Randy

Default Ceramic ooker question?

I've been Q'n on a WSM for about 2 years and have been happy with it.
My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker? Is
that a "next level" in outdoor cooking and what are the benefits over
the WSM? Thanks -RP

frohe

Randy wrote:
> My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker?

Nope.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Tyler Hopper

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been Q'n on a WSM for about 2 years and have been happy with it.
> My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker? Is
> that a "next level" in outdoor cooking and what are the benefits over
> the WSM? Thanks -RP

I made exactly that move about 5 yrs. ago and have been very happy I did. Don't
get me wrong. The WSM is a very fine unit for the price. I think it kinda sucks
for grilling but that's not what I bought it for.

Ceramics in general have a very big advantage when it comes to heat control. I
can eyeball the dampers on my K and get within a few degrees of the target every
time and it stays there.

Before somebody yelps about heat control in a WSM, please don't. I know it works
very well because I own one. It simply isn't as precise and you have to screw
around with thermometers because they don't come with one.

I really think the ceramics have a big advantage in inclement weather; i.e. cold
and/or wind. The biggest disadvantage of a ceramic is it's capacity. Even a #9 K
won't hold enough for a big crowd, but you're dealing with the same thing with
the WSM.

I never really tried to get the WSM very hot but you can run a ceramic up way
higher than you'd want to cook anything on. I don't know if you can get high
temps on the WSM.

All that said, I'd do it again at the drop of a hat. I love the WSM but have
used it only once or twice since I got the K and that was because I was cooking
_a lot_ of meat.

_________
ht_redneck

Thomas Cormen

"frohe" > writes:

> > My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker?

> Nope.

I agree. Last summer, I replaced a BGE by a WSM, and I'm glad I did.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Dave Bugg

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> I made exactly that move about 5 yrs. ago and have been very happy I
> did. Don't get me wrong. The WSM is a very fine unit for the price. I
> think it kinda sucks for grilling but that's not what I bought it for.

Tyler's done a pretty good summary. Having gone from a WSM to a K7, it was
a positive step up for me. But, if I couldn't have afforded the K, I would
have stuck with the WSM.
Dave

Louis Cohen

Your food won't be any better; just more convenient.

The K is probably better for grilling/roasting/baking, though.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
>
> > I made exactly that move about 5 yrs. ago and have been very happy I
> > did. Don't get me wrong. The WSM is a very fine unit for the price. I
> > think it kinda sucks for grilling but that's not what I bought it for.

> Tyler's done a pretty good summary. Having gone from a WSM to a K7, it

was
> a positive step up for me. But, if I couldn't have afforded the K, I would
> have stuck with the WSM.
> Dave

CSS

You're missing your wallet being several hundred dollars lighter. I doubt a
K would make any better Q than the WSM, and they are a lot more expensive.

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been Q'n on a WSM for about 2 years and have been happy with it.
> My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker? Is
> that a "next level" in outdoor cooking and what are the benefits over
> the WSM? Thanks -RP

CSS

"Thomas Cormen" > wrote in message
.. .
> "frohe" > writes:
>
> > > My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker?

> > Nope.

> I agree. Last summer, I replaced a BGE by a WSM, and I'm glad I did.
>
> --THC

Why was that? Just curious.

frohe

Thomas Cormen wrote:
> I agree. Last summer, I replaced a BGE by a WSM, and I'm glad I

did.

I think we lose sight of the fact that it's the cook and not the
cooker that does the trick. Sure, we all like our conveniences and
have our piccadillos; but those aside, a dude who knows how to use an
ECB can crank out some kick ass Q that's just as good as the fellow
who happens to own a K.

frohe wrote:

> I think we lose sight of the fact that it's the cook and not the
> cooker that does the trick. Sure, we all like our conveniences and
> have our piccadillos; but those aside, a dude who knows how to use an
> ECB can crank out some kick ass Q that's just as good as the fellow
> who happens to own a K.

Yeah, but can he bake a pizza or sear a steak at 600+ degrees on it or
use it in the middle of the winter? For me those were the reasons for
choosing a K over a bullet-type smoker- the utility of the unit. If
money is a concern and/or all you're interested in is Q, then I agree
that a Kamado or other ceramic is not the (only) answer.

Thomas Cormen

"CSS" > writes:

> > I agree. Last summer, I replaced a BGE by a WSM, and I'm glad I did.

> Why was that? Just curious.

The WSM has more capacity than the BGE, it's easier (much easier) to
move around (say, on or off a deck), and it's easier to add fuel or
clean out ashes. I also had problems with my BGE: the felt gasket
where the top and bottom meet kept coming off, and internal ceramic
parts cracked (apparently a common occurrence). When I tried to get
the BGE company to send me replacement parts for the cracked pieces, I
got into a warranty hassle with them. Eventually they did the right
thing, but I shouldn't have had to repeatedly plead with them.

The BGE does have more thermal mass than the WSM, but I put sand in
the WSM water pan, which levels that playing field somewhat. The BGE
can get to much higher temps. And it looks cooler. These BGE
advantanges, IMHO, are vastly outweighed by the disadvantages.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Randy

Thanks guys for the answers, not at all what I was expecting. You just
saved me a lot of money because I was seriously considering buying a
ceramic. Cold weather isn't an issue for me I'm in Tucson, I have a
large stainless grill for searing, and my BBQ Guru arrived yesterday for
temp control. I think I'll invest the money you saved me in beer.
Thanks -RP

Oncler

Not knockin the ceramics, because I'd like to get one in a couple of years
when college is paid for BUT,
I've used my WSM in 0 degree weather this past winter in NE with good
results. Also, It works fine for me for grilling. I'm only cooking for 4 so
space hasn't been a problem tho...

Default User

Oncler wrote:

> Not knockin the ceramics, because I'd like to get one in a couple of years
> when college is paid for BUT,
> I've used my WSM in 0 degree weather this past winter in NE with good
> results. Also, It works fine for me for grilling. I'm only cooking for 4 so
> space hasn't been a problem tho...

Has anyone investigated fiberglass jackets for the WSM?

Brian Rodenborn

Oncler wrote:

> Not knockin the ceramics, because I'd like to get one in a couple of years
> when college is paid for BUT,
> I've used my WSM in 0 degree weather this past winter in NE with good
> results. Also, It works fine for me for grilling. I'm only cooking for 4 so
> space hasn't been a problem tho...

Has anyone investigated fiberglass jackets for the WSM?

Brian Rodenborn
SCUBApix

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Oncler wrote:
> >
> > Not knockin the ceramics, because I'd like to get one in a couple of

years
> > when college is paid for BUT,
> > I've used my WSM in 0 degree weather this past winter in NE with good
> > results. Also, It works fine for me for grilling. I'm only cooking for 4

so
> > space hasn't been a problem tho...

> Has anyone investigated fiberglass jackets for the WSM?
>

> Brian Rodenborn

I used some fibreglass insulation left over from a major house addition on
my old ECB. It worked great. Cut a hole for the door. Also had a mod to
control the air flow from the bottom. Didn't cover the top at all. It held
temp just fine but still went through more charcoal than my ceramic does. It
might have done better if I would have insulated the top also. But that
wouldn't be easy.

I used duct tape at the seem and a piece of wire around the top of the
insulation (about an inche below the very top) to hold the insulation in
place. It was about 3-4 inches of insulation.

SCUBApix

SCUBApix wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message

> > Has anyone investigated fiberglass jackets for the WSM?

> I used some fibreglass insulation left over from a major house addition on
> my old ECB. It worked great.

Thanks, sounds interesting.

Brian Rodenborn
Tyler Hopper

"Default User" > wrote in message
> SCUBApix wrote:
> >
> > "Default User" > wrote in message

> > > Has anyone investigated fiberglass jackets for the WSM?

> > I used some fibreglass insulation left over from a major house addition on
> > my old ECB. It worked great.

> Thanks, sounds interesting.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Somebody used to use a cut down water heater blanket and said it worked quite
well.

Tyler Hopper