Blues Lyne

Default Storing homemade BBQ sauce, how long in fridge?

Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.

Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?

Thanks,

Blues

Edwin Pawlowski

"Blues Lyne" > wrote in message
> Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.

I've kept if for many weeks.High in acid, it lasts a long time.

> Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?

You get the runs after using it. If that happens, don't use it again.
Ed

Donna Rose

In article >, blueslyne@hotmail-
nospam.com says...
> Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.
>
> Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blues

The vinegar in it will preserve it for some time (high acid). If you're
worried about it you can bring it to a boil for 2 minutes before using
it.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
Blues Lyne

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> > Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?

> You get the runs after using it. If that happens, don't use it again.
> Ed

That had me laughing. Thanks. Since I'm having company tonight, maybe I'll
make new sauce just in case. Or, maybe we'll have Fear Factor theme. After
dinner we can wager on who will be the first to make a beeline for the
bathroom.

Blues

L. Cook

"Blues Lyne" > wrote in message
> Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.
>
> Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blues

I'd keep what you feel you could reasonable use up in three or four weeks,
then freeze the rest, maybe using a store-bought ziplock bag. My wife also
puts tomatoes and sauces up in jars--canning. Fairly easy to do, really.

Jon Choate

> The vinegar in it will preserve it for some time (high acid). If you're
> worried about it you can bring it to a boil for 2 minutes before using
> it.

Also, the mustard will add to the preservation qualities. It all
really depends on the amount of vinegar and mustard used. I have had
some with that basic recipe, along with a few other ingredients,
including molasses, last longer than 6 months with a high vinegar
content. I have also had them with a low vinegar content sealed and on
the bottom shelf become a science experiment in 5 days. The best guide
you have is your nose... if it don't smell right, chances are it
aint...

Keep this in mind as a reference...Tabasco, which contains salt,
vinegar, and red peppers, is listed by the McIlhenny company to have a
shelf life of 5 years.
Dana Myers

Blues Lyne wrote:
> Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but you (and
others might find it amusing). Many years ago, I decided to
try my hand at making my own pico de gallo-style salsa and
I had positively no idea what I was doing. I chopped up
tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and I dunno what else
and mixed it up. It didn't taste right and I tinkered
with it for a while. It just wasn't right.

So I decided to save it overnight and look up some recipes,
get a clue what to do, so I put the small batch of salsa into
a used salsa jar and stashed it in the refrigerator. Well,
suffice it to say I forgot completely about that jar and
we moved a few times and it ended way in the back of the
fridge.

Probably 4 years later, my brother comes to visit from out
of town and he helped himseld to the contents of my fridge.
He was wolfing down a bag of tortilla chips with a jar of
salsa I did not know that I had; I was horror-stricken
when I realized it was *that* jar. He thought it was great
and protested when I insisted on taking it away. I was
really worried that he would fall seriously ill, but he
never did. It mighta served him right for mining the back
of someone's fridge without asking...

While I probably knew better already, it was a sharp
reminder of the importance of properly labelling
things and all.

Of course, I'd long since learned how to make salsa,
basically, don't try too hard and it is always good
(kinda like good Q).

Cheers,
Dana
Tyler Hopper

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Blues Lyne" > wrote in message
> > Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> > refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> > Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.

> I've kept if for many weeks.High in acid, it lasts a long time.
>

> > Also, is there a pretty dependable way to tell if it's not safe to use?

> You get the runs after using it. If that happens, don't use it again.
> Ed

Heh, my measure is if there's anything fuzzy growing on it. Then again, your can
scrape that off and heat it up in a pot.

Seriously, as Ed says it has a very high acid content and will keep for a very
long time.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper