Steve

Default Keg BBQ?

I can get cast away beer kegs from a recycle yard for next to nothing.
Anyone know if they can be converted into a smoker? I can do the conversion
myself... I was thinking of turning one into a firebox & another into the
cooking chamber. I know they're kinda small, but I usually only smoke 4
racks of ribs at a time anyhow (maybe a chicken, too). My main concern - is
it safe? Is there anything in the SS keg that I should worry about? Anyone
done this before?

Thanks!

Dick Wiegand

Steve wrote:

> I can get cast away beer kegs from a recycle yard for next to nothing.
> Anyone know if they can be converted into a smoker? I can do the conversion
> myself... I was thinking of turning one into a firebox & another into the
> cooking chamber. I know they're kinda small, but I usually only smoke 4
> racks of ribs at a time anyhow (maybe a chicken, too). My main concern - is
> it safe? Is there anything in the SS keg that I should worry about? Anyone
> done this before?
>
> Thanks!

Steve:

Cutting the keg apart into pieces (lid, fire door, etc) is tough part, don't
think you can use a O/A cutting torch - probably need plasma or could saw with
a hand held recip saw (use good quality proper blades - you'll probably use
more than a few.

Buying the stainless and having it welded will also be kind of expensive,
otherwise use stainless pop rivets or stainless bolts/screws.

Other than that, nothing dangerous about keg as long as you remove any
non-stainless parts in the valve assembly - typically a delrin ball and
elastomer gasket., spring, etc.

Dick

Walt Lewis

Beer brewers have been cutting the tops out of kegs for years and
using then as boiling pots. Makes a fantastic turkey roasting pot with
built in handles!!

Do a google search or rec.crafts.brewing. There a re MANY methods for
cutting them apart.

Walt