"Leonardo" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>
> > Leonardo wrote:
> >
> >>Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door
> >>neighbor)
> >>
> >>Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
> >>
> >>Popular in the UK, I've heard.
> >>
> >>Too radical? un-American?
> >>

> > Try simply too scarce? Where do you get your peat?

> I've never tried it, that's why I asked.
>
> It can be purchased at
>
> http://www.irishsmoke.ie/products1.htm
>
> and I'm sure there are other sources

Peat is a non-renewable resource if that means anything to you.

Tyler

Yip Yap

Leonardo > wrote in message >...
> Have any of you tried smoking with peat ( not, Pete the next door neighbor)
>
> Maybe a big chunk of mutton or lamb?
>
> Popular in the UK, I've heard.
>
> Too radical? un-American?

The only peat we get in the US is peat moss.
Open a bale and you end up with a big pile
of dust. Is it possible to cook with that
dust, or should be peat be in a chunk?

-- Yip
BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> snipped stuff-
>
>> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)
>>
>> In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great, but
>> relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced it
>> up too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.
>>
>> BOB
>> but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)
>>

> What BOB said. I have lime wood, orange and grapefruit and can't tell 'em
> apart. BOB's right, they're mild smoke and very pleasant. I prefer bay (or
> alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
> I can ever get my hands on some pecan...I did a cook with pecan shells once
> and they smelled divine.
>
> Jack Curry
> -we got wood in Fladera <grin>-

I got a bag of pecan chunks at Lowes a few weeks ago, it's a good change, but I
keep on returning to oak and hickory for the majority of my smoking.

BOB
who has a box of K-extruded coconut lump for you if you're ever in Orlando, or
I'm in the Daytona area

BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> snipped stuff-
>
>> Graeme (grapefruit & orange sound particularly good)
>>
>> In *my* experience, all citrus wood smoke tastes the same. It's great, but
>> relatively mild flavored. Think fish, maybe chicken if you haven't spiced it
>> up too much. Very subtle, but distinctive, and good.
>>
>> BOB
>> but *I* wouldn't pay for it (living in the citrus-belt of Florida)
>>

> What BOB said. I have lime wood, orange and grapefruit and can't tell 'em
> apart. BOB's right, they're mild smoke and very pleasant. I prefer bay (or
> alder) for fish and I like oak the best for most everything else, though if
> I can ever get my hands on some pecan...I did a cook with pecan shells once
> and they smelled divine.
>
> Jack Curry
> -we got wood in Fladera <grin>-

I got a bag of pecan chunks at Lowes a few weeks ago, it's a good change, but I
keep on returning to oak and hickory for the majority of my smoking.

BOB
who has a box of K-extruded coconut lump for you if you're ever in Orlando, or
I'm in the Daytona area

Jack Curry

BOB wrote:
> Jack Curry wrote:
>> snipped stuff-

> I got a bag of pecan chunks at Lowes a few weeks ago, it's a good
> change, but I keep on returning to oak and hickory for the majority
> of my smoking.
>
> BOB
> who has a box of K-extruded coconut lump for you if you're ever in
> Orlando, or I'm in the Daytona area

I'm on my way to the Panhandle again tomorrow and hope to find a pecan
orchard I can help prune, but regardless I'll take the coconut lump and
gladly, sir.

Jack
-Thanks BOB-

Jack Curry

BOB wrote:
> Jack Curry wrote:
>> snipped stuff-

> I got a bag of pecan chunks at Lowes a few weeks ago, it's a good
> change, but I keep on returning to oak and hickory for the majority
> of my smoking.
>
> BOB
> who has a box of K-extruded coconut lump for you if you're ever in
> Orlando, or I'm in the Daytona area

I'm on my way to the Panhandle again tomorrow and hope to find a pecan
orchard I can help prune, but regardless I'll take the coconut lump and
gladly, sir.

Jack
-Thanks BOB-

Bob Blickenstaff

Try this link.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:08:43 +0000 (UTC), "DxP"
> > wrote:
> >
> >Generally speaking, what types of smoking wood are good for what types of
> >meat?
> >

> Go he
>
> http://powlusr.tripod.com/Wood/wood.htm
>
> Scroll down to the blue table.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard Larson" > wrote in message

Haven't decided about oak.

Try it with beef. Very good.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard Larson" > wrote in message

Haven't decided about oak.

Try it with beef. Very good.

Wood for smoking/BBQ Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 58 25-08-2009 12:08 PM
Where to buy wood for smoking? [email protected] Barbecue 3 05-06-2005 01:12 AM
Wood for smoking. RW Barbecue 4 13-09-2004 09:51 AM
BARBEQUE WOOD TYPES D General Cooking 15 17-02-2004 09:52 PM
barbeque wood types D Barbecue 5 16-02-2004 10:52 PM