JaKe

Default Sweet dry rubs?

I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
Any recipes are appreciated.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
frohe

JaKe wrote:
> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

overpowering.
> Any recipes are appreciated.

Here's my all-time favorite rub...
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Works for me!
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

BOB

frohe wrote:
> JaKe wrote:
>> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
>> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
>> Any recipes are appreciated.

> Here's my all-time favorite rub...
> Salt
> Pepper
> Garlic powder
>
> Works for me!
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

That's my favorite, back to the basics, rub, too.

BUT, JaKe asked for a "sweet one" so I'd recommend adding some turbino or brown
sugar, with the warning that sugars will caramelize and probably burn at high
temps, or long cooking times.

BOB
who used "garlic-pepper" (mix) and then salted the brisket and picnic this past
weekend

Douglas Barber

frohe wrote:
> JaKe wrote:
>
>>I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
>>taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

> overpowering.
>
>>Any recipes are appreciated.

> Here's my all-time favorite rub...
> Salt
> Pepper
> Garlic powder
>
> Works for me!

That is a winner for sure in my book. If you can cook a good slab of
ribs, in particular, nothing will let them speak for themselves better
than that. (OK, so I cheat and toss in some MSG). It'll come as a
revelation to anyone who's never tasted them that way. And if you're
still learning fire control, how much smoke to apply, and such, you get
a better sense of what you're doing to that meat, from trial to trial,
when it's relatively unseasoned (see how carefully I avoided saying
"nekkid"?

When people ask for "barbecue recipes" I often suspect that they are not
putting the emphasis, in perfecting their barbecue, on what I have come
to believe is most important part, which is fire control (including both
temperature regulation and controlling the application of smoke) and
recognizing degrees of done-ness - which I've got no business suggesting
is the case in this thread, I just mention it as a general point of
interest.

frohe

BOB wrote:
> BUT, JaKe asked for a "sweet one"

Oops. Forgot about that part.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Jeffrey Jocsak

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:41:05 GMT, frohe wrote:

> JaKe wrote:
>> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
>> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

> overpowering.
>> Any recipes are appreciated.

> Here's my all-time favorite rub...
> Salt
> Pepper
> Garlic powder
>
> Works for me!

I love it.. How much of each?
Duwop

Douglas Barber wrote:
> frohe wrote:
>> Here's my all-time favorite rub...
>> Salt
>> Pepper
>> Garlic powder
>>
>> Works for me!

> That is a winner for sure in my book. If you can cook a good slab of
> ribs, in particular, nothing will let them speak for themselves better
> than that. (OK, so I cheat and toss in some MSG).

Amen brother! I didnt know it till I tried it, sing those hosannas!
Taste the meat for it is good sayeth the Q.

>It'll come as a
> revelation to anyone who's never tasted them that way. And if you're
> still learning fire control, how much smoke to apply, and such, you
> get a better sense of what you're doing to that meat, from trial to
> trial, when it's relatively unseasoned

Say it again brother!

>(see how carefully I avoided
> saying "nekkid"?

Oops!

CHORUS:
> When people ask for "barbecue recipes" I often suspect that they are
> not putting the emphasis, in perfecting their barbecue, on what I
> have come to believe is most important part, which is fire control
> (including both temperature regulation and controlling the
> application of smoke) and recognizing degrees of done-ness - which
> I've got no business suggesting is the case in this thread, I just
> mention it as a general point of interest.

Say it loud, say it clear.

Cuz I sure can't

Dale

frohe

Jeffrey Jocsak wrote:
>> Here's my all-time favorite rub...
>> Salt
>> Pepper
>> Garlic powder

> I love it.. How much of each?

That's a tough one since I don't really measure. I just sprinkle them
on til they look about right.
And, everyone has their own tastes so the best thing to do is
expeiment with it til ya get it how ya like it.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Steve Calvin

Jeffrey Jocsak wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:41:05 GMT, frohe wrote:
>

>>JaKe wrote:
>>
>>>I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
>>>taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

>>overpowering.

Well, this is a little sweet and definately different:

1 large can frozen orange juice - don't add any water
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
1/2 cup of mustard (regular yellow, not dry)
1/2 cup of whiskey (anything that ya got, cheap stuff works fine)
1/4 cup soy sauce (optional)
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce (I recomment L&P)
Grated onion and garlic to taste (I wouldn't advise using dried)
dump everything in a blender and mix

Another variation, depending on what I'm looking for is some chipotle
peppers or tabasco, etc.

Freezes well.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Jeffrey Jocsak wrote:

>>> overpowering.

> Well, this is a little sweet and definately different:
> <snipped>

OOPS, sorry - I missed the DRY part....

--
Steve

Monroe, of course...

In article >, JaKe > wrote:

> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
> Any recipes are appreciated.

Title: SWEET SENSATION~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE

1/4 c Ground Allspice
1/4 c Brown sugar
1/4 c Onion powder
2 T Salt
2 t Ground Nutmeg
2 t Ground cinnamon
2 t Dried Thyme

good stuff!

monroe(esp on pork)
JaKe

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > Jeffrey Jocsak wrote:

> > Well, this is a little sweet and definately different:
> > <snipped>

> OOPS, sorry - I missed the DRY part....
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Mmmm, don't worry -- sounds great!

--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
Elvin Jones
JaKe

"Monroe, of course..." wrote:

> In article >, JaKe > wrote:
>
> > I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> > taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
> > Any recipes are appreciated.

> Title: SWEET SENSATION~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE
>
> 1/4 c Ground Allspice
> 1/4 c Brown sugar
> 1/4 c Onion powder
> 2 T Salt
> 2 t Ground Nutmeg
> 2 t Ground cinnamon
> 2 t Dried Thyme
>

> good stuff!
>
> monroe(esp on pork)

Ohh yeah, that sounds great - thanks.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
Elvin Jones
Tyler Hopper

"Jeffrey Jocsak" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:41:05 GMT, frohe wrote:
>
> > JaKe wrote:
> >> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> >> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

> > overpowering.
> >> Any recipes are appreciated.

> > Here's my all-time favorite rub...
> > Salt
> > Pepper
> > Garlic powder
> >
> > Works for me!

> I love it.. How much of each?

I mix it up in a good sized batch for convenience.

1 part kosher salt

1 part cracked (not ground) black pepper

1/2 part garlic powder.

I've done many a different rub on ribs in particular and this one is the hands
down winner as far as my family is concerned. Also slather them with CYM before
applying the rub.

_________
ht_redneck

BOB

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Jocsak wrote:

>> Well, this is a little sweet and definately different:
>> <snipped>

> OOPS, sorry - I missed the DRY part....

LOL!
This thread's coming up with some great ideas, even if some of them *do* miss a
word or so...

BOB

BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, JaKe > wrote:
>
>> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
>> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
>> Any recipes are appreciated.

> Title: SWEET SENSATION~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE
>
> 1/4 c Ground ********
> 1/4 c Brown sugar
> 1/4 c Onion powder
> 2 T Salt
> 2 t Ground Nutmeg
> 2 t Ground cinnamon
> 2 t Dried Thyme
>

> good stuff!
>
> monroe(esp on pork)

SHhhhhhhhh!

(Keep the allspice as a secret, especially Jamaican Allspice. Don't tell
anyone.)

BOB
and get the berries and grind 'em yourself

Stan Marks

In article >, JaKe > wrote:

> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
> Any recipes are appreciated.

I'm new to this group (will post an official intro soon) but I use a
sweet rub on my ribs (and briskets) that you might like to try. It's
really easy, too.

I mix McCormick's Season-All with either some brown sugar or turbinado
and get ribs that have a really nice spicy-sweet taste to them. Don't
even need any sauce! The proportions of Season-All to sugar are
approximately 1:1 (i.e.: a cup of seasoning to a cup of sugar, etc.),
but you may want to experiment with that. If you have a different
seasoned salt (Lawry's, homemade, etc.) that you prefer, then use that,
instead.

As someone else mentioned, too much sugar and too high heat can cause
the sugar to caramelize and burn, so I suggest that you rub your ribs
the night before and let the rub "infuse" itself into the meat overnight
in the fridge. Then, if you're worried about the sugar, just brush it
off the meat before you put it in the smoker.

Stan Marks
Monroe, of course...

In article >, " BOB" >
wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:
> > In article >, JaKe > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> >> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
> >> Any recipes are appreciated.

> > Title: SWEET SENSATION~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE
> >
> > 1/4 c Ground ********
> > 1/4 c Brown sugar
> > 1/4 c Onion powder
> > 2 T Salt
> > 2 t Ground Nutmeg
> > 2 t Ground cinnamon
> > 2 t Dried Thyme
> >

> > good stuff!
> >
> > monroe(esp on pork)

> SHhhhhhhhh!
>
> (Keep the allspice as a secret, especially Jamaican Allspice. Don't tell
> anyone.)
>
> BOB
> and get the berries and grind 'em yourself

What do Jamaicans know about cooking? ;-)
I grind all of my cinnamon and nutmeg fresh too. It's an integral part
of my exercise regime!
One thing: this stuff is best made fresh-it does not keep for years in
the pantry. Make a batch and use it up.

monroe(secret not too terribly safe with me)
JaKe

A nice big granite Mortar and Pestle -- essential kitchen tools.

Just like Jamie Oliver uses.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
Elvin Jones
Monroe, of course...

In article >, JaKe > wrote:

> A nice big granite Mortar and Pestle -- essential kitchen tools.
>
> Just like Jamie Oliver uses.

Yeah and every Thai grandmother for generations back....
Those little labware M&Ps are great for grinding a bit of cloves but
don't have the oomph and capacity for a proper green curry paste. The
bigger the unit, the easier it is to work....

monroe(bambambambam)

Tyler Hopper

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, JaKe > wrote:
>
> > A nice big granite Mortar and Pestle -- essential kitchen tools.
> >
> > Just like Jamie Oliver uses.

> Yeah and every Thai grandmother for generations back....
> Those little labware M&Ps are great for grinding a bit of cloves but
> don't have the oomph and capacity for a proper green curry paste. The
> bigger the unit, the easier it is to work....
>
> monroe(bambambambam)

I have an oldish electric burr coffee grinder I use for spices. Clean it out
every once in a while by running a cup of dry brown rice thru it. Works like a
charm.

Tyler

BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, " BOB" >
> wrote:
>

>> SHhhhhhhhh!
>>
>> (Keep the allspice as a secret, especially Jamaican Allspice. Don't tell
>> anyone.)
>>
>> BOB
>> and get the berries and grind 'em yourself

> What do Jamaicans know about cooking? ;-)

Abou the same that they know about beer! Two of my favorite brews come down
island.

> I grind all of my cinnamon and nutmeg fresh too. It's an integral part
> of my exercise regime!

I can't find good fresh nutmeg, it always has little critters in the unground
"nuts". Is this normal? Or am I just super unlucky with nutmeg (even from
Penzeys).

> One thing: this stuff is best made fresh-it does not keep for years in
> the pantry. Make a batch and use it up.

'Bout a week's worth at a time...no more than a month's.

> monroe(secret not too terribly safe with me)

As long as nobody reads this thread.

BOB

L. Cook

> That is a winner for sure in my book. If you can cook a good slab of
> ribs, in particular, nothing will let them speak for themselves better
> than that. (OK, so I cheat and toss in some MSG). It'll come as a
> revelation to anyone who's never tasted them that way. And if you're
> still learning fire control, how much smoke to apply, and such, you get
> a better sense of what you're doing to that meat, from trial to trial,
> when it's relatively unseasoned (see how carefully I avoided saying
> "nekkid"?
>
> When people ask for "barbecue recipes" I often suspect that they are not
> putting the emphasis, in perfecting their barbecue, on what I have come
> to believe is most important part, which is fire control (including both
> temperature regulation and controlling the application of smoke) and
> recognizing degrees of done-ness - which I've got no business suggesting
> is the case in this thread, I just mention it as a general point of
> interest.

I agree. You don't need to season prior to cooking, although, for us who
have cooked for more years than I am going to admit, thank you very much, it
is hard to resist. And southern style barbeque, which is popular here in
Kentucky, is meat that is cooked to doneness, then slathered with barbeque
sauce.

I'll confess to going "against" the book on one thing, though--I love
grilling chicken and putting on a sweet bbq sauce before it is finished so
as to have some of that blackened/burned sauce on the chicken pieces. I
just love that.

L. Cook

"Jeffrey Jocsak" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:41:05 GMT, frohe wrote:
>
> > JaKe wrote:
> >> I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> >> taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to

> > overpowering.
> >> Any recipes are appreciated.

> > Here's my all-time favorite rub...
> > Salt
> > Pepper
> > Garlic powder
> >
> > Works for me!

> I love it.. How much of each?

Mix your seasonings sort of like you would if you were mixing a flour
seasoning for fried chicken...taste it.

L. Cook

> I mix it up in a good sized batch for convenience.
>
> 1 part kosher salt
>
> 1 part cracked (not ground) black pepper
>
> 1/2 part garlic powder.
>
> I've done many a different rub on ribs in particular and this one is the

hands
> down winner as far as my family is concerned. Also slather them with CYM

before
> applying the rub.
>
> _________
> ht_redneck

Ummm....what is CYM?

L. Cook

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, JaKe > wrote:
>
> > I'm tired of all the paprika/pepper etc pork rubs -- they all kinda
> > taste the same. I'm looking for a sweet one, nothing to overpowering.
> > Any recipes are appreciated.

> Title: SWEET SENSATION~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE
>
> 1/4 c Ground Allspice
> 1/4 c Brown sugar
> 1/4 c Onion powder
> 2 T Salt
> 2 t Ground Nutmeg
> 2 t Ground cinnamon
> 2 t Dried Thyme
>

> good stuff!
>
> monroe(esp on pork)

Here is a pretty good rub that many people said was good, and which I
tried with pretty good success this weekend. I used it on both pork and
beef ribs. Anyway, here it is for your perusal:

2 T. Paprika
1 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 T. salt
1 t. ground black pepper
2 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. ground nutmeg

This rub made excellent ribs that were enjoyed by all both dry and wet.

frohe

L. Cook wrote:
> Ummm....what is CYM?

Cheap Yellow Mustard
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

L. Cook

"frohe" > wrote in message
> L. Cook wrote:
> > Ummm....what is CYM?

> Cheap Yellow Mustard
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

Very cool, dude.

Tyler Hopper

"L. Cook" > wrote in message

> "frohe" > wrote in message
> > L. Cook wrote:
> > > Ummm....what is CYM?

> > Cheap Yellow Mustard
> > --
> > -frohe
> > Life is too short to be in a hurry
> >

> Very cool, dude.

I think Hound gave me the CYM idea. It holds the rub and contributes to the bark
when the rub is so simple. You won't taste the mustard when the ribs are cooked
properly.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

Rubs Granby Barbecue 104 08-08-2009 12:47 AM
Question on BBQ Rubs Wayne Boatwright[_3_] Barbecue 17 19-01-2008 07:19 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM
How do I keep rubs fresh. willy lowman General Cooking 21 31-05-2006 08:19 PM